IMDb > "Alpha House" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Alpha House" More at IMDbPro »

Consider me addicted.

Author: kcasey033 from Texas
3 December 2013

What a great show. I stumbled across this by chance. I think Amazon should do a better job promoting the show to give others a chance to enjoy. Alpha House is a witty, fresh and addicting. Better writing than anything on network television. It's my escape from network reality shows. This is John Goodman's best work since the classic King Ralph. His character is believable. Such a great job. The entire cast does a great job. Hope to see the return of Bill Murray soon. There is greatness in the making with Goodman and Murray. Wanda Sykes shines. She brings her classic sarcasm and it just works. Andy Guzman couldn't be better. He must have researched that role very well. Matt Malloy's character is confused about his own place in the world and it's hilarious. Would be nice to see this show on a premium cable network.

Funny D.C. Comedy Drama -- A Great Start for Amazon Studios

Author: SaxAndViolins from United States
28 September 2013

With Netflix and Hulu quickly becoming production powerhouses, it would only make sense that Amazon would join in. Their first attempt is "Alpha House", created by Garry Trudeau, the man behind the Doonesbury comic strip. I haven't heard a lot about this series so far. At the time of me writing this, it doesn't even have a Wikipedia page. Nevertheless, the show is off to a good start.

"Alpha House" follows four United States Senators who live together in the same house. With rent so high in Washington DC, this is actually something that real life congressman end up doing. We see them go about their days with fund-raisers, committee meetings, lunches, and more. It appears a majority of this season will deal with re-election strategy as they try to hold onto their seats in Congress.

One of the most refreshing things about the show is that even though the four Senators are Republicans, the writers don't have people constantly belittle them and put them down in exceptionally well-written monologues. They instead parody the culture of the right-wing by cartooning the facades of it. I personally find the humor funny, but I hope the writers will do it to Democrats as well. Goodness knows liberals can have a sense of humor about their party too.

A lot of people have called this unoriginal and compared to "House of Cards". This isn't HOC, but it's not trying to be. It's a satirical comedy about the inner workings of the beltway. People crying 'Ripoff' seem to forget that HOC was a remake itself. I have a feeling once the show picks up, people will learn to like it. In the meantime, Amazon hasn't given a timetable saying when the next episodes will be released, but I can't wait to see them!

Entertaining and Insightful

Author: fung0 from Canada
9 February 2014

It's not easy to hear the voice of 'Doonesbury' cartoonist Garry Trudeau in the mouths of John Goodman and the other solid actors of Alpha House. The satire here is more subtle, and surprisingly affectionate. We tend to like these characters, even though they're ambitious, incompetent, self-serving and immoral. The show rarely goes for obvious one-liners. Instead, it gives Washington culture more of a slow-roasting.

Alpha House may be a deliberate attempt to create a US counterpart to such behind-the-scenes British political satires as Yes Minister and The Thick of It. Like those classics, Alpha House depicts politicians not as evil, or Machiavellian, but rather as very human products of a certain unique culture. These are people who wield great power, yet they're just as slow-witted as the rest of us, and just as unaware of their own blinkered viewpoint. Their priorities are shaped by the relentless pursuit of re-election; the needs of the populace hardly enter into it.

By letting us get to know these characters, and even to like them, Alpha House gives us a very different understanding of their world than we'd get from serious political commentary. It's a show you can't help thinking politicians themselves would enjoy, just as Maggie Thatcher was reputed to enjoy Yes Minister.

I hope the Daily Show/Colbert/Realtime audience discovers Alpha House, and gives its approach a chance. This is political humor that's a bit more subtle, but just as worthwhile.

Fantastic writing and characters!

Author: angelawriter from Ohio, USA
18 January 2014

I love this show. I happened upon it accidentally. Amazon--what is up with that? You really need to promote this. The writing is fresh and witty and the characters are complicated, flawed, funny and oh so human. Actually, I am a partisan liberal and can actually smile sometimes now at the ugliness in DC See what a work of humorous fiction can do to make the world a better place?

I have to say that I have always loved John Goodman and I find he is a wonderful character to humanize his house-mates. More than any of his fellow senators he seems accidental in his service--and probably the most honest.

The production values are wonderful in Alpha House and the tone is sweet underneath. Everyone is just trying to get through the day with their own craziness. Wives, lovers, dogs,subcommittees, social media, sex, power and meme are hysterically dealt with. Bravo, Amazon.

Really funny

Author: Samaila Adelaiye from Buffalo, New York
31 May 2015

The comedy was a bit broad for me at the beginning but as far as political comedy goes this is really funny. And it's one of those shows that builds as it goes, it gets more funny with each episode. While the political angle doesn't favor republicans, the characters are actually very likable and the timing is always on point. It's a very different sort of comedy with no dull moment. John Goodman does a good job as the old school politician with major issues, Clark Johnson also pulls some amazing comic chops really effortlessly, Mark Consuelos is also really good but I think next to john Goodman, Matt Malloy has to be the other star here. His character is really complex ranging from outright craziness and socially ineptitude of his character to the Likability and empathy he brings to the characters personal struggles. If you are looking for a political statement this is not the show for that, it is just pure fun with an older age group in mind.

What an unexpected, happy surprise!

Author: kate-71308 from Rancho Mirage, CA
30 March 2015

We are testing out Amazon Prime and looking for shows that we can't get on Netflix (since we don't subscribe to cable). We love political satire (and any satire, actually). What a great storyline and cast! John Goodman is funny, cuddly and likable. Mark Consuelos -- know who he is but never saw him in anything. Wanda Sykes has an interesting character with an unexpected outcome. Honestly the entire cast and story is terrific. Not sure that there will be more seasons but we certainly had a nice little interlude during Seasons 1 and 2. Some viewers will find this show leaning a bit liberal, but it doesn't have the weight and punch of West Wing or the melodrama of Scandal. Just settle back and enjoy.

I wanted to like it

Author: danj127 from indianapolis
14 January 2015

I really wanted to love Alpha House. The 1st season was entertaining and an easy watch. The 2nd season turned hard left and preachy and the writing seemed high jacked with an agenda. The result was predictable...the funny suffered. Such a shame and big turn-off. Now it just feels like a left wing production designed to highlight liberal perceptions of Republicans thinly veiled as entertainment. Satire can be fun and entertaining but it is obvious when it goes over the line into digs to reinforce liberal perceptions. I am debating whether to give Alpha House another go. Like I said I want to like it. Why not lampoon with right as well as the left. There should be plenty of crazy on both sides of the aisle to find funny. The show would be so much better if it was the comical voice of the political class.

Trudeau does have an agenda

Author: Michael Mellgard from West Hollywood, California
24 October 2014

I'm now on the second season of "Alpha House" and it's as good if not better than the first. I noticed that some reviewers have said that the characters are Democrats playing Republicans but I don't think that is fair. I am old enough to remember when our political parties were not so beholding to outside money and that I had a sense that both parties were working in good faith. It's not that way now. Whatever, I enjoy this show because I see how it relates to how our politicians, GOP and Democrat, and the media work. But in a humorous vein. It's not overly cynical. I found myself admitting that I would vote for Biggs because he is reasonable. I believe that this is what Trudeau has in mind. The GOP has been taken over by right-wing extremist who answer only to big money, i.e. Koch Brothers. I hope it comes back for many seasons to come.

Hoping for season 3!!

Author: gina-reino
9 March 2016

I loved this show from episode one which is rare for me! I love the characters. Without spoilers, I cannot wait to see what happens with certain story lines! And the witty dialogue is fantastic.. John Goodman, Clark Johnson, Matt Malloy, & Mark Consuelo make a great ensemble! I also agree with other reviewers who make comparisons to VEEP, West Wing and Newsroom in the D.C./political arena but it is satire and everyone is fair game Democrats and Republicans.

If you are in anyway entertained by politics, DC, and cameos from IRL politicians and journalists, then give this show a try. C'mon, as Kevin Spacey, said, it's hard to make jokes about a town that Is one. This show does it well. Plus, it's an election year!

The West Wing and Veep's love child...

Author: HelenMary from London, UK
17 June 2014

This is a superb bit of television. Witty, funny, sharp, well acted (especially John Goodman), well produced and directed, everything. It is about four senators in their "house on the hill" away from their wives, for when they are in DC and their political and non-political shenanigans. It's an irreverent look at American politics but I would hazard a guess that it's not too far from the truth albeit with a smattering of hyperbole.

Laugh out loud funny, yet with plenty of truisms and real soul, the Alpha House walks the fine line between adult-style frat house/coming of age and political "walk and talk" fly on the wall and doesn't mince it's words addressing matters of drugs, sex, racism, bigotry, religious intolerance and also putting new social media front and centre; Twitter is HUGE in this show as is Skype-type face-time, showcasing new problems that politicians face and ways they can address their constituents. It intersperses fiction with clips of real clips of Obama and committees on the Hill, and it pokes a bit of fun at far-right Republicans.

Love this show, highly recommend it. Can't believe it's not had enough publicity!