Besharam (2013) Poster

(2013)

49 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Colorful disaster
suzzhuzz2 October 2013
movie doesn't deserve more than 2/10 , 1 for Ranbir Kapoor and other 1 for the producer who was confident about this movie, the movie starts as typical bollywood movie, with a song, the first half of the movie is watchable and the second half , i recommend you to get out the theater cause it's a complete disaster. reasons why you should watch this movie: 1. you have nothing else to do, even watching a insect is much entertaining than watching this movie. 2. if you hold grudge on someone take him/her and make him/her watch it. 3. watch if you want to have thrill in your life, i will pray that you survive this disaster. Finally Watch at your own risk.
37 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pathetic
anshnasta962 October 2013
Besharam- the first time i ever walked out of a movie. It was so bad that even i didn't laugh at the 'jokes'. A song at a colorful Mela. Gosh, are we in the 80s?

Were Abhinav Kashyap and Rajeev Barnwal high when they made the film? Nevertheless, Ranbir Kapoor must be really besharam to have signed for such a film.

Actually, screw Ranbir. I feel really besharam to have wasted 95 minutes of my precious IB life watching such a movie.

P.s. A moment of silence for all those who already watched the movie or still plan to do so
32 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Shamelessly bad film.
sal_maan122 October 2013
I walked into the theatre, expecting to watch a bad film, and still walked out feeling baffled, because the film was way worse than what I had anticipated. I'm just disappointed for wasting my money on this. But I've myself to blame to be honest. The promos were really bad, and the songs were lifeless. The off-screen drama surrounding this film didn't do any good either - and just put me off completely. However, being a huge Ranbir fan, I did hope to at least have fun in the cinema. This could just have been one of those so-bad-that-it's-good films. Alas, no. It's plain bad.

To give credit where it's due, the first half of the film was bearable. It had some funny scenes.... but post interval, the film completely crashes. By the climax, I could have pulled my hair out or poked my eyes with my straw. That would have been more entertaining than the on-screen mess.

Sure people will argue that this is a masala film, and you got to leave your brains behind, etc - and mind you, I've nothing against those potboilers, and I sure know how to enjoy a good masala film. But this was just one big bad, repulsive film. The makers didn't get anything right - which is shocking considering they had a unique cast to work with, and the director's claim to fame is the cult classic - Dabangg. Right from the concept, to the execution, to the humour, to the performances, to the music and to the graph of the film. It was shamelessly poorly executed. And really, what will work against this film is that you do not expect 3such a trash-fest from someone like Ranbir Kapoor.

Abhinav Kashyap might have a hard time finding producers for his next film - unless of course his brother steps in. It looks like his arrogance took away the talent that he promised with his debut film. The writing and direction left a lot to be desired. And the screenplay goes completely haywire. The love angle especially is completely forced, random and brings the film down. Music by Lalit Pandit is shockingly poor. Can you believe this guy helped deliver gems like KKHH or DDLJ? There are too many songs, which sound awful, and act as complete speed- breakers - in a otherwise route-less film. Their picturisations leave no impact whatsoever, expect that the choreography is well weird. I'm guessing Remo was in-charge because I could spot him in the first song, but the steps were a bit crude and too rhythmic. Ranbir danced good though.

If the film was a letdown, the performances were worst. Ranbir Kapoor is a great actor. Period. And I love the fact that he's constantly trying something new. He's versatile. For sure. But picking a different role is not where the story ends. You need to be able to bring it to life, to make the audience believe its you, to pull off the role and deliver a good performance. As Babli, Ranbir leaves all the boxes unchecked. First off, he's just not Babli - and throughout the film, it becomes more and more obvious that he's trying too hard. He struggles to act, and this is the first time I've hated watching him on-screen. I wonder what made him take such a repulsive character, and not add any endearing quality to it? Not even in his performance? And his ''I'm-an-orphan-so-I-can- steal'' act was anything but heartwarming. Giving himself a disgusting look, unfortunately doesn't help make his act convincing. He's over the top and completely hams his way through the film.

Neetu Singh - probably one of the most elegant leading actresses - gives her son some good competition, although she does have a funny role until the cliché part leading to her 'character-growth'. Bad performance. Javed Jaffery is completely wasted and adds nothing to the film, while the leading actress - Pallavi - has nothing going in her favour. She shares no chemistry with Ranbir, is no great-looker, and completely messes up her romantic/emotional scenes.

Rishi Kapoor, for me, was somewhat the 'best' performer. It was however painful to watch him completely ridicule himself in the first ''potty''scene. Did he really have to do this?! Toiler humour & I don't gel well, so this one was repulsive scene for me. That aside, he was cute and acted well, as expected.

Ranbir & Pallavi made the most awkward on-screen couple I've seen in a while. They both looked disinterested in each other. The camaraderie/chemistry between the three Kapoors left a lot to be desired. It pains me that THIS is the film they chose to come together? It's just not going to work in their favour. Whatever happened to Rishi & Neetu rejecting countless of scripts because they weren't ''good enough''.

The ''jokes'' didn't really work. I chuckled a few times, but the humour was too much ''in you face''. And way too crude for my liking. :shrug: Ranbir's butt-crack, getting-hard jokes, constant humping in songs,... it was all way too much to digest.

At the box office, this film is going to prove a disappointment. I'm expecting a big opening, but with the kind of negativity the film has amassed even before the release, along with the atrocious reviews, and I'm predicting poor word-of-mouth, film will shamelessly be out of most theatres soon and fail to leave a mark.

Speaking of which, if anything, Besharam will leave a daag on Ranbir's career. He might just hit the jackpot with this one - worst film, worst performance and biggest disappointment in his career.

Avoid.
61 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Besharam is loud, lousy and unconvincing. Not recommended
Ketan Gupta4 October 2013
90's masala popcorn films are back thanks to movies like Wanted , Dabangg , Rowdy Rathore. Unfortunate part is that movies are getting repeated and outdone and the essence of the flavor is dying. Besharam tries hard to entertain you but falls flat on the face.

Besharam tells the story of a car thief who had to steal back the car he sold to a gang-lord after he falls in love with a girl whose car he stole.

From the critically and commercial acclaimed director of Dabangg, much was expected from Abhinav Kashyap but the lousy direction , insensible screenplay and terrible story gives you a headache which you never asked especially from star like Ranbir Kapoor. There is no plot here and frequent insertion of songs just spoils the entire mood of the film. Music is a complete letdown. Art direction and cinematography is decent. Ranbir Kapoor disappoints big time. For the first time in his career , he does not do justice to his role. The new-comer Pallavi Sharda is wasted. The chemistry between her and Ranbir Kapoor is terrible which is very much required in this kind of film. The only saving grace are comic relief by Rishi Kapoor and Neetu Kapoor who are good but not great.

Overall, Besharam is loud, lousy and unconvincing. Not recommended. 1/5

Join me on www.facebook.com/FilmyChowk to get more movie reviews
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Its Besharami to call it a 'movie'
rc-blah-blah3 October 2013
Imagine a day so bad that you'd want to delete it from your memory. A day where nothing went your way and only got worse as the day progressed. A day where you thought you'd hit rock bottom and things could not get any worse... that would be a good day to go watch this movie, cause its then you'd realize how quickly things can get even worse !!! This movie left me with a headache and a sense of bewilderment as to why an actor like Ranbir Kapoor would even consider a movie like this, let alone going through with it. The movie should come with a warning "watch at your own risk" .. so people please please do not go spending your money or bandwidth to watch this movie ... and if you still do please keep some aspirin handy !!
33 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Don't go for this movie!! Save your hard earned money.
Mrigank Pandey2 October 2013
I was excitedly waiting for the arrival of this movie as it is directed by Abhinav Kashyap who directed the blockbuster Dabbang but after watching the first day first show of this movie I regret that I wasted my money on this movie. This movie completely crushed my expectations.It is literally a pathetic movie.The storyline is poor and doesn't make any logical sense.The characters are portrayed by big stars but are not able to deliver even satisfactory performance due to a fragile storyline which changes its pace abruptly. There are a few funny scenes which may make you giggle a little bit but aren't that memorable.By the end of the first part you will already get so bored that thoughts will come to your mind of leaving the movie midway.The producers and director claim that the movie is a mixture of action, comedy,drama and romance but seriously it is a complete mess.One of the main thing that one should be prepared for while watching this movie is that senseless and unnecessary dance sequences and songs will be thrown at you every 5 minutes which will make one's soul be teared apart every time a song comes and that too the lyrics will make your ear bleed. By the time the climax has come the movie would have changed the complete scenario of the plot.This movie is a package of irritating comic sounds,a few humorous moments which come after long gaps, bad script and horrendous songs.After watching this movie you will be like " Dafuq Did I just watch?".Don't waste your money rather download it if you are eager to watch and I assure you that after downloading and watching this movie you will regret wasting your bandwidth on this movie.The only people who can like such movie are hardcore Ranbir Kapoor fans and they might dislike my review but I am only telling the truth. If you are planning to watch a movie with friends or family try to avoid this one.
37 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Besharam is an experiment gone bad !!
ashish-cooltech2 October 2013
I went to watch Besharam only for Ranbir Kapoor. He is one of the most talented young actors of Bollywood cinema with superb roles like Rocket Singh, Wake up Sid, Rockstar, Barfi to his name at such a young age... So this looked like he was going for another experimental role and given his track record, I expected he will pull it off.. but unfortunately; this is everything gone bad in one movie.. This is a mindless action-comedy with no script.. Jokes are old and unimaginative.. Ranbir tries hard to be the shameless yet good at heart mechanic - thief who is not shy about anything that he does or says.. Its the script and direction that lets him down. Pallavi is OK considering this is her first movie in a lead role. Rishi Kapoor and Neetu Singh are a total flop for the role in which there are supposed to provide comic support but end up irritating. A huge disappointment of a movie from Ranbir Kapoor. You may end up finding it average if you go with zero expectations. I give it 3 /10.
33 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Height of Behsarmi!
Suresh Thakur2 October 2013
Everything was good about this movie, it's Title, Director, Actor and Poster but ever since they release it's first promo we got a hint that this movie is aged in it's feel, cinematography and techniques. We got the idea what is going to happen with the movie. Well it was 2nd October, a national holiday, but I still got movie ticket just 5 minutes before the showtime(as expected). I entered the theater expecting Besharam to be 'Dabangg-ish' or something similar to director Abhinav Kashyap's first film and it was nowhere near my expectations. Yes, Ranbir does act but nothing was in his hand, well he also tried to do some deliberate and out of the sync semi-nude bathing scene, I guess they added this scene just before the release because movie was getting lukewarm response in promotions and this is why I titled this review as "The Height of Behsarmi!", Cheater! There are very few funny (1-2) scene but trust me you can get better laughter in TV comedy shows than this. OK let's talk about female lead in the movie "Pallavi Sharda", her IMDb page says that "She is an INTERNATIONAL film and theater actress and dancer, "OK enough about her, but there are some rumors that she is a girlfriend of the director, Hmmm now we got the idea why is she in the movie. Yes, there are Ranbir's Parents too in the movie and this aspect is more irritating than Story, Faaltu outdated Maar-Dhaad, International Heroin, Forgettable Songs, Semi-nude Bath scene, direction etc. I wasted my Rs 600 and precious time, Save Yours! spend your weekend with your family and don't even let them go near the theaters.

PS: INTERNATIONAL film and theater actress...... My foot!
24 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Lower your expectation and keep it there permanently.
Sara Khan7 October 2013
Since my childhood, I have always been fond of Hindi movies. You were expected to ignore the non-existent plot because the songs and everything else made it up for it. However, as you grow older and you experience cinema from different countries (South Korea, Japan, French etc) and realize, you can not enjoy the movies once you use to. Why? Predictability of these movies or the fact, you have grown up but the cinema you love, quite has't. Anyway, back to this movie. I actually, expected this movie to be different and entertaining. I enjoyed Ranbir's previous movie (even though many parts of copied), but with this one, i felt let down. The performance, plot and everything felt stale. There were few nice moments during the start of the movie but it starts to drag during the 2nd half. Therefore, I would advise you not to waste your money and perhaps, watch it on cable at a later date. Lastly, Bollywood will lose it's fans if they don't create more genres or meaningful cinema. Most people can easily access movies from other countries and sooner or later, they will prefer to watch something which meets their expectation, not keeps letting them down. Cheers.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Be Besharam And Ignore This Movie
Dhruv Naik4 October 2013
The Dabangg directors turns into Besharam and its flop.Trailers and songs are not that much effective that attracts mass audiences to the theater. In this movie,there is not at all comic moments or fight sequences that entertain you as shown in trailers.1st half is quite well compare to 2nd half.There are some comedy scenes that director make but fail to entertain.2nd half is boring. Music of the movie is not so good but the title song makes audience groove. Direction is good but not as good as Dabangg.Abhinav has shows Ranbir flirty boy and action hero.He has tries to make climax scene as power pack as Dabangg starting but he failed to make it that good. Ranbir is as always superb .Pallavi Sharda has done quite a good job.Neetu Kapoor and Rishi Kapoor are so good and their comic timings are impressive.Javed Jaffrey is good as villain. Overall,you can ignore this movie happily.Not even a one time watch.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this