IMDb > "Community" Intro to Felt Surrogacy (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Community" Intro to Felt Surrogacy (2013)

« Prev | 80 of 110 Episodes | Next »

Really?!

Author: Charlie Chaplin2
16 April 2013

What on earth has happened to Community? Have they so completely forgotten who they were as a show? Are they so empty of ideas that they now have to rely purely on gimmicks and barely-thought plots?

While I've always loved Community's lean towards the surreal, it was not part of the norm. We'd get season finales with paintball wars and fun Halloween specials with zombies and that was it. It was those episodes which were remembered because they shone out - they took well loved, believable, awesome characters and put them into great, movie- referencing situations. Now that EVERY episode is like that (and not nearly as clever as before), it's all become boring. To be honest, it feels like all of these 'specials' are just fillers because they've got so little plot or comedy to sustain the season. I haven't laughed once since this season began. Jim Rash used to be funny, now he's just annoying, and this is JIM RASH! Look what they've done to him! They've lost touch with what made Community great.

Perhaps it's not their fault, I feel as if Community has run its course. All the characters have grown immensely and there's very little left for them to do, so they're stuck blurting out clichés: Jeff has to mention he's awesome and is there a SINGLE line where Shirley doesn't mention Jesus? Really?

The study group is not stuck in a rut, the show is. Why couldn't they just bite the bullet and end with season 4? They could have started wrapping things up, we wouldn't end up with a whole season coming out without Pierce (who has been woefully underused) and they could have tried to finish with some dignity.

The worst part is, I'll still watch it, because I remember what the show used to be, because I am now emotionally invested in these characters. But I am counting down the days until it ends. Urgh, what a pity.

Community Intro to Felt Surrogacy

Author: dalydj-918-255175 from Ireland
12 April 2013

Community has been quite mixed this season and while for most of the season so far I have been negative but last week's episode I found myself liking a lot and for the second straight week in a four I liked an episode of the show. The puppet piece was a great thing for the show and they were used so great especially when the show handled musical numbers once again and it's always great to hear the cast members of the show actually having good singing voices. The episode was comedic and I must say Sara Bareilles was a random person to be interacting with the puppets since she is one of those singers who I recognize for some strange reason. The writing was strong and all the characters were used well especially with Kevin not being used except for one line as I really have a problem with that character. The episode was all about puppet fun especially when they went on their adventure.

EPISODE GRADE: B (MVP: Yvette Nicole Brown)