IMDb > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 1 of 320:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Not BvS, just BS

Author: jnaps098
25 March 2016

The clue was in the title all along and I just failed to see it.

It's like the studio and creative minds behind this disaster were so stoked with the idea of having Superman and Batman fight each other, they couldn't have a coherent thought after to come up with any form of a story. So they let Zack Snyder make a movie to satisfy the 10 year old in him.

Major spoilers ahead!

I thought there were 3 very strong, compelling ideas from the trailers, but the movie failed to delivery on them

1. Batman's aggression towards Superman. 3/4th of this movie is dedicated to this. In fact Batman wants to KILL Superman. And finally, when the moment arrives, Batman stops because his mother's first name is the same as Superman's mother's. And so they become the best of friends. Just like that.

2. People of earth's distrust of Superman, due to the events from the first movie. This too runs through most of the movie, with Superman trying to earn some brownie points by saving a few people. The fact that there is a public hearing against him, indicates that people are not buying it. But in the end, after his supposed death, why does he a get a military/hero style funeral? Why is the country mourning? Did I miss something? Especially since there is confusion on what happened during the hearing.

3. The public hearing: This should have been a really powerful scene. If Superman were to concede, then he'd be answerable to the people and he would not get to be the hero we know he is. The same, if he did not concede. I was giddy with anticipation when this scene started and was immensely disappointed when the Senator starts mumbling. Zack Snyder took the path of least resistance.

- - - - - -

I guess after the writer's gave up on the main ideas, they didn't care about smaller plot points

- Superman has no remorse for the destruction he caused in the first movie. In the big fight he smashes Batman through a building causing the building to collapse. Ditto for Doomsday, smashes him in to a power plant of some sort. He is not even thinking about anyone's safety.

- Just like in the first movie, there is an apocalypse level destruction. Superman himself contributes to some of it. Thousands are probably killed, but superman only saves Lois Lane

- Superman threatens Batman that he can easily kill Batman, twice. Sounds like a bully to me

- Batman STEALING from Lex Luthor so HE gets to exact revenge on Superman

- Batman uses guns, not to intimidate, but actually kill. He even dreams of gun battles.

- The govt. has Zod's body and the ship for 2 years. Luthor comes up with the idea that since the ship has a bio-metric security, he can use Zod's body to gain access. It did not cross anyone else's mind

- One alien craft/tech is lying in the Indian Ocean for 2 years. No nation/military has claimed it. Local fishermen are freely swimming to it and breaking away pieces

- The all powerful Kryptonian key has no security what so ever. Anyone can use it. Even Lex Luthor. It only unlocks EVERYTHING, why should it be secure?

- Kryptonians have banned the technology to create Doomsday. It's so dangerous, they decide not to remove it from the system but keep it, with so minimum security that it can be enabled with a simple voice command by a non-Kryptonian.

- There is no compelling reason behind Lex Luthor's hatred towards Superman. How does he stand to gain or lose?

- There is no villain, purpose, motive or problem to solve in the story. Doomsday appears so that Zack Snyder can once again have a city-leveling battle.

- Why is Doomsday angry with Superman? Since he is made from Zod & Luthor's genes, does anger/hatred towards someone pass through genes?

- When Batman steals the Kryptonite, it would have spoiled whatever Luthor had planned, but Luthor just eggs Superman to fight Batman like they were in cahoots. How does Luthor know what Batman has planned? How does he know about the battle royale. Has he read the comic?

- Why is Batman not suspicious of the other meta beings? Why does he think they are friendly and will help? And against what? Why does he think he will need their help? How come Luthor is in on this?

- Why does Luthor have well designed logos for each meta human?

- Why was wonder woman so concerned with being exposed? According to the photo, she had already revealed herself, in FULL COSTUME. So why the secrecy? And why come out of hiding when she sees lightening coming from the dome? She did not feel the need when world was practically getting destroyed in the first movie.

- Why does Luthor introduce Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent to each other? BW is a billionaire, but CK? Why would anyone care about him?

- Superman stops the car chase. Literally allowing the bad guys to escape. He may not like Batman's methods, but he couldn't figure out if Batman's giving a chase, he's after bad guys?!

- In the midst of deafening destruction Superman can hear Lois Lane. But his mother...his hearing, speed, x-ray vision...he doesn't even give it a shot. And of course Batman finds her in a jiffy because he is...

... the list goes on...but IMDb has a word limit...

I can't believe such a high profile movie had no thought put behind it. Amateur hour. A total disservice to a 75 year legacy and to the fans. I hope the remaining DC movies are scrapped or they finally pulls their socks up.

1142 out of 1917 people found the following review useful:

It's an OK movie; don't go to the cinema with high expectations

Author: Areeb Khan
19 March 2016

Sadly, a step down from Man of Steel. First of all, I was a bit skeptical about this movie, and thought the runtime (about 2 and a half hours) was way too long (and I wasn't completely wrong though). The action scenes were better than what we saw in the trailer. Although the doomsday scenes had terrible CGI (you'll know it when you'll see it), but overall I was happy. The movie had a lot crazy-packed action (it was directed by Zack Snyder, what do ya expect?) but the plot didn't know where it was going. A lot of scenes were a treat for me to see and I got goosebumps watching them. There was more to Jesse Eisenberg than what I saw (and hated, like most people) in the trailer. I made a bet to my friend that he'll suck in the movie, guess I'll have to pay up. He really WAS good. But just like any other movie, it's not perfect and has flaws. You can see that Zack tried hard very hard to fit everything nicely into the movie, but over stuffing was bound to happen. Other than that, I think there are some fan-boys who'll be satisfied no matter how bad the movie is. Hope my review didn't give away any spoilers in any way whatsoever, and that you end up enjoying the movie as much as (or more than) I did.

Sloppy, Misleading, And Disappointing, With Some Incredible Moments Mixed In

Author: Thomas Drufke
25 March 2016

Well, the wait is finally over. Batman and Superman are in a big screen film together for the first time in history. The result? A sloppy attempt at setting up the DC Universe. Batman v Superman has its moments though with great performances from almost every one and action that could rival Man of Steel, but it was difficult to not walk out of this film and feel overwhelmingly disappointed. For a film that finished filming over a year ago, you would think Zack Snyder and Warner Bros would make all the effort in the world to edit in and out the stuff that's important and tighten the movie, but that isn't the case.

It's directed by the aforementioned Snyder and stars almost the entire Man of Steel cast along with Ben Affleck and Jeremy Irons as Batman and Alfred respectively. The performances are mostly great all around, including Amy Adams, who unfortunately felt out of place for most of the film. I have no problem with Adams' portrayal or the character of Lois Lane being in the film, but she was misused and overused here. She and General Swanwick from the first film have several small scenes that are used for us to find out more about Lex Luthor. But the problem is, it's a good 15 minutes of the film that could have shaved down to 3 or 4 minutes worth of scenes.

Speaking of Lex Luthor, the casting of Jesse Eisenberg caused a big stew of controversy when it was first announced, and I think it was warranted. I've seen the film twice now and had different opinions both times. The first time I was entertained by Lex but also confused as to why they went the route they did with the character. The second time, I was annoyed by the performance and the over the top portrayal of what should be a menacing villain. A few scenes here and there had those classic Luthor aspects that I've loved from the animated series and films, but the tone they went with for Eisenberg's performance just doesn't work. There's little humor in an incredibly dark film, and Lex seems like he's from a completely different film.

The other big problem the film unfortunately has is its title and marketing. Most of the marketing material was well done and proposed "the greatest gladiator match in the history of man", but the reality is that it's merely 10 minutes of a 2 and a half hour film. The fight itself is phenomenal. It doesn't hold a candle to the fight in the comic book/film "The Dark Knight Returns", but it's probably the best part of Batman v Superman. The focus was all over the place though. Everything from the fight onto the ending is good cinema, but man does it take a long time to get there. I actually sat in the theater saying to myself "I'm kind of bored right now". How in the world does that happen in a superhero film, let alone a Batman film?

There are still plenty of great aspects to this film, however. Diane Lane has a few heart-warming and gut-wrenching scenes. Laurence Fishburne provides some good comic relief as the head of the Daily Planet, Perry White. Jeremy Irons gives us our most involved and bada** Alfred to date. Even Gal Gadot, another questionable casting choice, showed acting chops that I didn't think she had here and got me excited for the Wonder Woman film next year. Which brings me to the weirdest part about my feelings about this film. As many problems as there are, it didn't get me any less enthused for the future of the DCEU. Some few surprises in the film, tease Justice League which was neat. And I'm incredibly stoked for Ben Affleck's solo Batman film. With that said, I don't think I can get that excited for Justice League if Snyder still directs. I have to believe many of the directing and editing mistakes came from him. But perhaps even Warner Bros themselves needs to take some of the fault for giving Snyder too much reign? Another positive though was Hans Zimmer's score, unsurprisingly. I loved the way him and Junkie XL managed to weave in Superman's theme with the new haunting Batman theme.

Ben Affleck may very well be the definitive Batman. Everyone knew his Bruce Wayne would be great but his Batman does not disappoint. There are scenes which rival the action in the Arkham video games in terms of style, creativity, and fluidity. I couldn't be more excited for Affleck to write, direct, and star in the solo film whenever it may come out.

I honestly can't believe I'm sitting here typing an average review for a film that's one of my most anticipated of all time, but I am. There are plenty moments of pure greatness here, but for every incredible scene, there's an unnecessary or strange scene out of place. Sure, I enjoyed the film more the second time I saw it, but I just can't believe how sloppy of a filmmaking job this was. A missed opportunity for Warner Bros for sure.

+Affleck

+Action

+Last 40 minutes are awesome

+Zimmer's score

+Performances

-Except for the tonally off performance by Eisenberg

-Sloppy editing

-Slow and almost boring first half

7.2/10

1071 out of 1958 people found the following review useful:

A much greater improvement on MOS 5X better.

Author: corde1 from Washington State, USA
19 March 2016

I am drawn back to when this movie was first announced and how I despised the notion of a Batman V Superman film a la Freddy vs Jason, Alien vs Predator and so on. It all seemed like a huge gimmick to me and I expected the worst for this movie. Fast forward a couple years, I am sitting down at a private screening, the lights go down and the movies opens up. The opening sequence was not what I expected but shows Snyder's visual creativity in a similar manner as he did with the opening sequence of Watchmen.

We are hearkened to the Black Zero Event, only we see it from Bruce Wayne's perspective as shown in some of the trailers. I love that Snyder uses Bruce's as the eyes of the audience to get an outside perspective of the surrounding madness and destruction, and he does it very effectively. You are mad at these beings, you feel the terror, the confusion the anger for them bringing there war here, it plays out with spectacle and sadness.

I had reported a rumor about Scoot Macnairy's characters months back and was called out by Ocelot and others several times on things I reported, well turns out it was true. Something tragic happens at the hearing and it is our insight of how cunning and vicious this Lex Luthor is.

The overall story is well woven and much better than MOS, you can definitely breathe a sigh of relief in that Terrio does a great job of crafting this all together. The movie is a visual tour de force as we have come to expect with Snyder but let me just say that his directing has also improved. For those who moaned about the shaky cam and muted colors, they will be pleased. Performance wise. EVERYONE does an outstanding job, the standouts to me were Affleck, Eissenberg and Gadot. I was not on the Ben, Gal, Jesse hate wagon, though I found Eissenberg's casting questionable but I felt he had shown that he has some capable range of pulling it off. Affleck is Bruce Wayne, Affleck is Batman, talk about casting redemption. Similar to Reynolds, GL>Deadpool. Affleck should no longer be bogged with complaints about Daredevil.

For those that hated on Gadot, suck it, she owns the role in every way possible, she really has stepped up her acting game as well. The woman has presence as Diana, grace and beauty and as Wonder Woman, she is truly a Goddess. People were moaning about Gail's size, forget that nonsense, she proves she does not need bulking muscles to be a warrior and her fight scenes are exceptional, makes Faora look like she was waltzing. Eissenberg, well well well. Let me first say I thought the best versions of Luthor were from the Lois and Clark and Smalville TV shows but Jesse brings something totally new to the game.

Jesse plays his Luthor like a true devil. He is deceiving, manipulative, conniving, that line the Devil will do it, he is referring to himself to me. I could not help but see him like a Lucifer in his role and wondered if Jesse kind of based playing his character that way. Everyone else support wise was absolutely great. I do not want to write a long report of praises so let me see if I can cap off before getting on my flight. The fight set up was a little weak but boy the pay off was spectacular. Cavill I feel needs to step up a little more, granted he was wonderful but he was out shined. He needs to get beyond that distraught expression that he likes to use because he does it to death in this and I found that annoying.

The other member intro's were great and will have you all pumped for the JLA, the Knightmare scene was horrific and impactful and made me smile like a little geek. The final fight was amazing. Never in a CBM have we seen anything like it, yes I said it NEVER and lastly, I will say the movie does end on a heart wrenching note but a wink in the end. I loved it gave it a 9 and looking forward to seeing it again next week. If you guys have any questions ask I am going to be on a plane for the next 6-7 hours so will try to respond. I may have exaggerated about it being 10X better than MOS but I will say 5X better.

OK is a two-letter word that describes the most anticipated movie of 2016!

Author: Vinay Sital
27 March 2016

Let's be honest! We were all, even marvel fan boys, waiting for this movie. The two most well known superheroes fighting... what could go wrong!? A lot.

The positives:

1. Batman & Alfred; Batfleck was amazing! Ben Affleck represented a batman that is damaged, changed his moral code(which if they play their cards right could be a center piece of solo batman films) and made him more bad-ass because of it.

2. The action: Amazing Action! It's thrilling, exciting and beautifully shot. That is what Zack does though and I expected nothing less.

3. Wonder woman: Supringsly well done. Her as Diana prince was maybe a bit stiff sometimes but she can make the character her own along the way. I trust her that much. Her as wonder woman was amazing!! I got chills when she joined the fight!

4. Cinematography is general. It is a beautiful film to look at. Nicely shot and as I said the action is amazing. The CGI in certain places are a bit "meh" and one shot did take me out of the movie, but that's it.

Now the bad stuff why this movie went downhill:

1. the editing/pacing: Guys, this movie was a mess. The movie begins great with an introduction of batman and some stuff you saw in the trailer. Then we go to a scene... which tells us a story then it goes to another scene. You're invested in that particular and then it jump cuts to another scene. You are seeing 4 different story lines play out in 5 minute scenes after each other. As a general movie goer-ER you will lose track. As a DC-fan, as myself, I could understand everything but i needed to bring all my previous knowledge to actually understand. Really bad pacing

2. Superman: Not everyone will agree on this, but I think they handled superman horribly. He needs to be symbol of hope and yet he is never exactly that. There was certain montage, where it should shown that he was, but i never felt that he was. This representation was too dark. This was also more of a batman movie with superman playing a small part in that, yet batman's world is too dark for superman. If you want to combine their worlds, let Batman play a role in superman's world.

3. Lex Luther. I hated his representation of the power hungry and menacing villain. He played mark suckable and was a complete miscast. I don't care if he was the son of the "real" lex Luther. It didn't fit.

4. Doomsday: A complete waste of a great story arc. Why did they bring him in while there was so much going on..

5. The justice league set up: It felt rushed. The way they shoehorned all the other characters in was lazy writing.

6. the whole motivation of superman fighting batman. batman's motivation was clear and great. Superman's was horrible. They were one conversation away from understanding each other, but they had to fight of course.

7. Many many plot holes, but i cant go into those because i don't wanna spoil the whole movie.

verdict: If you love flashy action.. go watch it in Max. If you like great story.. wait till it releases on blue-ray.

6 out of 10 for a mediocre movie that should been an epic man. I was so disappointed. I see so many DC fans raging this movie was epic, but we're dealing with the phantom menace effect.

I am a fan and wanted to love it, but cannot.

Author: Jason P Barter from Wisconsin
24 March 2016

This movie tries so hard... and falls flat on almost every level. It is further proof that DC may be a master of the animated movie and they may be brilliant in the way they approach many of the TV properties but when it comes to movies they still can't pull it together. This is a long movie that feels even longer. Ben Affleck does a GREAT job as Batman, that doesn't mean I LOVED this Batman (I did not) but he does a great job and any problems there are with the character fall on the writer, producers and director. The problem with this Batman is no that he is brutish and violent and angry.. it's that he's not smart. He's not strategic and intellectual , brilliant and a world class detective. He is consumed by anger, hatred, vengeance and brutality (and not in a good way). He is blind in his rage and directs it towards Superman.

The ending, which should be amazing and outstanding fell flat in both viewings I went to. One a sneak peek and one to which I had purchased tickets on opening night and went to see with friends. The ending should be exciting and fun and amazing.. and it just... wasn't. It completely fails on every single level.

You should leave the theater with your mouth wide open from awe unable to withstand the anticipation of the next chapter... most people who were leaving the theater were tired, worn down and felt like they had gone a few rounds with Superman. The movie is tedious and boring with characters that I just did not care about at all. Oh no Louis is in trouble... oh look Batman is Angry, oh look Superman is Angry, oh my Martha is Angry. The problem with a bunch of characters who are essentially the same in attitude is that you just don't care.

The preview of the justice league, which people know is coming was forced as is but would have made a magnificent after credit sequence. It would have at least of given people something to talk about on the way out rather then just shaking their heads in disappointment or yawning.

I liked Man of Steel, I didn't love it but I liked it. This was no where near as good. While I have been a long , long time DC fan and unlike many fan boys have little problem with taking some creative liberties with characters (there are things that work well in years of comics that don't translate on screen), there are things that should evolve but not completely change. Doomsday was sadly, a disaster. In the comic he is a Goliath , matching Superman's physical might and that's pretty much it. His punches are so powerful they shatter buildings (which Snyder seems to really, really, really like to do).. there was no need to alter him to the point they did.

This movie would have been better served had Lex made a clone from Zod's body of Bizarro (makes more sense) and had it been only Batman and Superman, getting to know one another, learning about each other, discovering their differences and ultimately their similarities as they came together in the end to defeat a Superman level menace. After the credits , an email to Wonder Woman with Batman letting her know that he has discovered who she is.

You could even have had wonder woman in it, she was a delightful character (in this film) and I enjoyed her scenes (she gets little screen time but I felt was one of the best characters). As it is it just falls flat.

I enjoyed one of the sequences with who I believe was the Flash (doesn't say) but I do wish it was Grant (CW) as he is the true flash. This movies wrongs can still be righted in the next one and I will likely see it when it arrives but I am not looking forward to it and have no real anticipation of it's arrival. If I got word it was canceled I would shrug my shoulders and hope they got it right next time around.

Ben Affleck!!!

Author: fero_king-65322 from United States
19 March 2016

Affleck as Bruce Wayne/Batman was pure awesome and dark. You can see he's traumatized by the events in the past, and he has some fantastic lines in general (Yes we see the whole parents thing again). Nobody should really be surprised that he was good with the role considering he's a solid actor, but I thought he was great. Versus Bale? That's a interesting question, because Affleck definitely regards Batman as a permanent part of his persona, while in Nolan series he eventually doesn't want Batman. In combat he's pretty much everything everyone would hope for from a film with Batman. One comment on the latest BvS trailer said he fought like the Arkham video games from a scene they showed. That's a good comparison. He's incredible in fights. Also the way Snyder records him in action, you can actually see him fighting unlike the Nolan films, which I'd imagine would make many people happy. He also gets a chance to use his detective skills, do not worry. Also his relationship with Irons, who plays Alfred, is just wonderful in general. Irons was exceptional in the role (Its Jeremy Irons for Christ's sake, of course he nailed the role) gets some witty lines and also gets pretty emotional later on. He didn't get a lot of screen time, just enough to be effective. Always passing advice to Batman.

Argh.

Author: Tyypo from United States
16 April 2016

This was a very frustrating movie. I had been looking forward to it, although was initially skeptical after hearing of Ben Affleck as Batman. Seeing the critics views at RottenTomatoes was very discouraging, but for some reason, IMDb showed favorable reviews by audiences. This gave me some hope.

That hope was in vain. This movie was all over the place. I'm quite familiar with the DC Universe, having been an on/off comics collector since the 70's. Even so, I found myself unable to keep up with the visions, dream sequences, time-travel visits(?), and just overall plot convolutions in this movie. Some IMDb reviewers have already done an excellent job highlighting the film's foibles, and I doubt I could do better. However, I gotta say something.

The casting of Jessie Eisenberg as Lex Luthor was horrible, to the extent that Affleck as Batman warmed my heart in comparison (and I didn't much care for that). Luthor as crazy, essentially a retread of what we've seen as Heath Ledger as Joker, would have alone ruined the movie if that were the only bad thing about it. LL is a brilliant, evil, power hungry genius, not... whatever he was supposed to be here.

I cannot get into Batman's motivation. He's a ruthless violent vigilante who's above the law, and he despises Superman for being... above the law. I get the initial distrust thing, but I didn't buy into the whole picture of just wanting to be judge, jury, and executioner without even interacting with Supes first. Not cool, Bats.

Lex lets himself into the Kryptonian vessel, with the shaved fingertips of Zod? Kryptonian tech has *terrible* security; maybe they should give Apple a call - no, wait; the FBI hacked that. And then the computer recognizes the carcass of Zod, and doesn't go, "Hey, who are you? I thought *you* were Zod!" - and then kill him.

I know I was supposed to laugh or cheer when Batman tells Ma Kent, "I'm a friend of your son's," but for me it was flat. 10 minutes ago, he wanted to kill him.

On the way home, my wife and I were discussing the movie, with these observations and more. She asked me, "Was there anything about the movie you liked?" I thought real hard, and said, "um... no. Sorry to have suggested it and make you watch it." And thus justifies my 1-Star review. I guess I kind of liked how Superman comported himself with dignity, and was reasonably well-acted by Cavill. But not enough to change my score.

Hey, wasn't there also something about Wonder Woman in the movie? That quickly faded from memory.

Yawn of Justice, Yet another Hollywood Hack job

Author: dashoost (dashoost@gmail.com) from Earth
26 March 2016

SPOILER ALERT !!! (Funny how there can still be such a thing when the movie is already spoiled to begin with)

This movie was marketed to patrons of all ages but only appeals to ages 12 or younger.

My top 8 reasons (in no discernible order) to avoid seeing this movie and save 2 1/2 hours of your life...Don't do it!

1. Amy Adams/ Lois Lane - Wow! what a terribly written part for this character...Clueless and painfully unaffected by everything going on around her... I speak for all true Superman fans when I say, Margot Kidder, eat your heart out baby!

2. The opening sequence - Bat boy Bruce Wayne sees his parents killed at gunpoint....AGAIN! Why must we always have to be spoon-fed the origin of this character in every damn movie. The psychotic flashbacks from his past will likely be thrown in later on in the movie and can allude to the dark knights brooding demeanor just fine, thank you.

3, Zack (rhymes with HACK!) Snyder/ The Director - The slow motion scenes used in this movie are such a desperate contrivance. His signature trademark only lends to extending the run time of the movie (ad-nauseum) and slows the pacing down (or lack thereof) to a complete stand still at times. There's slo mo used during the funeral scene...'NUFF SAID!

4. Confusion - Early scenes will attempt to confuse the viewer (successfully) in order to tie together several gaping plot holes (unsuccessfully). The problem here is you can see these outcomes coming a mile away. The viewer is left feeling patronized and a lack of a decent script becomes evident, as a result.

5. Jeremy Irons/ Alfred the butler - Holy cow man! This guy has been mailing it in for the better part of 2 decades (since Die Hard with a Vengeance). It seems the studio financiers felt the need to strengthen the budget here by slashing the Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine salaries allowing the 2 characters to morph into one, contemptible performance by a British actor with some real acting "chops"

6. Jesse Eisenberg/ Lex Luthor - Wins the award for all time best over-acting a comic book villain since Willem Dafoe played the Green Goblin. After this heinous acting performance by Eisenberg, I am beginning to think Heath Ledger raised the bar too high for this new generation of Hollywood soft, pretentious pretty boy actors.

7. THE MAIN PLOT OBLITERATED BY.... Their MOTHERS HAVE THE SAME FIRST NAME- 2 hours of very thin plot will be totally obliterated by Batman in a scene so horribly painful. The very premise from the start is Batman going after Superman. When the audience finally arrives at this crucial moment, The Batman is going to end The Superman and get what he so painfully wanted the whole time...AND what happens next? unfortunately it goes down like this, I kid you not! Superman says Martha!, his mothers name and Batman says WHAT! WHY did you say that name, Martha!, that's my moms name!, and then Superman says MARTHA! HEY! that's my moms name! and then they cry and hug each other and become best of friends the rest of the movie!

8. LAST BUT NOT LEAST - BEN AFFLECK/ BATMAN WOW WOW WOW ...Val Kilmer and George Clooney are breathing a collective sigh of relief after seeing this pile of steroid garbage take on the role of Batman. Yes after 2 long decades the monkey has been removed off of their backs...The worst possible Batman performance in history award can now be owned solely by Mr. Ben Affleck...Did anyone ever doubt him???

An overlong, awkwardly paced, poorly edited mess, yet BvS improves on Man of Steel in almost every way and boasts some of the greatest superhero moments ever put to screen.

Author: Andrew Gold from United States
1 April 2016

I was skeptical about this one from the get-go. Zack Snyder, basically a more talented and flashier Michael Bay, taking over the DC Extended Universe and pinning two of the greatest superheros against each other. I wasn't sure he could make it work. And I'm still not quite sure if he did. The reason I say that is because the movie is missing scenes. Like most of Snyder's work, it was meant to be a rated R, three hour long movie, and in order for a wide release it had to be trimmed which means some crucial scenes were modified or cut completely, and you can tell. The editing is choppy, even frustrating at times, and the pacing is nonexistent. There aren't any build ups. It just goes from exposition to AMAZINGNESS to exposition to BADASSERY to exposition to AWESOME HOLY SH*T EXPLOSIONS, etc. I won't blame Snyder until I see his version so as of now I'd pin that on the writers and editors (if there were any editors because holy hell some of the cuts are atrocious). When the big moments come, like Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne's first meeting, or Lex Luthor's birthing of Doomsday, or hell when Batman and Superman finally go at it, they just happen. There's no emotional weight attached to any of it. It's freaking awesome to look at, but there's no pathos to give it the extra oomph that pushes great movies into the extraordinary.

Having said that, Batman v Superman is highly entertaining. The action set pieces are gorgeous and the titular showdown is indeed awesome when it finally comes. The heroes themselves are amazing. Ben Affleck as Bruce Wayne is one of the most perfect choices in casting since Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man. He IS Bruce Wayne. You never question it when he's on screen. Henry Cavill is great as the man of steel. He doesn't have much to work with but he shines when he needs to. And Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman steals the screen whenever she comes on. She's perfect. And when these heroes come together to fight the common enemy, Doomsday, it's truly a sight to behold. That is the main thing Dawn of Justice has over Man of Steel, the heroes. But while Man of Steel succeeded in the villain department with the commanding presence of General Zod, that is where Batman v Superman suffers most.

Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor didn't bother me as much as I thought it would honestly. For what he had to do, he was fine in the role. The problem is that the character is written as an obnoxious rich sociopath with a penchant for mayhem, so he's basically in the shadows for a majority of the movie acting as a puppeteer to pit Superman against Batman. He poses no physical threat of any sort. Hell, seeing him stand next to Batman and Superman you can easily see either of them crushing him like the cockroach that he is. But there is something unsettling about his unassuming manner. The courtroom scene in particular is a chilling one, and his rooftop monologue actually hits all the right beats and he borders on threatening. Again, it's less against Eisenberg and more on how the script wanted the character to be. Doomsday is fine also. The only reason he exists is to have an epic fight in the third act and it delivers, but as a character he's just... an anti-character. That's exactly what he is actually. The antithesis of Superman - a godless killing machine, a creature with no conscience, an unkillable force of nature. So he served his purpose, but there was no charismatic villain for me to be rooting for (or against). It's just a waiting game for the heroes to get into action.

The movie is also too long. Mind you, a sh*tload of stuff is crammed into the two and a half hours to warrant the runtime, but a few subplots could've been scrapped and the movie would've been better for it. I feel like if a good editor swept through the movie, trimmed the fat, put all the pieces in the right place and kept it at a tight two hours, Batman v Superman could be one of the greatest superhero movies ever made. As of now, it's a beautifully fun mess. Entertaining as all hell but lacking in depth. And again, Zack Snyder's ultimate cut may be the perfect superhero movie, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Which brings me to my main point, and that's Batman v Superman is a comic book movie. It's meant to entertain. Dissecting it and critiquing it as a piece of cinema is too easy and is an exercise in futility really, which is why I dismiss most of the critic reviews claiming it's a cinematic disaster when its entire premise is based around fantasy and the absurd. It's incredibly fun, and that's all it's supposed to be. The fact that it has some truly awe-inspiring moments and intermittently amazing dialogue is just icing on the cake. Batman v Superman is a flawed movie, no doubt about it, but it accomplishes what it sets out to. It gives us Batman versus Superman. It gives us the dawn of the Justice League. It gives us a big screen adaptation of Lex Luthor and a juggernaut of a villain in Doomsday. All the pieces are there. The question is whether or not you're willing to shut off your brain and sit back and enjoy the comic book epicness happening on screen. If you are, then Batman v Superman is an absolute must-watch thrill ride. If not, then why on earth are you seeing a Zack Snyder film in the first place?

Page 1 of 320:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]