IMDb > "Mom" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

This show is so funny!

Author: CoolKid23
3 November 2013

I have to say first off I have always loved Anna Farris from the scary movie series and she does not disappoint in this sitcom at all. All these people saying that this show is negative and trashy are the same people that love two and a half men and watch it faithfully. I have laughed through every episode so far and can't wait to see how the whole series turns out. The woman who plays Anna Farris's mom is so funny and it kind of reminds you of the mother on two and half men. Don't listen to what other people say and watch for yourself before you make a judgment call. I see other shows that have a good rating like we're the millers which has no laughs in it whatsoever. We live in a generation where people see one thing they don't like an all of sudden everything about the show is bad.

Two and a Half Women

Author: fbcnova from Arlington Virginia
28 October 2013

OK so it's not what you want you children to model themselves after but then neither was producer Chuck Lorre's Two and a Half Men. This is sort of the female version of that great show and maybe it's because it's a mostly female cast that it seems to raise the ire of so many. I don't know or care, to me its funny. Anna Faris is well… Anna Faris and if you like her in things like the "Scary Movie" series then you will probably like her playing Christy who often innocently deadpans her way through raunchy or absurd situations with great comedic sensibility. Allison Janney plays Christy's Mom Bonnie who is the counterpart to Charley Harper's slutty mom Evelyn. The show probably could use a "Berta" but it has enough good characters to develop into the same sort of comedic juggernaut Two and a Half Men was, given some good writing. Time will tell.

Makes me laugh throughout the entire episode!!!

Author: jenn_k83 from Nashville, TN
12 January 2014

I absolutely LOVE this show! The actors and actresses do a wonderful job at keeping you laughing! I admit, the first 2 episodes were slow on the laughs, but as the story progresses, it gets funnier and funnier. I recommend this show to anyone who loved Two and Half Men and love to laugh. Both Ana Faris and Allison Janney have great chemistry and it works for this show! They are easy to relate to. Being a single mom of a teen and a boy growing up, while working hard to pay the bills and turn around your life whilst having a crazy mom in the mix! The actors who play the teen and kid also do a great job. All in all the whole show is good. You have cameos that come in. Who doesn't miss French Stewart? He is in this show and he makes for even more laughs! All in all, this show is great and if you are looking for some laughs and see the awesome chemistry with everyone on this show, then this is the one for you!

Good First Episode

Author: drjgardner from California
24 September 2013

"Mom" is a refreshing, in-your-face comedy with so many laughs you don't get much chance to settle down. For many people it will be too crude, but for those who don't mind the raunchier side of TV, this one is just fine (and never as crude as "Two and a Half Man" has become). Multiple Emmy winner ("West Wing") Alison Janney plays the mom to cute as a button Anna Faris ("Scary Movie") who in turn is the mom to relative newcomer Sadie Calvano. They all share problems with addiction and sexual appetites which make for lots of jokes as well as some touching emotional moments.

Rounding out the cast is a riotous French Stewart ("3rd Rock") as a chef, Nathan Corddry ("Harry's Law") as a philandering restaurant manager, and Matt Jones ("Breaking Bad") as Faris' out of work ex.

The creators include Eddie Gorodetsky and Chuck Lorre who gave us, among other things, "The Big Bang Theory" and "Two and a Half Men"

It's too early to tell if they can keep up the momentum, but the first episode certainly earns them a second look from me.

Absolutely fantastic

Author: californiaaries85 from San Jose, CA
19 April 2015

I LOVE this show. A 7 rating overall is far too low for this great show. First of all, the gorgeous Allison Janney is BRILLIANT as Bonnie. She really never fails to make me laugh. Her character is so lovably messed up.

Secondly, this is one of my favorite role of Anna Farris's. I really like Anna Farris, but some of the roles she's done have missed the mark with me. In this show, I feel like Farris's acting style has really matured. She finds a good balance between the lovable, relatable lead and the goofball comic.

Thirdly, the chemistry between the two of them is really where it's at. Their mother-daughter relationship is hilarious and charming. It's also very relatable, at least for those of us who maybe didn't have picture perfect childhoods or families.

Fourthly, (yes, fourthly), the writing really is fantastic. The writers manage to address very real emotional issues with tenderness and wit. I really just can't praise it enough.

This show genuinely is fantastic, and I hope they win lots more Emmys! They deserve it!

Touching!

Author: shaoyicheng from London, England
15 April 2014

It's not just a comedy, it bears so much grief and pain as well as many great funny stories.

It gives hope to anyone who have doubts about their life.

Every episodes is well written. Especially the first episode.

The 22nd episode is the most touching one!

The cast is brilliant! Faris, Janny and Calveno are talented actresses. Even Rothenthal is funny and adorable.

This is a one of a kind TV show for people who truly understand what life is about and brave enough to appreciate it everyday.

Keep up the good work, Chuck!

The show deserves a 2nd season

Author: Christmas-Reviewer from United States
4 February 2014

I get very angry when people call this trashy. These people are normal! They are not living in a trailer selling meth!

The show also does not glorify "Teen Pregnancy". If you watch the show the mother knows she made mistakes. I love the fact she loved her daughter even more when her daughter needed her the most. She did not make her daughter feel shame! She did not like the fact her daughter was pregnant but she knows there is nothing she can do about it! The teen made a mistake. Her mother still loves her and that is an AWESOME MESSAGE. This is after all not the 1950's.

As a person in AA I find the AA aspect of the show very funny. The cast is able to bring out the best in the material.

Since this is a first year show the producers are still figuring out the voice of the show. Now there is 3 aspects if the show. Christy (the main character)

1)Her home life/relationship with her mother. She also happens to have a pregnant teen. Not to mention her dating life.

2) Her work life (She once dated her married boss)

3) AA Life

Now I suggest to the producers they focus on Christy and her relationship with her mother. Also there is plenty of millage they can get out of AA and the Marjorie character (An AA MEMBER)

The work life seems forced and its usually the weakest in the laugh department....

Just saying

Clever, funny and smart!

Author: skleid from United States
29 September 2015

It's not easy to make a story of a dysfunctional family truly funny without making the characters dumb and "over-the-top," but this show not only succeeds, it has gone through two seasons so far without losing any of its quality. It's a bit racy in spots but never gets crude (like 2-1/2 Men) or cheerfully dumb (Big Bang Theory and most other sitcoms), but even mixes in some pathos without affecting the basic humor. I haven't seen that ability since "Frasier". The cast, led by Anna Faris and Allison Janney, is uniformly excellent, with only French Stewart's chef being a bit too much of a caricature. Here's hoping the coming third season continues its excellent beginning.

Love it

Author: Chloe-baconluver from Canada
19 November 2013

I do not really understand how people do not appreciate this show. They are completely missing out on the plot. It talks about real life problems with some humour. It does not advocates any kind of lifestyle but just how people deal with those problems. There are not a lot of shows that talk about those topics and it is done really well.

The acting is really good compared to other shows out there, it's better than two and a half man.

I could not stop laughing during the E and hearty breakfast and the zombies and Cobb Salad made me laugh but it was touching at the same time.

I would recommend watching at least 6-7 episodes, you will understand the characters better.

Just move along... nothing to see here

Author: InMyDreams_baby from USA
6 November 2014

Several of my friends recommended this show to me after the first season, so I decided to check it out. One episode was more than enough. I am a reasonably responsible adult who goes to work every day, and am a landlord on the side. So I find absolutely nothing funny in a show about an irresponsible single mom and her equally irresponsible mother who gamble away three months of rent, skip out on the landlord, then try and make the audience sympathetic to their "plight". Revolting.

I can only imagine what further deplorable depths they will plumb try to get cheap laughs. And speaking of laughs: I thought canned laughter went out with the 90s.

If you really want to watch a comedy about truly wretched individuals, go watch a show where they make no pretense of sympathetic characters (and no stupid laugh track): It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Now that's funny!

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]