IMDb > "Outlander" (2014) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Outlander"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Outlander" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

At last...

Author: cherokee1020 from United States
18 August 2014

For the past 23 years, Outlander has been a presence in my life. Have read it countless times, in fact started it again just yesterday. I am proud and humbled to be One of the Original Seven Ladies of Lallybroch, associated with one of the very first global groups devoted to Diana Gabaldon and The Books. For decades, the idea of a cinematic version of The Books has teased and taunted us, flirting with our imaginations and hopes. Now, it is here. And here it is. Every detail is brilliant - script, costumes, sets, and yes, the actors. The Series is a visual companion to The Books, and a boon companion it is. It is also an adaptation, not a verbatim recitation. Fidelity to our beloved characters and story is assured by the continuing involvement of Diana in the creative process. She fiercely protects her story and, in the process, her fans - which are both legion and legend. Caitriona Balfe truly IS Claire, as Sam Heughan IS Jamie. A cup up to Ron Moore, Maril Davis, and the entire crew (Terry for the amazing costumes)for giving us Our Outlander...

Jesus H. Roosevelt Christ

Author: dariana-ro
11 August 2014

I never read the books and never heard anything about this story before I saw the show. I don't know how close it comes to the books but as a show is absolutely fantastic.

Everything was done right , actors , costumes, music and the scotsmen in kilts are so sexy . I am in love.

We have beautiful landscapes , music to match , time travel , an intelligent mature woman as a lead character and two attractive men that love her . I like the romance part and the history part. I like everything about this show.

I wish they add some subtitles . I don't know how well native English speakers understand the Gaelic but English is not my native language and I could not understand a word in Gaelic.

An excellent adaptation of the books for all us Outlander fans!

Author: M Campbell from United States
11 August 2014

I've recently been reading (actually listening to the audio-books) the Outlander series of books having completed 5 so far so when I saw the Starz TV series was coming out I just had to watch it. I must say I loved the Outlander books, but I'm not a fanatic when it comes to translating books to the screen they are very different mediums and thus can take on a different look and feel and that's OK with me. In this case, I don't think people who are would be disappointed anyway as the screen writers did an excellent job of translating the 1st part of the book to the screen (I've only seen the 1st episode but I'm already hooked so I'm sure I'll enjoy the rest).

I loved their choice of actors to take on the roles of Jamie, Claire, Frank and Dugan. Sam Heughan is perfect as Jamie Fraser (just the right bit of good looks and ruggedness one might expect in Jamie). Caitriona Balfe also seemed like a good choice for Claire (beautiful yet strong enough to carry the role). I think Frank/Jack Randall's portrayal by Tobias Menzies will also fit my vision of Frank/Jack and I think he can carry off both roles one as the wicked Jack and the other as the loving yet dull Frank (when compared to Jamie). And the Scottish actors like Graham McTavish (Dougal) will bring old Scotland to life on the screen for me.

From the 1st episode I think they producers will not be shy to include the more sexual aspects of the Outlander books, as they do have this erotic element that actually makes the love between Claire and Jamie the driving force of their relationship which allows it to span centuries, even when they are no longer together. It's that love/passion for each other that keeps them alive in each other's heart and so far to the directors credit, they have not been shy about adding it. I'm looking forward to the Claire Jamie love scenes hopefully to come... I'm also going to enjoy the Scottish history and scenery, and loved the way they so far have included it in the TV series. It's going to be very interesting to me especially as my ancestors are Scottish.

I know Starz will be increasing its revenues with this series' fans all signing up just to see it. There must be millions of us around the world that love these books and I'm sure like me many of them will order the cable channel just to watch this. I'm very happy to see Starz did such a good job in bringing this to life on the screen. So rarely do we get a good adult drama on TV these days, and this will surely be that. I'm liking many of the original show Starz is offering this season like this and Black Sails, Strikback. Who ever is heading their creative development deserves a lot of credit for their selection of shows to produce. I think Starz is catching up to HBO and Showtime in it's original shows and might even surpass them if it keeps producing shows of this quality plus they have a much better selection of movies that the other channels. As a new Starz member, I'd recommend it to others.

Outlander TV Series Spectacular!

Author: lksmith111 from Maryland, USA
25 August 2014

I have been a fan, make that obsessed fan, from the first book. There are now eight BIG books in the series along with The Lord John series and a few novellas. I've read them all numerous times. I was hesitant about TV show ruining the books but Starz and Ron D. Moore have shown that you can use a book's dialog and make the actors fit into the characters and make a marvelous show.

Outlander so far has been a perfect representation of the book. Sam Heughan as Jamie is sublime.....as is Caitrona Balfe as Claire. Even though Claire is telling the story, it's Jamie we all want.

I am thrilled with the camera work, the costumes, and the writing. I'm thinking subtitles for the Gaelic Language would have been a good decision but I understand why there is none. After all Claire doesn't understand it either and it is her story.

Kudos to Diana Gsbaldon for writing the stories and for trusting Ron D. Moore with it. Watch!,

Perfect Adaptation of book to TV

Author: marian-knowles from United States
10 August 2014

Everything about EP1 is wonderful. I'm a fan of the book series and I'm happy that Ron D. Moore is at the helm of this project. I think the casting of the lead roles is perfect. The locations and sets evoke each of the time periods portrayed. The music is amazing; it adds character to the events as they unfold and I'm looking forward to hearing more in later episodes. There is some criticism about the pace of EP1, I agree that it felt a bit slow. Viewers who feel it's too slow, please note that the book is about 800 pages long! Additionally, Starz bought 16 EPs rather than the usual 10, so that RDM has time to develop the story line and the many characters that appear in the book. The voice over takes some getting used to, since it's not a common practice today. So I refer back to the book again, because the reader is let into the lead character's thoughts most of the time - it's not all dialogue. You don't have to read the book to enjoy the show and I believe new viewers who give it a chance over the next several EPs as the action in the story picks up won't be disappointed and will appreciate what all the fan fuss is about.

Well crafted and riveting

Author: chippewa7377 from Nebraska, U.S.
11 August 2014

Having discovered Gabalton's novels only recently (generally reserving my limited reading time to the likes of Bernard Cornwell and Patrick O'Brien, more swords;less romance),I was pleased with the quality of the production, casting, pace and overall presentation of this complex story. Romantic? Yes. However, if the mini-series story line continues in keeping with the books (as seems likely)it will likely unfold into dovetailing themes of sacrifice,duty,honor,jealousies and complex loyalties that even many of the male viewers will relate wholeheartedly to. Not since PeterJackson's close to the novel(s) rendition of the Lord of the Rings saga have I been as pleased (at least with the initial installment) with a book-to-screen version of a great story. Thanks STARZ!

from paper to reality

Author: flikflak83 from Italy
19 August 2014

I'm a fan of the saga literature and from 2 weeks super fan of the TV series.

I didn't think it possible that the transposition on TV was so faithful to the book.

The main character is the landscape. The forests, mountains, castles, give a unique impression to this wonderful series.

The characters come to life on paper in talented actors and perfect for the roles. Claire exceeds expectations, Jamie confirmation too.

Wonderful costumes that launch you into a magical time and sometimes ruthless. The photograph confirms the minuteness with which it was designed this series. Few special effects but still great visual impact.

Ron D. Moore confirms his talent already seen in Battlestar Galactica.

An unprecedented success driven by a twenty-year literary success that leaves unsatisfied.

10 stars

Book to screen....an awesome adaptation

Author: Figgy66-915-598470 from United Kingdom
11 August 2014

Based on viewing only the first episode I think this is a wonderful adaptation of a much loved series of books. Starz have brought the words of Diana Gabaldon to life in a remarkable feast of Scottishness which will satisfy the legions of fans all round the world. A much anticipated series, the first episode, which was made available free by Starz on You Tube, sees Claire, a world war 2 nurse being transported back through time to Scotland prior to the a battle of Culloden where she meets Jamie and Captain Randall, two very different men who will come to play a large part in her life. Much lament in some countries however who do not receive the Starz cable channel, as to when we may see the rest of the series. A story which must not be missed.

Very Enjoyable

Author: Lynette Creswell from UK
9 August 2014

Although I have only seen the first episode so far, I have to say I really enjoyed it. Having read the book many, many years ago I was curious to see how the characters would be portrayed. I wasn't disappointed as the cast have been well chosen and I can't wait to watch the rest of the series. Set in WWII I was impressed with the attention to detail and I thought the whole thing was well made and I am certainly impressed. I thought Jamie was perfect for the part and Claire too, they both looked just as I imagined inside my head. Well done to everyone who has been involved in the making of this series. I can't wait for more!

A romantic journey into a Celtic past

Author: t hamilton from Australia
8 August 2014

Something about Celtic landscapes and music resonates in me, I'm not sure if its because I'm vaguely a descendant, but to this day the soundtrack to Braveheart sends shivers down my spine.

This is essentially the story of a post WW2 nurse who somehow gets sent back approximately 200 years to the tumultuous violent Scottish past.

The pilot shows a great deal of promise, the casting is great, score and cinematography all superb.

Unfortunately for me all of the promise came in the last 20 minutes of the episode, for the first 40 or so ponderous minutes we see nothing but back story, her time in the war, her somewhat fragile bond with her husband and their "honeymoon" to Scotland. Some of this information is pertinent, and certainly some introduction into the character's life BEFORE being thrown back in time is necessary to really grasp how unsettling and inexplicable what she sees is, but unfortunately 40 minutes was just too long.

After that somewhat arduous 40 minutes, when the protagonist Claire does wind up in the middle of the Plaid wearing sword brandishing Scottish highlands, the episode was phenomenal. We are introduced to the villain, we meet the rather dashing love interest, and we get a glimpse into the interesting topic of being someone with contemporary knowledge (primarily in her case of medicine, as a nurse) in a Feudal time, and we finally get some Bagpipes.

Even with the pilot's time allocation not being to my personal tastes, I'm very excited about this show. I think now they have fully introduced the back story future episodes will have more freedom to focus on the heart of this time travel tale. I have a feeling along side Vikings this will be one of the best period shows of the decade.

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]