IMDb > "Fargo" (2014) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Brilliant. Just Brilliant

Author: ljs3799
16 April 2014

From the very start, from the opening shot of the cold dark icy road and the background music starting to play, I knew this would be something different, something awesome.

Coming from someone who hasn't watched the 1996 film by the Coen brothers, I really didn't know what to expect. I was in a way wondering if I was just wasting my time and watching a series that would fall short of everyone's expectations and just flop, like so many other TV series do nowadays. However, that didn't happen at all.

The performances were outstanding in my opinion. Martin Freeman was excellent and to my surprise did the accent fairly well. Billy Bob Thornton was amazing as Lorne Malvo, the enigmatic vibe you get from his performance gave me chills.

The cinematography is also one of the good things about this pilot. The shots are smart and intriguing, yet still simple and not too overdone. The music is also outstanding. There are times when it is quirky and funny, there are times where it is tragic and sad yet epic, and then there are also the times when it is intense and mysterious.

Fargo is mysterious, intense, funny (at times), tragic and just simply plain awesome! I really hope there are more to come like this.

Pitch black comedy with great characters and a decent amount of blood

Author: gogoschka-1 from wherever good films play
4 May 2014

You don't have to have seen the original Coen film to enjoy this series, nor does it spoil anything for you if you have seen it: the new TV-show 'Fargo' is entirely its own beast. So far, the only thing the series and the film do have in common is the title and the (fake) premise that both are - allegedly - based on true events that happened somewhere in Minnesota.

The writers (and the actors!) do a great job in creating new characters that are as strange and somewhat over the top as most of the iconic Coen creations we've come to love over the years - and Billy Bob Thornton's 'Lorne Malvo' (from season 01) has the potential to reach cult status. Watching bad situations get worse as bad decisions lead to even worse ones and the lives of ordinary people spiral violently out of control is - I shamefully admit - a lot of fun to watch, and it's told here with such a wicked sense of humor that I've so far enjoyed every minute of it.

The cast so far has been outstanding (this is an anthology series, so each new season will have its own cast and a new storyline) and the production values - especially the cinematography - are fantastic. Now whether 'Fargo' will appeal to a larger audience despite its quirky characters and non-mainstream look the way a show like 'Breaking Bad' did remains to be seen, but I would strongly recommend this to anyone who enjoys black comedies in general as well as pretty much anything the Coens ever did. Great, pitch black entertainment - 9 out of 10 from me.

Favorite Films: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls054200841/

Favorite Low-Budget and B-movies: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls054808375/

Lesser-known Masterpieces: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls070242495/

Favorite TV-Shows reviewed: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075552387/

Brilliant show! Must watch it!

Author: grace98 from United States
16 April 2014

I just finished watching the pilot for this show, and it was a "wow", a top notch level of excellence.

It might be too early to say it is a potential Emmy-winner or other awards winner show just by the first episode, but I would say it is on the "MUST SEE" list.

I've never watched the classic film "Fargo", so I didn't have any preperception of comparing the film to the show. It is just simply amazing with excellent direction, ACTING, and scene setup.

Billy Bob Thornton did a great job showing a baddie with such a power of manipulation. As usual, his performance is fantastic.

Martin Freeman's performance is just perfect, and he surprises me a lot by changes in his body shape, reactions, and the accent. It is just amazing that an English can do such unique northern American accent.

Performance from other actors are also compelling and excellent as well. It's comfortable and joy to watch their performance.

Definitely recommended!

Best new show on TV

Author: (qadirmagsi@hotmail.com) from Karachi, Pakistan
1 May 2014

Since Breaking Bad ended i have been craving for something as good, so let me share the good news with you guys. This show is it.

Three episodes have aired so far and I am mesmerized. The story, the photography, the surreal landscape, the comedy, the drama, the suspense, its all excellent.

Some of you may feel that I am going overboard with this, but I think this show may surpass even the movie on which it is based, and that is saying something.

The whole cast is doing an amazing job, specially Billy Bob, i mean it seems as if the guy was born to play the role of Lorne Malvo. The quiet menacing look he gives and the relaxed confident way in which he moves about town, slowly pulling all the strings, making everyone dance to his tune. His devil may care attitude, and that smile of his. He deserves an Emmy for sure.

Allison Tolman plays the slightly overweight (but not pregnant) cop and she nails it. Ditto for Martin Freeman as Nester and Colin Hanks as Gus. I have been a fan of Martin since i first saw him in Sherlock. He has that quintessence that has almost vanished from modern Hollywood. He can play the vulnerable every-man very well, but I am feel that his character will grow in this series into something more sinister.

Anyways, enough from me. Just watch this show and judge for yourself. 9/10.

Game of Thrones and Fargo, the best two shows on TV.

a show that no one should miss ! another perfect 10

Author: LUIS GONCALVES from Portugal.Lisbon
24 October 2015

Im here once again to state the difference between a show and a masterpiece .

Many times you ask yourself ,how can i spend my time watching something worthy ?! this is how! Great cast , great story, scenario , pacing, and that feeling about wanting more and more !

I watched the entire 1st season, now the 1st episode from the 2nd season , and i can say ,this is something especial .

I hope you can watch, and after you do that, please review this amazing show ,and be pleases to leave a 10 as i did. This way ,all of us can make a difference , the difference that puts something special at the top, not all of those crappy shows that gives you nothing but a truly time-wasting !

Hope to read you here very soon ;)

Regards

Hail 2014's Best TV Series. Yet. ♦ 90%

Author: Tejas Nair from the Entertainment Capital of India
16 April 2014

I loved the movie. And with the first episode, I fell for the series, too. As new episodes played, my heart skipped many beats and lo & behold, it ended without a bang. While, at least 5 episodes are a full 10/10 for me, the finale failed to spark.

Starting off with strict references to the 1996 film, it talks about a psychopath who is on a mission in another city, played charismatically by Billy Bob Thornton. I loved his air & nuanced performance. Then comes Martin Freeman, out of the neighborhood Sherlock sets, as that jittery underachiever who has a nagging wife. Things start to climb up when Freeman's character bumps into his high-school friend. Next, he meets Thornton's character & boom! What follows is an interwoven plot which refers the original film.

Crime has been brilliantly showcased in this series, including the finale and that is the main point. What follows next is as horrendous as the last minutes of the film. One after another, the thrills catch up with our heart's pumping pace as the characters grow out of their shells and reveal grave, suppressed expressions. It reflects human psychology brilliantly and in just the last 20 minutes. We feel sad, funny, pity, excited - for the images on- screen are brilliantly written. Music is very supportive.

Yes, this is better than the complex True Detective. It is hard-hitting, folks and what more could a dark crime plot ask for a setup than Minnesota. Noah Hawley writes with his brain open and succeeds in making a point or two. His tale is driven my 2014's best background score. If you doubt that, try searching Google for the "Mr. Numbers & Mr. Wrench" track and you will see how nuts is the web for the music.

BOTTOM LINE: I was skeptical after the first episode but now I am positive. It is 9/10 and the latest addition to the series with an anti- hero.

Can be watched with a typical Indian family? NO

Gore/Violence: Very Critical | Sex/Nudity: Strong

Phenomenal piece of cinema artwork....

Author: xenith968
20 April 2014

After watching more recent offspring of the new "One hour movie" esq shows ,ushered in by Breaking Bad, I was expecting a pretentious, exuberantly high budgeted, slow and pandering television show trying to feed off the Breaking Bad withdrawn audience. After watching the first episode of Fargo I was very surprised.

The first episode's last 20 minutes left me with anxious tingles down my spine. The mix between light hearted comedy and darkness provided by the interactions of the extras with Billy Bob Thornton and Martin Freeman. Without revealing anything about the plot I can safely say I will remember the interaction between Officer Grimly and Malvo for the rest of my life.

Also the cinematic quality of this series will be second to none as the placement of the camera in certain scenes truly adds to the comedic or dark value of the scenes.

Outstanding! Must watch.

Author: akhilshady2 from Hyderabad, India
15 December 2015

Six months ago I finished watching Breaking Bad and I really think that's the best thing I've ever watched and I always felt it is nonpareil in terms of excitement. From then on I couldn't forget it, I missed it. I started watching several shows later, but nothing came close to BB. I went on a search for such exciting crime dramas and then I saw few people on reddit talk about Narcos and Fargo (most of them) to experience something similar. At first, I googled them and decided to watch Narcos as Google knowledge graph mentions Fargo as a comedy series. So, yeah Narcos was enthralling, but didn't really feel 10/10 especially with too much Spanish. Then I decided to give a try on Fargo and boy oh boy! It's simply sensational.

Season 1: The first episode itself left me exuberant. This Martin Freeman guy, right from the day I saw him as Bilbao Baggins, everything he does impresses me and in Fargo there's nothing less. And the others were excellent too, especially Billy Bob Throtton, that man is really one hell of an actor. He is an assassin, every scene of him is jaw dropping with some chills. All in all, Season 1 of Fargo was really the one I was waiting for these whole 6 months and I didn't want to end this beautiful experience, so I immediately decided to watch Season 2.

Season 2: Everyone who watched season 1 will have some idea about how season 2 will go on. It opened off very well and the first episode here too ends dramatically. The next 2 episodes were slow-paced and I thought this might turn out like True Detective Season 2 as it couldn't really recreate the magic of the first season (just my opinion). So, right when I thought it's sinking, it just gets better and better from episode 4. There won't be a moment you could take your eyes off till the last minute of the season finale. I'm glad they renewed it for the next season and I really can't wait for that.

The music utilized over the two seasons is absolutely mind blowing, the way it relates to each and every scenario is just spectacular. Along with this awesome music, the outstanding piece of poetry depicts the ongoing lives of the people in Fargo. The direction part is really masterful and you can clearly see that in the second season. You gotta observe carefully to know why I mentioned this piece of art as "masterful". Even though it was quite extraordinary I wouldn't rate it higher than Breaking Bad as this one has little flaws and I didn't really like the ending of the second season(Although some people loved it) but if you're just looking for some real piece of art then Fargo is a must watch.

I've found a gem!

Author: asmo from Poland
12 October 2014

I'm not good with reviews but i decided to give it a try, i was boring, watching TV show after TV show, everything was average at most. Then I tried another one, Fargo and I was so tied with the story and great acting that I watched all 8 episodes during one night, recommending to everyone!

The only thing that bothered me - are these events really based on true story? because it got a little unreal at places so i googled a little and turns out that it's not really based on true events but hell, who care! maybe it's even better ;)

I really don't know much other TV shows (OK OK maybe i do, like Stargate, Breaking Bad, etc.) that make me addicted but Fargo - definitely can be added to my list of MUST_WATCH, solid 10/10 !

Exceeded my expectations

Author: messyshirt_1 from Australia
18 April 2014

The premiere episode of the 10 part mini series for Fargo is off to an overwhelming start. I was filled with joy to first discover the Coen Bros. masterpiece Fargo was set to be remade with characters and setting reminiscent of its predecessor. Conversely I was a little hesitant as Fargo was notorious for encapsulating a dark, sardonic environment bursting with near bravure acting, and this mini series may taint the well known image it has created.

But I immediately put those fears to rest when Fargo shed its light onto the screen. We are drawn to a similar snow filled landscape that is covered in a perpetual array of white desolation in the first scene, which draws inspiration from the environment created by the cinematography of the original Fargo.

What really was a show stopper for me was the acting and the witty dialogue that encompassed both a dark yet humorous tone. We are introduced to Martin Freeman who plays the role of Lester, a dim witted, quirky insurance salesmen who's peculiar movements jitter across the screen. The body language and accent strongly resemble Jerry Lundegaard. Billy Bob Thornton does a fantastic job as a dark remorseless figure capable of brutal violence at any moment, just his speeches are cringe worthy.

If Fargo continues the next episodes to come as pleasing as the first, we're in for a real treat.

Page 1 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]