IMDb > "The Blacklist" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Blacklist"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"The Blacklist" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 28:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

In my opinion the BEST newcomer this season (fall 2013)

Author: Dr_Sagan from the Edge of the Cosmos
9 October 2013

The Blacklist is in my opinion the best series right now on TV. I waited to see 3 episodes before I write this mini-review, just to be sure!

It's about one of FBI's most wanted fugitives, Raymond "Red" Reddington, who, without an apparent reason, walks into FBI Headquarters in Washington, D.C. and surrenders! He has a secret agenda though and no one knows exactly what it is. He offers his expertise and connections to the FBI, to help catching some of the world's most dangerous criminals and terrorists (=The Blacklist). There is a condition and it is a strange one: He only talks to Elizabeth Keen, a young FBI profiler.

The main character is played by James Spader with an earthly style and confidence. He is really good in this. Not an over-the-top performance, with too much sarcasm like the usual mastermind villains in movies or series. He is succeeding to put a tone of regret in his character and that's make him likable.

Megan Boone is OK as the rookie agent, Diego Klattenhoff is very good too.

The production is looking good, the pacing (a very important factor in TV series) is great, and so far the plot works fine. In each episode we are seeing Reddington helping FBI catch another world class villain, but there is a backbone central story that also seems interesting.

Overall: Highly recommended.

Phenomenal Start

Author: killer1h from United States
23 September 2013

Let me start by saying there was a lot of hype around this show and it didn't disappoint. The Blacklist is a crime drama, where one of the most wanted criminals in the world(James Spader)turns himself in which triggers a very interesting chain of events.

Right from the very first scene you get the feeling that you're part of a play, all the people line up in their proper places and the dance begins. The acting all around is top notch, there's an hint of back story that starts out just as the Lizzy(Jessica Alverson) makes an entrance. As the story continues little by little pieces start falling into place, yet even after nearly seeing everything there is to see, you realize you've really learned nothing because it's all shrouded in mystery.

10/10 Fantastic start, I can see this show shaping up to be one of the great ones.

glad to see spader back

Author: t hamilton from Australia
25 September 2013

Read the synopsis of this show and saw James Spader was starring and had to check it out.

Plot centers around a criminal mastermind that has eluded authorities for years, but whom in the opening scenes inexplicably gives himself over to FBI custody. What unfolds is a tale where no one is who they seem to be and the audience is never truly sure where anyone's loyalties truly lie.

Obviously we are only one episode deep (as of writing this) but the show looks like it has a good shot at taking off as a smart roller coaster of intrigue and character development.

The negatives were few, apart from the female lead the other fbi agents seemed very generic, stiff and set in their ways and fairly ineffective at dealing with what is portrayed as a vastly superior criminal underworld.

fans of spader such as myself will doubtless watch this regardless of reviews or ratings, but if you enjoy shows in the vein of thomas crown affair or catch me if you can, you will likely enjoy this kind of show.

Amazing Show

Author: Annettemc-817-878180 from United States
14 October 2013

I've been looking forward to James Spader's return to the small screen since Boston Legal. and just finished watching last episode at http://www.trailerdb.net as always Mr Spader has chosen well the show to return with, it is a fascinating series about a mastermind criminal turning himself in to the FBI with a list of criminals that are pulling strings all over the world, the people behind the criminals.

The termination of Dexter and Breaking bad has left very little to watch on television but I can't help but to be hopeful with such great new shows taking their places.

I am a big fan of Mr Spader and I can't wait for the next episodes. Bravo!

Oh dear!

Author: Janne Virtala
24 September 2013

I started the series with some expectation. Plot seemed workable and interesting, but my hopes were quickly washed aside.

It started of very cliché with main character (wanted criminal) walking into to a federal building. The first let-down was the 6-8 polices standing around him with pistols and rifles. (Maybe they would have just cuffed him without any 7-8 seconds stand around with loaded guns, in a building full of civilians to minimize the danger?) My taught was: "Its just a one minor detail".

Then a certain police is required for him to co-operate. Consequently, the police arrive to pick her up at her house with 4-5 cars tires squealing and police lights on (The Cavalry has arrived), and with Army helicopter in front of a normal civilian building. Maybe just a small fast police helicopter and one car so the entire street wouldn't be aware somethings happening. "Another detail, hope this gets better" I taught. I have mention that the police were not in any kind of hurry at that point to justify this flashy arrival.

The girl is on his first day at FBI criminal profiler, but she is more mentalist than "the Mentalist" himself. She keeps making all the correct decisions (Its paved for her yes, but there is like 1000 years of experience in the room and she is the rookie). Then comes the most unbelievable scene where four FBI SUV are stopped on the bridge and the terrorist arrive. Terrorists act like idiots (One is amazed that his gun runs out of bullets and just looks at his gun while not taking any cover). Somehow these 3-4 amateur terrorist destroy the whole convey, take the girl, drop ropes down to the river where there are escape boats. Where is the police helicopter now, or any helicopter? How about nearby police officers?. The fighting took like 5-6 minutes. I am sure one of the FBI agents or any civilian would have alarmed the police. In reality there would be chopper on top of them in few minutes and police would arrive with tremendous force.

I am trying to force myself to continue, but soon the finishing blow is here. The criminal that arrived is getting "trades" for his information. He is now in five star hotel, having access to all the case's data, getting rid of the handcuffs ----> and my TV is off. "I rather go to sleep". This show will be canceled at season two latest, even that is a stretch. On the other hand, I have mistaken the "CSI audience's" lack of desire for intellectual TV before..

Somebody will like this, Im sure. For me, I have a feeling that I know how this is going to turn out. The girl will out-smart rest detectives, nobody will believe her at first in most cases, but she will turn out to be right in every turn. Probably little late for some cases due to decoys of the this criminal, so the show can go on for a while. It was hinted that she was something special to him. She did not have a dad. He (the criminal) had left his family on a Christmas Eve. Strongly suggesting that he is her father, or close relative/friend. He knew personal details from her past. "Blaablaa", I don't care, don't waste your time. If nothing else to watch, might be bearable.

I am not buying this...

Author: Solrosen
24 September 2013

I was curious about this very hyped pilot, I like the idea and watched the pilot yesterday. I am not impressed and here is why; There is always a certain degree of imagination of course, that is not only expected but necessary- but the idea of FBI being so incredibly easy to manipulate is appalling. And the agents are portrayed as idiots. I have only seen one episode and I have already lost all respect for them. I did not like the female main character. She is way too gullible and perfectly fixed up even when she is in major danger. I thought we were passed those kind of female characters. And when story fails, because of lack of real people and a fascinating plot, add explosions, car chases and children in danger. I know it will probably pick up, James Spader is amazing in most things he does, but I will not waste any more time on this show.

Wow! What a surprise this was.

Author: Hal Swann
29 October 2013

Not a big fan of crime shows at all, but the pace and the punch to this show is out of the park good. It isn't often a director and editor are on the same page and can pack in what would take most other shows 3 episodes to get across, they do it in 2 minutes. The show's strengths are not in the acting, because the director and editor has made this about treating the audience with respect by minimizing long drawn out dialog. That works for feature films and long novels, but doesn't work well for an hour TV episode. Ignore the reviews about the acting being so bad, they are doing what the show demands, and it all works.

If you have an extra hour to spare, waste it on this, you will not be disappointed

Best new crime show

Author: lanitravels from United States
18 October 2013

We don't watch crime dramas much. But Blacklist is an exception! It really gripped me, and James Spader totally eats the scenes he is in. With out him, everyone else is simply blah. I don't even care that the premise of a wanted criminal walking into the FBI and then after being held like Hannibal Lecter, gets to gallivant all over the place in his private jet as a little unlikely. But hey then there wouldn't be a show. I hope they don't drag out the mysteries, tho, but build on them. Im curious, but prolonged teasing is just annoying. The violence may be a little much for some people. But not if your used to Walking Dead or Breaking bad.

poor james spader...

Author: oshesa1-683-224103
6 November 2013

i won't bother going into the synopsis...the last 70+ reviews did that. although i have continued to watch it, i want to like this show so much more. that probably would have been accomplished if the casting had been better. why oh why...in a town that must have at least 2 jennifer lawrences waiting somewhere in the wings to hit it big... did they settle for someone who can't hold my attention for a millisecond? poor james spader (brilliant as always) needs a foil worthy of his "hannibalness"...an up and coming jodie foster. the really great shows have lived and died by the whole roster down to the smallest part being cast perfectly. this one couldn't even get the female lead right. and, if i'm guessing correctly, lizzie turns out to be red's kid..i suppose i have to hope she has an FBI sister waiting in the wings somewhere. otherwise, lizzie's in it for the long haul. and i'm probably not. damn..so close...

Bad acting & characters

Author: altugozhan from NY, United States
11 December 2013

I was looking for a new show to watch and due to high ratings of the show I began watching but honestly I regret my decision.

The acting of the lead female actress is awful. Her looks, her face, her lines are artificial. It's obvious she's acting so I cannot get myself into the story. And her character is not realistic. It's her first day on the job and she's giving orders to senior officers and they obey. She tried to kill Reddington(a highly valuable asset) with a pen through his throat but nothing happens to her. When she yells people change their minds and obey. Ah also she cries too much. There are tons of crappy things like that.

And the story is awkward somehow. There are too many questions for the characters to ask but they do not ask. They simply accept their roles and wait for Spader to tell them things. And James Spader is simply the father of Lizzy or the murderer of her father. Isn't that obvious?

I'm deeply sorry for Spader, he deserved much more than this show. The only great thing about the show are the songs featured.

Page 1 of 28:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]