IMDb > Mike Tyson: Undisputed Truth (2013) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mike Tyson: Undisputed Truth

Mike Tyson: Undisputed Truth (TV) More at IMDbPro »

A landmark point in Mike Tyson's career that should not go unseen

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
18 November 2013

The only way to review Mike Tyson: Undisputed Truth, a truly inspiring, gripping one man show, is to use many quotes Tyson himself uses during the show. The show itself is predicated off of the idea that Tyson is doing one of the things he love (talking about himself) and doing it in the way he wants, with no filter, no editing, and no boundaries. While I have no interest in watching any fights Tyson appeared in, or even any interest in boxing in the slightest, my love and hunger for a great life story will never cease. I make time for stories like Chris Herren's and Tyson's, athletes that had it all, had a real problem, sought help, and now are brave enough to speak in front of an untold amount of people and provide a packed house with their thoughts and feelings on specific issues in their life.

"Thank you for coming out tonight and welcome to my living room," says a seated Tyson when the spotlight first comes on him at the beginning of the special. "Many are probably wondering what the hell Mike Tyson is gonna do on stage tonight, right? Frankly, I'm wondering the same thing," he follows up humorously. At that moment, I assumed that Tyson had no real clear-cut idea what he was gonna do with Undisputed Truth and just come out guns-blazing with whatever he felt he needed to address in his life.

That assumption was destroyed on sight; Tyson knew what the hell he was going to talk about and did a damn fine job doing it. Performing on Broadway in New York, he discusses his life as a hopeless street thug ass a young kid, arrested thirty-eight times as a kid in the bleak area of Brownsville. Brownsville was a town that was littered with "perverts, drug addicts, pimps, prostitutes, etc" before white-folk came and planted trees in front of the buildings, Tyson adds. "Now this area is like DisneyWorld," he states, commenting on how colorful the New York area seems to the mainstream public. He follows by saying this is a story of, "my mistakes, my heartaches, my joy, my sorrow, my gift, my life, my undisputed truth. Let's get this popping'!" Tyson discusses it all, fighting sweat, his heavily-mocked lisp, and his age to tell his story through humorous voices, breathless physical acting, reminiscing, heavy emotions, and a deep-rooted, conscious honesty that shows in the way he talks about issues. He comments how he never knew his father and barely knew his mother. He states how his mother probably wouldn't think he'd get out of Brownsville unless it was in handcuffs or a wooden-box. It was a cold area where "dreams are broken and memories best forgotten." The motto of the land was "never run, never will," and whatever they could smoke or drink "the cheaper the better," the kids of the neighborhood had it.

Had it not been for an Italian man named Cus D'Amato, who saw Tyson's vicious fighting style on the streets of Brownsville as a young kid and thought he could have a career as a heavyweight fighter. Tyson shows us what a typical training exercise with D'Amato looked like, which involved several breakneck fighting moves done in less than thirty-seconds. After demonstrating, Tyson says with little breath, "f***, I'm glad I ain't gotta do this s*** for a livin' no more!" From there on out, he discusses his ups and downs during his heavyweight career, his marriages, and his post-fighting life which involved one move met with heavy controversy.

Believe it or not, that was his heavily-popularized facial tattoo that he said was a choice he made while he was on cocaine. Even when he's three years sober he tells people, "don't like it, don't f****** look!" which I commend rather than denounce. Furthermore, another controversy he describes for a brief time is the allegations of rape as proposed by Desiree Washington. He explores the case for just a brief time before concluding it by stating simply and humanly, "I did not rape Desiree Washington and that's all I have to say." Tyson could've easily come out on stage with venom, like he did when discussing the numerous brawls he engaged in with Mitch Green, but he discusses the subject with maturity.

On another note, Mike Tyson: Undisputed Truth was directed by Spike Lee, who is just coming off his masterpiece Red Hook Summer and just concluded filming on Da Blood of Jesus, his crowd-funded film. We can see why he chose Tyson as his intermediate film because of the way he films Tyson, often with birds-eye-view shots, shots that include two perspectives/views of him, and with a tremendously sleek editing style, capturing the energy and charisma of Tyson. Lee simply admires Tyson's complete confidence with speaking, his unapologetic vulgarity, and his willingness to tell the truth in the raw while performing. Undisputed Truth marks a landmark point in Tyson's life and should not go unseen.

I'll conclude the way Tyson concludes the eighty-three minute endeavor: "I hope you leave here with a better understanding of me, Michale Gerard Tyson and my undisputed truth. Thank you for allowing me to share this roller-coaster ride of emotions with you."

NOTE: Mike Tyson: Undisputed Truth will be airing on HBO for the remainder of November and should see a DVD release sometime in 2014.

Starring: Mike Tyson. Directed by: Spike Lee.

Excellent first-person biography

Author: ziploked from United States
23 November 2013

I'm not going to write a book about this movie--suffice it to say if you've ever heard of, or had an opinion of Mike Tyson, then you should see this. Mike tells his life story from his beginnings in Brooklyn up to the present day. Although laced with profanity, his story is at times funny, sad, happy, tragic, and yet in the end, hopeful. He's had his ups and many downs, but through it all he has come out of it a better person, father, and man.

I always thought Mike Tyson was the most awesome boxer I ever saw. I'm glad to see he's finally become an awesome man, too.

Definitely worth a watch.

Tyson is Awesome

Author: billcr12 from United States
26 November 2013

Mike Tyson takes the stage on Broadway and proves to be a great storyteller with the timing of a seasoned stand up comedian. He starts with a terrible childhood in Brooklyn, New York, with a drug addicted mother and maybe pimp father who was never a part of young Mike's life. Reform schools and jail were inevitable, and a chance meeting with boxing trainer Cus D'Amato changed the course of Tyson's future. Everything is fodder, including the very strange and interesting marriage to actress Robin Givens and rape case involving Desiree Washington. Mike does hilarious imitations of D'Amato and his former manager Don King. Throw away any preconceptions you may have and give Tyson a chance, and I promise that you will not be disappointed; a solid nine out of ten.

A one man show giving Mike Tyson the chance to speak plainly.

Author: Jesse Boland from Burnaby, BC Canada
22 November 2013

Love him, or hate him. (And I still love him) Tyson lays it all down in his version of the truth. Very funny stuff, Mike really opens up , and lets you in on some raw nerves, and is very honest in how he sees himself looking back. I will never forget that feeling of just knowing that he would win every fight he entered, that pure sense that he was a true machine. I will also never forget the decent into madness that we all watched him take. I miss that but I have no doubt after watching this show that he misses it more, and regrets so much of what led him to loose so much of what he had. Get deep in this, and Enjoy it. And if you don't like this particular Mike, then screw ya. :)

Jesse of www.jesse.ca

Mike Tyson's Life - The ups & downs and everything in between

Author: OneTrueBroad from United Kingdom
19 December 2013

I had the pleasure of witnessing Mike's 2nd quickest ever KO v Lou Savarese in Glasgow 2000. His first punch landed Savarese on the canvas and it was all over after 38 secs. His status as a legend in my mind was still intact and he's still the greatest, fiercest fighter of my lifetime.

I was a bit apprehensive before watching Mike Tyson: Undisputed Truth though. I didn't know this was gonna go down. I was worried he'd brag too much about his victories, come across too cocky or be the opposite and be nervous, get stage fright or gloss over some difficult events in his life that we wanted to hear his side of. I mean it's one difficult task punching the lights out of somebody in front of tens of thousands, it's a more daunting one to bare your soul alone on stage in front of a few hundred up close and personal. But he didn't just pull it off well, he totally killed it and delivered a roller-coaster ride of highs and lows and laughter and tears that like most of his fights felt over all too early but had you pondering about what just happened for days after.

Even if you never liked Mike as a fighter or the man you thought he was you should watch this and if you still dislike him after it then fine, at least you'll be disliking the real Tyson and not the one the media and a host of money-digging parasites have been spinning you for years...but I think you might just come away with a changed perception to the one you held before.

Great Story of Triumph!

Author: Lawi Sultan
28 November 2013

Mike Tyson charms and connects with the Audience in a way i never thought possible (without Gloves); Captivating story-telling which could be attributed to Spike Lee and Kiki Tyson; A combination of street-talk and interaction with family paints the picture of his pain and his attempts to overcome; It goes without saying as has been heard and said before that many people around him took advantage of his naivety and his attempts to fit in; Further gives you a glimpse into the world of professional boxing especially for young aspirants seeking to make a name and legacy in the game; When other Boxers write down their memoirs, i believe Mike Tyson's legacy will be better remembered through the laughs he generates in comedy "Mike Tyson: Undisputed Truth (2013)"

My Review on Undisputed truth (2013)

Author: Leola Moore (leola243@hotmail.com) from HIGHLAND PARK
25 November 2013

Great Job! Spike Lee & Mike Tyson. I enjoyed Mike's life story about the good, the bad and the ugly events that turned him into the Recovering Family Man that he is today. Tyson appeared real as he spoke. The film and music/sound effects worked very well together to present his story. The truth rang out as Tyson told the details. I even believed him when he talked about sex cut offs lol! but the relationships with his ex wife, trainers, and fighters was interesting. Speaking out about his rape charges and jail time, I'm sure was humbling but Tyson appeared modest throughout his show. I mostly commend Mike & Holyfield for being strong enough to make a healthy amends. Mike was very entertaining. Hat's off to HBO. On my last note I pray for Mike's daughter/sister my they RIP & You "Mike" Stay Clean No Matter What please!

Leola

Mike Tyson undisputed truth

Author: jack-856-87676 from Australia
28 November 2013

Awesome a lot of things he did in his life were done from his sense of reality which he perceived to be the worlds. We all experience life through our filters then judge other people based on what we think is right. What he does have going on now is the will to be something different to re shape his values and ethics and it may take until he dies but the process will be ongoing. For me the funniest part was brad Pitt coming home with his ex wife. I could picture brads reaction (without Mikes description). If I was Brad Pitt I would have tried to knock myself out before he go to me. Unfortunately we are a society that has become obsessed with reality shows and TV duly feed this hunger with cleverly edited pieces the goal of which is to create conflict. We like to love people and in order to do this they need a nemesis. We as a public fed off his misfortune because we felt we owned his success and by doing that it gave us the right to choose his downfall. The real insight to life is Evander Holyfield who is missing part of his anatomy but chose to forgive him. That is true understanding because Mike kept saying what a good man he was. That is the true state and the core of people one word forgiveness.

Mike Tyson 2.0

Author: ktyson9426 from United States
23 November 2013

This is a one man show about Mike Tyson's life and experiences and runs the gambit... It's open, honest, humorous, sad, touching and inspiring. If anyone ever held an opinion of him, good or bad, then they should see this.

Mike chronicles his life as a child living in poverty and not really knowing either of his parents, to adjusting to finding love and acceptance with the D'Amato family, gives the viewer a sense of what it's like to be a rising star and world famous by the time he was 20, what it was like for a young man with $50,000,000 and wolves constantly nipping at his financial heels, his drug abuse issues, prison, his spiritual and emotional implosion, the death of his daughter... and most importantly his subsequent rebirth.

Even as he poked fun at himself, I got the sense of struggle he went through with what seemed to be a constant change of his surroundings, and the anger and mistrust he experienced trying to adjust to them. He gives you an idea of how surrealistic life can be when you're as rich and famous as he was, and how difficult it must have been to make sense of it. I can't imagine anything crazier than to be sitting in prison and having a surprise visit by Florence Henderson of the Brady Bunch.

The thing I took away from this show though was that there was most definitely a human being behind all the hype, and the PR that people saw on TV through the 90's and 2000's. Mike showed an incredible sense of peace considering everything he's gone through in his life, and demonstrated he came through it with a warmth, humanity, and an incredible sense of humor.

He seems to be the first to be able to laugh at himself, and his own mistakes. At times when he could have taken cheap shots at people he restrains himself, and others he lets the people have it with both barrels. Mostly, he finds the humor in the situations he was in good or bad. He did take time to talk about the losses of family members he's experienced in his life, and how it affected him.

Few people can lay claim to having been in the positions he was in life. After watching "Undisputed Truth", William Blake's line "The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" certainly seems appropriate. Mike has a wisdom that is well earned and hard fought. I've been a fan of his from back when he first became champ, and after watching this I finally think I got a sense of who he really is. I certainly hope he has the best of luck with his career and life.

Surprisingly funny and personal

Author: Mr X from Canada
24 November 2013

The material is uneven, but you can sort of feel him in there, his spirit, where he came from, big moments, not all necessarily original but he can be surprisingly funny! I laughed quite a lot (that whole Mitch ongoing story was really a blast), and I'm no fan of the guy, not even as a boxer really. But he is M. Tyson, he's an icon. He's also a man who has to come to age and reflect on his life, as we all do, and personally I think Lee was able to bring some order to this chaotic man on stage, and make it interesting for the viewer. You have to give the man a break really. He was, and in many ways still is, somewhat a brute, struggling with his past, trying to make sense out of it. But it takes guts to do this and come out. It's really not a fact finding mission as in a documentary piece, despite the title - you get themes with some media support and varying levels of engagement from Tyson, from the very personal to the somewhat detached. On the whole I found it was pretty successful. Who would have thought?