IMDb > "The Crazy Ones" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Crazy Ones"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Crazy Ones" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Secret Sauce,,, THANK YOU

Author: handplow123 from United States
28 September 2013

I know this show will not be everybody's cup of tea. That said, I think I'll have another helping! I used to work as a copywriter at a radio station; the crazier we were, the better it was. I worked with people like Simon and Zach as well as Sydney. My 14-year old looked at me and said, "Oh, my gosh, Mom, Simon is YOU!" Sooo, I guess you know who I was in the little equation at work!

I love the relationship between the elder statesman (HA!) -- Simon -- and the young Jedi trainee -- Zach. I love the off-the -cuff repartee. I love how they think on their feet. And I love the fire-rapid dialog.

I want to get to know more about these characters. I want to see them develop.

All I am saying is: Give "Crazy" a Chance....

David E Kelly at his best!

Author: artdumoi from Montreal
26 September 2013

The pilot was really fast paced, the 20 minutes felt like 5 but I already love all the characters. Definitely Ally Mc Beal 2.0. A bunch of Crazy people with a lot of heart. Can't hardly wait to know them a little bit more and to explore their universe. All the actors have great chemistry together especially Robin Williams and Sarah Michelle Gellar. James Wolk was a nice revelation and on top of that Kelly Clarkson was hilarious. Yep, this is great TV. The show has so much potential, I hope the writers will meet my expectations. The next episodes should focus a little bit more on the father / daughter relationship. This is where, IMO, The Crazy Ones could stand out of the crowd and became a nice "dramedy".

A good mix

Author: Zubacz from Czech Republic
4 October 2013

I don't quite understand where the low rating comes from. I thought this show delivered very good comedy. There is some cheesy humour, but there are also great metaphors and references to films. I found a lot of the dialogue to be smart and well written. Robin Williams carries most of the comedic value, as can be expected. It often seems a lot in his scenes is spontaneous, which works out great. Sarah Michelle Gellar does not deliver many laughs on her own, and her acting seems a bit stiff, but then again this demeanor fits her character. The other cast fit well, although it's difficult to get used to Hamish Linklater in a role so different than in Newsroom. Overall, definitely one of the better comedy shows on TV.

Loved it!

Author: cbsodile from United States
28 September 2013

I'm a die-hard Robin Williams fan (he's a comedic genius) and now a new fan of this show. I thought it was funny, witty and fast-paced. I wanted it to be an hour long, not 30 minutes! The relationship between Williams and Gellar as father and daughter works; he's nutty and she's not, but they both can change. Even the assistant ("Smell my shampoo") is hilarious. If the next few episodes are as good as the pilot, I'm sold. There were so many quick throw-away lines that we watched it again, and laughed even more. If/when they cast Pam Dawber as SMG's mother, it's perfection! Good supporting cast too, and more star cameos would be great. "The Crazy Ones," a comedy spin-off of "Mad Men," get it? Much less dark and bitter, more milk chocolate than bittersweet. Thanks, David E. Kelly! Loved it!

A great laugh-out-loud show

Author: Shopaholic35 from Australia
2 February 2014

I know critics haven't been very kind with this show but as a viewer I really find it fresh and funny.

The cast is fantastic and the father-daughter relationship between Simon (Williams) and Sydney (Gellar) seems genuine. I feel like this show allows you to see the comedic genius process that happens behind closed doors for Robin Williams. It may feel insane and extreme at times but it comes across as a real workplace.

I think this show will continue for a while as each episode feels new and there will always be a new client for them to base the episode around. It's a really enjoyable show and makes me laugh each week. I will definitely stay tuned.

Fast, smart, and brilliant comedy with very poignant moments.

Author: Michael Danielson (mail4.essence@gmail.com) from Olympia, WA
27 September 2013

Robin Williams is finally back to doing what he's always done best -- off-the-cuff riffing on whatever subject you put in front of him. He's brilliant. While America's sense of humor has changed a bit since Mrs. Doubtfire, Williams' ability to turn his incredible sense of humor into a source of drama (it's obvious that his characters' silliness is a response to his own desperation) shows that as an actor, he's gone from silly to serious and come back out the other side with a remarkable ability to showcase the two simultaneously and sensitively.

Sarah Michelle Gellar is perfectly cast in her role, as a foil for Williams. Her ability to (act like she can) see the serious and important sides of absurd and silly situations -- honed to a keen point in Buffy -- is exactly what Williams' character needs to have the truth of his tragicomic situation highlighted.

Also, this is the first show that I've ever seen where the unabashedly promiscuous person (Zach/James Wolk) is a guy -- and it's AWESOME! The way that everyone treats him (the line was something like "Zach, lose a layer. If it goes badly, two.") is perfect. ("To be safe, I'm going to need some meat. Zach! Vaya con queso, amigo!") I realize that Zach is theoretically supposed to be the main character of the show, and honestly, he's *almost* able to hold his own next to Williams and Gellar. Give him a few episodes, and he'll shine. He's pretty and obviously a great actor, and I can't wait to see him blossom.

This show isn't going to appeal to everyone -- it's paced like Scandal, has the emotional volatility of the Newsroom, and the pop culture references of Franklin & Bash. ("Lopez wants to be paid in diamonds, Aidelle is British...and Pink threatened me.") The problem is that it's billed as a zany comedy/Mad Men with Robin Williams, but the truth is that it's actually a very dramatic story hidden beneath zaniness, and a lot of people are going to have a problem with that.

Hope they keep up the good work!

Author: radiccluka
27 September 2013

I decided to watch this show only because of Sarah Michelle Gellar and Robin Williams and didn't have any expectations. But I am very happy with what I got.

The Pilot was over before it started which can mean only one thing-I didn't get bored.It was constantly funny,but not laughing out loud funny,it was subtle and constant.

Robin is his usual self,I think there is a lot of improvising on his behalf and I like it.

Sarah is very natural in her role and I can see her as updated version of Ally McBeal. She has a comedic bone in herself but didn't get much chance in The Pilot to prove herself in that area(although there was a great moment where she is watching some McDonalds executive fall for her colleague's charm and she makes a face,it was so funny). But in every dialogue with Robin there is so much chemistry. Especially where there is only two of them in the scene. It's like they know each other their whole life,just like father and daughter. (Not very usual to see these days on TV)

The rest of the cast will hopefully get to shine in next episodes but I will mention James Wolk's character which is very likable.

I really hope they keep up the good work and get people to know them better.

Williams and Gellar are back on TV and it's looking good again!

Author: Chuck Macklin from NYC Metro
26 September 2013

I watched the pilot and had a good time! I thought the writing and acting were way above what we usually get in network television shows. I usually only watch cable weekly series because the writing is smarter and has more depth than the networks. But I thought this show had pretty decent writing. Although, I am almost certain they're letting Robin have a lot of improvisational play room! So far I'm mostly liking everyone in it. I'm only having a slight problem with Amanda Setton's character, the pretty dark-haired assistant. Her repeated "fake" laughs at almost everything Robin's character says could get annoying. As far as the two leads, I think both Robin and Sarah are well-matched. They both seem comfortable and natural in their parts individually and with each other. Robin's always been very quick with his delivery, but Sarah's a smart actress and is keeping up with him fine. (BTW, I didn't see her one-season-only flop last year. But I loved her in BTVS and in all of her movies I've seen.) Besides the comic timing needed in this, it also looks like they'll be dealing with some honest real-life-like touching moments. Sarah has always been brilliant at that and Robin's acting in that department can also be very heartfelt.

I think the show's off to a pretty good start and has a decent shot at some longevity, especially with David E. Kelley as its creator and exec producer. He's had tons of success in the past with shows like Picket Fences, Chicago Hope, The Practice, Ally McBeal, Boston Public and Boston Legal. Not a bad resume! So I wish this one luck and will definitely be tuning in to see where it goes. BTW, I loved Kelly Clarkson's bitchy side in this episode. LOL! I hope they have other known celebrities making cameos in future episodes! It could keep the story lines fresh from week to week, kind of like what they're doing on Web Therapy. (OMG, I just compared a network show to a well-written cable series! Well, maybe it does have a pretty damn good chance!) I gave this pilot a rating of 8/10 stars.

Dull boring dross

Author: Rusticcrayon from United Kingdom
17 April 2014

My wife and I were invited to watch a secret screening of a show while we were staying in Las Vegas, which turned out to be an episode of "The Crazy Ones".

I will say straight of the bat that my wife and I are British so this does mean we may not necessarily agree with how Americans may see this show.

Anyway we both watched the episode where the office gets a cold and they have to launch a doll. We had to track how much we laughed or found the script entertaining from 0 - 10, with 0 being get me out of here this is the worst, through to 10 were everyone should be laughing out loud. Anyway after watching the show for what seemed like an age it ended and I realised I hadn't even moved the dial to more that a 4 which was when the credits came up as I felt relief that this show was over. I asked my wife whether I had missed something as I didn't find the show funny in the slightest and the humour was extremely basic, almost virgin on what I might expect my children to watch on a Disney channel show. She also agreed that this was very basic and unoriginal and didn't laugh at all through the show.

This was a real shame as Both my wife and I like Robin Williams, but the script in the show was just so weak not even he could lift it to any level. As for the rest of the characters neither my wife or I can remember any of them as they didn't engage us at all and we really didn't care what happened to them.

The show tries to be clever but approaches things in such a childish manner it fails badly. Unfortunately this show sums up the stereo type view of humour the British have of American sitcoms - childish, basic and predictable As it happens this show hasn't made it to British shores which I guess means at least someone filtered this dross from spreading any further. But maybe this show reflects American culture and we Brits wont get it, after all the our shows, such as the Office, Inbetweeners, Queer as folk etc..... didn't translate well into US series.

David E. Kelly needs a new muse

Author: plex from United States
7 March 2014

I put the failure of this show directly on Kelley's shoulder. It may make some bank, and its insipidly inane enough enough to gain traction on the mostly senile audience which is CBS ( see Two Broke Girls, Mike & Molly, & the lets beat a dead horse show: 2.5 Men,). Sure, CBS would be foolish to pass up a Kelley pitch for a new show, he has had a solid career. Sure, the producers would be foolish to pass up Robin Williams. With a career that encases "Good Morning Vietnam, Mrs. Doubtfire, Awakenings, and Good Will Hunting" along with historical stand-up that goes back to the 70's Troubadour, and Mork & Mindy, like him or not, thats a resume just about any performer would be proud to have. But just as Robin lost his mojo when got sobered up, so has Kelley when he didn't change with the 2010's. The show is plastic and one-dimensional with no dynamics or climax. The supporting characters are annoying, weak and vapid. Once again, we get another sitcom based in the ad-agency world, which resembles nothing to the ad-agency world, which I could have forgiven had the show been more likable and credible, and the supporting cast ( which has experience) be more supportive and less self-aware. The only few bright moments are Williams ad-libs, but even those are watered-down for prime-time, and draw from a less inspired place.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]