IMDb > Antisocial (2013/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

B Movie but watchable

Author: Jim from Canada
17 January 2014

A satire like Dead Set.

Apparently, a social media site uses subliminal to draw members back. Unfortunately, that program mutates into a virus that affects human brains. Turning people delusional and violence. To the point where a tumour grows and some heads explode.

Lots' of frights and gore. As usual, the survivors barricade themselves in a house and fall one by one. As the survivors frantically check the social site for news, they are infected too.

Decent acting and pace. Not to be taken seriously like Walking Dead. Just enjoy the creepiness and horror.

It's worth a Watch

Author: joy-jsmith from jamshedpur, India
2 January 2014

I really don't get a reason to see such a low rating becoz this movie is definite worth a watch if you are into zombie or outbreak stuff.the idea was great and the treatment was different for a change.the story grips you in the middle but bit luck-warm at the beginning and bit at the end.the acting just was there but misses the spark a bit.music is good and camera work is OK too.I think a good 15 min can be cut off from it's entire length but overall it's a different and very innovative movie,yes it's not an excellent or mind blowing one but it will not disappoint you either.

If you have some free time in your hand and want to enjoy a decent and new idea film then it's for you but as I said don't expect an Oscar winning story just be with it and you may end up liking it.

To put it in internet slang: epic fail

Author: Coventry from the Draconian Swamp of Unholy Souls
1 November 2013

Luckily enough it rarely ever happens to me, but "Antisocial" was a film where I just had to leave the theater before it was finished… The dumb and derivative plot, the insufferable characters and – most importantly – the indescribable boredom that I miraculously struggled myself through for about three quarters of the running time just became too unendurable towards the ending. I like to consider myself as a patient and tolerant horror fanatic, but this was one of the single worst movies that I ever watched at a festival. The plot is a blatant imitation of "The Signal", in which a signal broadcast through communication devices like TV-sets and mobile telephones turns people into insane, emotionless and unstoppable killing machines. "Antisocial" replaces this signal with a subliminal message spread through a social media website (they call it Social Redroom, but it's clearly aimed at Facebook) that turns its users into aggressive zombies. The victims, all internet addicts that even spend the New Year's celebration with the phones and laptops in their hands, first suffer from bizarre hallucinations and subsequently start bleeding from their nose and ears. Perhaps in the hands of an experienced and talented director, the story could have resulted in a realistically tense and paranoid apocalyptic horror tale, but debuting director Cody Calahan erroneously focuses too much on the five (completely uninteresting) main characters and the intrigues between them. There are far too many dull, meaningless and repetitive dialogs in the screenplay, while the "action" sequences are tame and brief. It's really hard to explain how boring "Antisocial" is and how badly I hoped for all the protagonists to suffer quick and painful deaths. The morality lesson, spend more real time with your friends instead of from behind a social media profile, is quite laughable and pathetic. Like they say on the internet: epic fail…

Clever

Author: gavin6942 from United States
28 October 2014

Five university friends gather at a house party to ring in the New Year. Unbeknownst to them, an epidemic has erupted outside, causing outbreaks around the world.

Scott Weinberg of Fearnet says, "If you can get past the fact that the flick is composed of 75% recycled ideas and 25% new ones, you may find that something to like." Sounds to me like Weinberg does not understand how the horror genre works -- few movies today have less than 75% recycled ideas. Why gripe about this one?

Indeed, this was an interesting satire and attack on social media. Silly, maybe, and certainly nothing that can be taken too seriously. But not the terrible film critics (especially Rotten Tomatoes) makes it out to be. When compared to the technology-themed "The Den", this is the more mature and accomplished approach to the Internet Age.

Pathetic

Author: Drain Blut
26 January 2015

Another day, another terrible zombie movie, if it can so be called. This one attempts to separate itself from the crowd by using a social network(called "Social Red Room") as a deep seeded backbone for the movie. Everyone in the movie is using it, and that's apparently all they use, as shown in literally every scene in the movie. It's outgrown Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Twitch, Steam, along with any dating site or official news site(Surely you've heard of it?). We then have a zombie outbreak and it's incredibly obvious from the start that this 1 network everyone in the world uses is connected to it. It's painful how obvious this is, when it could have been much less obvious if it wasn't forced into every scene down your throat. You're literally watching a movie in which every scene someone accesses or uses this network. You won't go 10 seconds without seeing it pulled up on a phone or laptop to do something. This movie strangles you to such an excessive degree with this social network every scene that you should see their "clever plot twist" coming from a mile away. Trust me however, it's not logical in any way, and you only feel insulted once the movie confirms what you were already hoping WASN'T going to be the "twist" because it was just too stupid and too predictable.

Ignoring the Social Red Room, what you're left with is a terrible zombie movie where you'll care about no character, have no investment in anyone or anything, and will probably forget about an hour after viewing. Some of the acting is terrible, but that's the least of the movie's problems. You just have no interesting characters or plot to make you care about this movie or anything in it.

Seriously, watch Remains or State of Emergency(both 2011) instead. Those are GOOD zombie movies in recent years you probably haven't heard of. But this one? Antisocial? Stay far away. It's a movie made to send a message against social networks, but done by people who had no idea when or how to do that, nor how to make the movie they shoved it into.

Social media will be the end of the world

Author: Ocrisia from New York
10 April 2014

By half an hour in, I was wondering who possibly could watch this movie and not want to throw something at the screen. I read about the movie and it said a bunch of college students are holed up in their house while crazy events happen around them. That's not what happens, really, it's just a bunch of students holed up in a house while a virus spreads making everyone act like zombies. I didn't realize it was an almost zombie movie, and I'm pretty tired of zombies, I don't find them scary and I think they're played out. But every once in a while I'll see a zombie movie I like, so I stuck it out. They're not actually zombies though, they're not dead, they're just sick, and violent. For some reason the news in the movie says it's a biological terror attack, but in reality it's a virus spread by social media. Seriously. It comes through the cell phones of people messing around on "the social redroom" (facebook.) So there's that. Forget that it's literally impossible to spread a virus (a biological one) through a computer or a cell phone. It's like a computer virus that spreads to people if they spend too much time on social networking sites. This is explained at the end of the movie, which helps a little, but not really. The people in the movie don't realize how it spreads yet. They're all at a new year's party and a few of them spend most of the time with their friends on their phones or laptop. A bit of the movie we watch takes place on a screen on the screen. Then there's one guy who keeps saying "we don't know if he's infected" about 1) a friend of theirs who shows up at their door demanding to be let in with his nose and ears bleeding (the signs everyone says to watch for). He still wants to let him in, because "we don't know if that's what he has." Really? Then his friend who is in the house tells him he's sick, and says he has the symptoms, and he says it again. "We don't know if that's what you have." But then, when the girl in the house pukes, he thinks she has it. The one person with symptoms that don't fit the virus is the one person he assumes has it. This guy, by the way, is a medical undergrad student. There are some kind of interesting ideas, like when the dead die they basically become like computers themselves, or phones. I just can't get past the idea that if you look at a screen too much you will get a biological virus, because..no. The explanation is (SPOILER) that the site, and the infected, make your brain grow too big for your head. Even with that though, I probably would have enjoyed it more if the actors didn't act like such morons. They do in a lot of horror movies, but these guys are too dumb. And the ending doesn't really make sense, though I kind of liked it.

Like the Pulse films if taken a bit farther. Not much more there.

Author: Jesse Boland from Burnaby, BC Canada
29 December 2013

It is not awful. It is not quite full of anything. This is a nice experiment if nothing else. The main story is basically a complete mix of any viral outbreak film, and the Pulse movies. The ending is so Resident Evil, and everything in the middle is sort of Dawson's Creek- ish. There are some really neat new ideas mixed in with all of the same old, and the acting is (overall) very good, you might even be impressed with the complexity of the special effects, as they do a fair job with all of the different computer generated, and make-up effects. I Don't for two seconds buy that she can even lift that axe at the end though, there is just no way. The same one in the poster has been shrunk down to look more real. I guess in the end I Enjoyed this movie, and would recommend it to anyone who has already seen the Pulse movies, and would like to see a more contemporary take on that idea, or someone like myself who just needs to watch it all, otherwise I would say pass. If you only watch 30 movies a year, you don't have time for this one.

Terrible, just terrible waste

Author: Gabriel Teixeira from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
6 February 2014

A group of university friends make a party to celebrate the New Year. However, a strange epidemic of violence erupts all around the world, apparently related to social networks, and they are forced to fight for survival as everything goes mad around them.

It sounds good, it feels good. My thoughts, as I first read about this film and started watching it, was that this could be like a 'Pontypool' type of zombie/outbreak film mixed with 'Pulse's technology based horror. A try at social commentary, which could work well with this horror style.

Well, I guess I shouldn't have been expecting an intelligent horror. The comparison to 'Pulse', rather than the much better and original 'Kairo', was the only of my expectations to be met.

The whole 'social network zombies' concept the film seemed aimed for (and some reviewers seemed to believe make it deep and original) ends up as nothing but a half-assed excuse to indulge on the usual horror clichés (in special, the zombie ones). Weak, drowzy acting cast performing stereotyped or disengaging characters prone to stupid and nonsensical decisions, together with a complete disregard for logic on the plot development or even in basic research (the way the 'virus' spreads... seriously?).

The set-up is relatively promising, and the concept could be developed nicely. A problem most modern horror makers do is believing everything needs to be fast-paced; 'Antisocial' ends up moving so fast it rushes through the good parts of the concept. Rather than doing like 'Invasion of Body Snatchers' or 'The Thing' and building up the suspense, playing with the whole paranoia situation the film could easily create, they instead rush through for the zombie gore and Resident Evil-like 'action girl fights zombies' 'action'.

As it turns out, the conflict and the tension are far too phony to work, the characters are both moronic and cannot bring the audience to care about them, and the only thing this whole film offers is the usual clichés rather than something new.

Some reviewers here are trying to defend the film with the 'argument' that it pretty much 'tries to be socially engaged, exploring new themes for an horror'. It is not exploring or engaged at all; it is just the same old with a half-assed excuse to try and hide the film's shallowness. Trying something new is good, but if you do so like 'Antisocial' it is better not to try at all.

Very disappointing

Author: dbowleysmith
11 June 2015

This movie is a blatant rider of the "Zombie Outbreak" bandwagon of the early 2010's. Like so many Zombie movies released during this period Antisocial lacks the substance and heart of those old B-grade flicks making it fell more like a money grab than anything.

The premise regarding the cause of the infection (which is my personal favorite part of Zombie movies) is so nonsensical and unscientific that I just cant take this movie seriously.Not to say it didn't have its good parts, however these are few and far between. Any true lover of zombie movies will be truly disappointed.

Seriously if you have the 90 mins it takes to watch this movie, you're better of attempting to perform backyard brain-surgery on yourself with a power-drill.

Sub-par suburban Canadian horror

Author: forgetful_man from Canada
9 November 2014

Twenty minutes in, I decided to go clean my kitchen instead. That should give you a good idea of how good this movie is.

Let's use the "things I learned" motif:

Balcony railings collapse no matter what force is applied.

A body in motion tends to stay in motion unless you are the good guy.

Barricading a house necessitates a montage.

Livestreaming vloggers stay on line until someone sends a video chat. Go ahead. You are undoubtedly the first one to think to do this.

Never trust a guy named Chad. Even if he is Canadian. Especially if he is Canadian

A glass sliding door will only ever be used once as a means of entry.

A person choking next to you should never distract you from web-surfing.

Christmas tree lights are remarkably strong.

College students don't swear nearly as much as you remember.

It's really hard to tell the difference between the aftermath of a really good New Year's Eve party, and a home invasion.

I don't have any quibbles with the fictional cause of the outbreak, its effects or its treatment. We long ago gave up on any sort of logic about those things in these types of movies.

It is hard however, very hard, perhaps even impossible, to make your protagonist both adorable and bad-ass. But I'll be damned if they don't try.