IMDb > A Country Christmas Story (2013) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

A Country Christmas Story (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Not Your Typical Christmas Feel Good Movie

Author: Tim Reynolds from North Shore, Oahu, Hawaii
17 December 2013

This time of year I love channel surfing for Christmas movies...and most seem to be written from the same outline with a twist here or there and offer very little challenge when it comes to picking up on the foreshadowing and predicting the finale ... I usually find myself mentally jumping ahead to the ending when I am no more than 1/3 or 1/2 way through and almost always being correct on all major details...the attractive girl with history, the attractive guy with history, a third party that facilitates their unlikely and usually acrimonious meeting, a slow to start to their awkward romance that explodes 3/4 of the way through into a passionate, feel good relationship, only to implode 10 minutes later with accusations of lying or withholding pertinent facts only to conclude minutes later with a reconciliation that is sappy sweet, mostly unsatisfying and almost always offering the viewer a corny gleam of hope that Santa is indeed alive and well... A Country Christmas Story is different; first of all, it is not very Christmasy; it could just as easily have been set during another time of year; but I found that it thoughtfully offered up dialogue on issues that are not seasonal nor frequently confronted from the eyes of a child and played that theme out with some great acting, several original country tracks worthy of more listening and a satisfying, believable and Santa-less ending...

Got tricked again :(

Author: Meta Pomeiske
25 August 2014

OMG! I fell for Dolly Parton again. I mean, I saw her at the tag line, therefore I had to watch it. But like my fellow speakers so nicely pointed out, where is Christmas? If only in the title! What about Country? I actually expected a bit more country music due to the title and, öhm, Dolly Parton. My bad.

It's basically a talent show turned into a movie. I don't like talent shows. Can somebody tell me, why a season film has to be particularly cheesy??? Is there a rule for that?

On the plus side, I really like those subtle morality messages. They were decent. But in consideration of those said messages, I have the feeling this flick is made for kids and teens....?

Dang you, Ms Parton, I am such a sucker for your appearances and music ;D Damn me.

And would somebody give her that well desevered Oscar, already!!! What does it take to do so?! I'd carve her one meself it that helps the process?!

Loved This Film

Author: Christmas-Reviewer from United States
12 September 2016

A Country Christmas Story, is a not-to- be-missed film about a young Appalachian girl who pursues her dream to become a country singer and journeys to Dollywood. Stars Dolly Parton, Brian McKnight and introducing Desiree Ross.

This film is way above average. The film created a world that I wish did exist. The film has a charming lead Dolly kind of plays a guardian angel in this film. The end of the story might surprise many of you. The film is great entertainment. Even thought the film is classified as "A Christmas Movie" its really about a girl with a dream and a mother who disproves. It could take place in October.

The film is runs a brief 90 minutes so you will never be bored.

Dollywood 's Got Talent

Author: story_by_corey from United States
14 December 2013

What is a Christmas movie? That is a question I kept asking myself as I watched this movie. Most of the Lifetime Christmas movie plots center around the spirit of Christmas opening the heart of some long-lost curmudgeon, characters discovering the true meaning of Christmas or the story of somebody overcoming obstacles to get home for the holidays. This movie has none of those elements. In fact, you don't even see a Christmas tree until 1.5 hour into the movie. The movie felt like one of those personal interest clips they play just before some unknown talent goes on a reality show like America's Got Talent. The last 30 minutes of the movie feels like a long ad for Dollywood. The story is a formula Lifetime relationship movie where the characters resolve their irreconcilable differences in the last 10 minutes of the movie and live happily ever after.

Worth watching when there is nothing else recorded on your DVR just to hear Desiree Ross' great voice or if you are a Dolly Parton fan. Otherwise, watch your other Christmas movies first!