IMDb > "Almost Human" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Almost Human"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Almost Human" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

An unusually good sci-fi show!

Author: clark44 from United States
19 November 2013

I really wasn't expecting much from "Almost Human". The ads made it look like a stylized action- drama, and recent J.J. Abrams projects haven't always panned out well.

But I'm pleased to report this is the real deal. Gritty, realistic sci-fi action. Yes, it's set in the future, not in a whitewashed Starfleet Federation world, but rather in a civilization where technological development has outpaced ethical considerations. In fact, it shares many similarities to "Fringe", which isn't surprising considering the number of ex-fringe producers, especially J.H. Wyman.

After the first two episodes, it's clear that the title "Almost Human" is more a theme than a name. Karl Urban's character has a synthetic leg, and his partner is an android, a model that was discontinued because of a tendency to have human-like emotional outbursts. Neither completely man nor machine, both characters feel like outsiders to the status quo.

I'm not sure what direction the show is going for the long term, but here's hoping it gets a decent run of a few seasons. Of course, with my luck this will be canceled by Christmas while "Revolution" will run for another 4 seasons....

Excellent - Just Excellent

Author: mdbourke-282-899973 from Australia
17 November 2013

Both the production values and script are excellent. Strong character interplay reminiscent of Alien Nation (so many years ago) If compared to any other shows or movies, think Blade Runner , Minority Report. I hope they can maintain both the production levels and build on the intrigue established thus far.

Do yourselves a favor and enjoy Almost Human for what is it and will become, and don't look for to many comparisons. Yes, it will be compared to so many other genre shows, as I have seen already in this forum, but the strength is in the portrayal of the characters. It is wonderful that FOX (of all networks) and generally free to air television are committing to such well written and produced fare for us all to enjoy

Not sure when this is coming to Australia, but I think it will be a success.

Totally unique.

Author: johnnymacbest from United States
17 November 2013

I just seen the first episode and I gotta say I'm really hooked on this show that's filled to the brim with human drama, action, humor, suspense, and mystery. But it's the human interactions between the two leads that makes the show very interesting and really thought provoking as well. Karl Urban(of Star Trek, Lord of The Rings, and of course, the utterly stellar "Dredd" fame) is really great in the role of a hard-as-nails cop who doesn't take too kindly to synthetic androids; one in particular, played by Michael Ealy, who is the complete antithesis of Urban. Ealy's character, Dorian, despite being an android, is very believable and convincing; conveying emotions that are(no pun intended) almost human. It'll be really interesting to see how their relationship plays out in subsequent episodes.

There's a lot of mystery and intrigue going on in this show so much, thankfully kept at the minimum to keep the audience guessing at the true motives of some of the characters while also giving the proceedings a heavy dose of suspense in a fantastically realized world and though it draws heavy inspirations from classic science fiction films, it weaves it's own plot and twists to keep things interesting and fresh. There are some plot points that I felt were rushed, but overall, this was a great episode to kick off the entire series. Be warned, there are some bloody scenes that are really intense, but the special effects, for a TV series, are really good and has a sense of hyper verisimilitude that, ironically enough, isn't too far-fetched. How long will it be before life-like androids begin to roam among humans in everyday life? If you don't think it's possible, then check out Raytheon, or DARPA, which are actively researching and developing this cutting edge technology. More importantly, there are lots of moral issues that should be discussed such as technology being too powerful, being replaced by androids, and as well as finding out what it means to be human and what separates man and machine.

I'd say "Almost Human" is an intelligent and thought-provoking series that within it's narrative, raises lots of questions, and though there's really no easy answers, the journey to find them is an exciting ride for those willing to undertake. I'm already anxious to see what's gonna happen next. Here's hoping that the show is successful for an entire season.

Perfect TV series

Author: sarvagya pant from Nepal
26 November 2013

Almost Human is probably one of the scientific TV series that comprises action, humor, thriller , almost everything packed into one. I came across Pilot just by googling about Karl Urban and knew he played a recent TV series. I checked the episode and it was perfect. The character I liked most is Dorian, who is an Android that can have feeling like a Human. Currently,I have watched all 3 episodes released and what i can infer is that the series is must watch by all the Sci-Fi Lovers. I get feeling sometimes that this is hosted by FOX, who are expert in canceling the sci-fi series, will have same fate as that of serenity. Please let it grow. I recommend this series to all those who likes to watch sci-fi series.

A Sci-Fi Treat

Author: delightful-life
18 November 2013

I have only watched 2 episodes, so can't quite be sure, but if this is any indication of the quality, this is going to be a very good series.

Hope you have read the official story line.

Beyond that: The premise is pretty simple - Fighting crime - High tech.

Almost everything is clichéd, the flawed cop, the android that has a heart, cop ready to cross the line, etc., but they have executed it really well. It almost felt like watching a medium budget movie! For now I would say that its almost as good as Person of Interest (imdb rating 8.3).

Definitely worth checking out. Especially because of the many many fascinating things and ideas in the future (Its not like Brazil, 2001 A Space Odyssey, etc., though, here its more fun). At the very least you won't feel that you wasted your time.

------------

Review after 6 episodes:

To be frank, I am not as enthusiastic as before. In all the good shows like Dexter, House, etc, the actors do an exemplary job. They make us feel what they are experiencing and it should never occur to us that they are acting, thus they should be able to suck us into the action. That is what is missing here. The actors seem a little woody/artificial.

I am still impressed by the sci-fi, but tech is never heart warming, and its interesting only for a short while, once I got over that and started watching the people and their lives, it has not been that fun.

Now they are doing filler kind of episodes where each one has a new case/story that they are solving (Seems a little like Fringe, but simpler). But from the 1st episode we know that there is a bigger villain who is closely related to the hero and they have not started on that part yet, so I think this show will get better, because the hero will become very important then as he might be the only person capable of catching the villain. And I think even the acting might get better as the series progresses. :-)... So I am sticking with this series.

---------------------

Update after 9 episodes:

After a slight slump the show has picked up and is now rocking. The acting has got better and they still have a lot of sci-fi surprises up their sleeves.

I think its very difficult to do sci-fi kind of shows. Shows where relationships are the only reason of the show, they can keep tugging at our emotional strings, they can keep going round in circles and still keep us interested. But with sci-fi they need to be both intelligent and empathetic at the same time. The reason why movies like ET are a masterpiece. So I greatly applaud the people who are doing this show.

------------------------

Thank you for reading. Cheers. :-)..........

Impressed.

Author: drael64
19 November 2013

Okay this series has a _strong_ beginning. The acting is competent, the buddy cop dynamic works well, the main characters are both relate-able and interesting. The mythology or ongoing story seems to have strong promise for depth and longevity, at least the way it is hinted, we can see that it is most likely a longer mystery story.

The backdrop of high technology is very Phillip k dick. It's particularly reminiscent of do androids dream of electric sheep/blade runner, and in a progressive way that actually adds something. In fact the setting here further explores the consequences and possibilities of higher technology, particularly obviously artificial intelligence, in a way that we have not seem either done, or done well in TV or movies for a long time.

The combination of this simmering back story, the thought provoking setting, the procedural buddy cop dynamic, are basically bound make a brilliant show.

You might see the whole concept is cliché, but actually its not. It's rarely well explored territory, and thus particularly the way its executed, very fresh and new. This is serial genre TV very worth watching. Also as others have said, it does have a high production value.

Finally a great SCI FI show!

Author: Jay Mothreja
20 November 2013

Almost Human is a classic police drama infused with beloved science- fiction tropes. The crux of the series is right there in the title. It is asking what it means to be human in a world overwhelmed by technology. Often the most effective way to reveal what something is, is by examining what it is not. Android Dorian is in many ways more human than the flesh and blood men and women that surround him. Are the themes overly subtle? No. But the pilot is both impressive and enjoyable to watch. Ealy and Urban are charismatic leads, with great chemistry. Taylor is equally dynamic as their soft spoken, but stiff spined captain. It's easy to say, "This isn't Fringe." And it's not, that's true. Almost Human is its own animal. But lest we forget, Fringe wasn't Fringe either - not at first. It evolved, it grew into something truly special. It's still finding its feet, but this series has all of the elements, all of the potential to do just that.

A great deal of well done originality

Author: bees_knees from Seattle, USA
19 November 2013

I don't watch much television, I cannot remember when I sat through an entire one hour show in one sitting - they bore me - I get this feeling I've seen it all before. At 60 years plus, I probably have. But, the first two episodes of Almost Human had me watching. I especially like the narration that was prevalent in the second episode. Instead of contrived (and boring) sequences (like a one sided phone conversation) to explain where they characters are going now, someone tells you. Genius! Love it! And a great job of narrating.

Acting is very good, effects are more than adequate. A bit of a "Blade Runner" feel to the show. A touch of humor in (so far) the right places to lighten things up. I look forward to the next episode. Keep up the good work everyone.

Hate to rate a show after only 2 episodes

Author: Hal Swann
19 November 2013

However, the potential for a very good series is all here. Already we have mystery among the main characters, very good chemistry, Sci fi, good acting, cryptic backgrounds among the supporting staff and most of all, humor. Add all of that to the Hi Tech Scifi anything goes possibilities, and this show could be an endless well of new ideas for story telling.

Did someone lock all the network execs in a closet somewhere? Because so far this is year, the number of good shows has shocked me. This is one of them. I loved these first two episodes and would gladly give it a 10 but dialed back to a 9 out of caution. Too early to tell, but all the ingredients are here to make this a show we all will miss if it ends. We shall see. But so far it has been a good few weeks in TV hows(Blacklist, Dracula, Agents of Shield, Tomorrow People), color me surprised. The only thing that could make network TV better next season would be to cancel all the reality shows at once. But I will settle for this for now.

A fun dynamic duo

Author: tasev1 from Canada
19 December 2013

Classic cop shows have always been about the lead characters, and whether they make a dynamic duo or not. This is well on it's way to be a modern, classic cop show. Karl Urban and Michael Ealy have a FANTASTIC chemistry on screen together. I don't watch it so much for the story, as I just want to see what kind of quips and laugh out loud humour I will see from the two of them.

I am a big sci-fi fan, and this series touches on all my favourites from Star Trek, to I Robot, and even Tek Wars. The effects are above standard for a TV series, and the stories told remain unique due to the fact that with sci-fi, any and all is possible limited only by imagination. I will keep watching this for sure.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]