IMDb > The 65th Primetime Emmy Awards (2013) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The 65th Primetime Emmy Awards (TV) More at IMDbPro »

NPH is the only highlight! Rest Was a Snooze Fest!

Author: ShelbyTMItchell from Seymour Tennessee
23 September 2013

Really the only highlight of the evening was Neil Patrick Harris. As he can host the Tonys well. He needs to make hosting when How I Met Your Mother ends after 2014 a career. Even if the former Doogie Hauser's show ends, his career in hosting could be up in the making.

But other than that, it was really a snooze fest. Compared to Tina Fey and Amy Poehler opening up the awards. As both did an awesome job with the Golden Globes or so I read despite only seeing bits and parts of the Golden Globes show last January.

Still though it was a shame that only Jack Klugman, Larry Hagman, among others that only got a mentioned. Yet young actor like Corey Montieth got a huge tribute by Glee co-star, Jane Lynch. Really the old actors did nothing wrong compared to Montieth's drug troubles.

Still NPH hosted the show and brought some really good ratings due to his song and dance style thing. In seven years to a show that needed some zip.

Traditional award show with some funny moments

Author: Lucas from Czech Republic
23 September 2013

Oh, I think this was one of the weakest award shows in the last few years. Neil is very good host but this year it was not that good. In Tony Awards he was so much better. Show was not that funny like in previous years. Yet I was glad that I saw few of my favorites actors. Cast from American Horror Story, especially Jessica Lange was amazing, she looked great. The first dance number was good but just good. I remember dance number with Glee members, Nina Dobrev etc., that was great! But I liked a dance number with choreographers from SYTYCD and DWTS.

So, I think it was average and I hope that next year it will be better!

Looked like it was produced by Jr. High Schoolers.

Author: Eyebe Peisthoff
22 September 2013

The show runners rushed everything worthwhile while wasting time on tired dance numbers and extremely lame sketches by Neil Patrick Harris- what was the "serial hosting" bit anyway? If they were short on time that should have been the VERY first thing to go. Tribute to guy who killed himself but not to Jack Klugman? The music for the in memoriam piece didn't fit. The stars seemed unsure of themselves and unrehearsed. One of the worst executed Emmy shows I can remember.

Also... between the Candelabra/Douglas/Damon, Elton, Lynch, Neil Harris, Modern Family & the 'Blazing Saddles' dance numbers- it was definitely one of the gayest Emmy telecasts. If that's their demographic, fine- but for me it's getting over saturated. The Emmys are becoming the Tonys.

My favorite moment was Bob Newhart finally getting his due in front of a standing ovation- yet even that seemed truncated considering his place in television & entertainment history.