IMDb > "Salem" (2014) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Salem"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Salem" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

good

Author: mary rose from United States
23 April 2014

Not sure why some are bringing up history to judge this TV series. It's on WGN not the History channel. We saw the previews for Salem & it turned out to be exactly what the previews made it out to be. It's not going to be sweet & silly, we've had those. It's not going to be campy, had those. Not really for the young teens, we still have those. If you're absolutely against this series, OK don't watch it anymore. If you are giving up on it after 1 episode because it was too slow, maybe give it a few more episodes(if you have the time). You don't want them to give too much away, in the first episode. Sometimes people give up on a show too early, when the best is yet to come(I know with some shows that never happens). I'll be tuning in. It's different than the other "witch" series.

Worth the watch

Author: jonny462 from Belfast, United Kingdom
6 June 2014

I was on the fence about starting this show, until I came here and read the ridiculous 1 star reviews that actually made me give it a go. I just finished episode 1 and thought I would leave my opinion because a lot of people seem to be confused between this show and actually historical events.

For anyone who wants a 100% accurate retelling of real events from that period. This show is not for you. It doesn't claim to be accurate and doesn't try to be. Try the history channel for nice documentary.

Although a dark time in US history. There were no real witches. If this show was accurate it would be a simple small town that randomly kills innocent people for religious reasons. Perhaps that is what some of you expected from this show, but I would find that boring and repetitive. I'm happy the writers included witches and obscured some facts to make it entertaining.

This show is an entertaining twist on a dark time in US history. I don't think that means its insulting or aimed towards idiots (as some have said). I believe its what it is: a supernatural show loosely based on historical events.

Now for the show itself. The plot so far has been fast paced with some slightly strange aspects (no spoilers). The acting is so-so and the sfx were a lot better than I expected.

The only bad thing I can say is.. The brothel doesn't make sense. I'm not talking about historical accuracy. The writers have clearly setup a town ruled by religion. It seems anyone who disagrees with the religious order ends up beaten or killed. Yet they allow a brothel. I believe in this aspect the writers have tried to use sex scenes to keep people entertained and I don't think it is needed as I found it entertaining enough without those scenes.

Overall a good show and I will keep watching.

Amazing show

Author: silency-164-352799
26 May 2014

One of the best TV series of horror genre I have ever seen. I watched all series there is and can't wait for more. The atmosphere is great, show it self is intense, not slow paced and I find it very realistic (I don't talk about historical accuracy - I don't care much about that.) Effects are really good - production quality is very high. I don't have anything bad to say about the cast and the acting. Of course, Salem is not for the younger or sensitive audience, but it is a must-see for those, who like a good horror/mystery show, not some candy-boy vampire teen love story. P.S. So far I find it way better than American Horror Story (Although I liked it too).

Exactly what Tourists WISH happened in 1692 !!

Author: TheSalemCat . from Salem - America's WItch City
4 February 2015

I've lived in Salem for decades, and to their credit most local Tourist Attractions stick strictly to History.

The Honest History is amazing, with critical lessons we should all learn. Lessons concerning Greed, False Witness, Power, Government OverReach, and Religious Hysteria.

But to be honest, many, if not most, Tourists seem to leave disappointed. They're looking for EVIL WITCHES and MAGIC.

Thankfully, this series delivers a bounty of both !

It's very entertaining, with excellent character development to flesh out the blood, gore, and nudity (all of which are tastefully presented).

Each Episode exceeds the previous.

We're only up to Episode 7, and have formed very strong feelings on many of the characters, including Mary Sibley, who commits detestable deeds - but we love her anyhow !

Well worth the time spent watching !!

A Heady Witches Brew

Author: lauriepiper from New York
22 April 2014

WGN's new show 'Salem' is a surprisingly dark and sexy horror-drama featuring strong performances and top notch production values. It is an alternative history of the Salem witch trials of the 1690's in which the Witches are real and are manipulating the townsfolk to kill innocent people. The pilot episode set up the conflicts and relationships in fine fashion.

The brilliant Janet Montgomery leads the cast in a multi- layered performance, her Mary Sibley may develop into one of TV's great female anti-heroes. Strong support was offered by Seth Gabel in a wonderfully committed turn as Puritan Cotton Mather and Tamsin Merchant as a teasing bookworm.

A warning. This show is strictly for adults.It is pleasing to see how far WGN is prepared to push the envelope in this regard. The pilot included some scenes of graphic violence and near-nudity. But they were all historically accurate to the events and/or beliefs of the time. Giles Corey was indeed crushed to death under stones and people did actually believe that witches had extra nipples to feed their "familiars".

Some rather literal bloggers and online reviewers have taken offence at the concept for re-writing history but one has to wonder if they have ever actually watched any genre fiction or historical drama. They may be well advised to steer clear of Quentin Tarantino's last two movies if they don't like radical revisions of historical events. For that matter, they should avoid most of Shakespeare's plays which take huge liberties with the lives of real historical figures. (By all accounts Macbeth was a decent king who actually killed Duncan on the battlefield, not in his sleep in the middle of the night. One wonders if the ancestors of Macbeth should be indulging in faux outrage online.)

Based on the pilot episode, Salem promises to be a dark and scary pleasure.

seductive and disgusting, and i can't wait to see more.

Author: t hamilton from Australia
23 April 2014

When you get any show with supernatural overtones you generally get a bunch of girly romance twilight / vampire diaries-esque bullshit, a rather heavy tax you have to pay in order to get to the actual story.

This starts out fairly slow, and very cliché. Perfectly normal people being oppressed by the zealously religious authority, needlessly tortured for silly ideals. Then we skip forward 7 years and the story develops a new angle.

I didn't have to sit through any overtly poor acting, the storyline is very dark and adult which is an extremely refreshing change from the usual CW light and fluffy nonsense, and the effects in the woods were pretty believable.

There's a love story, an unrequited love story in fact but its interesting, even IF the leads get together romantically which you have to assume is somewhat inevitable, there's also the feeling that the 2 lovebirds will each captain, or champion if you will, the respective sides of good / evil. I even thought that had some room for exploration, the main witch isn't outright "evil" in a black and white sense, but at the same time she's torturing and corrupting people, literally devouring souls.

The only negative thing i could say that i picked up on, was that one of the effects at least of the devils / witches / occult was quite disappointing. Its brief, but the reflection when the beautiful and enjoyably naked primary witch blows out her candle after succouring her familiar on her thigh teat. It was almost identical to pretty standard effects that have been used in B grade horror films for years, Roald Dahl's "the witches" comes to mind, but its probably been used almost identically in a hundred films.

All in all really promising, strong pilot. The production values, costumes and effects were all good and the story had a refreshing take on what is often an unoriginal genre. This is only the first episode but i'm actually quite excited for a slightly more adult, supernatural tale with more robust, complex subject matter. There were no huge errors that took me out of the story which led to it looking and feeling authentic. The witches themselves were both seductive and disgusting, and i can't wait to see more.

Creative Twist on the Salem Witch Trials - GREAT SHOW

Author: saveusrecycle from Rhode Island
24 June 2014

This show is excellent. I have absolutely no complaints except that I wish I could see it more than just once per week! Waiting until Sunday evening is torture! The way they've spun the story of the Salem witch trials is quite intriguing. Imagine if it really were the witches running things? Ha! Great depiction of the Puritans and their harsh ways. The torture they inflicted on their victims. The cast of characters are great too. Mary Sibley being portrayed by Janet Montgomery was just perfect! She did an amazing job. Looking at Shane West play Captain John Alden is not a bad thing either. I hope they renew this show for a second season. Mixing fact and fiction make it so much more exciting! Enjoy the show!

Intriguing and sinister series that is quite entertaining...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
23 June 2014

"Salem" had a lot of expectations to live up from on my account, and I must admit now that I have watched 10 episodes of season 1 that the show more than does deliver.

What makes this TV series work is the intriguing storyline and how nicely it is executed and brought to life on the screen. Given the fact that I have very little knowledge of the actual events of the witch trials that took place in Salem, I can say that there is at least a very nice sense of authenticity to the show and a good feeling of realism as well - well, as real as things get when you mix witchcraft and the Devil into the picture.

The characters in the show are very, very important for the show to keep its appeal and keep it fresh and interesting. And I must admit that the various roles and characters is interesting. The townsfolk are not just fillers in the crowd, and there are lots of layers to those whose stories are shown in the show. And much of this is also of course credited to the talents portraying these characters.

Without a good cast, "Salem" wouldn't stand out as strongly as it does. They have managed to put together a great ensemble of actors and actresses to fill out the various roles and characters. Stephen Lang, once he gets into the show, really carries his role so well and he is so well cast for that particular role. Despite only having a supporting role as Tituba, then Ashley Madekwe really shines on the screen as well, and she needs to be brought more on the center stage, so to speak.

The dialogue in the movie is good, as it is not diluted with cussing and lots of inappropriate bad languages, that would most certainly not be time accurate, such as seen in other TV shows that were supposed to take place in the past.

A key essential to the show is the set and the props. And wow, they really put effort into this. It is really like being back in time, as if walking around that darkened town in those troubled times. Lots of great details in the sets, buildings, costumes and environment.

One thing that didn't really go well with me was the choice for intro music. As much as I used to enjoy Marilyn Mansons music, then his song is a poor choice for the intro. While the song, in itself is good enough, it is just misplaced for this show. And it would have worked better with a more ambient and atmospheric theme that would be more time appropriate to the period of time the TV series is set to take place in.

"Salem" is a good show that is fueled by a well written storyline and well detailed characters, and it is definitely a show that I will continue to watch. While it is no "The Walking Dead", it sure does deliver good entertainment.

WGN's Salem is absolutely SPELLBINDING!

Author: laurajenney
23 June 2014

WGN's Salem is truly THE most exciting show on television today! Very well written, fast paced, riveting and naughty! Kudos to the skillful writers of this show and for WGN for airing it! Superb acting by all members of the cast; they all prove to be true masters of their craft. One of the few shows on television today that one simply CANNOT miss. After watching each episode, one just cannot wait until next week to see the next. ...It's THAT good! There has not been a show of this intensity or caliber on television in a very long time, if ever. Thrilled to hear that there will be another season. WGN's Salem is absolutely SPELLBINDING!

Salem is awesome!!!

Author: micwalker-70653 from usa
20 April 2015

This is a great show! A great twist to one of the most tragic events in American history. We get to see some wonderful actors of past and present. I love the music open by Marylin Manson. They could not have picked a better musician. The character Mary Sibley is truly a scary one as is Mercy. I cannot wait to see what Lucy Lawless character will be bringing us all. We love Cotton, whom in real life was a very smart man. I am glad they are showing a different side of him in this show. This show is not slow and has been very fast-paced since it started. We hope they keep this on long enough for a great ending and thank you for airing an exciting super-natural show.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]