IMDb > "The Flash" (2014) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Flash"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Flash" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 32:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Most of the rating comes from fan bias

Author: Cave Intee Forwin
4 February 2015

The spoilers here are very minor and will not affect your experience if you're the average person. Still, better safe than sorry.

WRITING (Conflicts, character actions, and dialogue)

The writing in this show is less than impressive. There is no such thing as subtlety and half the dialogue is them throwing in the word "fast" for the hell of it. At one point, a character says to some random thug "Freeze! Now, get on the ground or do you wanna find out the hard way that you're not faster than a bullet?" I'm actually quite certain that the line verbatim is worse than that.

A lot of plot points make no sense, and this is a huge problem with The Flash in general. The Flash is so fast that few conflicts are actually conflicts for The Flash, but rather than being creative and trying to think up interesting conflicts, they make the characters mentally incompetent to the point that The Flash, who can dodge a bullet, cannot dodge a punch. This actually becomes the main plot point of an entire episode. His inability to dodge attacks at normal speed makes no sense.

Also, he has a tendency to block bullets that he doesn't even know are there. In one episode, he reaches behind him and pinches a random spot behind his neck and there just happens to be a bullet there for him to block! What an ESSENTIALLY IMPOSSIBLE COINCIDENCE! That is the laziest writing ever. "We need our character to get shot at without getting shot. Let's just have him randomly reach back for some reason, I'm sure we'll figure it out in post."

There's an episode where he has to catch three motorcyclists. So, he runs to each of them, takes them to a police station and handcuffs them to a pole like he always does.

I'm just kidding, he creates roadblocks where he thinks they'll go so that he can make all the motorcyclists go towards each other, and then they won't know how to move past each other, so they'll stop and the police can get them, at which point there will be an utterance of "Checkmate." That last bit is also not a joke. That happened. This is actually something that a producer and a team of writers looked over and said "Nothing wrong here. Onwards to production!"

Also, this is My Little Pony with adults watching (so, just My Little Pony...with Rainbow Dash as the main character, I suppose). They like to have Aesops to each episode, and they're very basic moral lessons, or even broken ones, and then they'll do what's essentially a Dear Celestia inner monologue at the end of each episode. "Today, I learned..." Really? There's no subtlety in the character development at all. At certain points, I swear the characters literally look at the camera and go "I've really changed today. I used to think A and now I think B."

Here's a bit of dialogue meant to be badass.

(Right before Barry's about to leave.) "Barry." (Barry stops to see why his peer decided to stop him during this urgent mission.) "Yes?" "Run."

CONSISTENCY

There is no consistency with Barry's powers. The effects of running really fast (friction, air compression, etc.) turn on and off randomly. At one point, a woman's shirt burns off despite that making no sense whatsoever, presumably because one of the writers thought that the actress was hot and knew he had the power to get her to reveal a little more.

As I mentioned before, he just decides not to dodge punches. Or grab people's weapons to disarm them. He also runs slow enough for The Arrow to see him and aim at him when he's fast enough to see bullets. Bullets are so fast that 500 feet away, all you can do is blink before the bullet reaches you. Otherwise, you're completely still. Everything should be frozen for Barry, but he runs at the speed of a falcon from time to time.

TECHNICALITIES

Bullets and guns. Don't expect them to make sense. Physics. Chemistry. Science in general. Tensile strength being a huge factor when hitting someone? Hearing a sonic boom from something that hasn't gotten to you yet? A gun that creates the heat of the Big Bang? A needle the heat of the Sun would kill everyone in at least a one thousand mile radius. A warehouse the heat of all the energy in the universe (which, you might notice, doesn't make sense) would evaporate all matter in the entire solar system. But no worries here, just some second degree burns (these were normal humans that got second degree burns, not The Flash, so no superpowers to withstand the energy of the entire universe there). 500 proof alcohol? Iron oxide being uncommon?

Turn your brain off or get a hemorrhage. It's nice to see The Flash moving about with live actors (though poor actors), but that's it. That's the only pro. That's all this show gets.

Brutal Writing

Author: gogglesp from Canada
16 October 2014

The pilot was mediocre and the second episode got so much worse. The writing is unbelievably heavy handed. "You can do it, Barry" is not exactly a motivational speech that would inspire anyone to overcome self doubt. Oops, spoiler, the writing is literally that bad.

Apparently there are enough fan boys watching to give this how an 8.6 rating - that's even sadder than the quality of the show.

Complete waste of time.

Oh look, ten lines of text are required, but this show isn't worth ten lines of effort so I'll bore you with crappy writing, much like the pathetic character motivations and ham-fisted plot arcs.

oh lord..

Author: thehealthysideofvapor from Sydney
9 November 2014

Nothing in this show makes any sense.. This proves to me that American television is getting dumber and less creative by the month!

The kid wakes up after nine months of being in a coma and just walks out straight away, with a tan and perfect hair.

No one seems that impressed that he can run at the speed of light..

The lab which blew up the whole city is still operating and although they claim to have lost everything, they can still afford to run this highly technical facility.. Oh yeah.. and its run by a bunch of kids. It seems kids are doing everything in this show.. where are the adults? Are we supposed to believe these 20 year olds are running advanced scientific laboratories?

Actors look so dumb and out of place it makes me want to grab a cheese grater and slowly rub it over my face, causing me as much pain as humanly possible, only to distract myself from the fact that I just watched this show.

If you cannot see how cheesy and bad this is, you have become immune to the American junk that is all around us, I urge you to watch real television. PLEASE SAVE YOURSELF THE TORTURE!

Entertaining but assumes the viewers are morons

Author: Jim de Graff from Canada
28 January 2015

When I was a lad back in the 60s my favourite super heroes were The Flash and Green Lantern. I'll discuss the horror that was the recent Green Lantern movie in that thread.

I was really looking forward to the 2014 version of The Flash. While John Wesley Shipp made a great Flash back in 1990, the writers just had to inject the usual cornball humour that ruined the show for me. The 2014 Flash suffers from a different problem. The writers assume that the viewers are morons. Two examples follow:

In one episode, Flash fights an opponent who can turn to steel. He defeats him with a risky move that requires him to run at supersonic speed, then enter a building and punch the villain. If the theory is wrong The Flash dies. Here's an idea. How about using the same speed to launch something like a brick at him? In either case, though, how does one stop in the length of a high school corridor when one is traveling at supersonic speed?

But the biggest problem is that the writers continue to ignore the fact that The Flash can run really really fast. That's kind of the whole basis of the series. Check out the episode where he is up against Captain Cold and Heat Wave. The two villains are in the middle of the street and the only way he can defeat them is to get hit by both guns at the same time? We just saw Barry serve coffee to a room full of customers without being detected (because he can run really really fast - get it?). Here's an idea. Run really really fast and take their guns away before they can fire them.

Then there's the other option. As my son and I watched the show we repeatedly turned to each other and said the single word, "sniper". Somehow all those police just overlooked the fact that they carry guns and neither of the villains was wearing a bullet proof vest. And even if they were. Head shot! Duh!

So I am tired of being treated like a moron. I think I'll be passing on future episodes. Pity.

Would Somebody Please Shut Iris West Up!

Author: Bones T from United States
10 May 2015

Every episode Iris West goes on and on about how "Barry lied to me," "My father lied to me," "my boyfriend lied to me." Talk about a broken record. First she goes from being a waitress to magically getting a job as a top reporter. Then she spends the rest of her screen time accusing people of lying to her, then acting like a 10 year old by giving everyone the silent treatment. Her rants are always about, "I thought you loved me," "I thought you were my best friend." Unfortunately I know I am not the only person who just wants someone to put a bullet in her head and get that annoying character off the show. And why on earth would anyone want to date or live with that shrew? Her character adds nothing to any storyline. Get rid of her. It is otherwise a pretty good, albeit, a kind of childish show.

The live action DC show we deserve.

Author: Andrew Gold from United States
18 April 2016

Barry Allen was introduced during "Arrow" season 2, which was the show in its prime. After setting him up in the universe, they went on to make a show based entirely around Barry Allen becoming The Flash. Since "Arrow" was getting darker and darker, "The Flash" went in the opposite direction. It's the tonal antithesis of "Arrow". Lighthearted, quirky, and silly, yet grounded enough to make us care, and the writing is just as sharp and witty as you'd hope.

When the characters were first introduced in the "Arrow" episode, I thought I would hate them in "The Flash". But after a few episodes, each character is developed with a certain role in the show, and it works wonders. Harrison Wells as the enigmatic mastermind behind STAR Labs, Caitlin as the straitlaced neurotic scientist, Cisco as the sarcastic pop-culture referencing comic relief who comes up with each villain's "super" name, and Barry Allen as the relatable everyman who was struck by lightning and became the fastest man alive. Then there's Barry's family - journalist Iris West, his foster sister and secret love of his life, and the detective with a heart of gold Joe West, his foster father. The best part is the chemistry between them all. There are clashes between the strict Wells and the snarky Cisco, Barry and Iris' boyfriend Eddie who you're not too sure about at first, and Eddie and Joe West with the usual "you're dating my daughter" dynamic. But none of it comes across as artificial. You believe all of the character interactions because they're developed well enough so that you're fully aware of how each person would react to each situation, and the writers are spot on when it comes to their motivations and actions.

The acting itself is surprisingly great. It's refreshing in a CW show to have a likable good actor as the lead, and Grant Gustin knocks it out of the park. He's usually upbeat and quirky but when he's given the important emotional beats, he pulls them off well enough to tug at your heartstrings. Everyone else is great too, even the "freak-of-the-weeks" like Captain Cold played with appropriate coldness by Wentworth Miller. The writing is also excellent for the most part. It takes a few episodes to get going but once it starts up it does not slow down. As the story starts to unravel and the plot slowly reveals itself, it's hard to take your eyes off the screen. There are more than a few jaw-dropping episodes such as the season 1 finale, and superb looking special effects and CGI monsters, namely Gorilla Grodd and King Shark.

Like "Arrow", there are some soap opera-y moments, but they're placed sparingly enough in the series that they don't take you out of the show. The dialogue is silly sometimes but that's what gives it its charm. It's not supposed to be brooding and gloomy like "Arrow"; it's light and upbeat while still delivering truly awesome comic book moments. And the threatening villains remain threatening - the Reverse-Flash is legitimately menacing, and the tone shifts appropriately for the episodes that he's in. In short, the writing is consistently great while managing to throw a few surprises at you along the way.

"The Flash" is a must-watch for "Arrow" fans, comic book fans, or action sci-fi fans in general. It's a fun take on the superhero genre and once it hits its stride, it delivers some of the coolest superhero ideas ever explored on TV. Sure, there's some filler, there's corniness. But when it's supposed to be emotional, it is. When it's supposed to be badass, it is. It's not a perfect show by any means, but it delivers on exactly what it sets out to. "The Flash" is a blast.

Even this forgiving DC fan couldn't get past The Flash's stupidity

Author: justplainbutch from United States
25 March 2016

I wanted to like this show, I really did. But when the writers consistently try to treat me like I'm a nine-year-old with ADHD, it gets old. Plot holes in this series are ENORMOUS.

Who pays to keep S.T.A.R. Labs open? Who is feeding the meta-human prisoners and where do they shower? Why can Barry run faster than a bullet but not a flagpole being swung at him? There is obviously no one at the writers' table who is an actual scientist. It is apparent by the plethora of scientific errors. (500 proof alcohol? "Knots per mile?") The dialogue is really, really bad. For example, "Barry. Run." The chemistry between characters is forced. Plots are the same each week, save for a different villain.

And consistency is a problem. Only when a punch line is needed do Barry's sneakers flame up after running or (to get her to take off her shirt) Felicity's blouse catch on fire.

All in all, I am really amazed by how bad the writing on this show is and yet how highly regarded it seems to be on IMDb. To say The Flash is written more poorly than The Dukes of Hazzard or Love Boat would be an understatement.

Childish...

Author: radiantheta from Egypt
13 September 2015

This is my first time writing a review, but that's just how irritating this show was for me, one word to describe this show is cliché. First of all the show is so repetitive, the villain makes a first appearance and the flash with all his speed and abilities has to lose to the villain at first and then go prepare himself in star labs then he beats the villain in a rather disappointing showdown, excuse me but İ find it illogical that the flash would stop right before catching a shapeshifter just to tell him "You cant outrun me" resulting in his escape, really ? what a cliché. And yes the inconsistency of the flash's powers why isn't he able to avoid getting punched ? or speed his way out of a group of bees ? or avoid getting hit by a freezing/fire throwing gun ? it's just lazy on the writers' side to not try and find real challenges to his abilities instead of just contradicting the powers he shows in other unnecessary aspects of his life. Show is also full of plot holes, star labs is the place where everything about barry's identity is kept secret yet people just keep barging in on them like iris confirming the flash's identity, also how eddie keeping barry's identity a secret is affecting his relationship with iris is beyond me it's like they're begging for something to fill the episodes with, not to mention the corny dialogue. Also if cisco put his mind to it he can cure cancer.

Its just bout making money!

Author: puck-45578 from germany
19 May 2016

Sry for my English - i am from Germany!

I'm still watching this sh..t, just because i like the flash and there are some good animations where he moves fast. I don't have anything against the actors -still they upset me sometimes with the artificial drama. The most annoying is the story - the logical things. They try to force so much science into the episodes but they violate the basic laws of physics at the same time.

For example: Why must flash punch the giant gorilla with his hand??? Pick a f...g steel bar, speed up to mach-8 and punch the gorilla with the steel bar - that would be clever! Punching the gorilla with the hand on mach-8 is just stupid and you risk damage to the hand, nobody would do that - and you can apply this example to every episode!

Then there is "Mr. Cold" or whatever he is called. He is not even a real enemy to the flash. He cant do sh..t against flash with his canon. And why does flash have to run into the ice-cannon and fire-cannon at the same time to defeat the villains? Again do the same trick with the steel bar (like with the gorilla) and there would never be a problem.

There is something the writers and directors need to understand: The flash is so fast that it is difficult to find a real enemy for him. Still this is the challenge - to find a villain who beats flash with speed or with his cleverness - the reversed flash was a nice try (with his dead again not being logical).

No creativity, no logic - just stupid scripts.

Second season: awful script, acting and continuity

Author: Diego Berges from United States
25 May 2016

In my opinion, this show started great with a surprising first season, but as the second season came along is like the show- runners and script writers ran out of ideas and started doing random stuff that made no sense whatsoever. The second season had way too many plot holes and continuity errors. Too many things made no sense whatsoever and many other things were left completely unexplained. It was almost as if the both the show- runners and the script writers were changed halfway through the season and they had no idea what was going on with the show. I won't get too much into detail but an example of this was the Zoom almost killing "Jay Garrick" flashback at the beginning of the season. Technically, with what happened later on the show, that NEVER happened since it was all made up by zoom, so why show a flashback to an event that never happened?! A second example was when Zoom killed his Jay Garrick self in front of the team. He arrived with the body at his lair and said "Well, this is a complication" but then like 3 episodes later supposedly it was all part of his plan all along and his Jay Garrick self agreed to being killed. So why, if it was all part of his plan all along and his other self agreed to being killed, why was it a complication? The season already ended and this was never explained. These two things I just mentioned were left completely unexplained and it caused continuity errors with things that happened later that SAME season. They create quite the plot holes as well. But these are just two of perhaps the 10 to 15 things that were left completely unexplained by that season. It is almost as if they just rushed through the script writing without revising it after they were done. They really didn't think things through with this season. Maybe the success of the first season got in their heads and they thought they could just make a bunch of random illogical stuff and people would like it.

Another thing is that the acting this season felt less natural, like they suddenly forgot how to act sometimes. It bugged me quite a lot, specially with Danielle Panabaker who, in my opinion, had the worst acting this season.This does not applies to Tom Cavanagh because he is actually a great actor.

So yeah, unfortunately, looking at how the second season played out, if in the third season they don't do something to fix all the errors they made in the second season then this show will get nowhere, and if they continue making more continuity errors and plot holes then this show will completely fail.

Page 1 of 32:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]