IMDb > "Star Trek Continues" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Wonderful Recreation Of TOS

Author: Lydia Gaebe Bishop from Near Seattle
12 June 2013

The "Season Four" opener is a perfect recreation of TOS, acting style, writing style,story elements, story theme, story pacing, sets, costumes, lighting, cinematography, SFX, everything is recreated perfectly.

Unlike the reviewer who thought it could have been more "professionally" produced, I think he missed the point. STContinues is a recreation of TOS. It has the look and feel of TOS, and a very professionally done look and feel. The audience should look at ST Continues like the historical recreations seen at Old Colonial Williamsburg or the folks who perform Civil War reenactments. Star Trek Continues is a historical reenactment of a forty-seven year old television show.

I wonder if the young and generally inexperienced cast studied not only TOS episodes, but other shows from the mid to late 1960s to learn the acting styles of that era? I wonder the same of the technical crew. Did they also study shows from the same era? Although their performances were uneven at times, it looks like they did indeed do their homework.

The guy who plays Kirk is an okay actor, give him some more training and he'd be great. As Kirk, his performance is spotty, not "spot on." As a mimic of Shatner's Kirk, he's got most of the body language down perfectly. His acting style is in the range of the 1960s original show.....borderline overacting! The overacting is part of the recreation of TOS.

The actor who plays Chekov looks like a young Walter Koenig. Physically he's the best match to an original cast member. Christopher Doohan who recreates his father's role as Scotty is okay. His Scottish accent is a bit forced, but with some dialect coaching he could easily perfect it. It's too bad he doesn't look much like his father, but at times I could see his father in some body language and at times I could catch glimpses of his father in his face.

Bringing Michael Forrest back as an aged Apollo was brilliant. (Just like bringing Ricardo Montalban back for "The Wrath of Kahn") For an actor in his early eighties he's still quite sharp and looking at his IMDb resume he's stayed quite active over the years. He was by far the strongest actor on this episode, but he did not overpower the younger and less experienced cast. His Shakespeare and classical training made his Apollo a compelling character.

I am totally, and favorably impressed by Star Trek Continues. I hope it does indeed continue.

I give it a ten for the quality of the production and its incredible recreation of a 1960s television show, but have to knock off three stars for the uneven acting performances.

Lovingly made - watch the whole episode!

Author: pocky fdadada
25 October 2013

What a treat for fans of the original series. Obviously the trekkies that joined us at the start of the last two movies will be scratching their heads, they have some back watching to do! At first it was very jarring to see the new actors, I thought they were terrible. But when I reached the end everything gelled, the "shock" of the new people had passed, and the feel of the episode was very genuine to watching the original series. Definitely watch to the end before reserving judgement as you will most likely come around.

About the actors - I was very pleased by most of the actors, they fit really well together. I feel very much that they are emulating the old show to continue the mission without mocking or exaggerating. Anyone can do a passable Shatner impression so I'm glad we were spared this. I thought the Spock actor was very much playing Quinto but it still worked and there was a lot of humor in it, he held himself well. Grant Imahara as Sulu is awesome! I just know with him in the show there must be some interesting robots/technology in the future, plus it's safe in his nerdy hands. Scottys son was great also, although he did stray from Scottish into an Irish accent at times but hey, his fathers accent was just as put on back then.

Production value - I feel like people are confused with the amazing productions we have today that it looks so low budget, but honestly it looks true to the original and I love it for that. There would not be a point to make the series without doing that. Having the same radio and com bleeps just takes you right back.

General message - I was ready to laugh at this, thought it might be someones fan fic / wet dream where Kirk dies and Bob nobody becomes the captain. So I was prepared for the worst, and seeing the new actors was hard and I poked fun at slip ups, but I was completely won over by the end. It felt exactly like an episode of the original series, even with the new characters, and the attention to detail was amazing.

So watch it, laugh at how weird it is seeing Grant as Sulu or Spock being far too Quinto, but do watch until the end, because if you are a fan of the original series this will definitely win a place in your heart. Of course it can never touch the original, but unfortunately many of those great actors have passed, so this is a great way to see how that original 5 year mission ends, in the way that the original team would have done it.

And remember old fans! If you are remembering things with rosy goggles of perfect acting, rewatch Spocks Brain!

Accomplishes exactly what it tries to do

Author: roy_imdb from United States
23 October 2013

The show does exactly what it set out to do -- recreate the look and feel of the original Star Trek. There are obviously those who will be unable to get past the different actors in the same roles (even more so than with the JJ Abrams films, because the films move in a completely different direction. And therein lies the strength and weakness of this production: the fans.

For this fan, the show was a joy to watch. I don't want to see a parody of James Shatner and the original crew, but rather another take on the same characters. Some are more successful than others, but overall (and especially for a first episode) they did a great job. Heck, go back to the early Next Generation episodes and see how cardboard-thin some of the characters were and how stiff some of the acting ones. OK, so Riker was stiff throughout the season…but I digress.

The more versions of Start Trek there are, the more splintered the fan base will be. Some purists loathe the new films with their blockbuster dependence on CGI, quick cuts and explosions. Some who were raised on Next Generation think everything else inferior. Personally I couldn't stand Voyager. So, watch the episode and decide for yourself.

A wonderful achievement, in both style and substance

Author: Adolphe Artin-d'Équin from Europe
8 March 2014

I am amazed. This is outstanding stuff. It succeeds thoroughly in its attempt to recreate the style and the substance of the original series from the 1960s. The love and respect for the original is obvious.

If you read the other reviews, you'll notice there seems to be a consensus: Star Trek Continues has outstanding production values. Productionwise, it is an absolutely wonderful, faithful recreation of the original series. It looks the same, it sounds the same, it feels the same. If you casually look at it without paying attention, you won't notice the difference: there is virtually none, apart from the main cast, obviously. A truly impressive achievement.

The general consensus also seems to be that the acting is slightly lacking. I tend to agree. But then again, the acting in the original series was also, quite frequently, rather lacking. And the other reviews here will tell you that while some are happy with say, the new Kirk and Spock, but dislike the new Scotty and Sulu, others feel just the opposite. So maybe it isn't all that bad, after all.

Like everyone else used to the original cast, I naturally felt the casting difference at first. But as everything else is so faithful to the model, it actually didn't take more than 15-20 minutes to accept this cast for what they are. Also, this is a first effort. As others have pointed out, none of the series quite hit the mark in the very first episode.

I especially liked Kirk, once I got used to him. Of course Mignogna isn't Shatner, but nobody is. Likewise, there is only one Nimoy. But if you want your actors to be exactly like the original ones, you can only be disappointed. Considering how excellent everything else is, I could certainly get used to this cast. And unlike a few others, I don't mind the addition of the new crew member at all.

What I feel should be emphasized, though, is the great script. It's a triumph of substance. The story is incredibly true to the original series. The theme, the pace, the dialogue, all of it rings true. This, combined with the amazing production values, means that if only we had the original cast here instead of the new actors, you wouldn't suspect that this was not an episode of the original series. That's how faithfully they've recreated Star Trek. Only in the very first scene ― an homage to future Star Trek series ― and in a particular exterior scene later do we sense that this is, after all, a 21st century production. And both cases, in my opinion, work rather well.

The negative reviews here so far seem to fall into two categories. A few criticize the fact that these actors don't look and act exactly like the original cast. If you're that demanding, of course, nothing will ever be good enough.

Other critics point out that this is just lame and old-fashioned: it looks and feels like something from the 1960s! Where is all the kewl stuff from the two latest films that modern technology makes possible? Well, I guess that is the point, isn't it?

So if you think the new films are great and the original series sucks, you probably won't like this. And if you think that the new films suck and the original series is nothing less than the Holy of Holies, you will possibly find this recreation blasphemous and sacrilegious. How dare they! Nimoy was 1½ in. taller than this guy!

But if you liked the original series for what it was, for better and for worse, and would like to see it recreated and continued in a thoroughly authentic and clearly respectful and loving fashion, chances are that you'll enjoy Star Trek Continues. Because I feel that it does just that: what its title says. In a time when precious little sci-fi deals with philosophical and ethical themes, and seems to be more concerned with fast pacing, constant action, and CGI effects, it's wonderful to see some refreshingly old-style focus on story, dialogue and characters, just like the original.

The bottom line is that overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this impressive first effort, and hope much more is to come in the future. If they keep up the good work, I wouldn't actually mind calling this Season 4. It's that close to the original ― not just in style, but also, and more importantly, in substance.

A fine job

Author: Jason Torres
24 October 2013

The cast and crew of "Star Trek Continues" have done a really great job of emulating the look and tenor of the original Star Trek series. Their objective is to complete the run of the original 5-year mission (hard to believe we only got 3 years of the original) and they're accomplishing just that.

These are true fans and master craftsmen. The sets and costumes are flawless and the writing and acting styles compliment the original series perfectly. All of the cast mirror their more-famous counterparts well, including all of their famous acting nuances (yup, Shatner's phrasing and pauses are here, but not played for comic effect.) The only weak spot acting-wise was Grant Imahara of Mythbuster's fame as Sulu. Grant's certainly passable but not as strong as Takei (who wasn't brilliant, but better.)

I think the first (and only complete) episode runs a little long for today's web-gen; 30-40 minutes would sit better, but this can sit proudly with the best of trek.

True to The Original Series

Author: justinsvalois from Milwaukee, WI
7 November 2013

OK, Im going to be honest. I grew up on TNG, and am not the biggest fan of TOS. Granted, I want to buy the full TV show and movie series.... cause ST is better than SW hands down, and always will be. Anyways, Now to my review.

I think this episode, was actually very VERY true to the original series. The acting is much the same, the props were well done, and they did a great job. I couldn't think of giving them less than 10/10 just because they aren't the original actors... (DUUH) They did an EXCELLENT job.

I watched the whole episode and enjoyed it very much... now I REALLY want to buy TOS....

Great job, and keep up the great work!

Great for a fan film

Author: Mysticz Worleyz
21 July 2013

An impressive work for a fan film. Duplicates the look of TOS, and an enjoyable story. On of the best fan films I have seen. I Like the fact that they brought back the original actor who played Apollo. The sets had that same cheesy look from the original series, the costumes, sets and spacesuits were dead on. They also used the original cues and soundtracks from TOS. Chris Doohan plays his father's role, as Scottie. Grant Imahara from myth-busters plays Sulu. It looks like a lot of time and effort was put into this film, and for no monetary gain. It would be nice if CBS brought this to regular TV again. There are few good SciFi shows on TV. Most shows billing themselves as scifi are actually Fantasy.

Cancel the reboot. Things are fine the way they were.

Author: Alfetta159 from United States
7 March 2014

I always knew that there were fan films based on Star Trek but never took the time to watch any. After all, with the later series and movies as well as the other sci-fi universes, I thought that I was well fed. Besides, the original series was a thing of the past: before the movies, high definition and CGI. But while listening to Vic Mignogna as a guest on the Mission Log Podcast, I found his zeal for the original series refreshing in how it reminded me of my own love of the original series. So I decided to watch an episode and I am just amazed at what an excellent job that Mr. Mignogna and his crew have done. They have so fluently captured the essence of the original series from the details like costumes and set decoration to the story which for the most part always tried to be a reflection of what was happening today. The blend of situations inspired by scenes we remember from the original series and new characters and story lines are perfect in making you feel that there is absolutely no need for a reboot. The Enterprise and her crew are just fine the way we remember them from the original series. Live long, and keep 'em coming.

Great acting, lighting, directing and (most importantly) *story*

Author: Russ Magee from Calgary, AB
3 November 2013

That is all. Watch it. Watch it again. Sleep, then watch it again the morning after. Any reservations you might have about the actors need another viewing to really understand the 'ethos' of ST:TOS :)

It captures the writing, acting, cinematography of the original series. Some very minor rough edges but of no consequence...

This should be considered canon for 'TOS' (The Original Series). CBS doesn't know what a treasure has fallen in its lap here and they should take advantage of it.

They should back this series officially and continue the voyage. Yes, standard-def and all :)

Surprisingly entertaining & faithful tribute to TOS

Author: quickwatson
16 April 2014

I decided to catch an episode of the fan-made series "Star Trek Continues," mainly because of guest star Lou Ferrigno, who starred in a movie I produced (Liberator). Frankly, I didn't have very high expectations; as most fan vehicles contain a sincerity-to-professionalism ratio of roughly 90 to 10.

Man, was I wrong! They NAILED every technical detail. Sets, costumes, cinematography, & VFX are all so close to TOS that the differences are virtually negligible, even on my 60 inch TV.

"Lolani" concerns the Orion slave trade, capturing the essence of TOS with heavily-laden metaphors. On a scriptwriting level, it falls somewhere between Season 3 episodes "Let That be Your Last Battlefield" (remember Frank Gorshin and his stark B&W makeup???) and "The Cloud Miners." Being that Miners dealt with capitalism and Battlefield dealt with race, for "Lolani" to compare favorably (both thematically and technically) this episode had a really high bar they had to climb.

Lou is formidable (and once again, GREEN!) He would've fit right in as a regular villain in TOS, had he been the right age for the role in 1969. He only has a handful of dramatic scenes, and his fight is not particularly convincing – but that's mainly due to the outcome, not the staging (which reflects TOS to a tee).

Vic Mignogna plays Kirk straight; minus Shatnerisms. He makes excellent dramatic choices that define classic Kirk. I just wish the register of his voice was lower.

Spock & McCoy don't fare as well. Spock has a highly reduced role in this episode, which is fine because Todd Haberkorn really doesn't have the gravitas to pull it off, especially a mind-meld. As Bones, Larry Nemecek also has very little to do, and could have been crankier. Should another episode prove to be heavily dependent on the classic "trio interaction," I think it might get uncomfortable to watch them struggle....

The rest of the acting is *meh.* Keeping in mind that the original supporting cast in TOS were not especially good actors to begin with, I guess I shouldn't be TOO disappointed. While these actors have a far way to go to, it's the OVERALL product I'm reviewing, so I'll give STC the benefit of the doubt and catch a few more. They can only get better!

All in all, STSC is a high quality effort that I enjoyed FAR MORE than the last Trek feature film. Give it a shot!

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]