IMDb > "Luther" Episode #3.1 (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Luther" Episode #3.1 (2013)

« Prev | 12 of 21 Episodes | Next »

A welcome return for DCI Luther

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
2 July 2013

Soon after series three begins protagonist DCI Luther is on not one but two murder cases; the first is of a woman who was killed in her home and her body posed in a way that suggested a fetish of some sort and the second victim is a man who spent his time on line sending hateful messages to the parents of a girl who died. Understandably it is the first case the Luther thinks is the priority. To complicate matters further his partner, DS Ripley has been approached by a CIB officer because she thinks Luther is involved in the murder of a series of unpleasant suspects. With Ripley now wearing a wire it doesn't look good for Luther when he dangles a suspect from near the top of a high rise tower block!

This was a good opening to the series although it might seem a little confusing to people who haven't seen previous series as no time is wasted introducing the characters. It is a bit over the top at times but that is part of the fun and Idris Elba is great in the title role; making Luther's excessive actions seem extreme. We are soon shown who the killer is so this isn't a mystery; that doesn't stop it being exciting though as we still have no idea how it will end for Luther; will he arrest the killer or will the killer be added to the growing number of suspects who have died during Luther's investigations. In a side story Luther appears to be getting involved with a woman who crashed into him; whether this is leading to romance or to something sinister remains to be seen. One warning about this episode; it is rather wince inducing; I had to close my eyes in the scene involving the blender… I don't know how much was shown but there was a lot of blood splattered everywhere when I opened my eyes again!

Terrible Episode to a Great Show

Author: Nathan Long from United States of America
10 January 2016

I give this a 3 of 10 solely for it's development of the over-arcing themes. Though the man coming back from retirement to watch him solve a case he had already solved is - in itself - legally unethical -- and the viewers are supposed to believe this man to be a paragon of justice, unencumbered by contradictions such as these. That part is silly. If you can overlook that, then the over-arcing themes are decent enough. Here's where it gets to be painfully bad television: The final victim is going to call the police when she thought she heard a cat in the attic (who would do that? also, her phone was quite literally in hand), then when it becomes obvious that there is an attacker upstairs murdering her lover; she puts the phone down without calling the police and hides in the only hallway closet while gasping loudly instead of running outside and making enough noise for neighbours to hear and get eyes on her... I felt like I was watching a parody of a bad 90's Scream film. Whoever wrote the script for this episode either needs to be sacked or have their assistants who wrote it for them sacked. If I hadn't seen good episodes of this show beforehand, I would probably never watch another after seeing this one.

Rubbish episode, great show.

Author: torfly from Dubai, UAE
14 July 2017

The ending scene where a paranoid woman scared of a cat noise and want to call the police, and then do NOT call when she hear a fight upstairs is too far fetched is completely stupid, in lack of better words. Sad really, the show is a good 8 for me, but this is rubbish. The rest of the episode also lack the "nerve" normally provided in Luthers world. He almost gets more portrayed as some crooked action hero.