IMDb > The 86th Annual Academy Awards (2014) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Oscars

The 86th Annual Academy Awards (TV) More at IMDbPro »The Oscars (original title)

My Awards For The 86th Annual Academy Awards !

Author: ahmed elshikh (ahmed_abd_elreheem@yahoo.com) from Egypt
4 March 2014

_The Most Painful : Indisputably, Sandra Bullock's looks. Why the queen of natural beauty on screen, turns into another Botox freak in real life ??!! It's aching that she looked, all the time, exactly like Morgan Fairchild in (Holy Man – 1998). Yes, when Eddie Murphy was electrifying her !

_The Most Red : Emma Watson. Sure she cast the wrong spell while doing her make-up !

_The Most Funny : Although I'm not a fan of her, but Ellen DeGeneres proved, as an Oscar night host, that she's better than Hugh Jackman, Steve Martin, James Franco, Anne Hathaway, and that Family Guy guy !

_The Most Smart : The idea of "The most re-tweeted image". It's not only a smart idea, but also a unique and happy moment.

_The Best Line : Jared Leto's to his mom "Thank you for teaching me to dream".

_The Worst Line : Kevin Spacey's to us "Steve Martin's comedy keeps us laughing AND THINKING" ??? Well, that part keeps me thinking of laughing !

_The Most Strange : Steve Martin's honorary Oscar in the first place !!!

_The Most Shameful : That 2017 film museum. If my eyes don't trick me; it's clearly penis-shaped !

_The Most Flawed : We have a tie. Firstly, Pink's performance of "Over the Rainbow". Despite her effort, her short breathe disappointed parts of the song. And secondly, Idina Menzel's performance of "Let It Go"; where at one point her singing lost sync with the music.

_The Most Divided : Showing the photos of the "In Memoriam" segment on some piece of music, THEN hearing Bette Midler singing "Wind Beneath My Wings". Why not gathering the 2 matters together ?!

_The Most Horrible : Cate Blanchett's Dress. For the second time, after the Oscar night of 2011, she wins in this category. That thing she wore was more like a colorless long floor rag that recently wiped the splinters of a broken cheap chandelier !

_The Most Wise : Matthew McConaughey's speech of "I'll never be my hero". This is poetry. Sweet and deep poetry.

_The Most Nasty : Director Steve McQueen's kissing mania after winning the best picture award. I was screaming : "Dude, stop kissing all the men on the lips !"

_The Most Gawky : Jennifer Lawrence for bringing up the issue of some ones laughing on her, or else, backstage !! Baby, don't care and let the show go on, otherwise you're gawky. And sorrowfully you confirmed it !

_The Most Wicked : Director Alfonso Cuarón's mistake when he said "The wise guys in Warner Bros.", then corrected it to "The wise people in Warner Bros.". I bet, Mr. Cuarón's mistake there, was intentional more than unintentional !

_The Most Magical : The real hard work behind every single detail runs on that stately stage. I have to salute that army of unknown soldiers whom perfectly collaborate to make this night as perfect as it can be.

Eventually, the Oscar night is still cool show to watch. And in this case; we are the winners.

This 214-minute marathon . . .

Author: Tad Pole from Vault Heaven
3 March 2014

. . . actually was sort of a sprint, as far as Academy Awards presentations go. A kinder and gentler show than the one hosted in 2013 by Seth MacFarlane, this year's emcee--Ellen Degeneres--did NOT sing a companion piece (that is, "We saw your d - - - s") to MacFarlane's infamous t - - - - ditty from a year ago (since she A)is a classier host, B)has less interest in male anatomy than Seth has in female bods, C)would not have much to work with beyond Jonah Hill, Jason Segel, Mark Wahlberg, and Willem Dafoe, or D)all of the above). On the other hand, I did not quite understand why Ellen seemed to be picking on Liza Minnelli. Anyway, if we have any luck, they will disqualify the crummiest TWO songs next year, as this year's DQ shortened the program by five minutes or so, and performing the "Best Song" nominees is one of this awards shin-digs obligatory "Hamburger Helper"-type extenders. Though I would have included best animated feature Oscar-winner FROZEN, as well as SAVING MR. BANKS, among best picture nominees (even though I hate the Disney conglomerate as much as anyone, now that Ms. Travers has passed on), this is my ranking of the nine pictures actually nominated: DALLAS BUYERS CLUB, 12 YEARS A SLAVE, PHILOMENA, NEBRASKA, AMER!CAN HUSTLE, GRAVITY, THE WOLF OF WALL STREET, HER, & CAPTAIN PHILLIPS. However, since I ranked 2013 "best flick" ARGO down in 6th place among last year's nine nominees, I will not quibble with this year's results. Way to go, Academy!

Ellen is just the funniest female comedian alive!

Author: Mehdi Javani from Iran
3 March 2014

So, the year's most important movie event, The Oscars, is over and here are some points I'd like to mention:

*12 Years a Slave did deserve to win the best picture compared the last years' pieces of junk such as Argo, The King's Speech, The Hurt Locker, and even The Artist. *Leonardo DiCaprio was this close to win an Oscar by his wonderful performance in The Wolf of Wall Street, but Matthew McConaughey was simply as good in Dallas Buyers Club and as usual comedy is not a match for drama! *Cate Blanchett illustrated the best piece of performance and was way better than her fellow nominees and I mean even better than the great Meryl Streep and lovely Sandra Bullock which is certainly why she stood up there. *It is a relief to see American Hustle not win any major awards as it didn't even deserve to be nominated. *Jim Carrey lightens up every room he's in and the guy is just the eternal sunshine of the comedy world! *Ellen DeGeneres was extraordinary as the host with all the pizza distribution, Twitter thing, and of course passing the hat stuff that I'm sure most of them came from her own creative mind. She's, by no doubt, the funniest female comedian on the face of the planet. *And Brad Pitt finally got to win an Oscar; well, as a producer of course!

Minimum amount of wrap-it-up music!

Author: Rogue-32 from L A.
3 March 2014

For a change, the show last night used the minimum amount of get-off-the-stage music, allowing most of the winners to make decent acceptance speeches. I've been writing for years about this issue, how the play-music-over-the-winners'-speeches ruins the proceedings for me because the whole purpose of award shows is to honor the winners, let them bask in their moment of glory, and apparently others have been vocal about this issue as well. There were still constraints, off-screen cues of how much time was left, and most everyone heeded them so the music wasn't necessary in most cases. Thumbs up.

The show itself was very good. Ellen DeGeneres was a fine host, funny without being mean-spirited or corny, just sharp enough in her comments throughout. Loved the pizza thing, that really humanized the affair in a clever way. This was a classy show for the most part, and I didn't nod off once. Kudos across the board - for a change.

A pizza and hero themed Oscars? An Oz tribute still the rightful winners won!

Author: Danny Blankenship from Petersburg, Virginia
15 March 2014

Ellen was back once again as host of the Oscars and she was pretty funny for the 86th edition of the annual academy awards. The show was all right with it's music and the theme of hero at the movies was just fine with a "Wizard of Oz" tribute clip as "Over the Rainbow" was sung. Of course the show was once again to long with many awards being handed out still most of the top prizes went as expected and they were well deserved. As Cate Blanchett winning best actress as a tormented female soul in Woody Allen's drama "Blue Jasmine" was rightfully deserved. And in my opinion the strongest tag team performance of the year occurred in "Dallas Buyers Club" as the raw and tough emotional gritty performance from two rebels rightfully won Jared Leto a best supporting actor Oscar and Matthew McConaughey the best actor award and the speeches both gave were powerful and emotional a real stand speech effort. And the pizza pass out and cell star snap picture was okay for the show still probably the best movie of the year "12 Years a Slave" rightfully won best picture. Not the best Oscar awards show of recent years still a pretty good one.

Very funny intro from Ellen but mostly average show from there despite mostly worthy winners

Author: bob the moo from Birmingham, UK
4 March 2014

One of the downsides of living 5 hours ahead of EST is that some bigger US events cannot be watched live; of course the upside to that is that if you record them and watch them the next day, you can probably save yourself at least half the running time by fast-forwarding the commercials or other "filler" material. I mention this because I was very surprised by how quickly this Oscars flew by when I was doing it through adverts, bits that weren't working and so on. It started well enough. Although Ellen's opening bit lacked the showmanship or spark of some other years (noticeably there was no musical or montage element) it was still very funny and her lines mostly got the right balanced of mocking but without offending.

From there though, it didn't have too much to recommend. Montages came and went for little reason or benefit – in particular with some odd choices for clips, with the animation sequence particularly heavy in modern films and for some reason lots of Kung-Fu Panda. The Best Song performances were pretty decent but not so great. The frequent return of Ellen was a mixed bag; some of her asides were really good but the selfy joke worn thin and the Pizza delivery guy bit didn't seem to have legs or a punchline once the original novelty of seeing stars with pizza wore off. Of course the show is about the awards and for this year, although it was mostly predictable, the majority were at least worthy winners with generally a good split for performances, with technical awards going to Gravity on the whole. The acceptance speeches were mostly safe, but there were some howlers and of course generally it is a bit cringe- inducing to watch the very rich and famous award one of their own, which mostly is what was happening.

Although they are a bit hard to watch, at least the speeches generally strike you as real, which is more than can be said for the presenters of awards. It always surprises me that people who act for a living and can deliver all sorts of characters cannot come out and talk about an award or a person without coming over like they are reading off cue-cards with no more than one or two word per card. There are some exceptions of course but generally these segments are clunky and odd, with most of the scripted bits not working particularly well. Harrison Ford sticks in the mind as he talked through the first three best picture nominees like he had just been woken up seconds before he did it, while Matthew McConaughey and Kim Novak's bit was awkward for so many reasons. These ones stuck in my mind but generally the show had the usual stiff scripted intros that nobody enjoys doing or watching.

It was a very safe show it must be said; solid winners without too much controversy, a presenter who got it right from the start in terms of gently ribbing but not offending and all the usual flaws and weakness of this big bloated show. I must remember next year to just watch the monologue and look up the winners – fast-forwarding can cut out a lot of the fat, but when the rest is just the same old same old then it probably isn't even worth that much time.

Academy finally invalidates its GONE WITH THE WIND pick . . .

Author: Hot 888 Mama from Jacksonville, FL
4 March 2014

. . . for the "Best Movie" Oscar trophy of 1939 with this year's choice of 12 YEARS A SLAVE. Moreover, all this malarkey about ONLY the Price Waterhouse accounting firm actually knowing the voting outcome PRIOR to the Awards show finally can be put to rest, as no one can promulgate this concept in the future with a straight face after the arrangement of the 2014 program. Host Ellen Degeneres said from the "Git-Go" that "either 12 YEARS A SLAVE wins, or you're all racists!" No way the Academy would have allowed her to smear them with egg on their face with THAT remark UNLESS the executives in charge KNEW 12 YEARS was the preordained winner. Further, they separated the "Best Director" category into a non-customary slot WAY earlier in the show, knowing that if the GRAVITY director--Alfonso Cuaron--had been announced as the victor at the customary time (right before the grand prize), it would have rattled all the supporters of 12 YEARS. Finally, there was no way in Heck they were going to have Will Smith stand up there and hand the "Best Picture" prize to GRAVITY. (THAT would have been akin to the Academy asking Bill "Bojangles" Robinson to give GONE WITH THE WIND the top trophy in 1939!) Speaking of 1939, 12 YEARS A SLAVE takes an opposite view (as in, Truth vs. Lies) of Southern slavery in EVERY way from GONE WITH THE WIND. If GWTW had told anything close to the TRUTH about slavery, it would not have gotten ANY Oscar nominations (and would have sold very few tickets), as the vast majority of the American population was still under the sway of thousands of mendacious "history books" trying to turn the War to Free the Slaves into something with two legitimate viewpoints. Can you imagine a scene in which Best Supporting Actress Winner Hattie McDaniel as the character "Mammy" is stripped naked and practically whipped to death by Pops O'Hara? This more or less happens to 2013 Best Supporting Actress winner Lupita Nyong'o as the character "Patsey" in 12 YEARS. Any person with a sense of justice knows that THE WIZARD OF OZ was the "Best Picture" of 1939, a fact the Academy tacitly acknowledged by having songster Pink sing a new arrangement of star Judy Garland's signature song from that far superior film--"Somewhere Over the Rainbow"--while showing a montage of all the OZ highlights. Degeneres talked to all of Garland's children in the Oscar audience to further celebrate the 75th anniversary of OZ. On the other hand, GWTW--the "highwater mark" of Apartheid America--also enduring a 75th anniversary--was singled out in the only way possible in a modern America: through the complete omission of not having a peep said about it. Horatio's words on Hamlet's fate apply equally to GWTW's "place" in cinema history: "The rest is silence."

Oscaritis 2015 aka Nose-bleed!

Author: roni bohi from United States
26 February 2015

Evidently a suicidal jury would much rather shoot itself in the nose clutching a gun in one hand while reaching out for golden statuesque manhood with the other to an Antonio Sanchez drum roll and/or speculate about the universe out of a wheelchair rather than go out there to find another planet capable of sustaining human life. That's survival instinct for you within ''the line of sight''! Long years ago the jury was criticized for making the mortal error of looking above its navel to award 'Gandhi'. It took some years to correct that mistake by eventually decorating an anal-ytical vision of Indian slummery. This is surely a matter of some gravity, which for the Oscar jury must be a dead weight around its loins rather than a gigantic heartfelt force of liberating attraction which Hollywood apparently sets out to annually celebrate even though the jury it appoints continues to believe this is merely special effects! Or side effects, if you prefer!''What's love got to do with it'', yeah! And then there is the distinct possibility that seized with Noah- like trepidation of forthcoming floods due to global warming, Mexico may be emerging in jury-dick-tional mind as the preferred haven for the Oscark a la "The Day after Tomorrow". But I wouldn't credit the sag-acious old men & women of this jury such foresight given their penchant for being wiser by hind-ahem-sight preferably in white tights butting into theater space & turning it into a retirement home for suicidal manic-depressive Oscarcastaways, while themselves setting sail in the Oscark with lusty lustrous garmented types, preferably more revealing than space suits & capable of more than one measly kiss per 180 minutes. (What? No bathtub, no naked Archimedes @ Eureka! Now, that's not traditional @ the Oscars). Land ahoy, lower the anchor! {p.s. The alt title of this mail is : ''Is Oscar, if not Hollywood, waging fund war with NASA, if not NORAD?''}

A Show I Can Do Without – Annually

Author: PartialMovieViewer from United States
13 May 2014

Why interrupt good programing with this twaddle? When I was a kid I watched, 'The Oscars' all the time – it wasn't because they were necessarily fun, the stupid channel-selection sucked. Now-a-days, I take advantage of my available options and record shows like this for later viewing. Which reminds me - my first award goes to the 'Fast-Forward-Button,' come on down Mr. Button. I would like to say, 'Thank you so much for being the best crap-cutter out there.' Honestly, I can't stomach all that 'Academy-Award-Winning' self-aggrandizing and endless bloviating. Although I did notice at the beginning of the program that Ellen was handing out pizzas – how poignant - now that is so special – good for her. Kind of an empty gesture, though – I am sure all that food could have fed some pretty hungry folks - hubris aside - it did have a detached flavor of humor to it. I was very shocked Matthew McConaughey survived the night. Talk about getting dumped on. He should know better. Matthew is not allowed to have a spine nor is he permitted to think for himself. Unlike Sally 'I've Got Such a Potty Mouth' Field and her rehearsed, phony slip-of-the-tongue cussing episode. I think that occurred a few 'Oscars' back, Matthew actually gave a very brave speech. He may have lost a few acting jobs, but anything he does in the future, I will go out of my way to watch. Ah well, I wish I had more positive things to say about the A.A.s - but I don't. Not to worry though, there are plenty of negatives. It is always way too long; there are way too many awards, too predictable, too many gross pats on the back, and I guess I am just not interested. My grade for the program is a 'MEH ++.' If I actually sat through a live version, the two '+s' would be gone. Spoiler Alert - If there are no 'Oscars' next year, I won't miss them.

** Stop the Political Posturing

Author: edwagreen from United States
3 March 2014

I couldn't stand watching Ellen De Generes as the hostess of this show. For one thing, her handing out of pizzas to the people up front seemed to cheapen the show. Long gone is the finesse of earlier Oscar shows.

Jared Leto, who was excellent and deserved to win his supporting actor award for "Dallas Buyer's Club," could have omitted the part of his mother circa 1971 in his acceptance speech. There are certain things in life that you keep to yourself and what he said about her over 40 years ago wasn't appropriate. We have seen many people come together despite adverse conditions in their life; he is not the first nor shall he be the last.

In the In Memoriam segment, the names of actor Jay Robinson and actress Audrey Totter were omitted among those who had died during the previous year.

Matthew McConaughey's acceptance speech just reinforces his bedrock Republican affiliation.