IMDb > Worm (2013/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Worm More at IMDbPro »

Unique Perspective

Author: faithhopelovelife from United States
28 July 2013

The biggest reason to see this film is not for the plot line, but for the unique perspective resulting from the method of filming. It was shot with a GoPro Hero camera mounted to a Snorricam and produced with a seamless edit. This enables the audience to experience the events of the story along with the main character, Worm, in a cool way that I'd never seen before. The second biggest reason to see the movie is Andrew Bowser's portrayal of Worm that wins the audience's sympathy so fully. The story line isn't bad either, with the exception of a couple of plot holes. These were totally overshadowed by the thrill of feeling like I knew exactly what Worm was going through every second. I saw the film at DeadCenter Film Festival, and at the end of the movie, it was obvious from the audience's reaction that they had come to identify with Worm and his plight completely. I can't wait to see what Andrew Bowser comes up with next.

Brilliant execution.

Author: macgruder from United States
4 September 2015

This film is one with a gimmick. A big one. Shot entirely with a GoPro strapped to his chest, director/star Andrew Bowser pulls off an amazing feat with this film.

From what I've read it was shot in two 50 minute takes. The logistics of this film shoot must have taken Bowser, the other actors and producers a long, long time to figure out.

The story is of "Worm", a loser living in a small town in Oklahoma, who gets wrapped up in a tale of murder, deceit and betrayal after agreeing to do an odd job for a mysterious outsider in town for business. He has to navigate throughout the town, trying to avoid both the police and the people behind the crimes he is being accused of.

This all happens in 90 minutes of real time in which we watch Worm try to navigate throughout places and people all while we see every second of what he is doing from the front of his face. The decision to make the film this way makes you really pay attention to the acting of Bowser and realize that he is a very fine actor. The exclusion of most of the other actors besides a few glimpses behind Worm's back and their voices has you blind to most of the scenarios surrounding the actor, but also increasing your sympathy for him at the same time. It's like looking into someone's soul for an hour and a half and feeling what they are feeling, whether you want to or not.

I've seen most of Andrew Bowser's other work that he has done. Several full length movies, dozens of shorts that he has directed and this one seems the most personable to me. I really enjoyed it and look forward to his next feature film.

It's freely available on youtube in it's entirety so check it out.

Andrew Bowser (worth watching)

Author: llucllumador
14 March 2016

Worm is an interesting movie. It's filmed entirely by a GoPro camera mounted facing the protagonist (Worm) played by Andrew Bowser, and he is pretty much the only character we will see with the exception of a few glimpses at some other characters in the background.

So, can a movie so restricted by its camera angle and low budged hold your attention for 90 minutes? I can, thanks to Andrew Bowser.

The story it tells feels sometimes rushed, specially towards the end, where some segments can get a little ridiculous. But it does not matter because that's not the greater strength of this movie.

This movie is filmed in (what seems like) a continuous 90 minute shot, and that whole story is unfolded during this time period. It lets Andrew Bowser shape and mold the charismatic protagonist "Worm" in real time, you see him go trough all variety of emotions seamlessly, with no cuts, so it feels all the more real. The story ends up being just an excuse to showcase the incredible array of acting skills Andrew has.

That's why I gave it a 7 and not more. Because with a little more work on the plot and secondary characters this could easily get an 8.

It is an average story with a very interesting artistic direction that has an exceptional actor carrying the whole thing. But I think that was the point, for Andrew to present himself and show off what he can do. And I hope he gets hired for something bigger and better after this.

And yes, it is worth watching, it'll keep you interested in "Worm's" story for its full length. Unlike other movies I've seen recently (James Bond "spectre" and The Martian come to mind). It is actually pretty fresh compared to what you would expect from a triple A movie studio.