IMDb > Ride Along 2 (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ride Along 2

Ride Along 2 More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Accomplishes its purpose ...

Author: Razvan Rogoz from Romania
22 February 2016

What do you expect? You know what kind of movie this will be.

It is a bit dumb and full of clichés. The story is paint by numbers and you can predict the ending after the 30 minutes. The characters are as stereotyped as possible (ranging from no non-sense cop to diabolical, good looking evil mastermind and very attractive female side-kick).

It is a bad movie though? No. I've actually enjoyed it. It is the kind of movie to which you go, have a laugh laugh, go home and forget all about it. It won't enter any top movie list and it won't teach you anything useful. But it will make you laugh and that's a good thing.

I guess there were better movies out there for which to pay $10 to see, but I don't regret the time spent. It was like eating a bar of chocolate, good and then you move on with your life.

Keep riding

Author: Prismark10 from United Kingdom
12 April 2016

After the success of Ride Along comes along this lukewarm retread with less plot and less funny lines.

Ice Cube and Kevin Hart are still the prospective brothers in law to be but Hart is a probationary police officer. An interesting beginning as Hart ends up being responsible for Cube's partner, Tyrese Gibson getting shot.

After that the plot moves to Miami where the two head off to find a hacker, Ken Jeong who is there to trade comedy with Hart while Cube can get on with the main plot of taking down a crime lord, Benjamin Bratt.

There are a few amusing scenes, the pair trade insults and banter with each other as Hart desperately tries to impress Cube. There is some decent action in the last part of the movie but it just feels like a lazily inspired sequel that brings nothing new to the table.

Misfires, even with low audience expectations

Author: Jazzy31133 from NYC
5 February 2016

I am a Kevin Hart fan. Some comedians just have the innate ability to make you laugh, and I feel like he has that indescribable ability. My expectations were for low, like for every comedy sequel and I wanted to like this movie. But...

The audience expectations for a comedy sequel are so low it should be relatively straightforward for the screenwriter and director to satisfy us. The situation is perfectly setup for a studio / audience win win. Give us recycled jokes in a new setting, we laugh through a forgettable movie and studio makes bank. Unfortunately, in my opinion, Ride Along 2 falls prey to the usual sequel pitfalls and doesn't even give Kevin Hart room to maneuver.

The best parallel to a recent movie I can think of is The Hangover Part II. Part I was so funny, everyone was going to give Part II a watch, hoping it would top the first installment. Instead you got the sequel trap - recycled jokes (still can be funny), but the bigger budget distracted the director.

That encapsulates Ride Along 2. Unfortunately, the bigger budget means less time for Kevin Hart to be funny and more action scenes, which no one really cares about. Watching the movie, I felt like I had to impatiently wait during the usual foot chase / car chase / shootout scenes to get rewarded with a Kevin Hart joke.

We did not pay money to watch ice cube shoot at bad guys. We wanted to laugh at Kevin Hart. It is so frustrating because the formula for success is so easy to execute. Show us the beginning or ending of action scenes and give Kevin more time to play off the stone faced ice cube. Ice cube doesn't even need to act to play the straight cop, anyone could do it. But instead we get way too long action scenes, romantic ice cube subplot (which is so unrealistic it actually distracts the viewer and takes away from the movie) and less laughs.

If you are on a plane or want to put on a movie as you fall asleep, Ride Along 2 is the play. Don't waste time and money in the actual theater for this one.

Ride Along 2 is just another lazily made buddy-cop movie.

Author: Peter Lorme from United States
22 February 2016

Ride Along 2(2016) is just another lazily made buddy-cop movie. I strongly disliked the first 'Ride Along'. The action was underwhelming, the jokes were weak, the plot was lazy, and the movie was ultimately forgettable. 'Ride Along 2' does nothing to improve upon the original. As a matter of fact, it is somehow worse than the original. The action, comedy, and elements of the plot are shamelessly copied from the original. The film moves location from Atlanta to Miami. Why Miami? Because Miami is a huge tourist spot that attracts tons of people. Atlanta does not. So of course the film jumps location. Instead of being creative, putting a unique spin on things, or making a memorable movie, Ride Along 2 opts to make a cheap buck. Most people will forget about this movie within a week.

The Trailer Is Way More Entertaining Than The Movie!!

Author: sam isaac from United Kingdom
24 January 2016

I Have to admit I was suckered in by the trailer, it was exciting and action packed. I thought they were doing a Bad Boys style movie, boy was I wrong. This was like a long TV episode of an American crime show like NCIS, Hawaii Five-O, or CSI but not as intriguing or engaging.

All the action is in the trailer. There's about 3 action scenes and all 3 are not that new or good, they're the type you'd see in standard TV shows. There's some poor computer game animation mixed into one action sequence(cus Kevin Hart's character loves to play computer games) which totally ruins the rhythm of that action sequence and ruins the enjoyment of it. The end action sequence looks like they couldn't be bothered, something you would have gotten in a straight-to-video 80s/90s action flick.

It wasn't a good comedy either, there was about 3-4 little chuckles throughout from some of the audience including myself for some of the one liners. I read before i went in to watch this sequel that it was more of an actioner than comedy but for me it didn't deliver in either.

I wasn't expecting anything new or groundbreaking storywise but at least give me something to keep me interested but its a film that came across as if they took scenes from loads of other similar films and just copy/pasted them together.It all just looked WAY too familiar and not in a good way.

So overall i don't see any reason to recommend paying hard earned money to watch it at the cinema. I'd recommend waiting until it comes on TV,as it is like a TV episode anyway. Then at least you can switch over to another channel if your not feeling it.

If you do want to go to the cinema to watch a comedy then i would definitely recommend DADDY'S HOME if it's still out, very very funny, you will defo leave with a smile on your face.

But if your really in the mood for an action-comedy then i would recommend SPY,which was out in 2015 and is out on DVD now. Great action, very funny and very entertaining. Everyone i know that's seen it loved it.

So cheesy

Author: coljam21 from United States
3 April 2016

What ever happened to good comedic movies? It seems they died out in the 80's. Every comedy now is about the star falling on his ass or ramming into a tree or face planting on the pavement. So tell me how is this supposed to be funny? I don't like Kevin heart movies because I don't think they're funny but went to watch this with a friend.

So this movie was all about talking loud, acting stupid and taking hard hits to the face and groin. I rolled my eyes throughout the entire movie and shook my head in wonder. How he heck do these movies make money? Oh yeah because suckers like me are forced to go watch them. I will stay away from all heart movies in the future no matter who tries to drag me with them for company.

Will Take You Ride Along 2 Sleep

Author: Sam Murphy (sam_murphy) from Australia
1 May 2016

Kevin Hart is making movies faster than rabbits breed, and its not panning out in his favour.

Ride Along was bad, and it's sequel is worse. Hart's comedies are very hit and miss at the moments - some a merely OK, and other are absolute garbage, and unfortunately this falls with the latter.

The jokes that are littered throughout Ride Along 2 are often crass and almost completely unfunny- and derive most of their humour from a range of stereotypes and ridiculous comedic sequences which would fall in line with the like of The Three Stooges. The worst thing a comedy can do is bore you, and this does is effortlessly. Many of the amusing parts (of which there are few) are mostly due to the brilliant ad- libbing skills of Kevin Hart and Ice Cube.

The story, just as its predecessor, is predictable and completely disinteresting. The characters along with it are underwritten, and the additions of the likable Ken Jeong and Olivia Munn are wasted on a script that squanders the talents of its cast.

Ride Along 2 is a boring derivative mess that relies on stereotypes far too heavily for its desperate humour. Unfortunately it made quite a deal of money at the box office, so it's a safe bet to say that Ride Along 3 is just around the corner.

pure torture

Author: rwolfe-51222
3 February 2016

Ice Cube, Benjamin Bratt, Ken Jeong, all fun to watch and good at their craft.

Kevin Hart is not funny. He is the most annoying person. His incessant chatter meant to be humorous is grating to the point of wanting to constantly b**ch slap him. Chris Rock is another who has built a film persona of constant chatter, but he is funny and is good with physical humor. Kevin Hart unfortunately does not have these talents.

DVD rental for $1 when you're sick and have nothing but time on your hands and stuck in bed. Not worth a penny more and not worth time on a sunny day, cloudy day, or rainy day.

Kevin Hart being his Kevin Hartiest

Author: SnoopyStyle
14 June 2016

Ben Barber (Kevin Hart) is a rookie cop and getting married to Angela Payton. Police detective James Payton (Ice Cube) is going to Miami to track down computer hacker AJ (Ken Jeong). Angela talks her brother into letting Ben join him. They find help from Miami police detective Maya Cruz (Olivia Munn). AJ is involved with villainous Antonio Pope (Benjamin Bratt).

After the original, I thought the sequel has a chance. I thought the guys' chemistry would make a good buddy cop comedy if they can turn friends. They're still not that friendly but I'm still going to say I'm wrong. Kevin is doing the same thing and it's getting tiresome. Maybe the repetition is getting to me. It's actually getting a little annoying. He may be losing me at this point. It's time he consider something different.

Along For The Ride But Not As Good As The First "Ride Along"

Author: zardoz-13 from United States
30 January 2016

Stand-up comic Kevin Hart still cracks me up. The 5-foot. 2-inch, bantamweight, motor-mouth, African-American comedian still reminds me of Chris Tucker standing in a hole two-feet deep. Hart's hyperactive verbosity, enormous impertinence, and infectious vitality make him riotous in movies. He could stand around, do nothing, and he would still be hilarious. He stole the show in the first "Ride Along" crime thriller comedy with Ice Cube, and he is still a scene-stealer in "Ride Along" director Tim Story's "Ride Along 2" with Ice still staring him down with his glacial glare. Unfortunately, the second "Ride Along" doesn't surpass the original. Hart has more than enough minutes to clown around in his usual routines, but "R.I.P.D" co-scribes Phil Hay and Matt Manfredi, who rewrote the original "Ride Along," don't provide as many surprises. Remember the two dirty cops that surprised Cube at the end of "Ride Along?" Nothing like that happens in this superficial sequel. Like the original, "Ride Along 2" dutifully recycles every cliché from those 1980s era police procedurals, but producer Will Packer has anted up more Shekels and shifted the predictable, follow-the-dots action to Miami, Florida. If you've seen cop movies like "Rush Hour," "Fuzz," "48 HRS," "Training Day," and "Paul Blart, Mall Cop," you know what to expect at every turn. "Ride Along 2" sticks to the formula with slavish zeal, but the camaraderie between Kevin Hart and Ice Cube as polar opposites overshadows the film's sophomoric shenanigans. Indeed, "Ride Along 2" resembles one of director Tim Story's favorite crime comedies "Midnight Run" where a bounty hunter sought to shield a mob accountant long enough to get him into witness protection. Story changes the accountant into a computer hacker for "Ride Along 2," and zany "Hangover" actor Ken Jeong plays the hacker with unusual restraint.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]