IMDb > Sharknado (2013) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sharknado

Sharknado (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 25:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Like Finding Nemo but with all sharks...and tornadoes.

Author: halen13420 from New Orleans, Louisiana
11 July 2013

For anyone who hasn't seen the SyFy original movie, Sharknado; it's a heart-warming, coming of age story about a ragtag group of sharks uprooted from their home by mother nature's fury. The sharks must band together and overcome adversity and strife while trying, desperately, to make their way back to the only home they've ever known. Battling chainsaw wielding humans and B-list actors trying, desperately, to throw themselves into the displaced sharks' mouths every chance they get. If you love sharks and tornadoes, well...now you don't have to choose! Do yourself a favor and see this one before the Oscars! Sharknado is, truly, the cinematic experience of a lifetime.

Gloriously Incompetent and Gleefully Terrible

Author: flixspix from United States
12 July 2013

And yet with a group of pals you would be hard pressed to find a better time. Absolutely nothing make sense. Physics and natural laws are ignored. Horrible CGI and cringe-worthy dialog. Outrageous continuity exceeded only by horrible color correction and clunky editing. The all together wooden acting no doubt achieved in single takes is sincere, earnest and fails on levels that should win awards.

And you can't stop watching. My friends, yelled, laughed, joked, stomped, laughed some more and had a fine time. Now how many times can you say that watching a movie? It literally becomes an interactive experience.

It is surely a classic. Not sure exactly what kind. But it is a classic.

Best movie 2013

Author: vice_assault
12 July 2013

21 minutes into the movie and already a Jaws reference. My friend suggested The Avengers, or the Dark Knight. I said no, we're watching Sharknado. The best decision I've ever made in my life. The acting done by Tara Reid is amazing I feel like I was actually living her shark filled life story. The amazing CGI gave me nightmares, filled with sharks, tornadoes, and former adult film actresses. The movie was directed by Michael Bay's protégé, the lens flairs were amazing and blinded me with beauty. I truly feel that if someone ever breaks into my home, I will not grab my firearm, I will grab a trusty bar stool. The perfect weapon for any weapon need, from repelling flying sharks, to casual home usage. Never leave your trusty bar stool at home.

Best movie ever.

Author: Bob Welsh
12 July 2013

It started out as some drug dealing people or something, I wasn't really paying attention, and the Asian guy was like pew pew, and the other guy was like pew pew, and the sharks were like nm nm, and the crewmen were like AAAAAAAAAAAH! Then the sharks came on land and were like om nm nm!! And they were eating everyone and this reporter got eaten by a flying shark and then BAM! SHARK TORNADO! Oh yea, a bartender lady killed a shark with a cue stick somehow. And the sharks were flying and eating stuff and this guy got eaten but chainsawed his way out and VRRRRRM! He found some lady in there and they dropped bombs in the tornado cause yo lo and stuff. The shotgunned flying sharks, it was the best movie. Ever. I recommend it to everyone ever.

One of the funnest "bad movies" I have ever seen.

Author: dcamprobby from United States
12 July 2013

Listen--there is a certain kind of spectrum of movies. There are the hugely-budgeted blockbusters, and then the b-movies, which live in their own little world. You cannot watch a b-movie with the same eyes that you do a blockbuster. If you do, and if you are overly critical, you will probably not enjoy it, and Asylum Studios will just laugh at you.

I honestly loved this movie! The difference between this and a lot of b- movies is that this film was decently fast-paced--in a lot of low-budget films, they make a ridiculous monster or something, but barely ever show it, and just have lame dialogue in-between. But in this film, the action never stopped. There were flying sharks munching people at least every ten minutes or so. It was fun, and you could tell the people who made it had fun. For the budget that this movie had, I was very impressed. It was quite a ride!

A true work of art.

Author: davidkzoo
12 July 2013

This movie right here is a true wonder to the abilities of man kind. I recommend it to everyone. Truly the most entertaining movie I've seen in a very long time. I won't spoil it for you, but I will share some interesting facts that I have learned from this film with you:

1. If it is raining very hard and floods are occurring, the inside of your house will flood first.

2. If there is 2 feet of water, a 12 foot shark can not only swim with grace and elegance in it, the sheer speed it can reach before it leaps high and fast out of the water only to dive into that same two feet of water and disappear completely is truly astonishing.

3. If there is an EF5 tornado bearing down on Hollywood, not only do people continue about their daily lives as if the news isn't telling them (which they are) that a hurricane is indeed wreaking terrible destruction about the town and to evacuate, it can also be sunny out with perfectly blue skies. Then suddenly dark and overcast again. Then suddenly sunny again. Then sudden..... well, i think you get my point.

4. So if you really don't want to bother with the tornado that has been produced by this mega hurricane that everyone just totally ignored until it was literally right on top of them, just assemble a makeshift bomb out of an R sized oxygen tank (about 14" tall mind you), hop in a helicopter, fly over to that pesky twister, and blow it out of the sky with this amazingly powerful bomb.

5. You don't have to be an actor/actress to be in a movie.

So, in other words, do not miss this true gem. A modern masterpiece that will surely be winning some Oscars.

So bad its good!

Author: wolfenuwg from United States
11 July 2013

Acting... sub-par. CGI... laughable. This movie is so bad that it keep you laughing hysterically until the end. Physics, science, and common sense are all out the window though so don't expect it to make sense. Why? Because SyFy. One of the most curious things is what type of storm we're experiencing. Is it a hurricane? A tornado? A monsoon? Or just Superman? Maybe its all of the above. The cast is surprising though. Steve (Ian Ziering)from 90210 and Tara Reid may be better off turning their resume in to a temp agency at this point, but they do the best they can with campy dialogue. If there is a sequel, I hope it is called Sharknado v. Squidphoon.

Who goes to Burger King and expects Steak?

Author: Tony Cook
12 July 2013

Or should I say, who goes to Long John Silvers and expects lobster? In either case, I think there may be a disconnect between expectations and the reality of the promised delivery. Put your mind aside for a moment, unfocus your eyes, and dismiss anyone who seems like they'd be a member of the know-it-all audience before the show starts. It's a romp of sharks, tornadoes, weapons (some even improvised), crazy situations that produce even crazier solutions, camptastic back-stories with one-liner dialogs to boot and enough cherry syrup to supply a 1950's soda fountain for the whole decade. If you have a checklist of all the well known B-movie elements, you'd complete it by the end for sure. That is what it was designed to be, and that's what it proudly provides. So, are you down with embracing the absurd?

We're gonna need a bigger chopper!

Author: bobmaloogaloogalooga-712-778813 from Newcomerstown, Ohio
17 July 2013

Let me just say that I watched this movie to be entertained—not enthralled or hanging on the edge of my seat but just distracted and carefree for a couple of hours. I got what I wanted. Only, I didn't expect to laugh so much. I'm thankful for the laughter, though, because it kept at bay any sort of aesthetic sense that might have interfered with my viewing pleasure.

Regardless of genre, most movies are a construction of thoughtfully planned scenes, each of which presenting plot points and character motivations that, together, form a plausible narrative, allowing for the proverbial "suspension of disbelief." Such careful craftsmanship is never more important than at a film's beginning. The creators of Sharknado didn't bother with any of that.

There is an opening sequence involving a fishing boat on a stormy sea. On board a greedy captain in a raincoat and an Asian man in a three- piece suit squabble about money (presumably for some nefarious service performed by the captain). Handguns are soon brandished, bullets are fired, and chomping sharks are washed on deck by the waves (à la The Perfect Storm). People are shot or eaten, and a massive water spout filled with digitally-rendered sharks stretches into the sky. Then the opening credits begin rolling, and it's as if that scene never happened. Other than the brief preview of the "sharknado" to come at the end of the second act (yes, I'm taking some liberties by using standard film vernacular to describe this storyline), it was as if this scene was jumbled together from leftover footage of some other SyFy shark movie. Did this bother me? Nope. In fact, it wasn't until after the movie's end that I even remembered the ship's captain and the shootout on the water. By then, I was still grinning too much to care.

One grin-evoking moment occurs when Nova, the leading female character played by Cassie Scerbo, stabs a shark to death with a cue stick in a bar. While this isn't the first shark encounter for the protagonists or even the first shark-on-land encounter, it does seem to set the tone for the rest of the movie. Anthony Ferrante, the director, wants everyone to realize that this is not—and does not aspire to be—Jaws.

Though he need not worry about anyone mistaking this shark movie for Steven Spielberg's classic, Ferrante repeatedly makes references to it. I won't use terms such as "allusion" or even "homage" to describe these references. Perhaps "farcical" might be more appropriate, or maybe "comic relief," but even those terms lend themselves to a more contemplative critique than I am attempting.

I think Ferrante's purpose was to preemptively counter all would-be critics who might say things like "This is no Jaws." He could have just titled the movie Another Killer Shark Film That Is Not Jaws. But that would have been too self-effacing and certainly not as much fun.

In carrying out this strategy, Ferrante doesn't waste much time. Moments after the sharks begin plopping onto the streets and docks, Fin—a bar-owner, father and former pro-surfer played by Ian Ziering of Beverly Hills, 90210 fame—makes quick work of one by shooting a diver's air tank that is jutting out of its gullet, causing it and the shark to explode. Remind you of anything? Yep, there's even a corny one-liner: "That's what you get for trying to eat me."

Later we have a quasi-touching expository scene that reveals Nova's pre-established hatred of sharks. The character of Fin's son, Matt, played by Chuck Hittinger, notices an unusual scar on Nova's thigh. To get her to talk about it, he lifts up his shirt and reveals a scar on his abdomen and explains its not-so-dramatic origin. When he asks Nova how she got her scar, she says she had a tattoo removed. Not buying it, Matt prods further and Nova tells a story about going fishing with her grandfather and his friends when she was a little girl. She says that their boat sank and sharks began to circle and attack them. The men managed to lift her out of the water and onto something floating nearby, but a shark still managed to take a hunk out of her leg. In summation, Nova says: "Six people went into the water and one little girl came out. The sharks took the rest."

The scene in Jaws in which Robert Shaw's character Quint tells the tale of the sinking of the USS Indionapolis is arguably one of the most memorable scenes in film history. Ferrante knows this. Nova's scar story, in a tongue-in-cheek sort of way, serves to again make the director's statement: "I am aware of Jaws, as is everyone in the civilized world, and this is not that movie!"

Later, this same point is made again, this time even more comically and pointedly. After fabricating some propane bombs, Nova and Matt take to the skies in a helicopter to hunt the tornadoes. Matt flies perilously close to one of the funnel clouds so that Nova can toss one of the bombs into it. She sees an enormous shark coming straight at them and declares: "We're gonna need a bigger chopper."

If you want to be moderately entertained, then I don't think you will be disappointed with Sharknado. Don't expect too much going into it—and bring with you a willingness to suspend your own sense of disbelief. Most important, keep in mind that this is not Jaws. I don't think that fact will slip you mind, however. The director made sure of it.

unbelievably bad

Author: topping65 from United States
11 July 2013

I do believe this is the worst movie I have ever seen. I know this channel is infamous for terrible movies and I have seen most of them.So I came in with very low expectations and I was still stunned. I have never seen a movie so chopped up and put together.One minute there are tidal waves of water & tornadoes, dry streets and sunny skies the next.The surfing scene is a great example of what I'm talking about. Everything is beyond preposterous and no explanations given. The budget for this movie must have been a Lincoln and a pack of gum. It's actually so bad, that it's not even funny. You're too busy going wha tha fa to even laugh.The terrible and ridiculous ending is the perfect way for this movie to end.

Page 1 of 25:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]