IMDb > Last Shift (2014/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Surprisingly Very Good And Actually Fairly Creepy

Author: HorrorOverEverything from United States
18 September 2015

So I think most people's main beef with horror movies nowadays are that they just aren't scary anymore. Personally I never really cared whether or not a horror movie was scary since it's very rare that a movie freaks me out in any way. But this flick caught me off guard and had me feeling pretty creeped out a few times.

I haven't really been a huge fan of Anthony DiBlasi's past films but he really did an excellent job with this one. The movie is centered around one character alone in a police station, so we aren't really treated to any great dialogue or anything, it most relies on scares and creating a terrifying atmosphere. Some of the jump scares didn't really land on my but what really got me was just the overall creepy feel of the film, the majority of the film keeps you in a very dark and dreary place.

This wasn't without flaws though, some of the effects were a little overdone and a lot of the main characters action were very facepalm worthy, but most of them were understandable to keep up the pace of the film. Also the main actresses performance wasn't perfect, but luckily the movie really didn't need to rely on her acting.

I really enjoyed this, it was a very nice surprise and I am glad that I stumbled across it.

Amazing use of simple premise

Author: quincytheodore from Indonesia
19 September 2015

It's a rarity for movies to use lone character in extreme predicament. This rings especially true for horror movies, since most of them focus on diverse victims to build up tension. Surprisingly, Last Shift creates a very menacing night with great pace, eerie sound effect, visceral practical effect and highly intense atmosphere.

The first night at the job for Jessica (Juliana Harkavy) is also the last night her old precinct is in effect. This old police station is scheduled for closure and it's been in tattered condition for what seems to be a long time. It's the kind of building one would find in Silent Hill, with the rust and all. Being alone in the cryptic place, Jessica soon finds herself in bizarre unworldly situation.

As the exclusive lead Jessica Harkavy performs admirably. While the movie has several supporting characters, many scenes revolve around her. She brings a good young personality as a police rookie, she also displays adequate composure which slowly fades as her mind is exhausted. There's plenty of good convincing reactions from her as well as slightly more desperate ones when the paranormal occurrences escalate.

The movie also employs many fresh scare tactics, these are not limited to jump scares alone. Without spoiling much, the horror comes from creepy attrition on the lone cop, sudden swings of tones or simply precise timing for haunting. This frankly took me by surprise, they are effective either by playing with audience's expectation so well or just creating frightening bursts of ominous apparition.

Visually, it's dark but doesn't venture too much into vagueness. The occasional glimpse is deliberate, making good use of shadow and light. Sound effects play important role too, there are multiple scenes where the trickling and humming pique enough curiosity to excellently create the atmosphere.

It's not without flaws though. Not every scare is spot-on, a couple of them are less effective, and the movie still uses some fast editing. However, they are just minor hindrance as the movie keeps a solid consistent pace and its finer moments easily overshadow these hiccups.

Last Shift is a pleasant surprise. Delightfully intense and utterly creepy, it's one of the sleeper horrors in recent years.

Well done for the budget, very well done

Author: prodigychild2008
21 September 2015

OK its a John Carpenter ish homage, different enough in places, but some jumps and past camera shots are pure JC stuff.

Budget wise its low, but filmed and shot well, effects are also well done, and 90% are practical.

The first half is the better, yes the action is more so in the second, but the "been alone" worked well at the start, some good use of "lights going out"

I rate it better than many bigger budget horrors, who have 10 times the money and churn out bad story/bad acting/bad filming/no jumps....this one got 2 maybe 3 times, might not sound a lot but its very, very rare if I jump in any modern horror film.

The only thing I would change is the interrogation room flashback, should have been kept to video screens, the flashback felt out of place, acting was at its weakest there.

Jump scares done right.

Author: resrwa from West Richland, WA, USA
18 September 2015

This is one of those movies where jump scares are put to good use. There is a lot of tension build-up leading to the scares and there are enough quiet yet suspenseful parts that when the jump-scares occur are still a surprise even if you know they are coming. The overall feel of the movie is very eerie, the makeup effects are well done and the acting is good for a smaller production. While I understand that some movies are doomed by the overuse of jump-scares, this is not one of those movies. The timing of the scares, and the overall pacing of the movie is just fast enough to keep the scares coming while still giving you time to let your guard down and your heart rate to drop.

Good , suspenseful film

Author: dunfincin from Spain
22 September 2015

I wasn't expecting much from this film having read some reviews, but I really enjoyed it. Scary,jumpy and unpredictable.Some reviewers have criticised the acting of the main actress but I think she did a good job ;not easy to carry an entire movie by yourself and she had beautiful green eyes to boot. Was riveted by this film from the very start which managed to suggest nasty things to come without telling you why,what or from which direction.Good storyline and reasonable script coupled with a few chair arm-gripping moments and what more could you want? It just shows what you can achieve with some level of intelligence,dedication,imagination and skill even if your budget is limited.Producers of mindless Hollywood pap please take note.

It had potential

Author: wowmats from Norway
20 September 2015

The only reason I'm not giving this movie any less than a five is because it actually had me intrigued for a while.

Short storyline. It's about police rookie Jessica Lorren (Juliana Harkavy) on he first shift ever as a police officer. She is just suppose to watch the place for the night, but soon finds out she is not alone. Not alone indeed.

The movie takes great advantage over a small set and makes the environment creepy, as well as she being alone there is another factor to why its creepy. There are some good timed jump scares, so unsettling moments where i kinda wanna know what is going on. The acting is not very good, but fair to be a budged kind of movie, there is nothing special about the screenplay, the score or any of that stuff, but it's decent. Technically everything is not too shabby. The really cool thing was the concept and how the story could be awesome.

Now here's the deal breaker. The last 20 minutes are stupid in my opinion. It's actually so dumb and thoughtless and a shame to the build up. I'm not gonna spoil anything if you wanna give it a go, but you will most likely be disappointed at the end.

Good old style horror fim

Author: Victor Dos Santos
23 September 2015

I think it is worth writing a review, for such a low budget film it is really impressive. I have been watching a couple of horror films that were like for kids. This movie keeps you interested the whole time so I really think it is time big film companies take a look at this film and see that you don't need much money to make a good film. Old school at it's best I won't give it a 10 since obviously you miss a better production but well worth the time. Good job, and I hope that it brings back the old school films. I saw Poltersgeist and a couple other films in cinema and for sure this film is better than those films.The good thing about this film is that you are actually trying to figure out what is happening the whole time. Enjoy it.

I made an account just to write a review on this film.

Author: Aaron Cassidy from Canada
27 October 2015

OK kids, go get your security blankets, Mr. Cuddles, a mouth guard and maybe a sparring helmet; this movie scared the bajeezas out of me.

If you're watching this:

1.Watch alone or cuddle up with someone who doesn't talk, they'll ruin the whole effect.

2.Eat prior, not during.

3.Do not use any sort of tools while watching (nail file, clippers, screwdriver etc..)

4.You'll need a light blanket for the chills.

I'm somewhat of a horror movie connoisseur - from 1 star to 10, there are few I miss. It's easy to get desensitized to the mayhem and after a while there are few things you haven't seen...and then I watched LAST SHIFT.

I think what made this movie the most terrifying is the simplicity - which seems to work for some people and not others. I enjoyed the one woman show, and what a woman at that! Juliana Harkavy was a perfect cast, reminiscent of Rhona Mitra. I truly hope to see more from her. She spends the majority of the movie alone and right from the get go you can feel how much impact that has on the tension..I watched the movie alone in the dark and at 2:15a.m.I'm still feeling THAT tension.

LAST SHIFT genuinely frightened me. I had shivers, hot flashes of fear, I had to put all projectiles out of arms length and sit on my hands to avoid the reflex of smacking myself in the face to cover my eyes, and of course sudden bouts of turrets associated with all movies in which the person should NOT GO THAT WAY!!! I have LAST SHIFT fever.

All in all, it's not a huge Hollywood blockbuster and it worked out better in this case. It was riveting to be scared again - I thought I'd been totally numbed to horror movies and I was pleasantly and painfully reminded that there's always another scream just around the corner.

Great job, thank you to the cast, crew, and director for making my night!

Sloppy and derivative demonic horrorshow.

Author: Andrew Gold from United States
23 June 2016

I have to give credit to Juliana Harkavy because if not for her convincing performance, I would not have been able to finish this heap of garbage. Last Shift follows an officer covering the final overnight shift of a police station that's closing down. It's one of those isolated, creepy slow burn movies that can get under your skin. At least, that's what it could have been. What Last Shift lacks most is subtlety. There are jump scares *everywhere*. There's one sequence where it's just "boo!" after "jump!" after "ahh!" and it's just f*cking annoying after a while because none of it works. This wouldn't be such an issue if the story was relatable but it's not. The creepy cult angle has been done a million times before. Last Shift also features every haunting trope in existence - doors slamming, dead people hallucinations, whispering, singing - it's freaking exhausting.

The way the story is told is even worse. They introduce characters solely for the purpose of exposition. Instead of trying to push the narrative forward with some character development or any semblance of humanity, these characters just say exactly what's going on and then leave. Nothing is left to the imagination. The movie plays its hand right off the top and forces us down this rabbit hole of insanity and stupidity for an hour and a half. Another thing is the protagonist isn't relatable. Harkavy gave a fine performance given the material but her character is a dumbass. She should've hauled ass out of there twenty minutes into the movie but no, staying and protecting this abandoned sh*thole of a police station is more important than keeping her sanity. Yeah, no.

There's nothing salvageable here. The subject matter is inherently disturbing but it's exploitation in its purist form. It doesn't go into the psychology of cults or having a family member tied to a heinous crime. It's just like, hey, sh*t happens. Surface level scares that don't even scratch the surface. After a while of bashing you over the head with jump scares you're so desensitized to everything it becomes a waiting game for the movie to end. I guess Last Shift succeeds as an exercise in patience - how long can you sit through every poorly constructed horror cliché known to man? I recommend skipping this shift, even if it means losing the job. Whatever they're paying, it's not worth this.

Nice little horror quick fix with some cool imagery. No revolution, but entertaining.

Author: Finfrosk86 from Norway
20 September 2015

I liked this movie. It's pretty low budget, I think, but it's low budget done right. It doesn't try to be something it's not. It's a horror movie, plain and simple.

It gets going right away and doesn't make you wait for stuff to happen. The pacing is good, it's never boring.

The story is pretty simple, but gets the job done. We wanna see scary stuff, right? Yes, and we get that. There are a couple of scenes that are quite suspenseful, and there's some really cool scary imagery. There are some jump scares (I don't mind them) but only one made me jump. With just some tiny tweaks, some of the scary parts could have been for real scary, well, to me at least.

Juliana Harkavy's acting is pretty solid, we see her face quite a lot, but that's alright because she's pretty. There are a couple of the secondary characters acting that took me a little out of it, but mostly it's OK.

Besides some poor acting (from the minor cast) I could also wish some of the main characters reactions were a little more.. realistic. She sees some pretty creepy stuff, but a lot of times she doesn't seem to get scared. This must be one tough chick! I would have been scared crap-less if I was in her shoes.

Anyhow, take it for what it is, and you'll probably like it.

At least I know I like these short and sweet horror movies, get in, see some scary stuff, get out. Done.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]