IMDb > Kill Command (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Kill Command

Kill Command More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

When low budget sci-fi's are done right

Author: procletnic from Germany
13 May 2016

Kill Command is a solid movie, there's no doubt about it. I'm a big sci-fi fan and I've watched many, many low budget sci-fi productions. Kill Command is by far, the best one yet. Putting aside the awful script, the movie looks very professional and the acting, although a bit stiff in places, is decent. Considering the modest budget of 1 million, the special effects are fantastic. The robot designs are nice and detailed and the battle scenes are made very well. The sound effects and the music are top notch. Unfortunately, as I've stated above, the script is bad. Although all of the scenes are shot with taste, the lines that the actors must deliver are terrible. Some of the scenes feel incredibly artificial because of the bad script. There is a constant tension throughout the movie which will keep you interested but it leads to a weak culmination. All in all, I feel there's a lot of wasted potential when it comes to the script but despite that, the movie is enjoyable - 6.5/10.

Solid sci-fi thriller

Author: atmhso
5 May 2016

Just got back from seeing this, and I'm glad I did. Kill Command is a relatively straight-laced sci-fi that takes itself seriously - and is the better for it.

A military team are sent to training, when they are attacked by robots. They are accompanied on this mission by an upgraded woman. I'd go so far as to say it is best to leave the summary here, as the story unfolds in an organic and sometimes surprising way. Dialogue is always solid and acted well, thankfully.

Pacing of shots is excellent in my opinion, although my friend felt it could have been tighter. There are a few jump scares, but the best tension as always is when a scene drags on while we're not quite sure if the team is being observed.

There are some plot holes, but nothing that can't be ignored. Frankly, it just about works in-universe because of the light touch with world building.

Worth the watch, especially for fans of sci-fi.

Worth the watch

Author: electricrain from Canada
16 May 2016

If you're like me, you are very leery of low budget sci-fi and horror films that are written and directed by the same person who is relatively unknown and not yet an established filmmaker. More times than not, the script and acting are embarrassingly amateur and a complete waste of your time. Well, this film is a definite exception to that generalization. Apart from the lame title, this film is actually quite entertaining and worth the watch. The special effects are quite impressive and the acting and plot is good enough to keep your interest from beginning to end. If you are a fan of movies like Skyline, Predator, and Terminator, you will probably enjoy this film.

did not expect that!

Author: abhawii2 from cairo
15 May 2016

you know the feeling when you tired and have nothing to do and already watched all the recent movies up there so you pick any not-very- promising film to be as a visual background to relax with? and suddenly you face the reality that it turned to be a very entertaining picture to watch! i expected to watch a low budget-shitty effects movie with a bad story and line. instead i watched a really great effects. the line was not random and the actors were good. you wont expect to get a SHASHANK REDEMPTION story in an action film,yet the story was good very nicely done guys, it was a great job. P.S. if it was an eighties-film it would have won an Oscar of special effects hehehe , yet we are not in the 80s!

Could have been a classic

Author: Deepak Jha from Delhi
13 May 2016

I am just tired of how often script writers fail to justify actions of their characters. I would have liked the protagonists to show at least some semblance of intelligence especially considering the positions they held and the dire situations they were in. The acting, camera-work and production value make up for the deficiencies to some extent but not enough to absolve them. This is a one time watch. The squad leader is dumb and the techie acts like she's artificial intelligence herself. Other then the dumb characters and a predictable plot, the movie is paced beautifully with enough shifts and dynamism to keep you watching. However, it might not be as memorable an experience as it could've been.

The real story of Short Circuit

Author: siderite from Romania
19 May 2016

For a low budget movie with almost no marketing Kill Command is a cool film. The special effects are top notch, the acting is good, the story is engaging, the pace is keeping you on your tows. It's not the most original story, that's true, but up until the very end I didn't cringe at all.

Think Aliens with robots and you get a pretty clear picture of the scope of the script. Not as good, but not bad either. Some things were a bit off putting. I mean, the movie actually has a Chekhov's gun, only his name is not Chekhov and he's black! The military tactics used are bad, but not laughable. Also the ending... I am conflicted about it. On one hand it could be Matrix's AI in the human world sequel that we've dreamed about ever since Smith uploaded himself into a person. On the other hand it could be a high tech classic villain second wind which dooms the story to obscurity.

Bottom line: There are no high level questions being asked about Artificial Intelligence or human nature here, but it is a well done action sci-fi movie. I am curious if a sequel will be made, considering the efforts in the CGI and the successful establishment of the universe.

Think "Predator/Aliens", but sponsored by Boston Dynamics

Author: Individual One from United Kingdom
16 May 2016

I really like this film as it is extremely well done. The VFX will stand up against any similar sci-fi movie. The film did not waste any time getting to the plot, so nor shall I. Some time in the not too distant future, the proverbial Evil Corp has sensed something is amiss and has sent it's mysterious, digitally augmented female scientist and a few marines to a training island to see what's happening.

After a few minutes in the forest, we sense that the augmented scientist knows more then she is letting on. At this point if you call yourself a sci-fi fan, you will already suspect what is going to happen upon entering the dense forest. Like my girlfriend & I, you will probably start laying on bets regarding who will survive. However this predicable feeling does not detract you from watching the film. The characters are likable, after a ten minutes or so on the island, you start to feel for the actors as they begin to open up to the camera. There is the usual bunch: the mean guy, the nice guy, the cold robot like girl, the cowardly guy, the big muscle guy who says five words and there are the cannon fodder guys (all the best sci-fi movies rely this team format).

The script is no Oscar winner, but imagine if they only had a million dollars to make Predator and there was no Arnold Schwarzenegger. Now imagine the same for Aliens, add a few really talented VFX guys, some really great concept art people, a half decent script and this is probably the movie you would have got.

Yes! You know the story, you have seen the character archetypes before and you think you know how it will end. However you can always tell a well done film because you know all this and you are still want to watch until the very last scene. This is how I felt, so I gave it a 8/10.

7.4/10 would probably be more accurate, however I think they deserved the rounded up score, rather then the round down.

PS: The person who I was certain would live, ended up dying. So I guess I can still be surprised every now and then. Enjoy

Good cast and visuals, enjoyable, and worth attention of any sci-fi fan

Author: edgy-rhinx from Russia
15 May 2016

The movie is solid. Acting is actually on par with many of 8+ star films.

The plot is canon and it's been rehashed in countless productions with Terminator franchise somewhere along the line. It is still very watchable when acting, camera work, and special effects are good.

Music is passable, nothing special, but they do avoid turning up volume for cheap scares.

Frankly, this movie can be compared to a novel which had to compete against the best of 19th century writing and came somewhere in the lower middle.

A good film held back by its script

Author: Ornlu Wolfjarl from United Kingdom
19 May 2016

This film had the potential to be one of the best sci fi this year. It's low-budget, yet the actors, the scenery, the CGI, the costumes, the effects, the music, the sound they are all top quality.

The direction could have been a bit less cliché at times, in how it handled scenes with "he's watching you" tension. But action/battle scenes manage to deliver a hardcore experience while keeping the atmosphere claustrophobic. I love especially that the battles make sense tactically (except one detail on one scene).

The film manages to pull off its universe. It keeps things believable and consistent. It takes care to explain to the viewer what is happening in terms of technology, without detracting from the action and the suspense.

BUT, the script is horrible. Just when the film manages to pull you in, there comes a bad line or a glaring plot hole to wrench you out again. The actors are great, but they can't shine because their lines are too unrealistic or non-sensical. It made things awkward. On one hand the actors do their job well, on the other hand, you know they are actors because no one in real-life would talk like that in any situation. It's like the script writers made a list of topics to include, but they never filled them out. Dialogues jump wildly from one point to another. Emotions and characters are given the spotlight in one scene only to be abruptly shut down the next.

The plot holes create too many questions. I found myself too often thinking "but that's not how it works" or "isn't this supposed to be different?" or "what happened between here and there". If it wasn't for the bad script I think this film would have easily been an 8/10 for me. Maybe even better.

Rich animation caries the sci-fi through the slumbering pace

Author: quincytheodore from Indonesia
14 May 2016

"Kill Command" resembles another glossy movie from last decade; "Final Fantasy: The Spirit Within" in both positive and negative ways. Story follows a female specialist and a group of soldiers as they are trying to figure out the secretive nature of their enemy, in this case a horde of combat machine. The movie looks good even though the narrative might feel stale as it progresses sluggishly.

Its most valuable asset is certainly its graphic, the effects are riveting and it brings out the sci-fi aspect really well. Camera angles are done to accommodate the sequences between humans and machines, even if there's slight editing twitch, the graphic is a solid feature. Cinematography and color tone work fine to present a secluded setting, both the contrasting outdoor nature and futuristic hallways or rooms. Audience would clearly see the near-future vibe it aims for.

Unfortunately, story moves in sloppy march. It has a good mystery aspect, but nearly everything is repetitive in motion. It doesn't give clear characterization either beyond the gifted girl wanting to understand the situation while the soldiers just want to survive and get the mission done. Acting is presentable only to that effect. It seems that it could fit more, or tidy up some scenes to shorten the length in favor of more content.

As a sci-fi "Kill Command" delivers a fine visual despite its by-the-number narrative. It's enough to separate itself from the horde and a decent foundation for a thriller.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]