IMDb > "Henry Hugglemonster" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Henry Hugglemonster" More at IMDbPro »

Too Much Artificial Playing

Author: lansimmons112 from Los Angeles, CA
24 May 2015

Upon seeing colorful ads of the show, I thought it was going to be interesting. I even thought the title character was cute. However some things are kinda disappointing. Yes, the show features adorable Halloween creatures. But I wonder why a lot of the boys are played by drag kings instead of child actors? How artificial and not genuine. Surely there are a million child actors out there auditioning, thus it wouldn't be so difficult to pick a few. The use of drag kings has certainly ruined characters like Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, and it certainly ruined this show. When will some studio people ever learn?

Besides criticism, there are few positives I can name. The colorful CGI animation, brings back memories of vintage video games from the 1990s. I even go back to playing some online. Well, that's just about it in the good stuff.

They Could Have Use Real Boys

Author: gregoryofthepillar from Atlanta, GA
30 September 2015

Why is the yellow protagonist played by a tomboy? As a matter of fact, why are a lot of the young male beasts played tomboys? Are real boys hard to get? I don't think so. Also, real boys are inexpensive to hire. So why did whoever picks the cast selected tomboys instead of real boys? I don't know why but doing so certainly hurts the image of male performers. Doing so also has no sense of tradition.

Perhaps whoever is running this series is trying to put on a drag show, such a show where characters are played by fakers. If this trend goes on, then the real people for the job might look insignificant. Therefore it is best to be appropriate when giving roles to performers. That way, everyone gets a fair share.

Because of the tomboys used, this show is losing its shine. Perhaps it would still be shining had they use real boys.

Some things go against tradition

Author: terrigunmor from Canada
27 December 2014

For generations, imps are portrayed as nefarious creatures. But in this era, they are portrayed in various ways, even in cutesy form which is the case for this show. When I saw ads for this, I was somewhat interested. But when I read about it in some sources, I developed mixed emotions. Despite the cute colorful illustrations, some of the characters (including the title one) are not played in the traditional way. I wonder if the one who selects the cast can actually differentiate between someone in a tutu and someone in a soldier outfit. If he can, then the proper people should have been applied. Perhaps that explains why this show has such low ratings in some database sites. The traditional way is the right way. Back to those colorful illustrations, I guess that's the only thing that's superb in this show. It's a good thing CGI technology was created. If not, this show would be claymation.