"Saturday Night Live" Melissa McCarthy/Phoenix (2013)

« Prev | 743 of 810 Episodes | Next »

Saturday Night Live Host: Melissa McCarthy

Author: dalydj-918-255175 from Ireland
7 April 2013

SNL makes it's return and Melissa McCarthy does hosting the show for a second time (last time she hosted she was nominated for an Emmy). I was excited because McCarthy was quite funny last time and hosting for her second time I was very disappointed because the writing team did not give her as much different things to do and every character felt largely the same with the odd funny moment she made funny because of who she is. Honestly the beginning monologue was the funniest sketch with McCarthy in super high heels making her way to the stage and while it could have felt dragged out the sketch just felt funny with the inclusion of a dancing Tarran Killam as well. Another funny moment of the episode was on Weekend Update with the Drunk Uncle part which I never find funny only was better with Peter Dinklage joining in as his drunk cousin making the two quite funny and maybe a sign that Dinklage could be a good host for the show in the future. Phoneix were OK but not memorable in their performances. The worst moment of the show for me was the Bathroom Business Man commercial but it was quick so I do not need to care. Overall average episode that was not as funny as it could have been.

EPISODE GRADE: C- (MVP: Melissa McCarthy)