IMDb > The Secret Life of Pets (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Secret Life of Pets

The Secret Life of Pets More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 23:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Me and my son Muhammad loved it .

Author: muslimbellydancer from Egypt
11 July 2016

Inside of a Manhattan apartment building, a terrier named Max (Louis C.K.) lives a pampered life with his owner Katie (Ellie Kemper) and hangs out with other pets like Chloe (Lake Bell), Mel (Bobby Moynihan), Buddy (Hannibal Buress), and Sweet Pea (Tara Strong). One day, Katie adopts a large, sloppy, hairy dog called Duke (Eric Stonestreet) from the pound. Max gets jealous when Katie pays more attention to Duke. Annoyed with Max's condescending attitude, Duke tricks Max into traveling far into the city, where they are attacked by a gang of cats, including Ozone (Steve Coogan). The cats remove Max and Duke's collars, causing them to both be caught by Animal Control. Duke fears that he will now be put down if he ends up back at the pound. They are rescued by a white rabbit called Snowball (Kevin Hart), who Max and Duke convince that they are vicious, abandoned pets.

Snowball brings Max and Duke into the sewers where they meet his cult of abandoned or mistreated animals called "The Flushed Pets," who despise humans. Believing that Max and Duke hate humans, they invite them to join the group. They go through an initiation which involves being bitten by a one-fanged viper. Max and Duke kill the snake and Snowball finds out they're domesticated; the Flushed Pets chase them out and Max and Duke escape to the Brooklyn harbor. Snowball vows to kill them for lying, and sets off to find them.

When Gidget (Jenny Slate), a white Pomeranian who has a crush on Max, finds out that he is missing, she recruits a savage red-tailed hawk called Tiberius (Albert Brooks) to help look for him. After being interrogated by the pair, Ozone directs them to the sewer. Gidget, Mel, Buddy, Chloe, Norman (Chris Renaud), Sweet Pea, and Tiberius trek across the harsh metropolitan environment in search of Max and Duke, with help from a paralyzed elderly Basset Hound called Pops (Dana Carvey). The group encounters Snowball, who vows to kill them as well. They escape, but Norman is later captured.

Having worked together to escape from their misadventures with Animal Control and Snowball's Flushed Pets, Max and Duke begin to see a more positive side to each other's company. They raid a sausage factory, indulging in large amounts of sausage, and Duke opens up to Max about a previous owner of his named Fred, who lived in Brooklyn. Fred had adopted Duke as a puppy and raised him lovingly, but one day when he ran outside the house to chase after something, he became lost and was taken by Animal Control, and Fred seemingly never came for him. Although Duke isn't sure about whether or not Fred would want to see him again, Max convinces him that Fred would rejoice upon seeing him again and convinces Duke to set out in search of his former owner. They arrive at the right house, only to find out from a cat living there that Fred has died after Duke left. Morose and hurt, Duke accuses Max of trying to get rid of him and barks at the new owners of the house, who report him as a stray. Once again he is caught by Animal Control, while helping prevent Max from the same fate.

Max follows the truck, planning to rescue Duke, but he is pursued by Snowball and some of his Flushed Pets. When Snowball's henchmen are subsequently also taken by the Animal Control as a result of the pursuit, Max and Snowball join forces to rescue their respective cronies. They chase down the Animal Control truck using a city bus, crashing it on the Brooklyn Bridge and stopping traffic. More of Snowball's gang appear and, unaware of Max and Snowball's new alliance, they try to kill Max on the Brooklyn Bridge until Gidget and the others save him. The truck starts to slide off the bridge; Snowball's captured Flushed Pets escape, but the truck falls into the East River with Duke and Max inside. Max tries to unlock Duke's cage, but the keys float away. Snowball jumps off the bridge into the water and brings Max the spare keys. Max rescues Duke and they get back to the surface, as the truck sinks to the bottom.

Using a taxi, all of the pets go back to the apartment district. Max displays his admiration for Gidget, who returns his feelings. Snowball reluctantly allows himself to be adopted by a little girl and the other Flushed Pets return to the sewers. The other pets return to and embrace their owners when they return and Max and Duke finally reunite with Katie, sparking a new friendship.

In a mid-credit scene, Snowball invites Mel and Buddy (dressed as a Minion from Despicable Me and a Barbaloot from The Lorax, respectively) to a party hosted by a rock obsessed poodle named Leonard. However, it is immediately interrupted when Leonard's owner shows up. Although Leonard attempts to cover it up completely in presence of his owner, a chandelier crashes on the floor with one of the Flushed Pets, Tattoo, who had attended the party and attempted to hide in it.

Funny, Lighthearted, and Appropriate for All Ages!

Author: evilpinklolita from Anchorage, AK
28 July 2016

I'm surprised this film got such a low overall score by users. I thought is was a blast. I am not an animated movie fan in the least. I normally like dark movies, dramas, sci-fi, and horror. This was the first animated film I have seen since Avatar, (which isn't the same type of animation really,) but when I watched the trailer last year, I thought it would probably be good. And it was.

The movie delivered exactly what it promised: laughs. It's not earth shattering, mind blowing, and it doesn't explain the meaning of life in 90 minutes. But it's not that type of movie. It's a summer escape film, one that is a little different from the 1000th superhero movie or Sequel #10 of The Current Film of Mediocrity, and one that you can bring your children to without worrying about covering their eyes and ears every scene. There are a couple of scenes of mild violence or almost violence, but they aren't any worse than Bugs Bunny and his adventures with the Roadrunner (I suppose that reference dates me lol).

What I liked the best about the movie is the way it demonstrates the thoughts and behaviors of the pets to the viewer. As a Great Dane owner, I often wonder what my dogs are thinking/doing, especially when I'm at work, and my ideas are similar to the writers. Their thoughts and conversations were the funniest parts of the film, and the scenes and soundtrack combined with the dialogue to form a lighthearted, enjoyable story.

Worth to watch

Author: dalysman from Lithuania, Europe
9 August 2016

I was waiting for this movie since first trailer was launched. And when i had opportunity to watch it, i was more than happy. Great story line, reminds me Garfield and his new "friend" dog. Many characters such as lazy cat and hamster who can't find his way home made movie incredible funny. I love Kevin Hart voice and his expressions being that little, loud and angry bunny makes it more interesting. The writing was excellent, made my mom, youngest sister, and myself constantly laugh. To the targeted demographic that the film focuses on, this film will be a sure fire box office hit to them. I hope that there will be a second part of this life of pets.

the secret life of pets

Author: Paul Windle from London, England
4 August 2016

I went to see this with my sister and my cousins and we enjoyed it. It was funny silly and my favorite illumination movie it's worth a watch and it is definitely better than minions it is fun for the whole family. I could not stop laughing at this movie it so many great characters. the cast is pure amazing my favorite character was Kevin Hart's character snowball he was the most funniest character in the movie I don't know why this movie has a 6.8 it should have at least a 7.8. It brought me laughs from beginning to end. This movie will hopefully inspire illumination to make make new franchises next or you know despicable me 3 it's defiantly going to be that.

I Always Wondered What My Dog was Thinking!

Author: dhainline1 from United States
2 August 2016

Max is your ordinary terrier who loves his mistress Katie and he waits with baited breath for her return every night from work. His friends also wait for their owners, but not with the dedication Max has! Leonard, a large poodle plays rock music when his proper owner who loves classical goes to work, while Chloe a rather snobby cat pushes away her bowl of cat food when her owner goes to work. Gidget a small white dog who loves Max watches soaps while a pet bird pretends he is a fighter plane. Everything in Max's world with Katie changes when she brings home a large brown dog named Duke who steals Max's bed and food. Max wants Duke out of the picture and in the real world when the dog walker Katie hires doesn't do his job right, Max seems to get his wish. However,things turn out bad when Max along with Duke get picked up as strays and it is up to Chloe and Gidget to get them back. Chloe and Gidget hire a scavenger bird and a crazed white bunny named Snowball to get Max and Duke back.

This is a very funny story about the way our pets see the world and how they see us! Max learns to love Duke even though he doesn't want to share his owner with him and both are lucky to have Katie in their lives. I recommend this movie to all pet owners!

A great animated film for all pet lovers

Author: Julia Arsenault (ja_kitty_71) from Canada
27 July 2016

I got curious about this movie after seeing the trailers. Then my mom and I saw it in the theatre; I thought it is another great animated movie of the year. Also Max & Gidget are my favorite characters.

The story is about Max living a good life in his New York apartment with his beloved owner Katie. That is until Katie brings home a big, shaggy stray name Duke, who Max thought is trying to muscle in on his happy home. One day during a walk with the dog-walker, the resentive Duke tricks Max into travelling far into the city, and they are attacked by a feral cat gang in an alley. The cats remove Max and Duke's collars and the dogs are caught by the city's Animal Control. Fortunately the two dogs were saved by a rogue band called "The Flushed Pets". That is all I could tell you folks.

I don't have a favorite scene (as I said many times), because I love the whole film from beginning to end. I also love the movie's humor and great animation. One more thing to point out is that Max was so cute as a puppy! So overall, this is a great film for all pet lovers.

Will do for pets, what Toy Story did for toys

Author: DarkVulcan29 (DarkVulcan29@aol.com) from United States
5 August 2016

Well known Pets are friends in the neighborhood, until one incident separates two dogs from there owner, there friends who are also pets must band together to find them.

The movie makes you realize the joy of having a pet, made me remember my dog who passed away years ago. The voice actors really do well with there characters. It's a fun adventure and misadventure also. The animation is amazing, not Toy Story amazing, but amazing. Awesome to see all kinds of animals working together. Kids and adults I believe will enjoy this. Will make really enjoy owning a pet, and what a pet means to you.

An instant classic

Author: jjzarelli from New York, NY
11 July 2016

Just saw this hilarious, heartwarming and inspiring movie with my grandchildren. The jam- packed theater was literally rocking with the joyous giggles and laughter of the children. However, at times, the kids' delighted outbursts were overwhelmed by the raucous guffaws of adults appreciating the keen, sophisticated sense of humor of the director. As a native New Yorker, I was especially impressed that an animated film could truly capture the essence and heart of our wonderful city. I wasastinished to see so many people leaving the theater getting right back on line to purchase tickets for future performances; as dozens of people had been turned away from this showing and those for the remainder of the weekend . This is a wholesome, must-see movie for pet lovers and children of all ages! Don't miss it!

A great movie for kids, greatly animated, AMAZING music, great story line, FUNNY!

Author: kanssdev from Chicago
9 July 2016

Amazing. The trees were all vibrant colors, the pets had amazing animation. The city itself was so detailed I wondered how long it took to make. The water flows so nicely. The jokes were hilarious, tons of kids (and adults) laughed and giggled the whole time. Although seeming very intense at times, the music flows great and goes great with the story line. This movie teaches a slight bit of friendship, and adaptation. I rate this 10/10 because I find it very understandable, laughable, and friendly. All in all, a great movie to watch with the whole family. Also, each character has its own personality which adds to the movie!

Well written, enjoyable movie

Author: tazdaddy23 from United States
10 July 2016

I was thoroughly entertained by this movie. The writing was excellent, made my wife, youngest son, and myself constantly laugh, which isn't always easy for all 3 of us, simultaneously. The character development for these characters was interesting, as we were shown many facets of their psyche, which made it even more entertaining. I was waiting for the spot in the movie that would make me roll my eyes, as I find in most animated movies I have previously viewed, but it never happened. The adding of the little Minions vignette was hilarious to me, but not my family, which is fine, especially since I haven't seen either one of the Despicable movies, nor the Minion movie. A great family movie, 10 out of a 10 for me was a must...!!

Page 1 of 23:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]