IMDb > "The Millers" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Millers" More at IMDbPro »

Putrid

Author: trans_mauro from Brazil
7 October 2013

"The Millers" is another (yes, another) sitcom about a dysfunctional family...

So far so good, other sitcoms were about this type of thing and they succeeded, and some of them even became classics.

But, the problem is that people are running out of ideas and because of it writers have to resort to scatological humor (sic).

First example: Mother farts in the living room and the main conclusion is that noisy farts are funny, quiet one are disgusting.

Second example: Husband complains that he has had no sex for the past ten years, woman tells she saw husband masturbating in the shower and that counts as sex because she saw the whole thing.

Third example: Postmenopausal mother had a sleep pill and gets dizzy... In a party she invites strangers to have sex withe her. Her selling point is that she cannot get pregnant...

Are these situations funny? I guess not.They are horrid examples of the lack of imagination of writers. What next, sex with animals, people urinating in each other? Not even "Idiocracy" could go that low. This is another example of the dumbing down of America.

Stupidity is packaged as humor.

This Show got the time slot after The Big Bang Theory. Why?

Author: Pat B. from United States
6 October 2013

Out of all the new shows that were debuting this season, this was one of the ones I had mixed reactions about. The cast sounds incredible. With the talents of people like Will Arnett, Margo Martindale, Beau Bridges, JB Smoove and Jayma Mays, it sounds like they would have great chemistry. Also, Greg Garcia is the creator of the one of the most underrated shows right now Raising Hope, which I also had mixed reactions toward before watching it, and it turned out be one of my favorite shows from 2010. The premise sounded really generic and the jokes sounded really lame from the preview. But that was the least of my problems.

This show really wasn't that good. It wasn't all that funny. Fart jokes are not funny anymore...oh wait...EVER! As for the cast, they're all being underused. Will Arnett wasn't funny, Margo Martindale was annoying, Jayma Mays was boring, JB Smoove wasn't funny either and Beau Bridges just annoyed me almost as much as Margo. The writers think by having her character as a chatty person and Beau Bridges's character as a total idiot is funny. However, they use lame jokes that we've seen over and over and over again and we'll probably continue to see them in the next few years. I haven't gotten to my biggest problem with this show.

The laugh track, is so damn annoying. They use the laugh track like every two seconds. They use it for situations that are not even funny. My love of laugh track sitcoms are dying and they're dying fast.

My biggest question with this show is why did it get paired up after The Big Bang Theory? The Big Bang Theory is probably the last laugh track sitcom that I still like, but CBS picked the wrong show to put on after it. The Crazy Ones and Mom are better than this and one of those shows should be on after The Big Bang Theory, not this generic and repetitive garbage.

So in the end, if you liked the preview, you'll like the show. If you didn't like the preview, you won't like the show. The cast is incredibly underused and I hope this show can get better from the pilot at least.

Good actors but some awkwardness

Author: SnoopyStyle
15 November 2014

Nathan Miller (Will Arnett) is a self-obsessed local TV reporter who is shocked by his parents Carol (Margo Martindale) and Tom (Beau Bridges) announcing that they're getting divorced. Now his parents split up to live separately with him, and his sister Debbie (Jayma Mays) and her husband Adam (Nelson Franklin) and her daughter Mikayla (Lulu Wilson). Nathan is best friend to his cameraman Ray (J.B. Smoove).

This started awkwardly with the parents splitting up. It's just more annoying than funny. The show is better off to start off after the split. Also for a separating couple, the family keeps hanging out together. The family does grow on me. I love Martindale and she's terrific as the bossy matriarch. The old couple's constant fighting fades more to the background. It is a little uneven. There are some likable laughs. The awkwardness starts to fade. Then the second season tries to bring in Sean Hayes to do a bad recurring role. It's one more mistake that the show doesn't need.

A real gem

Author: steevo51 from Ireland
20 December 2014

Some of the reviews here are ridiculous. This is one of the best TV programmes on telly. People cribbing the fact that they have seen the concept before when it's rare to see something unique. The writing is witty and snappy and in Arnett and Smoove it has possibly the two best comedy actors around. Ignore the IMDb score and ridiculous reviews this is an excellent programme, the jokes are clever and there are some nice tie ins with previous jokes. In one scene Nathan (Arnett) gets home to find his best mate Ray (Smoove) in his apartment with Nathans mother, Ray says he is staying in Nathans for a few night and Nathan asks what is wrong with his apartment, Ray says he had a big lady back and he wants to give the memory foam mattress a chance to forget, excellently delivered by the two mentioned actors. Watch a couple of episodes and thank me later

gave it another chance

Author: mareller-1 from United States
24 January 2014

I was really looking forward to this show because of the great cast, but it just didn't seemed to catch on with the the first couple of episodes so I supposed it might get cancelled. After the holidays I gave it another chance and in the last couple of weeks and I saw two episodes worth watching. With the focus off the mom/dad haranguing, I saw a sitcom with scenes and line deliveries which kept me laughing. One of the episodes involved the sister's hidden diary, but I thought better of tonight's episode about Nathan stealing his mother's rants to fuel his own TV segments. It certainly had some real belly laughs. Lately it seems the pacing and use of the supporting cast is improved. No hamming or mugging from anyone, just enough well timed involvement to keep the laughs coming. It is easy to see the cast is loaded with talent and let's hope the scripts are worthy of them.

Not worth watching

Author: pensman from United States
10 January 2014

I like J. B. Smoove even though he plays the same character in every sitcom. Having said that, this show could qualify as the offspring of Mean Girls i.e. mean family. Margo Martindale plays a mother minus any redeeming qualities. She is a mean bossy busy body who puts the dis in dysfunction. Arnett is a weak well intentioned boy/adult with mom issues. Beua Bridges is there for the money as any actor could stand in for him. I suspect this show survives because of its great time slot following The Big Bang Theory. Anywhere else it would be on cancellation road. Arnett's character has a sister and brother-in-law but they are so pathetic they don't deserve any more acknowledgment.

So sad

Author: yogi89 from Louisville, Oh
18 July 2015

I liked this show when it first came out but now they added Sean Hayes. They must have hit the mandatory "we need a gay character" time frame for the show to be renewed. Hayes is not funny and way over the top. I just watched my last episode and did not make it all the way through that, thankfully. The jokes are pushed and cheap always going for the crude jukes. That is fine from time to time but even the laugh track was dragging from being worn out at the sophomoric jokes. Time to dump this show or revamp the writing. These jokes work fine for a Saturday Night Live 5 minute short skit but not for a half hour comedy that can do much better with the cast assembled.

A funny show, but sadly ended quickly

Author: Taylor Kingston from Australia
2 November 2015

This was a really funny show. Sadly, it was only around for a year and a half. What annoys me the most is that it got to Season Two. That means they're supposed to be safe. But that isn't always the case. Just like dozens of other shows, this one says goodbye to the world.

This show is about a family. Parents get divorced, and then go to live with their children. Nathan gets his Mother, which doesn't impress him. And his sister Debbie, gets to have her Father living under the same roof as her again. A lot of ups and downs, this family goes through a lot.

Overall, I give this TV show an 8 out of 10, which in my ratings book is: Awesome.

Cute show

Author: Brianna_Trahern2 from United States
4 July 2015

I thought this show was very cute. And I liked how the kids were dealing with older parents who decided to divorce and who hated each other for years. Thought it very relevant.

However, when they brought on Sean Hayes the show went downhill. He just doesn't fit inside the cast. This cast was about a family. Mom, dad, a son and a daughter. And Daughters small family. It worked so well. I have no idea where "Kip" is supposed to fit in. I called it an 8 out of 10 and that was without Sean. With Sean, a 6 out of 10. I think more just need to see it.

How can 2 broke girls with their senseless sarcasm and sexual constant quips be so big and this gem is on the sidelines?

Greg Garcia created this mess?

Author: Mike Medina
18 October 2013

Occasionally, you find a show that takes a while to find its groove, like Scrubs. The Millers seems to think it has found it from the start. The talented cast seems ready and willing to dive headfirst into the roles with abandon, herein lies the big problem.

Almost everything here is so overblown that it is almost reaches farce level. Kinda like watching Scrubs, sans the whimsy, and the charm and the clever banter and smart humor and the likable characters. If the 1980 cult turd Flash Gordon was to be serialized, it would be and apt comparison to the tone of this mess.

Lets be honest, when Will Arnett is the actor showing the most restraint you either have a horrible idea or have no directorial control over the cast. Director Kevin Smith once mused that he was not strong enough to control Ben Affleck during the making if Dogma. The Millers leave you with similar feelings.