IMDb > Criminal (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Criminal

Criminal More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A Great Suspense Movie From Start To Finish.

Author: anopenmindedlady from Turkey
17 April 2016

Criminal is a 2016 American action thriller drama film directed by Ariel Vromen and written by Douglas Cook and David Weisberg. The film is about an ex-con who is implanted with a dead CIA agent's memories to finish an assignment. The film stars Kevin Costner, Gary Oldman and Tommy Lee Jones in their second collaboration following the 1991 film JFK.

The memories and skills of deceased CIA agent Bill Pope are implanted into gruff convict, Jericho Stewart, in order to finish an incomplete mission.

Handsome Actor Ryan Reynolds plays the role of a CIA agent in London, he struggles to come back to to his home base. Two opponents are chasing him, the CIA and a team of terrorists. When the terrorists come closer to the CIA agent a series of breathtaking incidents will happen and the dramatic climax comes and will definitely please all the audience who love Great Action Movies.

Really liked this movie

Author: sherryheim from Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
17 April 2016

This was a really good movie, I don't understand all the critic's pans. Yes, there is a sci-fi element, so what? Jericho is a man who suffered a brain injury as a child that took away the use of his frontal lobe. This left him with the animal instincts of survival with basically no other human emotional traits as well as leaving that portion of his brain as virtually a blank canvas. The movie was action-packed, there were no slow points, the acting was spot on, the photography was great, the characters well defined. Jericho is a human experiment that the government forced to happen. The results are what one might expect from government interference in such a situation. If the world every goes full on crazy, I want Jericho on my team! I would go to see this movie again with a friend and I will certainly buy the DVD when it comes out. Costner is such a well developed actor and does a great job with the part. Make no mistake, that Jericho dude is one bad...

Great movie to see. Costner does a good job in his portrayal

Author: cfmmcquillan from United States
18 April 2016

This was a very good movie I am so glad I went to see it in spite of the spoilers people have been saying about it. Kevin Costner did a great job of transitioning from a bad guy to a guy that was just learning to have emotions love the ending of the movie. You should go see this movie in spite of the critics. I don't want to give too much detail about the movie but I really enjoyed it. In the beginning he didn't do what everyone wanted him to do and I think that is what made the movie good because it wasn't straight up predictable. Some parts you may guess on but not totally. When the bad guys make progress you enjoy seeing g them get what's coming to them. Go see this movie. Great cast too.

Mr Costner.... WOW

Author: kevjoyce-41340
25 April 2016

This is my first ever review of a movie and boy what movie.

The cast is perfect, the setting is brilliant. The story flawless (if you let yourself go with it)

First of all let me say that Mr Costner has proved beyond a shadow of a doubt he is one of the greatest actors of this or any generation. His performance is powerful, stirring and just plain amazing. I would never of thought he could portray a character like this. This is not the man from Robin Hood.. far from a Field of Dreams and so much more than a Waterworld. The pace never lets up and you will find yourself shocked, stunned , cheering, laughing and wincing in equal measure. All parts are played by cast brilliantly and with conviction. The action sequences do not feel like set pieces but more like a fluid progression of the plight of the main character. Gal Godot is beautiful in this movie, frail and torn and you can see it, I mean really see it. Ms Gabot is proving to be far more than a pretty face (not that I only thought that) Ryan Renolds is on key as usual in a familiar kind of role. At one point (i'll let you figure which part I mean) my heart breaks for the man. Gary Oldman is frantic and who can blame him , also brilliantly done. I'm not going to dissect the movie as I'm sure many will but only say be prepared for a movie that will draw you in and keep you hooked until the very end and then have you begging for the movie to be longer. Down to direction, location, stunts, sfx BRAVO !! I'm not sure if this is a movie that will be looked upon as Oscar worthy (it should be) but for the sake of common sense and justice to a great performance, Mr Kevin Costner take a bow and I hope beyond hope that you get the recognition you deserve for this movie... Outstanding !!!!!

P.S sorry if my grammar offends (or amuses) :)

Criminal: Thankfully an all-star Cast.

Author: niutta-enrico from Italy
13 July 2016

This film has been saved by its stars: Ryan Reynolds first and Kevin Costner few minutes later will make you forget most of plot's unbelievable logical holes, awful editing (what's Alice Eve's end?), repetitive scenes and complete lack of bad guy's motive (Jordi Mollà).

And Tommy Lee Jones, Gal Gadot, Gary Oldman and Michael Pitt (Alice Eve here is little more than an extra) strive to fill with workmanship and dignity their otherwise gaunt supporting roles.

They all succeed in saving the day and in the end you won't fall asleep or leave theater in contempt. But on your way home you could probably comment that this is one of the most useless (or unconvincing) films you ever watched.

Well worth the admission price

Author: ljorewicz
16 April 2016

I absolutely loved this movie. I was on the edge of my seat the whole way through, and I thought I could figure it all out, but I was never able to see the twists and turns ahead of time. The thing I like best about it is that the movie - despite all the action, and gory action at that - is really all about people. People and personalities and knowing good vs evil and wrong from right...and how a person can know wrong from right, and then cherish that knowledge once one sees it. If it was a book it would be a page turner.

I was disappointed that few people were in the theater, and I can only speculate that most of the main actors are...what, too old to draw in the crowd? If so, that's sad, because this one is really worth seeing. Even buying a copy to keep.

And Kevin Costner deserves an Oscar.

The Ultimate Movie Review! - http://tss5078.blogspot.com - @tss5078

Author: Tss5078 from United States
9 May 2016

Twenty years ago, a similar film called Face Off debuted, and while the story seemed ridiculous, somehow it worked. Criminal is in the same boat, as audiences have been kept away by the complicated plot, which also seems to work quite well. The film starts with the brutal murder of a CIA agent, who has a secret vital to national security in his head. Out of desperation, the CIA turns to a doctor and an experimental procedure, which will allow the agents memories to be transferred into someone else's mind. The only problem is that the procedure requires a certain type of mind, the mind of a psychopath. Against his will, Jericho Stewart (Kevin Costner) is transferred to CIA headwaters and given the agents memories, but will he become the good agent and help save the world, or will he return to his murderous ways? Kevin Costner stars and reminds us all of what a terrific actor he truly is. It's hard to remember, considering that for the passed two decades he's done mostly romantic garbage, that you couldn't pay me to sit through. Costner returns to action as if he'd never been gone and does an amazing job playing this deeply conflicted, flawed man. Paired with an all-star cast, that features a ton of cameos, Criminal never slows down and will have you on the edge of your seat the whole time. It's not really the CIA crisis or the science fiction that keeps your interest throughout, it's the conflict growing in Jericho Stewart's brain, as he has essential turned into a person that is both good and evil. Yes, the story is a bit complicated, but it is fairly easy to follow, and Kevin Costner gives his best performance in at least a decade, making Criminal well worth the price of admission.

Mixed but very watchable thriller.

Author: Rawin1981 from UK
4 June 2016

No spoilers if you've seen the trailer (oh and the trailer really is one of those where if you've seen it, then you've seen all the best bits).

Criminal on paper looks like a safe bet, it's produced by super 'B' movie producer Avi Lerner (Olympus/London has fallen, Expendables) has an A list cast and a much worn premise, along the lines of Face Off or Ryan Reynolds lukewarm thriller from 2015 Self/less, involving body/mind swap sci-fi, while being set in a present day surrounding.

The premise, Reynolds young spy has his memory's implanted into Kevin Costners gruff, violent criminal by Dr Tommy Lee Jones, overseen by mostly shouty Spy boss Gary Oldman, to stop some bad men doing bad things with hacking and missiles. Costner's criminal escapes and goes on a bit of a rampage through London whilst also wrestling his own violent nature against Reynolds softer character traits seeping through (so basically he's got a bit of a split personality going on).

In other words it's a silly high concept plot line to effectively have Costner run around a city, beat up some bad guys, get into shoot outs, chases and save the day.

He also along the way tracks down Gal Gadot who is Reynolds wife, and by far the best at delivering anything near a believable character, followed by Tommy Lee Jones (in a very restrained role) in a very mixed bag of a movie.

The film was made for around 30 million dollars, so don't expect much big blockbuster action, although the few car chases and explosions there are, are done decently, the film still at times feels quite cheap. The pace is a little off as well as its a bit of a slog and feels longer than it should at times.

In terms of tone it's violent, full of bad language, and seems to think both of those pass as humour, they don't in the context they are used in this film and are frankly pretty misjudged.

The performances vary, by far the worst being Gary Oldman who whilst normally excellent simply feels like he's in another film altogether at times, he literally shouts his scenes of dialogue at times when it seems a quieter authority would have been better suited.

As for leading man Costner, he's playing a pretty unlikeable fella here, so you would expect the filmmakers to try and inject some charm for an audience to sympathize or grow some kind of emotional attachment, but no Costner simply grunts and swears through most scenes in a gruff lazy drool, he's watchable as always but doesn't have much to work with here, though they do try to have him form a Bond with mother and child later on its quite late in proceedings.

There's some good touches, Gal Gadot brings out a softer side of Costner's character, there's a decent mix of Electro music and the film score used is atmospheric, some of the visuals are decent, shots of London for example and the action scenes whilst only short bursts are clear to see and not confusing and finally there's the thriller plot aspect of the story that plays like a standard spy/action thriller as our (anti) hero must set out to stop the villains and save the girl.

In closing, mixed performances, misplaced serious tone with violent outbursts of humour, some decent action but a bit of misguided film, watchable, not terrible but quite frustrating given the fact there's a better movie in there that could of got out.

3 out of 5.

and, yet.

Author: cdcrb from United States
16 April 2016

everything is wrong with this movie. the plot makes no sense. with the exception of Costner, the acting is pretty bad. especially gary oldman. (sorry). snippets are borrowed from almost every movie ever made. including a scene where the hero sews himelf up surgically (see Harrison ford), which itself was stolen from a 40's noir. nothing makes any sense. no one acts in a logical way, although I don't know how one would act under these circumstances. they put ryan Reynold's brain in kevin Costner. ryan has a secret which a lot of folks want. something about blowing up the world, I think. and off we go from there. that's it. and yet, and yet I had a good time. maybe I wasn't on the edge of my seat, but I was having fun with all this. the whole thing moves right along at a fast pace and there is a totally illogical happy ending. it's a perfectly wonderful Saturday afternoon at the movies.

great surprise

Author: djtrb from São Paulo
23 July 2016

This movie really got my attention. I wasn't expecting much. Had saw the trailer and also saw the grades here and it all made me expect just a regular movie. The true is the movie story and actions worked pretty good and I just loved it. Was a pretty nice movie to watch and see time passing fast. I do recommend it. Kevin Costner did a great job on that movie, probably one of his best action movies from the last years. They did some aggressive scenes witch easily made my day. They did mixed all this free violence with a impressive love story and it actually worked nice. The main character and his craziness made me get different ideas from the begin until the end. It's funny how you just hate this guy and then how you became to change your mind during the movie.

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]