IMDb > "Ravenswood" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Ravenswood" More at IMDbPro »

Give it a shot?

Author: itsprettyreckless from Rosewood, Pennsylvania
17 November 2013

Honestly, some of the people who write reviews for this show are just plain mean. They say "OMG I watched the pilot and it was so freaking horrible, I couldn't go on I had to stop!" blah blah blah blah! So freaking what? A lot of shows don't turn out so perfect at first. I didn't even like Pretty Little Liars when I first watched it but I gave it a shot anyway and now I'm probably one of the biggest fans of the show. Yeah, maybe it's not as good as it could have turned out, but it does get better. The acting might not be as good as Pretty Little Liars, but even they weren't as good as they are now! If you watched the Pilot of the show it was terrible, they had no chemistry and everything! But look at them now, they're just amazing. You have to give them some time to get used to each other. I love Ravenswood after watching the third episode because it really does get interesting. If you really don't like it, then maybe you're not into these type of shows. That's all I can say.

Ravenswood is my new addiction.

Author: lizaclear from Australia
1 November 2013

Five strangers are thrown together and are hit by a fatal curse that has plagued a town for generations. What more could you ask for to hook you into the brilliant series Ravenswood. (A PPL Spin off) The mysterious and disturbing history of the town has me wanting more and fuels a need for the teens to find a way to stop the curse and save themselves. Classic actress Meg Foster is eerily perfect in her role as the resident psychic as are the 5 fresh faced kids playing the lead roles. Having come in cold not being a PPL fan (although I have seen the first season) I am intrigued by this show. I can see where Pretty Little Liars fans would not like it so much as it is really nothing like that show, this is more paranormal/supernatural, after all the whole town is haunted. I just hope the Caleb & Hanna fans don't try to sink the spin off in order to have Caleb back in Rosewood. He is so much better off here with his brooding persona. Ultimately Ravenswood is a bone chilling tale with a fascinating blend of chills, thrills, drama and mystery but most importantly don't have to be a Pretty Little Liars fan to enjoy the series (in fact you're probably better off not being one) so enjoy this epic tale of pure escapism into the hauntingly eerie town of Ravenswood.

This should have not been a spin off of Pretty Little Liars

Author: Lady A from United States
24 October 2013

First of all this should've never been a spin off of Pretty Little Liars (PLL). It is ridiculous how they made up the whole town that we never heard about in the last 3 years and Allie supposedly lived there, it had A's hiding place and some woman who's psychic. Not only that but PLL is realistic, yes far-fetched realistic but not supernatural. I don't know how they could do a spin off and make it supernatural. The worst part was how they wrote the whole scene with Hanna telling Caleb to stay with some girl they just met to protect her while she is still dealing with A. Then Caleb was like okay. Really?! He's just going to stop caring about protecting Hanna and just start protecting some girl he just met. Talk about bad writing. Maybe if they didn't have this as a spin off I wouldn't be so hard on the show. But they pumped up all the PLL's fans to get all hyped up about the show and then disappoint them.

Rating the show without comparing it to PLL. I would have to say that it has a horrible plot-line. It's about a ghost trying to off 5 teens because a person came back from war that was a sole survived of a attack. Apparently the ghost has killed these teens twice before which doesn't make any sense. Obviously the ghost has to do with the flood in the past that nearly wiped out the whole town. The ghost looks like every lame ghost girl in those chain letters that you get in an email or on Facebook. Another thing I don't get is all the adults seem to know what's going on but yet none of them will tell the teens anything.

I love Caleb's character on PLL. However in this show I have noticed some characteristic change on him. I am not liking that. There's also something off about the acting. There doesn't seem to be much chemistry between the actors. The show does not make sense and shouldn't of been connected with PLL. I don't see this show making it especially if they're banking on the PLL's fans to like it. The fans just don't see the connection and are too invested into PLL. Plus if Caleb ever breaks up with Hannah and gets with anybody else it would cause an up roar.

Canceled?!

Author: hannah-strong9500 from Sydney, Australia
23 March 2014

Why does this show have have too be canceled? I understand some people don't like it but I LOVE it. This show is so interesting and confusing at the same time. Everybody could tell it was by I. Marlene King from all the twists and the mysteries. I know she has Pretty Little Liars too and this was just a spin-off show from that but Ravenswood is it's own show now. It is amazing and I couldn't believe it when I found out it was canceled. The season finale for the first season of Ravenswood was so great and it made you want to watch so much more, you started off with more questions than you originally had from the first episode - Pilot - but in the back of my mind I knew it had been cancelled. If there was absolutely any way for this show too be "UN-Cancelled" than I vote they start thinking up those ideas right NOW because there is some very angry fans of this show who will do whatever they can too get this up and running again. Email I. Marlene King and demand her to continue because this show is too amazing to stop on that note.

A very limiting and distant series.

Author: PaulVilla from Canada
9 January 2014

Watching 'Ravenswood' is like stumbling upon a series nearing its end. The characters and focus are so narrow, you get the feeling you missed important stuff that led us to this point.

So how sad that 'Ravenswood' is only halfway into its first season, and it's taking liberties & shortcuts only long-established shows should be allowed to take.

From the start, 'Ravenswood' makes the assumption that you know & love its characters. Good shows ease into heavy plot, allowing viewers to experience the characters as normal people with real lives/relationships/quirks. Not so with 'Ravenswood'...the show quickly gathers its cast & dumps them into a supernatural mystery.

To make things worse, 'Ravenswood' then makes the assumption that its supernatural mystery payoff is so good...viewers will endure one unexplained supernatural event after another. And that's basically what the show amounts to ("BOO!", 5 minutes later "BOO!", 8 minutes later "BOO!"...tune in next week when..."BOO!"). You are given very little to contextualize what is going on & why, so the show leaves you bored and exhausted.

This was not the original promise of 'Ravenswood'. When the series was first teased on 'Pretty Little Liars'...Ravenswood was presented as a peculiar community inhabited by almost-Amish residents. They seemed to have a unique culture & were fearful of outsiders. You got the sense that whatever their secret was...they were all in-on-it in some way or another. As a viewer, you wanted "in" as well.

But then the series began, and Ravenswood was basically presented like any other podunk town - with mostly boring people, and a couple of creepy weirdos.

I wanted this show to succeed. But as it is executed, I believe it should be quietly brought to an end.

Good, but better of separated from PLL

Author: wildkatzze from United States
18 November 2013

I just started watching the show. The first 2 episodes where a little short on the plot line, but the third and fourth where great. I personally don't like the way the connection between Pretty Little Liars and Ravenswood was made. It would probably have been a better start for the show if the first episode would actually show how Caleb got to Ravenswood, not making this part be in a special episode on Pretty Little Liars. After all I can just say that this might turn out to be a great show ... even if it is nothing like Pretty Little Liars and it would probably just have been better to keep the shows separatet and not so much connected. Lets wait and see what comes next .. what may the writers have in store for us?

Vastly Improved

Author: el7 from United States
10 November 2013

Ravenswood follows Pretty Little Liars regular Caleb Rivers (Tyler Blackburn) from Rosewood PA to the nearby town of Ravenswood. Caleb arrives in town and instantly bonds with Miranda (Nicole Gale Anderson) a foster kid who has just discovered the town funeral director is her long lost uncle. The fast friends part makes more sense if you saw the back door pilot on Pretty Little Liars, in which Caleb and Miranda had a fairly long conversation about their respective pasts and Miranda further endeared herself to him by saving his girlfriend Hannah. The standard pilot, admittedly, has a certain campy far-fetched ambiance to it, with some lines of dialog that demand to be riffed upon. That kind of thing is like my catnip though, so I kept watching. I'm glad I didn't give up because episode three, Believe, is actually very good and bodes well for the future quality of this show. The curse that drives the plot is now developing recognizable parameters, the characters have developed distinct personalities with individual motivations, and the actors are developing a rapport that seems to be having a cascade effect on the quality of the dialog. I'm in for however many more episodes of this they make.

Worst spin-off ever!

Author: elmira-sur1996
12 February 2014

Well, I only can say and this is only my opinion that this show is just Horrible! I mean come on people! They ruined a hot couple for THIS? Caleb was better left in PLL and the story of Revenswood is also not comparable to PLL. The guy finds out he is a doppelganger and this other is her lost love? That's absurd and we already got TVD's crappy show for that!the idea of the show is so not creative and it has been repeated in several TV shows. If only there was someone to tell them to stop! worse than the story is the choice of actors! as in PLL and Ravenswood the cast are all perfect teenagers with perfect hair and eyes and everything and acting has nothing to do with the decision! P.S Sorry for the tone, it just frustrates me to see good shows like 666 Park Avenue or Flash forward get canceled and these craps go on!

One Of The Worst Shows I've Ever Seen

Author: bbb515 from United States
7 February 2014

This PLL spin-off is so bad, it's hard to know where to begin. I am a huge fan of supernatural dramas, but this show doesn't make any sense. First of all, I have seen every episode of PLL and always thought of it as a mystery/drama and have not thought about the series from a supernatural angle whatsoever. How can you make a spin-off centered around ghosts and evil spirits when these types of elements do not (or aren't supposed to) exist in the original show? Am I now led to believe that there are supernatural elements in PLL? These are not questions fans should have to ask themselves during the 4th season of a series.

The way Ravenswood became a spin-off doesn't make sense either. Hanna (who is being stalked and harassed by "A" on a fairly consistent basis) sends her boyfriend (who has been focused on protecting her) off to a creepy town to "look after" Miranda (a girl neither one of them knows). The main plot of the show thus far is that these 5 teens have been marked for death, and are trying to figure a way out of it. I have an interest in Caleb staying alive, because I care about his character. There is no reason why I should/would care about any of the other people in Ravenswood. There is absolutely no character development, just side plots that make the show seem messy and confusing. The fact that almost all of the actors are horrible is icing on the cake. Is it really that hard to drop their Canadian accents?

The only reason I have kept watching Ravenswood is because I didn't want to be lost when it came to crossover episodes. Unfortunately, I'm still lost. I hope the show gets canceled and that Tyler Blackburn (Caleb) will go back to playing a regular on PLL. Although, I'm not sure how that can happen now that he has developed a sixth sense and ghosts are not supposed to exist in PLL universe. Ravenswood is a disaster!

Awfully bad

Author: Gaby Nassar (finaldestination-g)
30 January 2014

Despite all the talented actors on this series it fails miserably in many points.

Just by making this series supernatural it ruined it especially because it is supposedly a spin off of PLL.

First episode was kind of interesting and promising but once they decided to keep the Miranda character as a ghost in this show, it started to role deep down in the scale of quality.

Caleb's character was hurt the most, Miranda's character is cheesy while the rest got no significant presence in this series till now excluding the fact that they make the marked five "cheesy much"

Hanna's appearance as a guest, in hope to save ratings, won't only hurt the character itself but PLL as well! So now what!!? "A" is a ghost! it just frightens you that the end of the awesome PLL might be summarized to one supernatural character.

originality is lacking severely and it sounds like if they tried to mix many known supernatural shows into one but that only makes Ravenswood dead boring and repetitive.

So in one sentence to summarize, this show must and should be canceled.