IMDb > "Girl Meets World" (2014) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Girl Meets World"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Girl Meets World" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

A Great Spin off

Author: zack_wall from United States
27 June 2014

Finally! A Disney show that doesn't completely suck! Girl Meets World might not be everything Boy Meets World fans were hoping for, but it certainly isn't too disappointing. The two main friends are basically female versions of Shawn and Cory, which is awesome. We also have adult versions of Shawn and Topanga as the parents, which definitely makes the show worth watching. For kids growing up today who missed out on Boy Meets World, I think this "reboot" will more than make up for that loss. It's got great writing, a good cast of child actors (after all, it's pretty hard to find amazing child actors), and an enjoyable atmosphere. It will be interesting to see what sort of life lessons this show instills on today's kids, and how they compare to the many lessons Boy Meets World taught us growing up. I for one am excited to see where this goes.

10/10 will keep watching.

New and Nostalgic at the same time

Author: sarahbeth333 from United States
27 June 2014

I grew up on Boy Meets World. I tuned in to ABC every week to see what was new with Cory, Shawn, Topanga, Eric, and the rest of the gang, and I still watch it on ABC Family. Since finding out about the reboot of the show through Girl Meets World, I knew it could go one of two ways. 1. It will be down-right awful. Sure, sometimes BMW could get a little cheesy, but this is Disney, it could be cheesy to the 100th power. It could be over-acted, pay no homage to all that made BMW great, be poorly written, and just be ridiculous... ORRRRRRR 2. It will be awesome. It will draw older viewers (who may now be parents of the show's target audience) in with the nostalgia of BMW, not only with cameos of stars from the original series, but also through plot lines, quotes, and details that any BMW fan would instantly grasp. It will be appropriately acted, and well written.

Thankfully, after the pilot episode, I can say that the latter statement is true. I can't wait to tune in to future episodes and relive my childhood through the next generation. I believe it can stand alone without the throwbacks, but I can't say that wasn't what made me love it.

Cory and Topanga forever.

BMW Fan - Excited for GMW before, even more excited now.

Author: Megan Harrison
27 June 2014

Just watched the pilot and am excited for the rest of the season. Huge fan of Boy Meets World, so I was super excited for this. But I also tried to keep my expectations in check - it's its own show, the 1st season of BMW was fairly cheesy, etc. Well, I really liked it.

Of course I'd like more Cory and Topanga, but the show is about Riley and her journey. And the two of them are incorporated, and I imagine will continue to be. (Think of how much we got to see of Amy and Alan's perspectives and they didn't even have the cult following.) I love the relationship between Riley and Maya - very Cory and Shawn. I think the actress playing Riley has the right amount of preteen curiosity and awkwardness as well as the ability to deliver humor. She seems like she'll be able to "grow with the show" as Cory did.

My only complaint is that some themes seem a bit forced - the "finding the world and making it yours" repeated over and over, and the "Riley is going to save Maya" motif is a little obvious. However, it's a kids show, so adult viewers need to remember that kids don't pick up on repetitive elements as easily.

For those worried about it being too "Disney", all I have to say is that after watching part of the "Disney Channel Original Movie" that was on before the pilot, this show is MUCH better than typical Disney shows. I think it has a lot of potential.

I think true fans of BMW - the ones who love it for the wholesome and important messages it sent - should give this show a chance. As much as the majority of its viewership is probably made up of the adults 20+ who grew up with the original, the show is for a new generation. And I, for one, am happy that Michael Jacobs and April Kelly are bringing this kind of programming to today's kids. I think fans of the old will appreciate the tributes and similarities, and new fans will enjoy a new, quality show for a generation that needs it.

Very Similar to other teen Disney Shows

Author: Alex H from United States
9 August 2014

While Boy Meets World targeted pre-teens to adults, Girl Meets World is strictly for the pre-teens to teen age bracket. With silly story lines, Girl Meets World is much more like a Hannah Montana, ICarly, or Wizards of Waverly, than it is to the original Boy Meets World. While the format of learning a life lesson is still there, it is found in a much sillier way.

One thing that I really don't like, is that Cory and Topanga don't act like parents. For example, in the episode that Riley wanted to go to a dance instead of going to Cony Island to ride the Cyclone with her father. Cory pouts to Topanga, tries to guilt Riley into going, and is just over dramatic. There was a similar episode on Boy Meets World, where Eric and Cory don't want to play in the father-son softball game. There is no silly drama, in fact they don't even know that they hurt there father's feelings until after the game is over and he went by himself. In the original Boy Meets World, Amy and Allan came off as believable parents. Corey and Topanga come off as being silly and over dramatic.

FYI like Morgan in the early seasons, the little brother Auggie, is awesome!!!

The new production is going to win new fans, and call back people who miss T.G.I.F

Author: Jesse Boland from Burnaby, BC Canada
2 July 2014

They are all back don't you worry.

Actually it looks like this new telling should do really well, the cast are all there (including posters of Feeny everywhere, and maybe more) Same sappy messages, and the only real change other than the flashy update to today in NYC is the Gender swap. The big change of course which will do exactly what Disney is hoping it will, which is to hook them young boys, and girls and keep them hooked as they grow with these characters, and get more, and more burned into young minds in the endless re-runs.

Truth aside, and down to the show, Savage playing the father, and teacher is the perfect place to find him these years later, while Fishel has not yet shown us what she is into now. Savage is playing Feeny just right I think, the same writing is evident as the girls, and other kids in the class are always given just enough rope to explore, but then someone will always show up just in time to pull them back.

If this doesn't run for 5 years I will be surprised, as they have given lots of room for growth.

The true stand-outs are going to be the Daughter Riley who plays the innocent very well, and the break-out of the two has to be Sabrina Carpenter who play's Riley's best friend Maya (from the broken home of course just like Shawn) she looks way older than she is playing, but that is mostly just a lot of energy, and raw talent that is shining through. You will see their faces in the mall, or on commercials for years to come so just thought you might want a heads up.

I Enjoyed the telling of the first, and can see that this is something that we will all enjoy once in a while even if just for a little Cory, and Topanga love.

Jesse of www.Jesse.ca

A great continuation

Author: monstermayhem32 from United States
28 June 2014

Being a fan of the original boy meets world I will admit that I had some doubt about the spin off. However it turns out to be a real delight since the series picks up nearly 15 years after the the original series ended in which Cory and topanga are now living in New York with a daughter Riley and son auggie. Riley fills the role that was once Cory in which she is trying to find her eon place in the place in the world just like her father once did. Maya is the female equivalent of the way Shawn was in which both characters seem to come from broken families and use their witty sarcasm as a way of hiding their pain. The girls seem to have an unrequited love from a boy Farkle who happens to be the son of Stuart minkus. The new transfer student Lucas is the potential love interest for Riley. It is great to see Ben savage and Danielle fishel back in their signature roles again as though they never left. I look forward to see where the series takes off.

Darn good

Author: SanteeFats from United States
26 July 2014

I like this show a lot. Yes it is a spin on the old Boy Meets World but it is a really good one. Ben Savage and Danielle Fisher are now married with children. The older child is a young girl going on woman hood, she is now noticing boys much to daddy's dismay, as she progresses through the stages of growing up Ben has many issues with it. He wants her to stay his sweet little girl (what dad doesn't?) but of course she won't. Her best friend is a rebellious girl named Mia. She pushes the daughter, Riley, to break some frontiers including boys, much to daddy's chagrin and emotional angst. Then there is Riley's new boy interest, an apparent cowboy hick from the Midwest. I do believe he will turn out to be a lot more erudite than he starts out.

I don't know what the harsh critics were expecting!

Author: Matt Boil from Canada
13 July 2014

People who loved Boy Meets World (as I did) should re-watch the pilot episode of Boy Meets World before making any critiques on the pilot episode of Girl Meets World.

Watching the first episodes to what my memories of Boy Meets World was seems much more childish that the latter episodes. But this is what made the series so good in my opinion. I was 7 yrs old when the show started airing and 15 when it finished, and even though the series was always a family show, the problems and issues in the show grew more mature as I did.

Watching the first episode of Girl Meets World was not like watching HBO by a long stretch, but it was great to see a show for kids, similar to one that I grew up with. Michael Jacobs in my opinion does not disappoint because it captures the young with silly antics as you would anticipate to see on the Family Channel (early Boy Meets World episodes also had these) but brings in the familiar wit of Boy Meets World and having Ben Savage (Cory) and Danielle Fishel (Topanga)is a plus for people that grew up with Boy Meets World and watching it with their kids. I hope to see more cast members pop in the future episodes.

This show was a great idea to get families back together to share a common interest, and if Boy Meets World was any indication, I will expect to see the show develop maturity as the kids mature themselves...I don't know if the harsh critics were expecting a continuation of Boy Meets World for the adult viewers, but I knew that this show was going similar to Boy Meets World, which would mean that the show has to start for the young viewers.

Watch it yourself and make your own option, but make sure you understand that this is a kids show, and not a continuation of Boy Meets World for adults, and also I only have the pilot and second episode to judge it on so far...I'll give the show a running start before making any serious judgement, but IMO, its off to a good start.

So far so good. Keep it up!

Author: jogre17 (jogre17@aol.com)
30 June 2014

I grew up watching Boy Meets World every Friday night on ABC. A couple years ago I started watching reruns on both ABC Family and MTV2. As soon as I heard about this spin-off, I almost couldn't believe it. I thought it won't nearly be as good as BMW. I was still excited though. I actually had more confidence in this show than all of my other friends who liked BMW. I've been trying to get as much scoop as possible on when and where it will air.

When I heard it was going to air on Disney Channel I was disappointed. I knew that they were going to dumb it down a lot since Disney is a kids channel, but I knew what they were going for. LOTS OF VIEWERS! Disney already owns ABC so that doesn't make a difference, but they knew that they will get lots of kids excited for a new show and also bring in the views from older BMW fans that may be excited also. That I believe is why it was put on Disney Channel. The main thing I didn't like about the Disney Channel thing is that many adult themes that were used in BMW won't appear, but since ABC is owned by Disney they may pick it up and continue the show after a few seasons.

The main thing that you care about though is what I thought about the very first episode. I thought it was pretty good. Cory and Topanga (Ben Savage and Danielle Fishell) of course are back as parents raising their 13 year old daughter Riley and her younger brother Auggie. They definitely have the same personalities as they did in BMW and helps give that BMW feel once again. Riley's best friend Maya is like Shawn's younger female doppelganger. I clearly saw Shawn from the beginning by her personality and everything. That gave me that BMW feel again. It's like Cory and Shawn back together again, except it isn't. This is Girl Meets World, not Boy Meets World Part 2 - Grown Up! People may be upset that there wasn't enough Cory and Topanga in the first episode, but it's not about them anymore. It's the adventures of Riley and Maya now. Also, people may be upset that the first episode was more about Maya than Riley. Well, there were episodes of BMW when Shawn played a bigger role than Shawn. If you think about the show was called Boy Meets World, which means it could have been about Shawn, Cory, or even Eric because they were all boys. My point is they don't specify which girl or boy is meeting the world when in reality the all should be since they are all young, stupid, and learning very meaningful lessons.

I thought Girl Meets World was good. I am definitely looking forward to future episodes. I rated the show only 9 stars because Boy Meets World is still better. I highly suggest you give this show a shot. Just keep watching. Most pilot episodes aren't always the best, but the others really determine everything.

Sweet but misses its potential

Author: littleangelik
21 September 2014

As a fan of the original "Boy Meets World" I have mixed feelings about its spin off. Yes, I know that "Girl Meets World" is its own show but it misses much of what the original show brought to viewers. The good: Seeing Cory and Topanga and the sweet, family friendly nature of the show. Sadly that's where the good ends. "Girl" may be sweet but it is corny to the point of being childish (this could stem from the show being on the Disney Channel instead of ABC but that's beside the point). Cory and Topanga are are pathetic caricatures of themselves with little depth and no real parenting skills (they almost act like friends with their kids instead of parents). Riley comes off as squeaky clean and never gets into trouble. Give me a break. In fact none of the characters have any real depth or imagination. Maya, the best friend and supposed female "Shawn Hunter" of the show is hardly the trouble maker the original show had (Compare Maya's lame protest in class over having to do a homework assignment to Shawn blowing up a mail box with a cherry bomb-no contest to which is worse). And I don't buy Cory Matthews as the next Mr. Feeny. In short, if the show want to save itself, it should get back to exploring the timeless themes of love, family, and life in the realistic yet fun manner that "Boy Meets World" did.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]