IMDb > Across the River (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Oltre il guado

Across the River More at IMDbPro »Oltre il guado (original title)

an atmospheric horror movie that isn't for the casual fan!

Author: SpannersGerm669 from Australia
28 September 2014

Across the River isn't for everybody. Its a very slow burning, atmospheric ghost tale that doesn't spell everything out for you.

An ecologist becomes lost after studying animals in the woodlands located at the border between Italy and Slovenia. He seeks refuge in what he believes to be an abandoned village, but he soon finds out that the village has a history, and he is in grave danger.

Atmospherically, this movie is fantastic. Its very slow burn allows it to slowly creep up on you, with the scenery and score, both beautiful and haunting.

My biggest problem with the film is that it seemed to be filling in time at some stages. There were periods where it felt like it wasn't going anywhere and clips of spooky housing and wilderness began to become a little repetitive. Fortunately though ,it never lost my interest.

So to sum it all up. If you are a casual horror film with no interest in attention to details, you will hate Across the River. There are no jump scares or excessive gore/kills. But if you appreciate horror that is deeply psychological, then Across the River is definitely worth a look.

Very happy to have it in my collection!

Subtle and surprisingly moody ghost story.

Author: HumanoidOfFlesh from Chyby, Poland
3 November 2014

The action of "Across the River" takes place in the deep dark woods on the border of Italy and Slovakia.Ethologist Marco Contrada(Marco Marchese)conducts his regular wildlife survey via trapping wild animals and putting cameras on them.He wants to research and analyze their nocturnal activity.But it seems that mysterious presence is butchering foxes and wild pigs in the woods.The answer lies in the cursed ruins of a deserted village where two ghostly female figures lurk."Across the River" has very little plot.The main character is constantly alone in the wilderness.The action is slow and the film lacks of dialogue and character development.Still there are several genuinely eerie and atmospheric moments and the location sets are fantastic.The decayed village is insanely creepy and the feeling of isolation is strikingly well-crafted.Also the soundtrack by Stefano Sciascia is wonderfully evocative and moody.Very unconventional horror movie,but not for everyone.8 forest streams out of 10.

Very Nice

Author: arfdawg-1 from United States
5 October 2014

The Plot.

The story revolves around an ethologist working in the remote woods, trapping animals and mounting cameras on them so that he can monitor their behavior remotely.

The resulting recordings lead him to a remote village, the site of an ancient curse, where he is trapped due to heavy rain fall raising the level of the river and flooding out the only access...

I saw this in Italian with no subtitles and I do not speak Italian. For the most part, there was no need in that there is little dialog. And the dialog that is there doesn't impede your understanding of the movie if you don't understand it.

I thought the movie was pretty decent, if a bit slow. It's atmospheric in nature and takes it's time.

I don't agree with the clown who gave this one star. He must not like intelligent movies.

The biggest pitfall of this film is that it really is too slow. That's too bad because it could have been great.

The guy, lone in this rinky dink "village" sure is brave. I'd have high tailed it out of there with the first sign of weirdness and that came before the rains!

As it stands, I'm giving it an 8 because I liked the concept as well as the execution. And it was a bit unique. It's hard to pull off a story with virtually one character and no dialog. I think they did it.

Points off because as I say earlier, it's a bit too slow.

Stylish foreign horror

Author: epiceffectss from Bristol
21 December 2014

Good horror film , it's Italian , very little dialogue as it mainly features one guy alone throughout the film . It's cheap but it's stylish and well filmed . Something that American and uk low budget horror films could use as a benchmark. The quality of the film is top notch as far as filming is concerned , looks very Erie and sinister , edgy. I won't spoil the story here as if your going to watch it just do it. The plot is thin as another reviewer pointed out but it's stylish and it keeps you there. Soundtrack is OK . It's not a must see film in my opinion but if you want to check a slow moving quality horror then it's a good watch. I'm going to say seven out of ten.

well, there have been plenty of summaries

Author: klausthomasrupp-85281 from Frankfurt, Germany
31 March 2015

It's kind of funny to see how many people are a bit confused because the movie does not have the usual arc of tension (can I say so?) and it has a different build-up than most other, even independent, movies. The 1-star-Michael-Bay-Fan from NJ perhaps fails to recognize talent or to distinguish talent from pumping money into a movie to compensate lack of talent. This movie is great IF you love suspense movies and real horror, not pseudo-horror caused by tons of gore. As a matter of fact, this movie does without ANY cheap effect. Being hooked by this movie (the blu-ray contains a very cool Irish short named "Foxes" as well) and the brilliant soundtrack I got myself the DVD for Custodes Bestiae, a 2004 self-produced movie by the same director. That one had a budget of about €30,000 and it's absolutely great. Go for it!

A terrific slow-burner ...

Author: Nigel P
18 January 2016

There have been many films that have featured buildings haunted by previous residents, but very few with the slow deliberation and intensity of 'Across the River'. The first time I watched this Italian film, I found myself losing interest and turning off some twenty minutes in. This second time, I was mesmerised throughout. Providing you are in the right mind-frame for a true 'slow burner', this is hugely effective – and, yes, very frightening.

When ecologist Marco Contrada (Marco Marchese) finds himself trapped in the ruined remains of a desolate village due to persistent flooding, he sees clothing floating across the river. At first, the clothing looks like offal. As his time trapped in the crumbling, decayed buildings becomes an endless succession of creaking doors, distant knocking and unearthly screeching from the densely wooded surroundings, Marco appears to become visibly older, clearly haunted by lack of sleep and the endless damp and leaking windows and roofs. The leaking, however, takes on an almost supernatural turn; it appears to be hunting him.

Yes, the pacing crawls. The scares are drip fed, but slowly become more intense, and ultimately, the flowing camera and squalid decomposition provide an immersive atmosphere – the camera lingers on every stained, ripped curtain, every mud-strewn pathway, every mildewed window-frame: you can almost taste the decay. The dialogue is scarce, and – much like a bigger budget – proves entirely unnecessary. This is haunting at its most effective.

Should have been better.

Author: Flow from Romania
29 November 2015

I do wonder this: are such productions the way they are because they tried a new approach, a different way of making a movie or is it simply cause of the budget?

Is it atmospheric? Yes. Is it dark? Yes. Is it confusing, intriguing and manages to keep your interest up all the way? Yes, yes, yes. Is it a horror? Well, now this is a so-so. Why? Because it takes far too long to show almost nothing, nothing new, as the direction supposedly goes. It is the mother of all clichés here, and if you watch it, you'll understand. A story as old as Night of the living Dead. So, if they want to show me something different, by all means, but if they're just going to go around the path and take longer to get to the same destination, then I'm not happy about it.

Across the river, I've seen better and plenty!

Cheers!

an "ok" low budget production, but with surprisingly good acting

Author: Gina Skinner from United Kingdom
10 October 2014

*** Contains spoilers *** First of all, viewers need to be reminded of the fact that this is a low budget production. The film relies largely on its spooky atmosphere, created by the abundant use of shadows (about 80% of the movie was filmed during the night hours or during twilight) and the ever popular eerie noise background.

There is a thin storyline, with no real beginning, and no real ending. The few characters in the film are unrelated to each other. The main focus is on a nameless ethologist (convincingly portrayed by Marco Marchese) researching the local wildlife in the densely wooded area around the Italian/Slovenian border. He's working alone, sleeping in a cabin and occasionally in his camper van. We, the viewers, know of his intentions because he very conveniently uses a Dictaphone, into which he speaks.

He ends up in this remote, dilapidated abandoned village. About half of the film, he spends in this village searching through the ruins. Continuous torrential rainfall, flooding the river banks, means he is trapped and cut off from the only access road.

So he stumbles around the village, mostly in the dark for whatever reason, his only light source first a small flashlight and, when that gives out, an old oil lamp that he finds.

The movie cuts to an old couple, Slovenians, who hear on the radio about the ethologist's disappearance in the area. The old man ends up telling his wife about the abandoned village, in which, it turns out, he had lived as a child. It is thanks to him, that us viewers know what's going on. He talks about these twin girls who, when he lived there, were being kept locked away because apparently they were very dangerous.

Cutting back to the poor ethologist, scared out of his wits, soon the presence of the ghost sisters becomes apparent for they start taunting him.

The film ends as one would expect. There are no real surprises. It's not a bad film, but not a fantastic film, either. It's somewhere in the middle.

It's best to watch this film in complete darkness for an added fright effect - for, if watched alone and in the dark, everything else (weak story, slow pace) aside, the eerie atmosphere of this film will be enough to occasionally make you jump.

Terrible ghost story

Author: george.schmidt (gpschmidt67@gmail.com) from fairview, nj
7 November 2013

ACROSS THE RIVER (2013) * Terrible ghost story horror from Italian director Lorenzo Bianchini about an isolated experimental researcher (Marco Marchese) who slowly realizes he is not totally alone in the rustic woodlands where the spectres of two long-dead sisters are haunting the locals. Like watching paint-dry isn't even worth a venture to guess what happens by its forever end. Incoherent from the get-go and the fact that there is practically no interaction with any other characters - except for an elderly man who too has been haunted by the sisters. The only reason the film gets a * is the fact the ghosts are spooky and the night-vision cinematography is perfect in capturing an otherworldly view.