IMDb > Comet (2014) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Comet

Comet More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

A painting does not have a beginning, a middle and an end

Author: bluestranger from Europe
14 December 2014

That's what "Comet" is about and that's how it feels.

It's about man and a woman shown in different stages of their 6- year-long relationship. The director's got the remote and he's switching through the "channels" of their lives: the couple after 2 years, the day they met, the couple after 1 year and so on. You just need to be able to yield the steering wheel and enjoy the scenery. And wow! What a beautiful scenery it is! This movie is about romantic mood, conversation and connecting. It's neither about events, nor chronological order. It's not about a traditional story or deep meaning, but rather about how it makes you connect the characters to your own love experiences and the fuzzy feelings you get.

As Justin Long's character says at one point: "you should see our relationship as a painting; it doesn't have a beginning, a middle and an end."

Time is not a character allowed to crash their lives'party.

It's a puzzle, an enigma you need NOT to solve.

Author: yakirue
23 January 2015

This movie was presented like a puzzle. You may want to solve it but the truth is, it has been pieced together all along.

Throughout the movie, the 6-year long relationship of Dell and Kimberly are flashed but not in a chronological manner. In fact, stages of their relationship are shown in clips that interchange the past and the present.At times, you could find yourself doubting if the events are real or were they some sort of a dream or a mere product of imagination.It may seem confusing, but it's really not. Basically, like how relationships are, the movie shows how they met, broke up, got together,etc... That's it. But what's endearing about this movie is how the story was told,how the characters were portrayed and the conversations they had.It's a masterpiece on its own.

Kudos to the director and of course, to the palpable chemistry of Justin Long and Emmy Rossum which has played a major contribution in making this film a masterpiece indeed.

Watching this movie might be confusing at first. Nonetheless, you never stop watching. That's how wonderful Comet is. It's wonderful. Truly a must-watch.

Cosmic Convergence

Author: 3xHCCH from Quezon City, Philippines
3 March 2015

This film is about the relationship of Dell and Kimberly, a young couple from Los Angeles. "Comet" follows their six year love affair in good times and in bad, with random scenes of private conversations set in various locales. The main pride of this project is its insightful and witty script brought to life by two sensitive actors.

The script is written by director Sam Esmail. It is amazing as a debut script for a debut film. His ambition seemed modest, but the final product can be enchanting. The script was full of memorable quotable quotes and eloquently-worded sentiments throughout its 90 minute running time, like the following:

"He called himself a Bob Dylan song and proceeded to call me a Britney Spears song. I don't know what it means, but it sounds insulting." "You're a now person. I'm a 5-minutes from now person." "You said you believe in love. I don't. So let's put it to a test. Date each other, me and you, In a relationship. Let's do it." "I don't belong in a world where we don't end up together." "I never thought love was real, now I think life isn't real without it."

Justin Long and Emmy Rossum have excellent chemistry together. That is one big reason this film worked, despite feeling pretentious at first. Those long conversations may seem like senseless 'flights of ideas" on paper, but these two actors make these lines believable and real. Glib Long plays Dell consistently throughout, the hip, pothead narcissist that his character was, around whose point of view the story is told. Beautiful Rossum plays his dream girl Kimberly going through a whole range of emotions like she was being two different women as she falls in and out of love with Dell.

Of course, we have already seen many movies like this. The "Before" series by Richard Linklater immediately come to mind. But instead of a continuous straightforward narrative, "Comet" breaks up the scenes into seemingly random order. This gives the film a more cosmic air that it aspires for. The gauzy, filtered photography and innovative camera angles also contribute to the dreamy effect. That final scene, a minute of silence as two suns rise over the horizon, packed such an emotional wallop.

This film is not literal. It leaves the audience to decide what the film means to them as individuals. You decide which was reality and which were dreams among the various events that flash before you on screen. Dell was telling himself (and us) from the very beginning, "This is not a dream". But is it, or isn't it? Now I think I want to watch it again. 7/10.

You can't just read reviews, this film is a must see

Author: islayedthedragongamer from Los Angeles
19 June 2014

While it could have been another love story about unrealistic people and irrational infatuation, Comet manages to hold to the indie film spirit. Which makes it, perhaps impractically, immensely easy to enjoy. Long plays insufferable in a way that still allows him to seem charming, and he definitely carries the majority of the chemistry between himself and Rossum. Rossum keeps up with the banter well enough. If she could have conveyed some sort of inner wisdom, it would have worked in her favor, but she seems to delight in her character's insensibility and takes for granted that Kimberly is simply wanted.

Perhaps love doesn't follow rules, so if Sam Esmail wants to dream up new ones in a world of his imagination, he's just clever enough to make it interesting, if not remarkable.

Modern Romance Unbounded

Author: jimster1 from Canada
19 April 2015

Hollywood movies rarely move me as the formula used is predictable, with most endings being predictable shortly into the film. If you are looking for the Americana white picket fence house in the suburbs, two kids and a dog relationship this is not for you. Comet is a statement on love between two people looking for love who have the unsocial ability to speak their mind, the truth. Truth hurts, and without the "skills" to cushion their raw feelings they do hurt each other. Its a beautiful refreshing approach to viewing a relationship, magically crafted by the filmmakers by interweaving the 6 year timeline of their relationship leading up to the final scenes. A film to show this narrative needed two actors who could bring the characters to life and make you believe, outstandingly accomplished by Justin Long and Emmy Rossum. Please realize most of this entire film is carried by these two actors, the supporting cast is small but excellent, the cinematography is captivatingly beautiful, and the musical score integrated perfectly, adding up to a great movie experience. I gave this film a 10, which I never do, to counterbalance the rating of people who obviously did not take the time to take this journey. Don't missed out on relating a few stokes of your life's colour brush to this painting..

Scenic, Poetic, Comic

Author: S Unit from United States
18 December 2014

These are three words I feel describes the features of this movie. This first feature film from Sam Esmail truly takes its viewer to the different phases of a normal relationship in the most unusual way.

This movie might be confusing at a times and the parallel universe thing sometimes adds to this confusion. But I think all this confusion adds to the beauty of this movie, making it more interesting. There are some scenes in this movie when director wants its user to interpret the moment in their own way and stick to it. I think if you stick to what you interpret from particular moment , the movie will become much more simpler to watch.

The cast Justin Long and Emmy Rossum did a fine job and the chemistry between them truly works its way to the audience. The natural flow of conversation between Justin and Emmy was one of the high point of that chemistry in my view.

But most of all I was impressed by work from Director "Sam Esmail". It doesn't seems to be a first feature film from him. The way the story unfolds in the movie is unique, though some may argue over the originality.The movie keeps me engaged throughout, in fact this was one of the movie I wasn't bored watching it for second time. This film was also the first feature film project for most of the crew members in areas like cinematography , art direction , film editing from what I see. Which is truly remarkable. Before winding this up, I would like to mention the awesome soundtrack of the movie, which I'm desperately looking forward to its official release.

This is definitely one of the best indie movie I've seen this year.

*************8/10******************

One of the most touching and beautiful films of 2014

Author: DArKnight108 from United States
9 August 2015

It is difficult for me to form words after seeing this movie. I'm sitting here at my desk trying to gather my thoughts to string together logical sentences but I have become overwhelmed with emotion.

For now let's talk technicalities. The acting, directing, cinematography and lighting, editing, and soundtrack are gorgeous. The film is aesthetically beautiful to look at and listen to, so much so that it almost hurts.

But the real star is Sam Esmail's (USA's Mr. Robot show-runner) writing. This is where I'm having difficulty expressing my general thoughts. This IS NOT a film for everyone; and that's what makes it so unbelievably special. The characters are beautifully painted and feel fresh and new, which is something I can't say often. The screenplay is so incredibly touching that it often felt like a transcending experience; something more than just a film.

If you are a fan of deeply challenging films (i.e. Mr Nobody) then this is an absolute must see. If your a film student, this is a must see. If you are a lover of cinema in general, this is a must see.

The film is on Netflix and it's only an hour and a half in length making for an extremely easy watch. Please support this film. It's such a rarity that we see such beauty in a film released in 2014.

Rossum and Long were great. The confusing editing of the story, not so much.

Author: chrismackey1972 from United States
6 December 2014

I only watched this because of Emmy Rossum, but I kinda wish I didn't. The film was rather pointless. The acting from Rossum and Justin Long was very good, but the storyline was lacking. It was very confusing because they would jump from one...story...dream...whatever it was, to another. Instead of doing that, they should've just played out the love story through its ups, downs, and finally its ending. It would've been much more endearing that way. I have to say Long's character was kinda creepy and narcissistic, because he seemed to think the relationship was all about him. He wanted her, so he followed her around until she said yes. She wanted to get married and have a kid, but he didn't, so it didn't happen. He didn't care that she was miserable, even though she told him right out that he wasn't making her happy. As she said, he seemed comfortable being miserable. When he stalks her and finds out she's riding on a train, he just has to chase her down again. When she's finally pregnant and going to marry a man who understands a relationship is not just about him, Long's character tries unraveling that bit of happiness Rossum's character has, simply so HE will be happy. Thankfully, she said no. He said he couldn't live in a world where he and she don't wind up together. Maybe he should live in a world where he doesn't have his head shoved up his butt for so long that he thinks his crap smells good.

I gave this a 6-star rating because of Rossum's and Long's talents. However - again - it was confusing as to what was supposed to be a dream as opposed to what actually had taken place. If you like Emmy Rossum and Justin Long and you want to watch anything they'll be in, this is for you. If you like a cohesive storyline though, you might wanna skip it.

A very complicated love story. Yet very wonderful and exciting

Author: Miza Zii (ziayakshama)
19 April 2015

I'm going to keep this very simple. The movie is well written and the actors are believable, a must watch for all those married couples and yet unmarried as well. The movie might be confusing but it clears up in the end.

The movie has a fabulous cast and the story keeps you going till the end. Justin Long has really surprised me with this movie. He manages to show something different this time and Emmy Rossum gives you that sweet and beautiful vibe to the movie.

Must admit that when the movie ends, it leaves you thinking about your life.

You have to wait until I am vulnerable ...

Author: imdb-69463 from United States
28 December 2015

Other reviews have covered a wide range of topics. Although I didn't find one which explained the ending. I am not a fan of movies which leave you hanging. When this movie ended my first thought was, here we go again.

Wait, what was it Dell said when he met Kimberly. He told her he lied about not seeing the Sixth Sense. A few moments later he tells her that you have to wait to lie, until he is in a vulnerable position where he will really fall for it.

While some have commented on Kimberly's role, what could be more clever than timing your turn to lie to the moment Dell is least likely to guess.

The symbolism in the ending has a lot more meaning now.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]