IMDb > The Fault in Our Stars (2014) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 26:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

I've Saved my Ten for This Film

Author: Joshua Kho from Australia
4 June 2014

Before I continue with this review, please note that I have not read the book, but am going to in the very near future :) Please note that Im also a (straight) guy... not that it matters :P

Wow what can I say about this movie. From the moment the title sequence starts, I was hooked straight away. Scene to scene this movie just manages to suck me into this beautiful world of Hazel Grace Lancaster and Augustus Waters. The chemistry between Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elsort is astounding and the performances were astonishing. Honestly, this is the best movie I have seen all year, even better than Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Godzilla which was a massive surprise. I just thought this was going to be another teenie love story and boy was I wrong. I loved this movie and recommend it to everyone across all ages. I'm rambling on and praising the movie now so I should probably get on with the review.

The direction and cinematography was fantastic. Not a single shot felt odd or out of place. Every shot matched the scene and felt real. The editing was also great as shot after shot matched with the characters faces and where they were (typical good movie editing stuff).

The acting perhaps was one of the best aspects of this movie. Seriously it makes the two characters feel real and alive, and at times I forgot this was fiction and not based on a true story. Their performances were so heartfelt and definitely Oscar worthy in my opinion. But knowing the academy this is just another teenie love story that will not be acknowledged at all. Hopefully I'm wrong, but thats the way it normally is.

This is the first movie this year that I have given a 10. I don't give out 10's easily, but there was seriously nothing wrong with this film. The pacing was perfect, the acting was phenomenal, the direction, editing and cinematography was exceptional and overall, this movie is one of the best romantic comedies that have ever touched the face of the earth. I encourage EVERYONE to go see this movie no matter what age you are and bring a packet of tissues as well. You'll need it.

Sad, But Incredibly Beautiful

Author: Kristin Elizabeth from NY
3 June 2014

I went into this movie not having read the book and not knowing anything more than the overall plot. I am a sucker for a good love story, especially love that I can relate to. The pain and emotions felt by the characters felt so real, as if I was feeling the same emotions.

Though this was THE SADDEST movie I have ever seen, it was also one of the most beautiful, as it truly showed how exhilarating and comforting and exciting love is.

I probably cried throughout about half of the movie, along with the rest of the audience. I cried to the point of heaving out loud and needing more than the 2 tissues I came in with. Again, the actors really expressed the emotions of the characters well and I felt that.

I am going to see it again for sure.

GO SEE IT IF YOU LOVE EMOTIONAL MOVIES!

Bring Kleenex. Lots of Kleenex.

Author: dcbluestar
31 May 2014

Wow. Being an avid book reader, I'm always skeptical about watching the words of my favorite books transformed and materialized on the big screen... but TFIOS stayed true to the book. The movie was absolutely lovely from beginning to end. The young actors were great. The comedy hit on all the right notes, the romance made your heart smile and the tragedy pulled at your heart strings. It really was a wonderful adaptation, and I believe it stayed as true to the book as possible without many changes where there were any. The minute it was over, I wanted to watch it again. Upon leaving the theater, I looked around and there was not one dry eye. Not even the men. If you are a big fan of the book, like myself... and are skeptical about whether this stays true. Don't be. Kudos the John Green on his first film adaptation. It was an absolute success. I'd give it a 10 out of 10 if I could... but I don't believe in "perfect."

Was this shot on film? Cause there's a lot of chemistry involved!

Author: Semidieu from Vienna, Austria
31 May 2014

This movie, simply put, is worth each and every one of its 125 minutes. Including the closing credits, that you need to dry your eyes and think about what you just saw. It's the inspiring story of two young people who are no different then all of us, as they both are in the process of dieing. Though Hazel Grace and Augustus are more aware of this fact of life; because their „eternity" has an expiration date, set by Hazels terminal illness: Cancer.

As the viewer is put on an emotional roller-coaster, alongside the feelings and attitudes towards life and love the two teens share, this movie will be a key to many locked doors in the recepients minds. And through these doors we are lead by an ensemble of actors who are amazingly sensitive in their portrayal of personalities and emotions.

The writing and directing is so brilliantly executed, that you have sympathy with every character this movie so caringly brings to (short) life. Even when they oppose another you feel unable to take sides. Because you find yourself sharing both. And when the credits role - like the tears on your cheek - you realize, that these opposing views are one and the same after all: Life.

I've never cried so much in my entire life.

Author: Nicole Yap from Australia
4 June 2014

I don't really cry in movies unless they're really, really sad. And this movie is bound to get you crying like there's no tomorrow. I brought a box of tissues and I used about half of them. I have never cried so much in my entire life. Being an avid fan of the book, I was kind of scared that like some of my other favourite books, the movie would be ruined. But no, the movie had all of the book's materials in it (except for one thing). I never thought Shailene and Ansel would play Hazel and Gus, but when I watched it, their performance blew me away. I think Shailene's ability to cry got ME crying, because that's how real it felt. It is an amazing movie, and I'm sorry to say that it's even better than A Walk to Remember. Go see this movie, and if you do, maybe read the book first so that you can be somewhat prepared!

Would happily see this again!

Author: Victreebong from United States, San Diego in CA
12 June 2014

Average American guy right here, and I dug this flick. I don't care how many 13 year olds were in the theater with me, this movie has emotion. After watching the Descendents, I knew Woodley was going places. She simply delivers in this movie. I'm not going to write a long winded review about the summary, but I will tell you about the acting.

Elgort and Woodley truly deliver. You forget they're acting each and every scene. The chemistry between the two is palpable. Laura Dern comes out of nowhere; I think the last time I've seen her face was JP. She puts up a pretty good role as Woodley's torn mother. Defoe is pure love/hate on almost a House level. In fact, he goes beyond House hatred with his apathy in this movie. And the two's sidekick (Wolff) is loads of comic relief, which is surprising considering that he too is in the therapy group. The rest of the cast is just kind of there (sorry Tramell). But that's because the camera is on Woodley and Elgort the entire time. I don't even think there's a scene except for flashbacks where the two are absent.

As far as the movie... An emotional roller-coaster. You will get addicted to their relationship. You will cry big man tears internally (and probably externally) after 1.5 hours. You will be emotionally drained.

A "Sick love story"

Author: Jack Fischer from Minnesota
23 May 2014

This review is originally from my blog Derpy Reviews, www.derpyreviews.blogspot.com to see more FioS news, reviews and giveaways, email subscribe to Derpy Reviews and friend me on GoodReads www.goodreads.com/DerpyReviewsTeam

The Fault in our Stars, where to start. Great book, fantastic movie. The emotion of the actors made John Greens New York Times Best Seller, real. They brought depth to our pages, they brought emotion to our dripping eyes, and they brought warmth to our hearts.

The movie is about a teenage girl who has terminal lung cancer, she was saved by a experimental treatment when she was younger. Now as she is older, her parents feel that she is suffering from depression which is, as Hazel describes it a "side affect of dying." Her parents encourage her to go to a cancer support group where she meets Agustus Waters, ex-cancer carrier and minus one leg. Soon Hazel and Gus find themselves head over heels planning to love each other until oblivion ultimately catches up with them.

A "sick love story"

The actors casted for these roles were amazing. Shailene, played Hazel flawlessly, she was smart, and funny and cold just as Hazel was. Ansel, was equally amazing, his amazing humor and timing made this movie! The amazing actors and actresses combined with the entire crew, the way the movie was filmed is just inviting, and they way text messages and emails were displayed will start a new movie trend.

Some call it a tear jerker, some revolutionary, but me, I call it a spectacularly made masterpiece. You will laugh and you will cry. And some parts will send those magical shivers down your spine.

I would recommend this movie to... Any reader of the Fault in our Stars Anyone looking for a fantastic movie A guy who wants a romantic movie for two, that he may enjoy himself A girl who wants to just cry through an entire movie Someone who wants to see a spectacularly made masterpiece

"Okay"

Too many people are idiots.

Author: o_oraculo from Brazil
14 June 2014

I give it "1" because IMDb doesn't let me give it 0. I never wrote a review before, but seeing the average of 8.5 gave me a feeling of never being able to trust IMDb again.

I usually check movie scores in IMDb to decide if I should watch it in the theaters. Below 7 is lame (except for comedies which gets lower scores). 7 to 8 maybe. 8 and up must see (except for this movie). Seeing an 8.5 I went to the theater excited. I hope someone like me is out there and reads this review before he wastes his time and money with it.

What I saw: Boring, depressing, cynic, pessimist, average looking to slightly good looking girl has lung cancer. The audience is led to believe she is smart because she read the same book 1000 times over (doing that isn't smart) and goes to college (which she doesn't really).

She goes to a support group where good hearted, Christian, cancer survivor (which is made to look like a loser) helps young people who have cancer.

There, she meets 2 characters: 1) eye cancer guy who is going to have to remove them and has a huge boobed (to good for him) girlfriend, who will leave him 10 minutes later. 2) his friend, an extremely athletic, pretty, extremely confident guy (even though he's a virgin (yeah right *rolls eyes*)) who is also a cancer survivor (lost a leg to it, but is paradoxically still very athletic).

Even though his value on the meat market is much higher than the protagonist girl's value, he only has eyes for her, even without her saying anything but depressing things.

At the end of the meeting, if being athletic, pretty and confident isn't enough, a girl passes by him trying to get his attention (to show that even other girls are into him), so that the main girl can be certain that he's an alpha male, but she still give's him a hard time (because in every romantic movie a guy has to prove himself even beyond the shadow of a doubt that he's the man for a boring girl (the exception is when there are 2 awesome guys fighting for the same girl (Twilight))).

They start talking on the phone and she lends him her favorite book.

The leg cancer guy says that her book is amazing. And since the spoiled brat cancer girl has some stupid question she wants to make to the author, he decides to get them both a trip to Europe to talk to the writer of the book. He could get anything for himself, but he decides to give his special once in a lifetime cancer wish to her, even though they are not boyfriend/girlfriend, they have not had sex, they haven't even kissed yet.

Her doctor is the ugliest actor, so you know he's going to be the bad guy. He tells her that she can't take the trip in any possible way! She goes anyway (obviously).

In the generic romantic European country, the guy decides to use a tux (which all men love to wear... Not!) to take her to a very expensive dinner (which although he doesn't end up having to pay, he was more than happy to be able to pay for her!).

The author seems to be a reasonable guy, he tells them in other words that the book ended the way it should have ended, that her questions are stupid and that she's a spoiled brat/ narcissist (which is all true).

She gets sad, boy comforts her and tells her he could write a better ending then the author (no he couldn't, and if that's the case, why couldn't she? and why did they come in the first place?), they decide to go to Anne Frank's house. She's tired of going upstairs because of her lung cancer. When she's at the place where Anne Frank hid, she kisses the boy. Other tourists who were there clap for the blatant disrespect of Anne's suffering because they're Nazis(it's the only reasonable explanation). This clapping cheers them on to having sex.

At this point me and my girlfriend were discussing going out of the theater before the end, because it was so bad and cliché, but we stayed, just in case the end was amazing to make up for all this bulls...

They go back to America. Guy has cancer again and becomes depressed (He knew it before going to Europe, but only gets depressed about it now, w t f?!). In his depression he stops talking to girl (because romantic movies need a moment of sad separation which can always be easily resolved after some days by talking). He starts talking to girl again... about death. Girl writes eulogy for boy, and reads it to him. Boy dies, it's time for her to read eulogy (I'm thinking: she's obviously not going to read the same thing again, because that would be boring for the audience of the movie) and then she doesn't read it! (what?! who saw that coming except for everyone!?). She decides to say bland feel good lies in his funeral, instead of the truth, because she's a conformist narcissist coward.

Girl gets a paper that leg cancer boy wrote to her before he died. I barely remember, but it's some romantic BS. The end.

There's also a scene I don't remember exactly when in the movie that shows how deep does narcissism goes in the girl: She says that she knows that when she dies, her parents are not going to be able to do anything anymore, shrivel and die, because she's dead. Her parents are like: No, we aren't. Get over yourself.

Highlight of the movie: Another guy plays violin for a short bit of time.

True to the book

Author: pamma09 from United States
6 June 2014

I read the book several months ago and have been anxious for the movie. So this grandmother went with her 16 yr old grandson who had also read the book. We are both happy with the adaptation. The story of two teens with cancer who meet in a support group for teens, neither want sympathy and both knowing they will die - want to live life. They exchange books and because of the ending of one and the questions they have - they email the author in Amsterdam. Because he had not used up is 'wish' they end up being able to go there and have the chance to meet the author. Willam Defoe portrays the alcoholic author so well - you do not like him. Gus also tells Hazel something he has been keeping from her. Gus and Hazel have their ups and downs and knowing their time may be limited their love is fresh and true - and presented so well. All the acting is good, the sets, the music -and there is a lot of music but I did not notice most of it - a sign of a good movie score. I volunteer in a hospice facility and it was so good to see the presentation of their cancer as real. Their feelings of what they are going thru as real. I will read the book again and see the movie again - it is worth it.

A tad predictable, but very touching/strong performances from Woodley/Elgort.

Author: renschen21 from Minnesota
23 May 2014

Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort both have arrows strongly pointing upwards. Both shine brightly in this movie and suck you in from the get- go. Following up their (sibling) pairing in Divergent, they both flash a wide range of chops here. Woodley is charming and smart, and Elgort majorly surprised me showing off a comical side. Also very smart.

I won't spoil anything, but I did not read the book so I had no/low expectations and was sucked in early on, and definitely was attached to the characters throughout. It's a great story and it tugs on your heart. Loved it.

Page 1 of 26:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]