IMDb > "Tyrant" (2014) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

An Arabian Review .

Author: (qusai-tamimi2000@hotmail.com) from Jordan
25 June 2014

I'm an Arabian and I'll review this series on that basis(sorry for any mistakes).

-(a brief history and review of Khalid)the series especially the Fayeed family has close resemblance to Saddam's Hussein Era and gulf countries Royal families. the picture which this series draw from the beginning is sadly true, unfortunately till the Arabian "spring" there were no elected president in whole 22 Arabian countries except in Lebanon, so you can imagine that every leader came by a military coup "or inheritance from his father" must clear the previous ruler's Allies to protect himself from assassination(which clearly seen in the pilot) and to prove his dominance.

-Jamal is a clear representation of children who was born with a golden spoon in their mouth and a gun in their hand, Iraq and Gulf countries have many "Jamal"s, with various degrees,for e.g Oudai Saddam Hussein was exact picture of Jamal(don't know about purity incidence). Oudai was a killer, rapist and a maniac same as Jamal.

-Bassam Aka Barry. I am conflicted about him, will he become like his father and brother as depicted in flashbacks or will he be the Arabian "spring". still to come.

-the luxury of the royal family is not exaggerated in the series and maybe downgraded (I'll leave this to your imagination) -the background and the set. Finally Arabic is written right not some gibberish or isolated letters, the wedding, music ,dancing and the "bachelor" party were nearly right.

-negative thing: they didn't show the foreign influence and i hope they will, don't think these rulers and leaders came from nothing, they're all pawn were put to control the countries income and resources and convert it to outside -Finally ,what you saw and what you going to see in this series is sadly some what true, but people started to open their eyes and start revolutions.

p.s this is my first review ever and it may be complicated but 1000 aren't enough to describe centuries of conflict and blood.

Guts and honesty--for a change.

Author: Iris_85027 from Phoenix, AZ
25 June 2014

I'm impressed with the courage it took to put this on TV. This is not an easy subject to cover and the honesty it is dealt with says a lot about the willingness of the entire crew to take risks.

The acting is superb and everyone gives their character the exact nuance required to convey the sliminess, brutality, tortured indecision, suffering, or shallowness required.

I never thought I'd see such depth and truth portrayed on a mere TV series. The people who put this on have guts and I'm impressed. I will continue to watch for as long as the producers, directors and actors are willing to avoid shallowness or cave to "political correctness."

I'm not a big fan of sex, nudity, or brutality on TV but this story could not be properly told without representing the characters as they really are.

Congratulations! And I'll be praying for you.

Blown away by the first episode.

Author: t hamilton from Australia
25 June 2014

Forewarning only the pilot has been seen so far, but based on that I was thoroughly impressed.

Tyrant is the story of the second son of a powerful middle eastern tyrant who has escaped the corruption and despair of his native land and spent two decades Americanising himself and building an unassuming life with his wife and two kids. Reluctantly he is brought back to his country of birth for the wedding of his nephew.

Its not immediately a genre I would find myself drawn to, but I was enthralled. Barry (the second son) Is a wounded character, wary of his father and everything he represents, and they depict him brilliantly. His interactions with his brother and father are complex and deep.

The setting for the show is very beautiful, right in the opening portion of the episode you get a great sequence of shots where the American family is being driven in a cavalcade to the palace, and you can really see the juxtaposition of the opulence of their cars, the palace with its gardens and forest, with the impoverished masses being kept at bay so the streets are clear for the motorcade.

Watching both Barry's reaction to this contrasting culture and his American families reaction is very interesting and adds a different element to the story. His wife's "Dr. Phil" moments trying to get him to open up about the atrocities he witnessed when Barry (and the audience) know she could never really understand, his sons oblivious superficiality and obnoxious self absorption help make the story relatable to me coming from a western culture, and also highlight how ignorant they (and we) are.

I've only seen the pilot, as mentioned above, but I loved this first glimpse of a, for me, unique new story. I cant wait to see how it unfolds, and I recommend the first episode highly.

An Excellent Show About the Tightrope of Power

Author: Jay Fleming from United States
25 June 2014

With a stunning and fascinating portrayal of a middle-eastern power structure, FX has outdone themselves yet again.

What does it mean to have true power, and can you ignore power when you are born into it? The central conflict of this show thrusts it's main characters back into the fray of just such a situation. It portrays power as both freedom and a prison. The Al-Fayeed family, rulers of a fictional middle-eastern country are no different from any other modern Monarchy except that it is still in defacto power and uses brutal tactics to stay there.

Assad, Khadaffi, Saddam, Bush...

These names conjure Dynasty's and dictatorships, and for thousands of years the power struggles within their individual kingdoms were largely ignored by western powers, or swept quietly under a convenient media rug. But for Barry Al-Fayeed, the violence and politics of his family have been left behind. He has no desire to rule anything then his pediatric practice.

As the younger son of a brutal dictator, Barry took advantage of his families wealth to leave the country behind, and hasn't seen home in twenty years. His wife and children are somewhat ignorant of their husbands and fathers old world, knowing only that they are 'sort of' royalty and that grandad is rich. Their ignorance is typical of the average American family, not stupid, but simply devoid of the truth of the day to day in tyrannical regimes in many parts of the world. When his brothers son is due to be married, Barry is called home, and the cycle begins again.

But the truth is, Barry's legacy is one of bullets and blood, of violence and ruthlessness, of intimidation and manipulation. What makes a tyrant? This show promises to show just how far one man will go to secure his family, his country, and his power.

The new "must see TV" show for the summer has arrived.

Author: (blink28-1) from Canada
10 July 2014

I watch a unhealthy amount of television. Thus the summer is a time of incredible pain. This show can finally help ease this. After diving into the first 3 episodes I can safely say that this show is on the right track. Some plots, and characters can be somewhat 2 dimensional (Barry's son, wife and daughter come to mind) BUT can every character involved in every figment of a story be dynamic as the leads ? The plot is original for once, and the acting has thus far been superb. The sets are gorgeous and very true to the geographical locations as well. The realism and barbarity of a dictatorship/police state is also well portrayed. Give this show a full season and watch where it goes. I beg FX to let this series fly and play out.

9/10 thus far.

Ashraf Barhom - WOW

Author: ababuso from United States
18 July 2014

Great premise for a series...the interaction of cultures seen through their humanity and frailties. The cast is variable, except for Ashraf Barhom, playing Jamal, who just blows me away with his fierce energy. Every moment he is on he completely dominates the drama. Everyone looks pale beside him -- his energy seems to come like a fire from within and burns up the screen. I think this is a new star... I'll be watching to see him in more! FX really does an amazing job bringing us really interesting series instead of the usual pulp on network TV. Just when you think you've seen it all, they come up with something new. Most of us have no idea what life really looks like in Middle Eastern countries. This gives us a cool story and lets us peek into another world. And GO BARHOM!

Really Enjoyed The Pilot.

Author: Liel Dukorsky from Israel
30 June 2014

As a Middle-Eastern, I pretty much comprehend the concept of this series. I am a Jew born in Israel, a grandson to Jewish grandparents who immigrated from Iraq, I have heard plenty of stories from my grandfather about the life in an Arab country, about its glory days and its very elegant lifestyle but also heard about the brutality and mercilessness which often characterizes the Arab leaders in certain Arab countries.

In addition, as an Israeli, I am updated in all of the scenarios in the Arab world, and how unstable the Arab world is.

You can sense the extravagant Arab lifestyle in the first episode of the series, this exaggerated lifestyle traits the way most of the Arab leaders used to live and are still living nowadays, you can sense the frustration and the torment of the lower population strata, it makes the series very realistic because it brings back the memories of the "Arab Spring".

As other people have already written, the plot of the story unfolds the story of Bassam Al-Fayeed which was the second son of Khaled Al-Fayeed, Bassam suffers from childhood traumas which had a vast reflection on his life as a person and as a family man. His brother Jamal can be compared to Saddam Hussein's first child, a "hothead", truculent and sort of a psychotic pervert.

As for now, basing on the pilot, I find this series very interesting and very realistic, reflects the life in the Arab countries of the Middle- East, Gideon Raff did a fantastic job with the script and I hope this series will not disappoint us.

Best New Series in a Long Time

Author: madmak-45-874486 from United States
4 July 2014

I decided to DVR "Tyrant" after seeing a few promos. I'm happy to report that the promos didn't do justice to the series. I was hooked in the first ten minutes.

The adult cast is excellent. I expect that the children will be as well, but I haven't seen enough of them to be sure. The writing is mostly top-notch, and the relationship dynamics seem altogether plausible, with one exception (more on that below). The visuals are beautiful.

I wondered whether the depiction of an Arabic middle eastern country was accurate, but I've not visited there and have no frame of reference (other than news reports, which I take with a large grain of salt). I recommend that you read qusai-tamimi2000@hotmail.com's review, which I found very helpful.

My only real issue with the writing is with some of the interaction between Bassam and Molly. I get that the show needs to show us the dynamics of their relationship and tell us the back story. But I would expect these two characters to have a higher level of emotional maturity than the writers seem to give them credit for. Molly keeps trying to have serious conversations in public places where they're not appropriate, and Bassam doesn't seem mature enough to say more than "I can't talk (or won't) about this now." It's a common plot device, but I think this series deserves something less common.

I can't wait for the next episode.

The Whole Package

Author: Daniel Montalvo from United States
30 July 2014

Most of the characters were somewhat stereotypical at first impression. However, the development of the characters has been executed nicely at a very gradual pace but accelerated to match the tempo of the development of the story.

I have found myself drawn into the characters and their psyche and I believe that most viewers can identify with most of them. The cast executes quite well in general. However, the "Big Brother" controlling Jamal is overdone and slows the development of his disposition. He is intelligent enough to make tough decisions. However, due to his father's influence coupled with the absence of his brother during his formative years, he sometimes needs to be pointed in the right direction yet maintains a cynical sense of humor and pretends to be dumb. This seems to invite the continual advice from his big brother. But the overbearing continual advice from the brother is still overdone.

Most viewers will find "Tyrant" to be a very distinct and unique series and very interesting to watch. It has very good content and nearly all ages can watch this for the sex scenes display more class than most shows on the air. These scenes are shown less and less as the show goes on and when they are shown they are done without unnecessary nudity and tasteless displays of the act. The violence has mellowed as well.

I sincerely hope that the writers keep up the good work, for so far they have shown great vision and originality!

A summer program worth watching?

Author: tomcatjak from United States
15 July 2014

I will go through a few points about various elements of the show.

Casting - It doesn't seem like anyone is out of place, but there were a few confusions about child versions of a few characters. One of the children looks nothing like the adult version of the character, I was confused and had to look up the cast. Other than that the cast is solid.

Writing - Generally well written with a few odd circumstances but nothing that cannot be explained later in the show. I am glad the writers were up to the task because the show is very dialogue based there isn't a lot of action but I was still pulled in episode after episode.

Acting - Adam Rayner is the main character is this show and as far as I know it's his first lead he has had for a major network. All I can say is that he is playing his role right. This can be said for the rest of the cast with a few exceptions. I cannot say too much without giving away spoilers but I have no complaints about the acting.

Set - Most of the show was filmed in Morocco, the show is not set in Morocco but it had me convinced it was a middle eastern country.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]