Big School (TV Series 2013– ) Poster

(2013– )

20 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Fantastic Comedy
ellie_tully215 September 2013
Hilarious. Very clever, smart comedy! Has me literally laughing out loud every episode, the acting is superb. There is a continuous story line with every episode which is very engaging, the situations are hilarious and the jokes and comments are simply hilarious. Humor is subjective but I think this show is a total winner. I can't wait until its release on DVD! And I am really hoping for future seasons of this show. Tate is just amazing in this show, and all the actors are great. Love the characters they have come up with.....just hilarious! Good job to the creators and I really hope that there are going to be many more seasons.
16 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Big School will please those who can appreciate eccentric, true British comedy.
Jan-Peter Scheffer30 August 2013
The present, ridiculously low score prompted me to write a short review.

The setting, the story, the characters of Big School are both typically British and universal, and though each character is well defined by their role, each actor in the very talented cast is allowed to show their individual craft, sometimes genius, a freedom that, especially in the experienced hands of David Walliams, Catherine Tate and Philip Glenister, produces some high quality comedic characterizations of the archetypal figures that we encounter in the odd, but equally classic school setting that they populate.

I can't fault this production, having very much enjoyed the first two episodes, and I'm rather looking forward to seeing the rest of this well-thought-out, well-produced new BBC series.
28 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
More Please Sir!
lynnylulu22 September 2013
Having read the "bad" reviews by people who'd seen the FIRST episode only - made me write this review out of disgust! I really enjoyed this series, it's well written, laugh out loud funny, even touching and the acting & characterisation is excellent. Well you can't please everyone when it comes to humour but I think they've done a very good job of this one. One of the best sitcoms I've seen for years. In the tradition of Porridge and Faulty Towers, yes, it's in the old school but I think there's a lot of us out there wanting to see something fresh but classic. I can't be the only person out there who's fed up with so called comedy where they're so scared of making an ism that there's no comedy left just "laughs" based on bodily fluids and rude words for body parts. I left THAT kind of humour behind when I left primary school. So well done BBC, please can we have more Sir?
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I love it!
edfilmsuk5 September 2013
So the BBC released a promo for this show, and two comedians who I like very much (Walliams and Tate) were featured in it. I thought, "I should watch it". I missed the first three episodes but caught up on iPlayer, and may I say I'm glad I did.

This show is underrated by other reviewers on IMDb, it really is a good 30 minutes of British TV. The characters are good and the episodes are entertaining and funny on most occasions. It's not THE BEST comedy show there is, but it really is on my top list for the moment. I recommend trying the series on iPlayer, it's worth it. Walliams and Tate work well together on screen, and despite having some sadly true moments, it has very laugh out loud comical moments.
18 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very funny, set to be a classic
istara9 September 2013
Big School is a win for comedy fans. Drawing inspiration from The Office, Alan Partridge, and even older comedies such as Dear John (Philip Glenister's character channels Kirk St Moritz, especially in Episode 4), there are some incredibly funny scenes.

Better still, because it is character-based - much like The Office and others (Partridge, Frasier) that feature anti-hero cringe characters - it improves on repeat viewing. Familiarity with Big School's characters only makes them funnier.

For some reason Big School has attracted many lukewarm and even highly critical reviews. I recommend that new viewers give it a chance and watch at least a couple of episodes, preferably re-watching them, before dismissing it.

After all, would Frances De La Tour pick a turkey?
13 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Funny?
GrimsbyBE-227-44708431 January 2015
Being English and growing up with such gems as Monty Python, Peter Cooke and Dudley Moore, The Goodies etc. etc.,I just have one thing to say; Big School is just not funny! If this is the best they can do then British comedy is in BIG trouble. I started watching episode one and seriously thought about turning it off but decided I would sit through it, feeling sure it would get better; it didn't. However, I turned the TV on again for episode 2, optimistically thinking that it couldn't get any worse than the previous episode but again I was wrong. At least I had had one little chuckle during the first episode whereas in the second one I never even cracked my face. I am afraid it is now time to throw in the towel, I can't take anymore!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fantastic British Comedy
shedmcnee29 September 2013
I love this show and so does everyone else I know. It's brilliantly written, the characters are superb. I'm not sure why some people find it so awful but then each to his own. There are loads of so-called comedies on the TV that I find downright terrible and yet others love them. So hey-ho. The teachers in this are brilliantly portrayed. I like all of them but my favourite is played by Phil Glenister. The way he holds his mouth and the way he walks inspire laughs straight away. Perhaps the bad reviewers are taking it all too seriously - maybe they think it is meant to be serious or something. But this is what it is. A very funny play on teachers - making them think and act like competitive children. That's the core of the comedy. I do hope they make another series because I know many people that would love to see it! I think episode five was my favourite.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Big School
Jackson Booth-Millard20 September 2013
I read about this new comedy show in the TV guide, and obviously the cast appealed to me, but also I did not know many British sitcoms set in a school, so I was definitely up for giving it a go, and I'm glad I continued with it. Basically the show is set in Greybridge (secondary) School, and follows the amusing and eccentric activities and relationships between the teachers, and of course their methods of teaching and perhaps ineffective authority over the students. Characters include awkward and disciplined chemistry teacher Mr. Church (David Walliams, also writing), new beautiful French teacher Miss Postern (Catherine Tate) who has secret and unfulfilled feelings for, P.E./sports teacher Mr. Gunn (Philip Glenister) who constantly acts like a filthy and cocky pervert, no nonsense and unusual headmistress Ms M. Baron (Vicious's Frances De La Tour), eccentric and interfering drama teacher Mrs. Janine Klebb (Joanna Scanlan), wannabe songwriter and singing star music teacher Mr. Luke Martin (BT adverts star Daniel Rigby), often depressed and unorganised geography teacher Mr. Barber (Steve Speirs), elderly head of science Mr. Hubble (James Greene) who often has no clue what is going on, strange lab assistant Pat (Julie T. Wallace), and school secretary Daphne (3 Non-Blondes' Jocelyn Jee Esien). Also starring as the students are Joivan Wade as Manyou, Georgia Thompson as Beyonce, Carla Ryan as Tina and Matthew Fenton as Nicholas. I agree with some critics it may seem old-fashioned in some aspects, but you can follow the on-going things, like the arguments between Mr. Church and Mr. Gunn, Mr. Church pathetically trying to prove himself to and gain affection from Miss Postern, and the many unusual events and slapstick moments in the classrooms and hallways, it is a worthwhile and fun comedy series. Good!
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pathetic Effort D- These pupils will have to do better!
jamesa033017 August 2013
What a waste of talent and my time. I want that 30 minutes back! This cast MUST have known they had recorded a plonker ! Truly bad writing...date stereotypes; Drunk teachers, hyper masculine Phys Ed. Teacher, Homophobia gags, misogyny dressed up as humour. Truly unfunny lines - not even bad enough to be described as "inappropriate" humour, just simply silly and not in a "Carry On" way. Was the programme made with ONE camera? Seriously! Each take looked like it was recorded due to actors being unable to recall lines. A series of Edited lines within an inch of their lives does not make a scene! A starry cast wasted! Walliams is simply unfunny ! School report? D- for effort. Will have to do better !
16 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this