IMDb > "Big School" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Big School" More at IMDbPro »

Big School will please those who can appreciate eccentric, true British comedy.

Author: Jan-Peter Scheffer from Netherlands
30 August 2013

The present, ridiculously low score prompted me to write a short review.

The setting, the story, the characters of Big School are both typically British and universal, and though each character is well defined by their role, each actor in the very talented cast is allowed to show their individual craft, sometimes genius, a freedom that, especially in the experienced hands of David Walliams, Catherine Tate and Philip Glenister, produces some high quality comedic characterizations of the archetypal figures that we encounter in the odd, but equally classic school setting that they populate.

I can't fault this production, having very much enjoyed the first two episodes, and I'm rather looking forward to seeing the rest of this well-thought-out, well-produced new BBC series.

Fantastic Comedy

Author: ellie_tully2
15 September 2013

Hilarious. Very clever, smart comedy! Has me literally laughing out loud every episode, the acting is superb. There is a continuous story line with every episode which is very engaging, the situations are hilarious and the jokes and comments are simply hilarious. Humor is subjective but I think this show is a total winner. I can't wait until its release on DVD! And I am really hoping for future seasons of this show. Tate is just amazing in this show, and all the actors are great. Love the characters they have come up with.....just hilarious! Good job to the creators and I really hope that there are going to be many more seasons.

I love it!

Author: edfilmsuk from United Kingdom
5 September 2013

So the BBC released a promo for this show, and two comedians who I like very much (Walliams and Tate) were featured in it. I thought, "I should watch it". I missed the first three episodes but caught up on iPlayer, and may I say I'm glad I did.

This show is underrated by other reviewers on IMDb, it really is a good 30 minutes of British TV. The characters are good and the episodes are entertaining and funny on most occasions. It's not THE BEST comedy show there is, but it really is on my top list for the moment. I recommend trying the series on iPlayer, it's worth it. Walliams and Tate work well together on screen, and despite having some sadly true moments, it has very laugh out loud comical moments.

More Please Sir!

Author: lynnylulu from United Kingdom
22 September 2013

Having read the "bad" reviews by people who'd seen the FIRST episode only - made me write this review out of disgust! I really enjoyed this series, it's well written, laugh out loud funny, even touching and the acting & characterisation is excellent. Well you can't please everyone when it comes to humour but I think they've done a very good job of this one. One of the best sitcoms I've seen for years. In the tradition of Porridge and Faulty Towers, yes, it's in the old school but I think there's a lot of us out there wanting to see something fresh but classic. I can't be the only person out there who's fed up with so called comedy where they're so scared of making an ism that there's no comedy left just "laughs" based on bodily fluids and rude words for body parts. I left THAT kind of humour behind when I left primary school. So well done BBC, please can we have more Sir?

More English allure

Author: Jon Death from United States
30 September 2013

I have known my share of Brits both online and IRL. It's funny to me how some of their shows are only a slightly exaggerated fiction of how the culture and a lot of the people are. IMO this is one of those shows. I like the dry, silly, subtle humor that is sometimes taken over the top. The characters are delightful. They're people I would want to work with and socialize in real life. The scenarios are believable even though it's fictional comedy.

I think the UK has a lot of comedy to offer. With most of what we're exposed to in America constantly trying so hard to be so in your face, the subtle, silly humor of the English which is often hilarious or consistently funny from one joke to the next is a great change of pace. The crowding and rush of America is always apparent in American television. I think the humble paced, sensibly spaced configuration of English living comes through in a lot of their film and television.

It's to say not all competitions are won by being at the front of the line but slow and steady really can win the race. Consider the success of The Office and Extras. Both are American versions of British shows, both are huge successes and both remained true to that slow, humble pace of British television. Our culture is far more developed by a few decades but their etiquette within their middle class is surely superior.

So why does my review omit any real information about the show? Because it could be about a crew of factory workers in a tuna canning plant. The style of humor, dialog and characters would still be the same. Silly, humble, consistently funny and slowly building to taking it all over the top. I very much prefer this in contrast to American humor typically trying to make every single joke or bit way over the top because it is the standard format.

I wish American art AND culture would veer slightly in the direction of the British.

Very funny, set to be a classic

Author: istara from Sydney
9 September 2013

Big School is a win for comedy fans. Drawing inspiration from The Office, Alan Partridge, and even older comedies such as Dear John (Philip Glenister's character channels Kirk St Moritz, especially in Episode 4), there are some incredibly funny scenes.

Better still, because it is character-based - much like The Office and others (Partridge, Frasier) that feature anti-hero cringe characters - it improves on repeat viewing. Familiarity with Big School's characters only makes them funnier.

For some reason Big School has attracted many lukewarm and even highly critical reviews. I recommend that new viewers give it a chance and watch at least a couple of episodes, preferably re-watching them, before dismissing it.

After all, would Frances De La Tour pick a turkey?

Funny?

Author: GrimsbyBE-227-447084 from Canada
31 January 2015

Being English and growing up with such gems as Monty Python, Peter Cooke and Dudley Moore, The Goodies etc. etc.,I just have one thing to say; Big School is just not funny! If this is the best they can do then British comedy is in BIG trouble. I started watching episode one and seriously thought about turning it off but decided I would sit through it, feeling sure it would get better; it didn't. However, I turned the TV on again for episode 2, optimistically thinking that it couldn't get any worse than the previous episode but again I was wrong. At least I had had one little chuckle during the first episode whereas in the second one I never even cracked my face. I am afraid it is now time to throw in the towel, I can't take anymore!

Fantastic British Comedy

Author: shedmcnee from France
29 September 2013

I love this show and so does everyone else I know. It's brilliantly written, the characters are superb. I'm not sure why some people find it so awful but then each to his own. There are loads of so-called comedies on the TV that I find downright terrible and yet others love them. So hey-ho. The teachers in this are brilliantly portrayed. I like all of them but my favourite is played by Phil Glenister. The way he holds his mouth and the way he walks inspire laughs straight away. Perhaps the bad reviewers are taking it all too seriously - maybe they think it is meant to be serious or something. But this is what it is. A very funny play on teachers - making them think and act like competitive children. That's the core of the comedy. I do hope they make another series because I know many people that would love to see it! I think episode five was my favourite.

Schools out

Author: Prismark10 from United Kingdom
20 July 2015

David Walliams created and starred in this traditional family sitcom set in Greybridge Secondary School in North London. It had an irritatingly catchy theme tune.

The school setting allows it to have an interplay between the various eccentric teachers and the pupils who found the teachers boring. Walliams played the socially awkward chemistry teacher Mr Church who has the hots for new French teacher Miss Postern (Catherine Tate) who is not very good at French, never been to France and thinks she is really beautiful and men fall over for her. In a sense that is true. Mr Gunn (Philip Glenister) is the macho PE teacher who also has the hots for Miss Postern and vies with Mr Church for her attention. He has a nice line in smutty humour.

Mr Barber (Steve Speirs) is the disorganised Geography teacher who is on the brink of a nervous breakdown. He returned in the second series demoted as the caretaker. Speirs stole the show with his hound dog face. Mr Hubble (James Greene) is the head of science who is too old and confused. Julie T Wallace is the lab assistant who is infatuated with Mr Church.

Frances De La Tour is the headmistress who is too drunk to care about the teachers and the pupils. Daniel Rigby is the music teacher who dreams of being a famous singer-songwriter.

The series was never very funny but it was amiable enough and something you can watch with all the family. I think Walliams put too much effort with his characters and needed to pepper the script with stronger and more off beat humour.

Brilliant British Comedy, well written and hilarious!

Author: Daniel Howell from United Kingdom
26 September 2014

Big School is a fantastic comedy show starring David Walliams, Catherine Tate, Philip Glenister, Francis de la Tour and Steve Speirs. Each episode is well written and each character stands out for me. Mr Gunn is particularly hilarious with some of the comments he makes, much to the disapproval of Mr Church, Mr Gunn reminds me of Jay from the inbetweeners a bit. And the Greybridge teaching staff wouldn't be a school without head teacher Ms Baron played by Francis de la Tour. Almost everything Ms Baron says is an instant gag plus with the Walliams and Glenister combination, Big School makes for a wonderful comedy show with gags every minute! Catherine Tate as Miss Postern makes the show for me, without her, there wouldn't be frantic quarrelling between Mr Church and Mr Gunn in almost every episode. There's heart-warming moments in the series as well as well crafted dialogue between the teaching staff, Series 1 episode 4 being my favourite episode so far!

It's a 10/10 for Big School, I would highly recommend it, although it can be crude at times so only to those 15 and up! Can't wait to see the last 2 episodes in Series 2 and hopefully Big School will return for a Series 3 next year!