IMDb > Thank You for Your Service (2017/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Thank You for Your Service More at IMDbPro »

As real in the rear as it gets

Author: Deonne Thompson
18 October 2017

I took my mother to see this film so that she may understand through a movie what I could not share with her verbally but what she has witnessed physically with me. This is not a war movie but a film of what war does to you and how it affects you after you are no longer in physical war but your mind stays in mental war and no one understands ( EMPATHY) except those there with you. After 3 combat tours I identified with things that went over a lot of peoples heads but the movie moved me and Dream Works did a spot on job with what we with PTS go through and why its so hard to deal with and maybe if everyone saw this film they could see the inner turmoil a soldier, a marine, a airman, and a seaman goes through after experiencing physical and mental trauma. Thank You for your service hits on all aspects from the ptsd sufferer to the spouses and all around them. this is a must see to spread compassion to all who served.

Really thankssss.............

Author: kashidomar from Bangladesh
17 October 2017

A mixer of war, drama and pure adventure. The movie is a ballance equillibrium of all these aspects. The movie starts with the early war actions of military personnel in iraq. But they return after war and haunted by those memories.Those memories shattering their personal life, their dreams and emotions, their surroundings...

This movie is a different genre movie..not a typical fast action or mysterious thriller movies...not an excellent dreamy sci-fi movie...rather it is a movie of true passion of life..A movie containing real life drama..real heart and mind...real flesh and blood..slow but steady..

Acting is superb.Most of the movie is full of nostalgic scenes of battlefield.They are true colour of life. Most members have acted well enough to visualize the full drama.

Critics may have many opinions of their own. I don't know what they will say about the film. But i have enjoyed the movie very much.Now it's your turn.

A portrayal of the effects of war on today's soldiers.

Author: John Twist from United States
28 October 2017

I viewed this movie at the suggestion of a family member who had served in Afghanistan. I'm glad I did -- it is a wonderful movie of the struggles of the modern, professional soldier. There were no "impossible" scenes of war or family life. Nothing was fantastic or even out of the ordinary. This could have all played out in your home town. This is the story of three fellow soldiers, comrades-in-arms, after their return to civilian life. The acting was realistic. The women who played the wives were totally believable. Well, so were the guys. The scenes not preposterous – no crashing police cars, no hail of bullets from which the lead emerges unscathed. The audio was EXCELLENT (which is not true for any number of modern movies); The ordeals and anxieties of these vets kept the story line well within reason but perhaps a bit compressed. The Veterans Administration was painted in a horrid light – to be fair, the counselors were seen as helpful but the staff as uncaring. I want to believe the point was made that the problems with the VA are systemic and from lack of funding – hence the movie's title. The officer corps was condemned several times by buffoonery and indifference, not an uncommon theme in any movie dealing with the military. I believe it would have played better with more balance, one caring officer, for example. While heavy on coarse language, cursing, and graphic sexual profanity, it wasn't "over the top" for soldiers' "manguage." The very few sexual scenes were largely off camera. The "R" rating must come from the expletives and subject matter. I saw "Coming Home" soon after returning from Vietnam. That was an anti-war movie. This is not anti-war, but it is a political movie. This is a film about those veterans who are not supported by the psychological services of the VA. It impels the viewer to contact his elected officials to implore them to solve the problem.

Shining light on a shameful episode of American society: where is the help these veterans need and deserve?

Author: Paul Allaer from Cincinnati
28 October 2017

"Thank You For Your Service" (2017 release; 108 min.) brings the story of 3 guys returning home after serving in Iraq. As the movie opens, we are in "Rustamiyah, Iraq", where we are at the tail end of a mission gone horribly wrong. Shortly thereafter, the guys return home to Topeka, KS. Sergeant Schumann is awaited by his wife and 2 young kids, and he tries mightily to fit in. His other mates similarly encounter issues, and all grow restless and desperate. At this point we're less than 15 min. into the movie, but to tell you more of the plot would spoil your viewing experience, you'll just have to see for yourself how it all plays out.

Couple of comments: this is the directing debut of screen writer Jason Hall, working from David Finkel's non-fiction book of the same name. The movie shines a light on a shameful episode of American society: in the last 15 years, we have send hundreds of thousands of young (mostly) men and (some) women to the Middle East, and when they return home, many of them struggle with post-traumatic stress disorder, only to find that much needed help is mostly not available. The movie perfectly captures that is the administrative madness of the Department of Veterans Administration. The VA's shortcomings have been known for YEARS, yet seemingly nothing is being done about it. Meanwhile these veterans suffer (and worse). Miles Teller as Sergeant Schumann is outstanding (by coincidence, this is the second weekend in a row where Teller stars as a true hero--just last weekend I saw him in "Only the Brave"), as is (for me newcomer) Beulah Koale as the troubled Solo, and Haley Bennett as Schumann's loyal wife. But perhaps the most remarkable performance comes from Amy Schumer as the widow of of of the perished soldiers, MILES away from her usual comedy roles. CAUTION about the movie's trailer: is is completely misleading, as it makes it look very much "American Sniper" like, when in fact only about 10 min. of "Thank You For Your Service" plays out in Iraq (in that sense, the movie is similar in tone to the late 70s Vietnam war movie "Coming Home"). Also this: in recent weeks, there was separately a very prominent trailer in the theaters where Shania Twain presents (and plays) her song "Soldier" as being from this movie. Guess what: that song is NOT in the movie AT ALL, not even just a few seconds. Shamefully misleading again. (Instead, there is a powerful new Bruce Springsteen song, "Freedom Cadence", that plays over the movie's end titles).

"Thank You For Your Service" opened wide this weekend. The Friday evening screening where I saw this at here in Cincinnati was attended okay but the small theater was by no means close to a sell-out. No matter. "Thank You For Your Service" is one of those all-too-rare movies that is actually a good movie, while also bringing a powerful and important message/reminder. What have we come to as a society when we do not provide much needed help and support to the hundreds of thousands of troops that have served our nation with honor and bravery? I readily recommend that you check out "Thank You For Your Service", be it in the theater, on VOD or eventually on DVD/Blu-ray.

Pretty well made war drama, that effectively deals with the subject of PTSD.

Author: Hellmant from United States
15 November 2017

'THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE': Four Stars (Out of Five)

A war biopic about U.S. soldiers returning home from service in Iraq, and trying to adapt to normal civilian life again. It was written and directed by actor turned first time filmmaker Jason Hall, and it's based on the non-fiction novel (of the same name) by David Finkel. The movie stars Miles Teller, Beulah Koale, Haley Bennett, Joe Cole, Scott Haze and Amy Schumer. It's received mostly positive reviews from critics, and it's also performed very modestly at the Box Office as well. I found it to be a pretty well made war drama, that effectively deals with the subject of PTSD.

The film begins with Sergeant Adam Schumann (Teller), Tausolo Aieti (Koale) and Will Waller (Cole) all returning home from Iraq. Schumann returns with severe depression, to his loving and supportive wife Saskia (Bennett), and their daughter. Waller also returns with severe mental issues, to find that his fiancée has left him with their daughter. Aieti returns to a pregnant wife, grateful to the military for what they've given him. We later learn that all three soldiers suffer from more horrendous PTSD issues than are even first apparent, and they quickly become life threatening for them to have to deal with.

The film is pretty dark and depressing, and it's also very hard to watch (at times) because of it. There's definitely very little humor in it, or even exciting war action scenes (if that's what you're looking for). I think this is a good thing though, because it allows the movie to focus solely on PTSD, and how it deeply changes our heroic soldiers. Teller is great in the lead (like always), and Koale (who I've never heard of before this) gives a more than decent supporting turn. Like I said, it's definitely not a fun time at the movies, by any measure, but it's also definitely worth checking out.

Powerful Story

Author: steve beard (stevendbeard@aol.com) from United States
13 November 2017

I saw "Thank You For Your Service", starring Miles Teller-War Dogs, Fantastic Four_2015; Haley Bennett-The Magnificent Seven_2016, The Equalizer; Beulah Koale-Hawaii Five-O-2017_tv, The Last Saint and Amy Schumer-Snatched, Seeking a Friend For the End of the World. This is a movie that focuses on soldiers returning from the Iraqi war and their difficulties in trying to integrate back into civilian life. Miles is the leader of his squad in Iraq, with Beulah as one of his men. Miles is in an incident that causes him to be replaced on his next mission and the guy that replaces him gets killed in action. Miles feels terribly guilty and when he and Beulah return to the States, they both have PTSD-Beulah was on the mission that the soldier died on. Haley is Miles' wife and Amy is the wife of the soldier that died in Iraq. The problems getting the help they need from the VA is frustrating-they are told that the wait for services can be anywhere from months to even years. Some vets commit suicide. Most have nightmares. It is a powerful story that makes you wish that there was something that you could do to help them get the help they need, right now.During the end credits, there is a Bruce Springsteen song played called 'Freedom Cadence'. It's rated "R" for violence, language, drug use and sexual content- brief nudity-and has a running time of 1 hour & 49 minutes. I don't know if I would buy it on DVD-one viewing was enough-but it would be a good rental, well worth seeing.

An important statement for our times, beautifully acted by a largely unknown cast.

Author: nanannham from Mount Vernon, WA
13 November 2017

We actually saw this by mistake. We thought we were headed for Last Flag Flying. With Thor opening at the time, I suppose it wasn't surprising that there were only a half dozen of us watching this one. Enormously moving, without being maudlin, it opened our eyes to the impact of PTSD, how a single awful incident can cause it, and the uselessness of the VA which is clearly overwhelmed. Caught up in the drama, seeing Amy Schumer in a small tragic role did shock you out of it: which is not to criticize her performance or her right to diversify her roles. If she does it more frequently, it might not be so startling. The odd thing is the sermon at my church that morning was all about forgiveness: forgiving past wrongs to free you of years of pain and rancor, but particularly forgiving yourself. When Adam is able to free himself of guilt by facing those he feels he hurt, he starts on his road to recovery. This was an important statement for our times that should be seen by many but will actually be seen by few: the producers knew that in advance and made in indie on the cheap. I hope they make back some of the cost. Most people would rather rattle off the praise Thank you for your service, than spend a dime to experience what it means.

Excellent Film That Needs To Be Seen!

Author: Rob Ervin (Obi_Bamm_Karaoke) from Mesquite, Texas
2 November 2017

There tend to be two kinds of films when it comes to war and the military: the kind where you have the against-all-odds soldiers achieving the impossible to protect the freedoms that we enjoy every day and the "war is hell" stories that paint a bleaker picture of pain, fear, and loss. Just like with most storytelling, both are right, both are wrong, neither are right, and neither are wrong. Much like a painting done by different artists, the more perspectives that are given on a particular subject matter give those that consume that subject matter a more complete picture. In the matter of Jason Hall's take on David Finkel's book "Thank You for Your Service," there is a little bit of both and a little bit of neither.

Miles Teller plays Sergeant Adam Shumann, who is returning from a particularly rigorous tour of the Middle East that involved loss and damage to some of his compatriots. Along with Solo (Beulah Koale) and Will (Joe Cole), they each bring their own parts in their shared adventures home with them with varying results and one thing in common: darkness.

"Thank You for Your Service" is a film that actually works on a few different levels for me. Going in, I was worried that its message would borderline on a political statement or venture into the territory of caricature, but it doesn't do either of those things more than it has to. This is a gritty, honest, and in-your-face look at what happens to our young men and women that put their lives on the line in the middle of nowhere on a completely different continent than they have ever known not only on the battlefield but also the aftermath on how they deal with the families they have been without for way too long, the lives they left behind, and a system that is so overwhelmed and understaffed that they cannot get the help they need in a timely manner. Teller keeps his performance in the pocket as he should and lets his co-stars have their moments as well. Shumann is a man who suffers on his own not because of his pride but because of his love and concern for those around him to not have to carry the burdens he does, and Teller's work with Haley Bennett as his wife, Saskia, is nothing short of pure and palpable. Koale also embodies his role well as a young man who believes that the Army "saved his life" while trying to fight off a level of PTSD that cannot simply be ignored. There is also a very impressive turn here by Amy Schumer (and yes, you read that right) as the widow of one of the soldiers in her unit who wants answers and cannot find them. It is nice to see her stretch her dramatic chops in a way that I have not seen before without me going "oh, it's Amy Schumer… so, there's THAT". She truly is impressive here, and I hope to see her do more challenging roles down the road.

This is a film that I hope can been seen as a conversation starter on a subject that needs more light shown upon it because it does so in a very respectful way that is not too preachy or overly stated. It has a strong statement and is not afraid to let its message be put out there. "Thank You for Your Service" is a rare film that people from all walks of life and opinions can go to and see it for what it is and in doing so can hopefully open a dialog that needs to be continually had from multiple levels.

difficult movie to watch

Author: Ajtlawyer from Richland, WA
30 October 2017

This was a very difficult movie to watch. Rather than a war movie, it's an after-the-war movie with the returning soldiers all struggling to cope with different degrees of physical and mental disability. Betrayed by loved ones they left at home, struggling with brain injuries due to road-side bomb attacks, plagued with survivor guilt and all of them let down by the Army and Veterans Administration that's supposed to be helping them.

The movie it is most like is the outstanding "The Best Years of Our Lives" which was a multi-Oscar winner in its day, following how three war veterans try, with varying degrees of success, to reclaim their civilian lives. "Thank You for Your Service" is a much more brutal version of that story in terms of language and emotional angst of the survivors. Both are well worth watching.

Display of Courage After the Battles

Author: Thomas Drufke
29 October 2017

Thank You For Your Service is one of those perfectly formidable films about PTSD, but it's also nothing I haven't seen in other films. So while it's undeniably well-made and well-acted, it's tough overly praise something that I have ultimately seen before.

The film follows 3 soldiers, just returning home from Iraq, as they struggle emotionally to re-introduce themselves to the family they haven't seen in months, or even years. Starring Miles Teller, Joe Cole, and Beulah Koale as close friends/soldiers who are looking for a way to cope with PTSD as the events in Irag haunt them through their day-to-day life. Much like most war films, there are some haunting images and scenes that are shown throughout 'Thank You For Your Service', and actually the film plays better as a heads-up to be aware of the troubles that Veterans go through after war. So I guess in that way, this story may have been better served as a documentary feature.

In narrative form, there are some great performances and visually stunning scenes, however it's mostly a slow building and grueling experience emotionally and physically for these characters. Speaking of performances, there is one particular actress who just feels completely out of place in this film. It's not necessarily fair for me to call her out of place, because she actually gives a fine performance, but I'm just not used to her playing someone who should be taken seriously. That actress is Amy Schumer. Again, it's not a bad performance but I just found myself wondering how those scenes would have played out with a different actress.

Thank You For Your Service is a good example of a film which I'm glad was made, but it's not an absolutely necessary film to watch. It's a nice reminder though to think about all of the Veterans of war who are constantly looking for help post-war time. In that regard, it's a well-strung together film.

7.0/10