"True Detective: The Secret Fate of All Life (#1.5)"

"True Detective" The Secret Fate of All Life (2014)

« Prev | 5 of 9 Episodes | Next »

Great acting, great story, great show!!!

Author: Orchidrose Morrow from Agoura Hills, CA
15 February 2014

I love this show. I totally agree with some of the reviewers that say this is a good as The Wire.

Great script, great directing and great acting are all it takes to make a great, solid show. And this show is it.

I'm glad HBO puts out great quality shows like this one. You couldn't ask for more.

Thanks for giving me something to look forward to on Sunday nights. I normally don't watch television because reality shows don't do it for me, but this show has all three elements I look for - great acting, great script and great directing makes for a great quality show. THANKS!

Seeds of Doubt Are Planted

Author: deltaop from Rawalpindi, Pakistan
17 February 2014

If you thought True Detective couldn't maintain the tense atmosphere so cleanly engineered in the last episode - you were wrong. TD has followed one pinnacle with another and this episode is all what the previous episode was, plus more.

That said, I can go on and on about what is good about this episode and this series as a whole. The writing is impeccable, the acting spotless, the music perfect and the cinematography pristine. The combination of these provide for an excellent hour of television in which you are transported through the screen and into the drama.

Like the previous episode, you can cut the tension with a knife here. Especially, in the initial and final portions. Additionally, there have been some excellent juxtapositions in this episode. I really liked the shooting-board one - where Rust and Marty present there version of the events, intercut with footage of what really happened.

Again, a lot of new territory is covered. There have been subtle 'Rust: The Killer' references throughout this series, and this episode brushes away the dust and follows up on this storyline. Suddenly, all that has been done up till this episode has come to naught. True Detective starts again, delving deeper into dark, unchartered waters.

Desperately waiting for more.

P.S: This episode had a nice little concept of quantum physics, effortlessly assimilated in the dialogues. I daresay, it was enjoyable.

Can this show get any better ?

Author: amirdbw07 from Iran
17 February 2014

It is amazing how the show can top itself week after week. Just when I thought that it would be difficult to top the last episode, This episode proved me wrong. From the beginning to the end of the episode everything was meticulously done, writing, editing and acting and honestly What a performance by Matthew McConaughey and the cinematography was just the icing on the cake. I love this show.To me it has the atmosphere of David Fincher's Se7en,The storytelling as good wire and acting as amazing as Breaking Bad. On one hand, It's unfortunate that the story is headed to its final episodes, on the other hand I can hope that the show ends the way it deserves.

When you can't remember your lives, you can't change your lives

Author: sp106 from New York
18 February 2014

And so it took all but five episodes to reach what seems to be the apex of this fine series. Every chapter had been a slow burn up until the last two fast-paced entries. And what a roller coaster ride it's been thus far.

All along we know these two former partners are toying with their interrogators, leaving out important details that are only accurately portrayed in flashbacks. Their is a mutual respect between Cohle and Hart that is not apparent in their vis-a-vis interaction but even after the foreboding 'falling out' these two had, they are still looking out for one another, and I personally enjoy that odd couple camaraderie.

The love/hate of episode 5 has to be how much is learned in so little a time after the methodical way of revealing details in the previous entries. We learn about Cohle's only other successful relationship thus far, how Maggie takes back the straying Hart. How the encounter with Ledoux is all one big slap in the face which was disappointing after the conclusion of Episode 3. I thought for sure Rust would scold Marty for his 'impulse shooting,' but thems the breaks. "Good to see you commit to something." Seven years go by in a flash with the conclusion of the Dora Lange case until another mention of the infamous Yellow King. And here we go again. Rusty becomes unhinged, and of course we all missed that intensity...he gets kinda boring when he's not focused on something.

With three episodes left, I'm not completely mad that they have to start going at a faster pace. And just when you think you're starting to piece things together. All I know is I can't wait for the next one

The plot thickens!

Author: mm-39 from Winnipeg
20 February 2014

The plot thickens! Hart and Cohle Characters develop more and the major plot twist takes the story into a new direction. The viewer discovers the capture of a serial killer is a sub-plot, a rouse to the major story. Hart is covered for by Cohle. There are limits of what Hart can say or do because of his debt to his partner. Cohle is an ice cold personality. Suspicions turn towards Cohle as the killer. The script, directing, and acting blend into a smooth, riveting, series making the viewer wanting to watch more. H B O has raised the bar for television quality. I give "The Secret Fate of All Life" a 10 out of 10. Let us see if the suspect's prophecy of everything in life goes full circle goes to fruition. A must see episode.