IMDb > The Snare (2017) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Snare More at IMDbPro »

WOW!! Truly horrific!!....A well put together tense, taut, thriller.

Author: here-s-johnny856
9 January 2017

So many layers, so much going on, difficult to take it all in on the first watch. Certainly requires a second viewing.

If I had to be really critical I would say that I feel like maybe they should have tried harder to find a way out of the apartment and should have tried to find alternate exit routes. It felt as if they gave up a little too easily....but then again, this is no ordinary scenario, since there is this evil demonic force manipulating things from below the surface.

My partner and I talked for ages afterwards trying to unravel what it is that actually dwells in the apartment and whether or not it was real or part of some strange fantasy concocted by the main character.

Don't watch whilst eating.....felt so sick watching parts of it but totally worth it.

Ain't gonna be able to put this one out my head or a while.

Genuinely creepy

Author: cjs6547
7 January 2017

As a horror movie that frankly spooked the socks off of me, I gotta say this movie deserves more love. It is not lame like some of the Ouija releases. It does not, in my opinion, try to be 'The Shining' or overreach its artistic capabilities. In fact, a close comparison would be 'The Hole' (2001), with more elements of the supernatural mixed in.

The characters are obnoxious but believably real. The film uses several slow shots to build suspense and tension, and this only adds to the general sense of creepiness and unease. I jumped at least three times during this film. Not a fan of jumpscares? Don't worry, there are at least two more mediums of horror used in this film (survival horror and mental illness) so there's something for everybody!

The story is not really original (like I said, The Hole did it before), but its not really predictable and its nice to see the writer make some bold choices. There are plenty of shocking scenes that already make this film stand out from contemporary 'safe' Hollywood horror.

A must see for a horror lover like myself, this will fix you up for a while! 7/10.

Bold, brave and different! Took balls to make this.

Author: jezdav
9 January 2017

Must say, am not a huge fan of this movie after watching, as I feel it did have some issues. Although this is to be expected of course given the natural limitations of a low budget horror.

Despite it's flaws this movie does get a lot of things rights and is a very bold attempt to try and do something different and for that alone I highly commend it as this was so refreshing to see. Was relieved not to have sat through another empty rehash.

It must've took real f****** balls to make something like this in a market that's over- stuffed and over-filled to the brim with generic middle of the road SAFE horror pics.

Some genuine creepy moments in this too. Like on a whole another level of CREEPY!!!!

As for it's flaws, it would have been great to have seen more of Alice's backstory so that we can understand more about her relationship with her father, although I understand why a lot of this was left ambitious and open to speculation.

Also, some of the best bits of this movie are when the two girls are uncovering the fate of those who were trapped in the apartment before they were (won't spoil it here) but it would've been great to have explored this more and to have seen more evidence of 'those who came before'

Certainly don't regret watching and would recommend.

Good movie. Weaker on narrative but that doesn't hurt it IMO

Author: bbaker1971
9 January 2017

For starters, good movie, really enjoyed it.

Strong on atmosphere, great performances, a real sense of mystery throughout and nail biting suspense.

However, I would say that it is weaker overall in terms of story and character, although I don't feel this hurts it too much because of the type of film it is.

This film is more about an experience....an emotion driven, mood driven and tension driven piece and that is where and why I feel it excels.

It doesn't matter whether the characters are likable or not in this context. It's apparent from the get go that this film positions the audience as the cold spectator so that they can witness the horrific events that take place and then draw their own conclusions. It doesn't hold your hand, it's up to you which characters you like or not, feeling connected to them and empathizing with them is not important or essential when it comes to watching this.

Likewise, similarly to The Shining, which was obviously an influence, I get the impression you're not supposed to get all the answers, its not supposed to make complete sense, that's the very nature of what makes the paranormal frightening if you believe in that sort of thing.

It's what makes you think about it afterwards and keeps you talking about it.

Would recommend a watch.

True Indie Masterpiece

Author: Commander Keen from Belgium
9 January 2017

Start with this, English in not my mother language. My apo's for spelling mistakes... How's your Dutch btw? :-)

The general opinion doesn't seem to agree with me. 3.4 vs 9??? Well, I've read the user reviews already here. And Shining, well (only applies to movie not book) always has been a little overrated to me. But I can see the parallels that were drawn. Alice in Wonderland? The woman is slowly descending into madness. If that's a reference to Alice in Wonderland I can see one in every movie. Just take it for what it is pls.

I just think it does not have the aspiration to be like that movie (Shining). At least not intentionally. I just watched it for what is was, and these are my personal conclusions:

It's a slow burner. You have to like that kind of movie. I know that put's off a lot of people. It relies heavy on it's creepy atmosphere. You have to invest in the movie to get really into it. The acting of the lead actress is outstanding. Her mental descent and physical transformation are really impressive. For me seldom seen in low budget movies. (The original Martyrs comes to mind as another exception) It is very scary. Not only by atmosphere but also by jump scares. It is visually stunning in it's simplicity, because it does not have that "Hollywood film" over it and yet it's able to grab you by the neck. It looks "European real (for lack of better words) It's also somewhat gory. Depends on what you are used to I guess. But there are definitely some stomach-turning moments. It is also erotically charged in a sick kinda way. First seduction and innocent flirting, then animal instincts taking over. And damn it is so creepy!!!

Watch this movie if you like slow burnin' horror movies. If you have a short attention span, go watch ghostbusters (n.o.) You have to like the genre, if not, that's the only condition I can think to let this one slip.

And for the love of god. For once they showed a boob. Just because it happened to be there... on a chest... of most women...

Amazing Movie!...Bold! Divisive!...Haters gonna hate!

Author: k.gel.1726
9 January 2017

First off, let's get one thing clear. THE SNARE is nothing like THE EVIL DEAD. The comparison seems so far off the mark to me it's as if the guys on the marketing team who put out that press release comparing it to EVIL DEAD haven't even watched this movie.

Secondly! After all that said...Wow this is a great movie! It's utterlly relentless with what it throws at you....Starts slow at first but then it just hits you again and again and again.

Gripping, believable performances, a rich, foreboding atmosphere and extremely harrowing to watch all round.

DEFINITELY NOT FOR EVERYONE...I totally get why some people wouldn't enjoy this, especially if you're going in expecting something like the Evil Dead.

I'd say that as a movie its much closer to THE SHINING in style but is different enough to be it's own thing.

Like I said, some people really won't like this but if you fancy something different and a genuine scare then this one is certainly worth a watch, even if just for the experience!!!

But not when you're eating!

Very enjoyable from avid horror lover

Author: Cj
10 January 2017

Very much enjoyed this movie - thought it was strong from a variety of aspects

To put this style of movie out there I was concerned it'd be cheesy and not effective however it was crafted carefully and creatively and didn't follow the typical cliché in terms of which way it was taken, it instead teased with the narrative

I enjoyed the different layers within this film, it has the jump factor for those watching it on a visual viewing level alongside the deeper and more twisted psychological levels which can leave the viewer feeling uncomfortable and distressed - exactly what you'd want from watching a horror!

A strong movie which clearly had a lot of though put into the creative process - some of the beautiful scenery shots were very aesthetically pleasing and the horror sequences later in the film were crafted and edited together perfectly.

Well worth a watch whether to be enjoyed on a disconnected, just watching a film level or on the deeper level - reminiscent of how I felt watching movies by Guillermo Del Toro (The orphanage/Pans Labyrinth)

Well done credit to the team who created this movie

Welcome to the Garbagerie

Author: S. Soma from United States
6 January 2017

I make a conscious effort not to be snarky or hypercritical in my reviews. I don't think I'm going to be successful this time.

Oh. God. Was. This. Movie. Awful.

I believe C. A. Cooper, the director, was going for path-oss, drahmah, and atmossfeer but only achieved tripe, drivel and nonsense.

Consider the movie THE SHINING. On one level, it's simply a horror picture and can be enjoyed as such; viewed in this manner, it just brings Stephen King's famous novel to the screen and presents imagery designed to create the sense of growing, shuddering horror the story wants to inspire.

But there is an entirely different level of sophistication to Stanley Kubrick's version of THE SHINING. The movie is literally packed with symbolism and subtext in virtually every shot. With as much speculation and theorizing about all of the symbolism and hidden meaning that surrounds Stanley Kubrick's film, some of it is doubtless the result of hyper- interpretation; sometimes an unexpected continuity switch is just an error. Nonetheless, so much of it is so specific it has to have been deliberate. Watch the movie ROOM 237 for more insight on this point.

I bring up Stanley Kubrick's THE SHINING because I think that's what C. A. Cooper was going for, at least stylistically, in THE SNARE. Strange horrifying visions intermixed with regular scenes intending to ramp the sense of increasing, distorted horror was the intent. What we got was a horrible mishmash that looks like the unmistakable fingerprint of a director reaching well past his capabilities and resources.

All 3 main characters in the picture are especially dislikable. What does that add to the movie? Nothing.

The movie is filled of close-up head shots, especially of Alice, doing nothing but looking out of frame and being… What?… Pensive? What does that add to the movie? Nothing.

The opening credits scene has background shots of a maggoty rabbit. Why? Well, given that it's a maggoty RABBIT, and the main character's name is Alice, and that the whole movie is a representation of an unreal, distorted experience, I imagine we're supposed to draw a parallel with ALICE IN WONDERLAND. Is there some deeper meaning in this? None that I can find. Does that make some larger, major point about the story? Search me.

In one scene we watch the jerk male character, supposedly from starvation, voluntarily eat a maggoty chicken drumstick, then throw it up, then whip around and have diarrhea on it, and then get off the toilet and begin reaching into the toilet as if to… What? Re-eat it? What does this add to the picture? Nothing. It's just gross.

Again with the jerk male character, there's a scene where this character, supposedly starving and dying of thirst, suddenly and unreasonably decides to rape 1 of the 2 women. Where does this energy come from? Who knows?

Many days (perhaps weeks) into the ordeal of being trapped on the top story of the apartment building which is the setting of most of the movie, one of the women still has intact mascara and eyeshadow on. Mind you, she is supposed to be dealing with starvation and thirst at this point. But I guess you should always try to look your best.

Inexplicably, Alice's teeth are pearly white, and then suddenly go visibly grey in the scene where they're so hungry they engage in cannibalism, and then they return to white again in a subsequent scene. Huh?

The apparent health of all of the actors doesn't change for the bulk of the picture. They're engaging in cannibalism and eating spiders and all the while looking like all they need is a bath and some deodorant to be ready for a hot night on the town.

This movie is a mess. It attempts to be deep and artsy but only manages to be clumsy and ridiculous. It's actually difficult to see its fundamental flaws because one is so overwhelmed by all of its superficial flaws.

I only watched this movie to the end so I could write this review without having to admit I didn't finish it. It was a bad decision.

Mystrey

Author: eldin_mostafa
15 January 2017

In fact i did not understand well what the story saying ? But i like such type of mystery movies , specially Hitchcock old movies , but really this movie confuse me , and i did not understand it well Some awful scenes in fact also I did not understand the scenes of child's with Alce And also the old woman , her husband relation The British movies are good in most cases Photgraphics are good Music and sounds are fantastic Last scene is confused as well , what the young man relation , Mystrey and mystery , more details are missing form the movie I hope if someone explain to me. , more details about this story and the writer Also to indicate the meaning , the site write more in the plot

Not scary and not very good.

Author: roboteach from United Kingdom
14 January 2017

Having just walked out of the very hyped La La Land after the abysmal opening number I decided to try and scare myself back into appreciating films. Unfortunately I once again believed the positive reviews and was suckered into watching (well OK I was on my phone after a very short while) the meandering pointlessness of this dreary and uninspiring dirge. Now I have seen some truly awful films and also refused to watch the majority of many (Death race 2050 being one) but I mostly don't bother to review them unless the reviews are ludicrously generous. If you like horror films then just don't bother with this as it is not scary at all (unless you are a microwave oven, but you would have to watch it, or find someone else who has, to understand that comment). Avoid - you have been warned!