"The Mentalist" Red Lacquer Nail Polish (2013)

« Prev | 109 of 151 Episodes | Next »

Undeveloped Episode That Adds Nothing To Overall Plot line

Author: Joe Laleman from United States
3 March 2013

After watching Red Lacquer Nail Polish, the first thing I wanted to know was who directed it? I couldn't find one listed. During the showing, I felt like I was watching an old episode from Dragnet. The direction and camera work was choppy, static and uninteresting with quick cuts from one character to another with little attention given to reaction from others in the show. The dialog was dull and uninspiring. "Just the facts ma'am, just the facts."

Good actors played meaningless characters with no depth. The story was far too predictable with no surprising twist in the end and it added nothing to the overall Red John plot line. The scenario with Rigsby made him look pathetic and incompetent. The characters didn't seem to know what they were doing or why. None of Jane's special talents were used to solve the case. Lisbon was uncharacteristically out of touch even though the clues were obvious.

As a big fan of the show from the beginning, I was very disappointed. Even the title of the episode didn't connect with the story. I have to wonder if this one was just filler to complete the season's lineup? It felt thrown together.