IMDb > Call of Duty: Ghosts (2013) (VG) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Call of Duty: Ghosts (VG) More at IMDbPro »

Bland singleplayer, poor multiplayer and half-decent extinction (though not half-decent enough to redeem this game)

Author: spam1689321
3 May 2014

I would just like to say before I begin that i am not one of those people who go around reviewing everything one star and writing comments like OMG DIS GAME SOOO BAD YO. I am a long time Call of Duty Player and have been playing since Cod 4.

I guess I'll start with the singleplayer. For those who don't know, this game is set 10 years after a war where the South Americans took control of America and parts of the World. You play as a a small group of Freedom Fighters (see: terrorists) called the ghosts. You also have a dog though you wouldn't know it because he only appears in 1 mission. The plot is lacking. A lot. Now I'm the sort have person who can forgive this as long as the gameplay is fun but this just isn't. Here is the basic layout of each mission: Walk to point a. Killed wave and bad guys. Walk to point b. Kill wave of bad guys. Walk to point c. Kill wave of bad guys. View something that is supposed to further the story and make you hate the antagonist. End of mission. I think I've covered the story. Moving on...

Multiplayer. The Basics: If you are new to the series, the multiplayer is 8v8 matches on maps set across the globe. There are multiple gamemodes like team deathmatch (first team to 75 kills win), Domination (capturing and holding flags earns points, first to 200 wins), Free-For-All (Every man for himself. first to 30) and a few others. Getting kills earns EXP. Getting enough EXP. levels you up. You can then unlock guns. not much has changed since before apart from the addition of squad points. They're basically CoD points from BO but they now apply to everything. Not just attachments. Everything. I personally don't like this as it makes unlocking guns too easy and you could have very powerful guns early on. Maps: The maps are bad. My main problem with them is that they are very big. Like i said, 8v8 do you spend lots of times running around. the problem with this is that it promotes camping because people think "Why should i spend lots of time trying to find someone when they can come to me." This means that you will spend lots of time running around then step into a building only to get shot by the guy who'd been sitting there for the last 5 minutes. You know its bad when the first kill happens 3 minutes in. The only good maps are strikezone and Warhawk because they are more like the medium sized maps in previous CoDs. So basically the maps are too big and everyone camps. Spawning: The thing with this game is, when you're not getting killed by a camper, you are getting killed by a dude who just spawned right behind you or you are spawning in front of a guy. the worst is definitely that the game doesn't recognise the Guard Dog (a dog which protects you until it is killed) kill streak as a player so i once spawn in the spot only to get killed by a dog 6 times in a row. Once i even spawned inside the dog which was funny until it ripped me apart. To test the spawning on the game, whenever i get a sat-com (like a UAV but it is a placeable object on the ground) i will always place it where i spawn. Normally i will work a very short distance (around 1/6th of the maps length) only to be informed that the enemy have destroyed my SAT-COM. That has to be some of the worst spawning i have ever seen in any game. The Technical Stuff Things like the hit detection, weapon balancing, connection. All perfect. It's sort of weird that the one time they manage to get this right, the muck everything else up.

Extinction Extinction is a mode where a group of up to four players must use a drill to go around an area destroying alien "hive's" It's a bit like zombies, except: The aliens do not appear in waves, only when the drill is placed. They do get progressively harder, however. It ends after destroying the 14th hive and placing a nuke to blow up the final hive. You create a class by picking soldier class (Weapon specialist, tank, medic and engineer) It's not as the fun.

The reason I don't find it fun is because it will always be the same. With zombies you can experiment, you can play differently every time, you can really change things around. with this you can change what class you use which slightly affects gameplay.

The Verdict. I wouldn't buy this game. The singleplayer is boring and the story is bland. 1 star. The multiplayer has bad maps and the spawning is very broken. Players don't help this by deciding that they must all camp. The great hit detection and balanced weapons make up for this though so the game gets an extra half star. Extinction is a decent gamemode to play if you've got nothing else to do and, despite its faults, it can be quite good at times so that gets the game another half a star leaving the game at 2 STARS The Final Verdict: You can borrow it from a friend, you can rent the game but whatever you do don't buy it!

Social Degen of duty: Ghost gets shot in the back

Author: DustinRahksi from Canada
11 November 2013

DON'T READ IF YOU ARE A CALL OF DUTY SOLDIER. I only bought this game so I could suffer through it's BS, that and I've been playing this franchise since 2004, it's kind of hard to just stop playing it. I get amused when people claim to be old school COD players when they started Black ops. Now, I have nothing good to say about this game, mainly because the god-amn thing doesn't work when ever I try to play it. Most of the issues from BLOPS 2 return, plus they had some other game breaking ones as well.

The story and survival: The story mode is almost as ridiculous as Homefront, it's your standard American fist bumping, teaching the kiddies to be patriotic and violent. The survival with aliens is flat out lack luster, zombies got old after two games, this got old after two minutes. Story gets 0 out of 5 stars. Survival gets I out of 5 stars. Off to a great start so far IW.

Multiplayer, the only reason anyone bought the game, which was a pretty weak reason to begin with. Here are the flaws I have discovered in the mear hour and a half I have played, or should I say, I could only play because it hasn't worked in two days. That IW, it's good to know the millions of people on PS3 don't deserve your exclusive platinum quality that you give to Microsoft. Flaws: 1. Maps are too damn big, and have no rhyme or reason. 2. This mans army is full of children. 3. The lag is the same old same old. 4. The graphics look like they are from 2008. 5. The single player is moronic and boring. 6. Not a single one of the faults I addressed below were even considered, except for the limp ass specialist. 7. Spawns are too close on the big maps, you always get shot in the back or spawn where you just died. 8. Same gun sound effects used in every other IW game. 9. Strip club map for the little 12 year olds to giggle at. 10. Dogs can kill you from ten feet away 11. Maps are thee worst in series history. 12. Every body hates it already. Besides the maps and camping, the biggest problem is IW has tailored this game for campers, it literally forces you to "adapt" to their new formula. Rushers get punisher, while MLG pro campers get rewarded.

Here's a paragraph from my "CoD ghosts sucks" list, it describes how the game plays for me. It's been two days of trying to get this game to work again, it worked on Friday, but hasn't worked since. Activision is a joke, same sh-t happens every year. But unlike the last fews years were I could actually join a match and play, this year it just freezes in the lobby right when the match timer runs out. When I enter kill confirmed, it freezes instantly. When I enter team death match, the lobby works just fine and I can hear people talking. The timer runs out, and it freezes. I've searched for hours on the internet for people with the same problems, there's a lot of them. Hell, my computer may have a virus now, all because this stupid ass game refuses to work. I'm stuck with this until February, no BF4, no Killzone Shadow Fall, just a 120 dollar game that doesn't work. How am I supposed to return a hardened edition, EB games won't take it back and give me a new one. Speaking of EB games, how many god damn times to I have to buy a game from them, that is either cracked or defective.

I have confirmed that all core COD fans have left already, and that all pre-MW3 fans don't give a sh-t any more. So that leaves factual evidence that 12 years olds are the only ones left, and the unfortunate adults that.... hide in corners and head glitch for a KD ratio IN A VIDEO GAME, WHAT DOES THAT GET YOU IN THE REAL.

If you want my full thoughts and rants about the game, go check out my list. As I am writing this, I am thinking of trying to go get the game to work, even though my efforts are futile. The game is a complete disaster, but the COD nerds will still defend it with their lives. Well, I'm off to go see if this game will work.

Nov. 13th/14th update: So I got the game to work on the 12th, and have put eight and a half hours in so far. The multi-player is broken beyond repair, you spawn and die within half a second at least a dozen times every hour, if it ain't that, you are probably just getting shot in the back. I play kill confirmed exclusively, since you can't very well count of getting kills, you minus well go for tags. And I consistently beast because nobody plays the objective. The guns suck, aside from the pump shoty and HB. There is barely anyone playing, I'm level 32 and am already rank 10'000 in the KC play-list. On the positive, it is more enjoyable than BLOPS 2, I love the Honey badger, Tar 21, and also spread my time through whatever garbage they through in. I haven't touched anything outside of AR and SMG categories, squad points are scarce, to bad you couldn't just unlock them as you progress. Stone Haven and Soveriegn are a snipers paradise, they just run around and quick scope you in a millisecond, or snipe you across map with an ACOD scope, same sh-t different year. I've only met one player who I had to battle with for 1st place on the scoreboard. He got the better k/d, but I always got more tags, so I claim victory.

Not just worst Call of Duty--worst game I've ever played

Author: David Tingey
14 June 2014

The only thing stopping me from giving this game a 1 out of 10 is that the space level was fun. Nothing else about this game was even remotely fun. Many people give Call of Duty a stereotype that they're all the same and it's just shooting people to kill time to make the levels long enough. That only holds true for this game. I love Call of Duty. The Modern Warfare games are some of my favorite games and I enjoyed Black Ops, but honestly, after Modern Warfare 3, I didn't expect much from the next games, but I always gave each new installment a chance. I did the same with this game, but instantly regretted it. This game was absolutely awful. The story was horrendous, forced, and poorly executed and the multi player was the worst I've ever seen in any game.

Campaign

The good thing about Infinity Ward games was that each one added something new, no matter how small. MW1 had went from WWII to modern day and we got to see what our military is going through in Afghanistan. It had new weapons like Javelins and Stingers, it had all out fighting missions and enough stealth missions to balance them, they had ghillie suits, a nuclear bomb, and nuclear missiles, which had never been done before.

MW2 took it one step further. It had all out fighting missions and some stealth missions, it had Javelins and Stingers but in different circumstances, it also added the Predator Drone and had the player fighting in the United States. You were fighting in neighborhoods in Virginia and in Washington DC. The sight of the Washington Monument, the White House, and Capitol Building under siege hit home for the players and made us identify with the Rangers. It also threw in that twist ending that set up MW3, had new weapons and sights, amped up the multi player, and added specials ops. MW2 built upon the foundation that MW1 set and raised the bar not just for Call of Duty, but for all first person shooter games.

MW3 didn't add very much, but it had you fighting all over Europe as well as America. You were in New York, India, Africa, Europe, Siberia, and Saudi Arabia. That's one of the elements that is needed to make games great: location. You're all over the map in the Modern Warfare trilogy and even in the Black Ops games. In Ghosts, you spend most of the time in California in the exact same place doing the exact same thing. Every level is either the same as the one before it or the same as a level from a different Call of Duty game, just worse. The introduction is ridiculous and unrealistic, the flash back is unnecessary and only there to make the game long enough, the cliffhanger ending is irritating and has been done before in so many other games that when you see it here, it's just annoying. And its an attempt by the game makers to have their audience keep buying their games, which they won't after this.

Multi player

Multi player was terrible. This is the first time that only two people can go on multi player. Not just for online play, but for local play. Only 2 people can play each other at once, for team death match, bots, and extinction. Some of the best parts of Call of Duty are the multi player where people can have fun by killing each other. What use is it when a group of friends get together and only two people can play at the same time? That's not fun.

I don't know why Infinity Ward took the Bots idea from Treyarch, but they did and they completely butchered it for Ghosts. The bots are ridiculously hard, even on Recruit difficulty. Recruit on this game is like veteran on Black Ops.

Extinction seemed like Infinity Ward was trying to combine survival with Gears of War aliens. You just go around and destroy alien hives with weapons that do nothing against nearly indestructible aliens. Why they sprung for this and Bots instead of spec ops and survival is beyond me.

It's like they didn't even try with this game, but recycled levels and ideas from past games and made them worse. Do not waste your money or time on this game. It is not worth it

Why ghosts? Cause CODs dead and it's the last piece of sh*t COD I'll ever buy

Author: rlrl-20-159527 from United States
6 June 2014

I had average expectations for this game after what happened with BO2. Played it and guess what happened? It's the WORST COD ever made.

Why?

Mediocre storyline, extinction kinda flopped, and did I mention the stupidity of the MP? I LOLed at their "destruction" at E3. Get BF3, BF4, GTA, or any other game. Or even go back to BO2. They're all 10x better than this piece of sh*t game.

Overall terrible copy and paste game, stupid MP, and pathetic destruction. STAY AWAY FROM THIS GAME!!

Butthurt yet, COD fan boys?

My Lord... Really?

Author: robbinsm2138 from United States
31 January 2014

Infinity Ward really blew it with this game. I have never, in my entire life, hated a game as much as I hate Call of Duty Ghosts. Easily the worst COD I've ever played, and arguably one of the worst games I've ever played. Let's start with some of the positives: Pros: You have the ability to physically eject the disc from your console.

Cons: Where do I start? Campaign has been done already. It seems similar to... I don't know... Every other COD created. The only difference is there are a few moments where the cut scenes start you off doing something really cool. And I do have to admit that the intro to the campaign was pretty gripping. It ended with an action-filled, yet frustrating, level that may make you wanna punch something if you're on Veteran and looking for a challenge. The rest of the missions? Basically the same old scenario where you're with friends to detonate some bomb or retrieve some intel; and of course, while you do that, it happens to be in a huge room with 10 flanking points. So you already know where this is going. Get ready to 'hold down this position' for 10 minutes while you get destroyed by enemy fire.

Next, let's talk about Squads. It's pointless, so there's that.

Next, let's talk about Multiplayer. This is where the peak of my anger hit. WORST MP EVER PLAYED. The maps are larger than Richard Sherman's ego. What happened to the fun and exciting maps? What happened to the open areas? There is one map that has a lot of space for you to even see anyone before you get shot, and that is the castle map called Stonehaven. Yet, they managed to make this map the worst map in the game! IT'S TOO BIG! Yet, every time you spawn you have someone camping across the map to snipe you in the face. Which I cannot even blame the people for doing because you pretty much HAVE to use a sniper or you'll go negative 25. I know why they made these maps so big: to get the Battlefield community even remotely interested. Let me tell you what, leave Battlefield separate from COD. COD is for people who like fast paced, NON-CAMPING, easy to figure out gameplay that is actually fun. Not this crap. Battlefield people like this tactical stuff and the big maps make sense for them. The spawns are god awful. The first day I played Multiplayer I got spawn killed 16 times in a row. 16!!! And on the 13th time I spawned with 3 other enemies IN THE SAME PLACE.

Now, I'm not going to say I'm the greatest COD player alive but I am very good. I have over a 2.2 KD in every COD except World at War (since I couldn't enjoy that one either) and I am rocking a 1.01 right now in Ghosts because of the spawns. No one has a good KD in Ghosts... and if they do, they're cheating or camping spawns. It's just the way it goes. Sooner or later everyone is going to realize this, so then EVERYONE is going to get so upset that THEY will start cheating and camping spawns; it is a snowball effect that will be unavoidable. This will be the first Call of Duty I ever sell. And actually, I feel so bad about selling it to some other poor soul to go through the same BS that I went through, which is why I'm just gonna give it to them for free. To use for skeet shooting. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT give this game a chance. Unless you enjoy getting wrecked every game, in which case, have at it.

Thoroughly Disappointing

Author: masterassassin03 from Australia
13 November 2013

WARNING- SPOILERS

Worst Call of Duty game to date.

The campaign is an exact copy of Modern Warfare 2, even ends in the same manner. Ending was way to predictable and I found the characters, with the exception of Keegan, very annoying. The only enjoyable mission was the one where you were on the Space Station, the rest were boring. Campagin couldn't live up to the excellent one in Modern Warfare 2 & 3. Campagin: 4/10

Extinction mode also fails to live up to expectations. It was just a re-hash of Black Ops Zombies (which was fantastic). Map was awful, and some of the aliens were almost impossible to kill. Extinction: 2/10

Multiplayer is by far the WORST feature of the entire game. Firstly, split screen is limited to 2 players instead of 4. Infinity Ward has adopted the Black Ops system of everything is unlocked immediately, unlike previous games, defeating the purpose. The maps are terrible. The spawn points are to close to each other: if you die, you will spawn and immediately die again. There are too many perks, not enough guns or camouflages and the grenades are just terrible. The AIs are ridiculously strong, even on Recruit difficulty. One shot and you are dead, but multiple bullet hits will not kill them. Absolutely stupid. Multiplayer: 1/10

Overall, this game is thoroughly disappointing. There are no redeeming features in this game. I was a big fan of Call of Duty: I've played all CoDs and loved them. This has just ruined the series for me. I will not be buying any in the future. Don't waste your money!

Very fun iteration of the Call of Duty franchise

Author: Bob Jones
15 November 2013

To start out with, video games with recycled features aren't bad, if each iteration is fun to play. The campaign is a completely new story, and while the story isn't quite as good as the previous iterations but is still very enjoyable and entertaining experience. The main villain Rorke is entertaining enough. This campaign is outlandish but fun. On to the multi- player. They made some improvements to the recognizable Call of Duty multi-player formula. For starters, they added the smallest bit of destructible environment. It is kind of weak and there is so little of it that it is hard to notice, but it is a good start for future entries to pick up on. They've added many different guns, for all of you MW3 haters out there. Also added are new maps, lockable doors, a reward that wipes out the entire map, floods, and earthquakes. The new entry in Call of Duty is as fun as ever and I recommend it to fans of the franchise.

CoD Ghosts (PS3 version)

Author: Just-Being-Me from United Kingdom
5 March 2014

OK so when i knew Call of Duty Ghosts was coming out me and my partner were looking forward to getting it and waited a while for it, we then saw it and purchased it. It was the worst £40 i have ever spent. Neither of us like it, the worst thing about it was there was constant lag so there was no way you could kill anyone.

I don't know if it is because i am used to CoD Black Ops 2 because they are very different to each other and i looked online as i thought "is it just us who hates this game" and no, in fact i saw more negative than positive posts about it. I don't see why they have to change things so much.

Now don't get me wrong... i completed the campaign and it was alright, not great but alright, ending sucked. Then i gave Extinction a try and i like that, that is the only thing i like about the game, it is better than Black Ops Zombies but there is only one level and if you want to purchase another Extinction level, you have to buy the full map pack at around £12.00. Why not sell Extinction maps separate because that is the only good thing to come out of this game.

Some people will prefer Ghosts over Black Ops etc and everyone is different so that is fine, it is just not for me. Even though according to what i have seen online... Ghosts is more hated than Black Ops so bring another Black Ops out if you insist on making more CoD games.

I personally think this game should get a 2 out of 10 and that 2 points is only for Extinction.

The Series Has Hit An All-Time Low.

Author: Michael O'rourke
6 December 2013

Before I completely trash Call Of Duty Ghosts,let me state that I have never hated on the Call Of Duty series as of to date. That all changed with Infinity Wards first COD game since the Modern Warfare Series ended back in 2011. Now again like I said I have never despised Call Of Duty or purposely not played it. I have given it chance after chance but in reality the truth is the COD games have been rapidly getting worse and worse since Modern Warfare 3.

It really does baffle me how the developers over at Infinity Ward were satisfied with Ghosts come the release date. The last game that proved COD still had it was Black Ops I and that was only because they based the campaign on the Cold War Years. Judging on Black Ops II and Modern Warfare III,s Plots it seems that both the Writers of the story and the developers don,t really know what there doing. Apart from the exception of Modern Warfare I and II there original story's are weak and it gets even worse with Ghosts.

The Campaign takes place 10 years after a devastating mass event, the nation's borders and the balance of global power have been redrawn forever. A superpower no more, its economy destroyed and its Government in ruins. a mysterious group known only as "Ghosts" leads the fight back against a newly emerged, technologically-superior global power.

Now let me tell you whats wrong with the Campaign. To put it simply its uninteresting. Its a Plot that has already been done many times before. There's no real originality to the Plot or the Missions. The Characters don't help either. There back story's and personalities are so "Wooden" that it makes it impossible for you to care for them. As ever the gameplay also has not changed with more quick-time events than ever before which is more of a nuisance than satisfying. The campaign isn't even worth playing if I'm honest. The best fun lies with the Multiplayer and not even that is enough for this game to be considered good.

The Online experience is what you would expect. its much more fun and entertaining than the boring Black Ops II's online gameplay. The guns have vastly improved in the Assault and Sub Machine Gun categories as well as the kill streaks but sadly the errors overcome these Positives. Once again the Maps are poorly Designed. The Graphics are awful and many times I found my self frustrated over the lag Issues and the multiple Hackers that disrupt the overall experience.

Ghosts has its fun moments from time to time but overall its a poorly produced game that judging by the sales so far has mostly destroyed the future of the series. To be frank your best off avoiding this. the Price is much too expensive for a few enjoyable moments and there is much better options out there. Call Of Duty may be no more.....

The good old days are gone

Author: lxfanaticxl from Canada
16 November 2013

I have played ghost enough to give it the review it deserves. I must say, society is so delusional that we think that whenever a new call of duty game is released that we are taking a step forward, but it is the opposite. The campaign is unprecedentedly short, seriously, it took me 5 and a half hours to beat on hard with 18 missions. But no one really cares about the campaign? A lot do actually. I can recall when I played world at war and the first modern warfare, the pinnacle of the COD series. I would replay missions to the point where my game time was mostly just campaign. The campaign is actually one third of each COD game so it does matter. To add, there was no meaning or purpose in the story, at least mw3 did follow up with some background. Squads is nothing special, simply an extension of survival from mw3 mixed with online strangers as enemies or friends. I'd suggest this game mode with friends you know for a better time. The multi player...it obviously has problems since the game is quite new but hopefully infinity ward isn't still a greedy franchise hoarding money from game addicts and finally gives a damn about the community to fix them. To name a few: enemy players spawning up my ass, the obvious lag, game freezing up (my ps4 is just fine and the disk is un scratched), yay host migration and there are people already trying to hack the damn game. There is nothing special about COD ghost, they should title it mw3 2.0 because it is so similar, it's like Infinity ward spent 10 months scratching their ass and the next 2 months rushing like a procrastinating high school student. Luckily I hadn't bought the game but merely rented it for free from my local library. Get your act together IW, your loyal fans are waiting for when you actually produce something decent.