IMDb > "The Affair" (2014) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Affair"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Affair" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

brilliantly shot show, told like a book!

Author: Undomestic-Goddess from Australia
30 November 2014

The affair is a deliberately slow- paced,beautifully shot,compelling show. The 2 main characters recount their truth in regards of the forming of "the affair" with a crime mystery in the background as an excuse to do so . We, as viewers,must decide and deduct our truth from their accounts. I love the psychological aspect of this show. In fact it's the main reason for my watching. How a very same event is viewed and felt and told differently from the people who experienced it.If you enjoy this show, I would recommend you also read "The One" by Vivienne Harris-Scott. The premise is nearly the same: what happens when 2 people fall in love when they should not.Each chapter is told from one person's Pov as Alison and Noah's, and it is as compelling to read, if not more,as there is also a suspense element. In fact, I had Déjà- vu when watching the first 3 episodes!Anyhow, with this as with H.Levi's " in treatment " Showtime has hit the jackpot. A mature and sophisticated audience will thoroughly enjoy this.

A surprising plot and pacing wins big

Author: lalecture from United States
7 November 2014

I thought Id give this a try and was thoroughly impressed. I was immediately sucked in to the story. I won't spoil it for anyone, but if you like an intriguing and dynamic drama with complex characters and a storyline that keeps you on your toes, then give The Affair a try. The writing is clever and the direction makes what could be an average drama about a love affair into a real page turner. Thank god it's on Showtime because the Networks would tank this show if they had the chance. Well do Showtime for picking this up. Ruth Wilson is incredible in her role. Check her out in Luther as well. She is so well cast in her role as Allison, as is Dominic West who knocked it of the park in The Wire. I love that Showtime has chosen a couple of Brits for this American drama. Right now, this is the show I look forward to most each week, just as I did for Game of Thrones when is was on and that's saying something!

Slow Beginning, Lots of Promise - More for Female Audience

Author: asiegel-8 from Phoenix, AZ
18 October 2014

I have only seen the first episode. The show was split into two halves; first from the male's perspective and second from the female's perspective recalling the same events. I can only assume by the title the two lead characters have an affair at some point.

The first episode starts out very slow, walking you through each of these folks daily lives and through the first time they met. Because this is from two perspectives it is up to the viewer to decide what to believe. Sometimes the differences are huge, who saved the life of the little girl in the restaurant, and sometimes they are subtle, such as the lead females hairstyle or length of her waitress uniform. From this episode he seems intrigued by her because she brings a calmness to him, she seems to care about people, and she makes him feel excited - unlike other women who flirt with him. For her, he is the husband and family man she has wanted in her life. Her life was supposed to be different and she does not know how to handle it as the episode reveals.

This may be one of those shows that would have made a better movie, I'm not sure yet. The premise and tone of the show, female audience will enjoy this. I can tell there is no way my husband would ever watch this show without complaining all through it. I am intrigued and will keep watching.

Brilliant narrative, well written!

Author: prettymoni1 from United States
26 April 2015

Love this series, the way the episodes play out showing both sides of the story from two different perspectives is brilliant. The acting is superb! Ruth Wilson won best actress award for her character in this show, and well deserved! I only wish Dominic West had also won, although he was nominated! Anyone who gives this series a bad review simply does not understand great writing! It's very intriguing to see how two sides to the same story are similar, yes, but very different at the same time! I thought I would just like the show and maybe watch it "On Demand" when nothing else was on, but I love this show and can not wait to see what the writers have planned for season 2!

Nothing Good Ever Happens in an Affair

Author: fitzzi-121-364532 from Florida
3 November 2014

Strictly from a man's perspective, who has gone through an affair, I really like the way this series is heading. To me, the subject matter is not anything we have'nt seen before, but the way the story is being told is just brilliant. To use both versions of the events that take place is presented in a way that does'nt seem repetitive. We do however in episode 4 see how both versions of the affair become similar and the story continues to move forward. What does kind of get lost is this so-called murder investigation, which I'm sure will become more apparent as the series continues. I believe what captivates me the most is the stellar performances by the actors. You can honestly feel the chemistry between them and that's what separates this series from others with a similar subject matter. But, in the end, and I've experienced it, nothing good ever comes about from an affair.

Complex and disturbing and alluringly thought provoking.

Author: myloveincruz from United States
30 October 2014

Setting: Picturesque, folksy, idyllic, New England seaside tourist/fishing village town. Plot: Male (Dominic West) novel writing work/summer vacation with wife and children, meets and gets drawn into the life of married local woman (Ruth Wilson).

Appreciate the complexity, undisclosed undercurrents, the conflicted psychology of the main characters, all the while, aware of the cloaked elephant in the room.

Story told similar to True Detective's style with the detective's interviews of the affairees shown remembrances, somehow relating to whatever is going to happen. One half is his side, the other half, hers.

Lots of sideways glimpses of character and intentions, challenging what you thought you understood.

Shows promise

Author: valinvancouver from Canada
15 October 2014

I think the premise is promising and the pilot was solid. It's split into two parts, from the perspectives of each of the future adulterers, who have markedly different recollections of the same events.

Other reviews I've read seem to emphasize the "unreliability of memory" angle but I think there's more going on, as the lead characters are recounting the events to what is presumably an officer in a police interrogation room. The pictures they paint of themselves, and of each other, are clearly fabricated to some degree. The question is, by how much.

I have to fill this review out a bit more so I will say it's got some good actors. I just saw Dominic West in "Pride" which was a very good, true to life movie. I'm also pleased to see Joshua Jackson again, after Fringe ended it's run. Excellent show if you can just get through the bulk of the first season.

As with life, love, and intimate pleasure it's a tale of two sides, this series is one hot guilty pleasure!

Author: Danny Blankenship from Petersburg, Virginia
13 November 2014

Been watching "The Affair" this fall on Showtime and I must say it's one hot new series that keeps you on the edge of your seat as each episode is told in two half like ways. And you get a different take on events and happenings from each of the main two characters Noah and Alison and each episode shows happenings thru flashbacks all centered around the hot intimate affair of Noah and Alison, all of this is centered around a hidden possible murder mystery. The tale is set one summer with Noah(Dominic West)a writer and teacher who decides to take his children and wife Helen(Maura Tierney)to the Hamptons and stay for a get away vacation at his in-laws' estate island. Soon upon arrival Noah meets Alison(Ruth Wilson)a married local waitress who's lived in the area all of her life. Right off the two hit and soon a hot and intimate lust affair of sex and sleeping around happens with these two. Both of these characters Noah and Alison have baggage and burned pasts with skeletons in their closets as Alison has pain and a tragedy still she is one hot sexy lady that looks good wearing colored bras!(look for Ruth Wilson to be a hot new star) Overall this series is a fun treat that let's the viewer escape showing what it's like to have an affair as many of us have fairy tale wishes of an affair just like this one.

Weak At Best: Thin Plot Lines, Thick On Cliché

Author: rotex29 from Canada
8 November 2014

Nothing is worse than an affair without "commitment. The leads in this show who are consumed with cheating on their spouses to fulfil some unknown reasons only privy to themselves, spend more time questioning their behaviors than indulging in them. This leaves the watcher to question exactly what they are watching... Are they more interested in insuring that they can appease their own consciences with rationalization of their actions, or as in many scenes they appear to be constantly looking for a way out, most likely due to the fact their relationship seems to make no sense at all? They don't seem to care about displays of public affection in what is a small town, where everyone knows each other's business, there is no accountability to spouses or children as to their whereabouts, they have wanton disregard for the other's feelings and there is constant dramatic tension within the confines of their sexual relationship, as they seem to be having second thoughts mid orgasm. Thus, the lack of commitment, originality, and completely filled with cliché that accompanies any affair. The premise of them telling their story two different ways to a detective investigating a murder which is again is cliché filler, and for what unknown reason written into the story line, is an interesting premise however, but gets old just four episodes in. How the writers will fill in another dozen episodes should be interesting. Please write something to keep our attention!

a shocking loss of direction at the end

Author: Steve in Canmore from Canada
11 February 2015

We loved this show -- until we came to the extraordinarily clunky ending to Season 1. The acting is simply brilliant. All the major characters have depth. And the exploration of memory and its vagaries is wildly engaging. We thought we were watching the birth of a new t.v. classic -- something that could stand up alongside great shows like "Breaking Bad" or "The Wire."

And then we got to Episode 10. The writers completely lost interest in the show's driving mystery: who killed Scotty? They lost the plot around memory. The gap between what and how Alison and Noah remember things becomes Himalayan in Episode 10: nothing gets across it, and this important register ends up losing all productive resonance. At the end, the writers surrendered to some kind of stampede mentality -- a rush to the big "reveal" that Alison and Noah are now together, a child in the wings, an uncertain future on their horizon. Fine, OK, but what about the story we've been watching?

Ultimately, the writers let Season 1 lose narrative integrity simply so that they could guarantee a Season 2. What a cop out! And one that wouldn't matter at all if the show hadn't appeared to be so promising.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]