IMDb > What About Dick? (2012) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

What About Dick? (V) More at IMDbPro »

80 minutes of Eric Idle-lead silliness

Author: fullmoon7461-908-439866
7 September 2013

I only rated this a 6 as it's a bit hit and miss as a story, but if you are a fan of Brit comedy and comic actors, then this is probably worth your time.

full of wacky double-entendres along with nods to Monty Python and the Rocky Horror Picture Show, it's fun to watch all of these talented people have fun with each other.

I have NO idea how they kept from laughing through the whole thing. As much as I love Eddie Izzard, he really just can't do accents and even mocks himself on that account.

Jane Leeves is very funny, I had forgotten just how good she was on Frasier as Daphne.

Poor Billy Connolly has the hardest time of all in keeping a straight face!!!

Overall, worth a good giggle :)

Fantastic fun

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
11 January 2014

That What About Dick? has such a great cast(always have been a huge Tim Curry fan) is reason enough to see it, another reason being that if you loved Spamalot(which Eric Idle also had a big hand in), you'll love What About Dick? With What About Dick?, the story is bizarre with not a huge amount structurally(and it knows that) but the humour and performances are such a joy that that feels irrelevant. In terms of performances, the cast are spot-on on the whole but Russell Brand I felt was the weak link, lacking the experience and comic timing of the rest of the cast so he comes off as pallid instead. Jane Leeves is very funny, like she was on Frasier- one of my personal favourite shows of all time- and she sports not a bad singing voice either. Sophie Winkleman is elegance and beauty personified and fares well with the rest of the cast too. The funniest of the ladies was Tracey Ullman, a riotous performance that was one of the second act's high points. Eddie Izzard's Italian accent is not the greatest, however he does bravely with his roles, even going back and forth to each microphone and back. Billy Connolly does struggle to keep a straight face with a few fluffed lines and a speech impediment that compromised diction-clarity but actually that was part of the fun watching him.

Not just how funny his lines were and how he was enjoying himself but how his colleagues were reacting to him, especially with Eric Idle(doing a fine job personifying a piano that ties the story together) and Tracey Ullman. My guess is that some was improvised because some of the trying-hard-not-to-laugh facial expressions did give an indication that they weren't expecting what was coming out of Connolly's mouth. Jim Piddock didn't have as much to do but is hardly a liability, in fact he is charming and his banter with Curry is hilarious. And Tim Curry doesn't disappoint either, every gesture, expression and line delivery holds your attention immediately(Curry is just as good at comedy as he is playing villains), and his singing still sounds great. They are aided by a truly brilliant script if a little more in the first half than the second, full of jokes(some hilariously rude), absurdist humour and sharply observed and fun-to-spot digs at Rocky Horror, Monty Python, literature, history and British culture. The radio-play concept, emphasised by the microphone stands, was done to clever effect, even with hand-held scripts the performers still seemed to know what they were doing, sometimes not even seeming to need them. The sound effects amuse too, while the set is simple but not tacky and the costumes give a sense of time and period, some elegant(eg. Winkleman's) and some distinguished(eg.Curry's). The songs are tuneful and very memorable with lyrics that just as hilarious and witty as the script, the standouts being The Lonely Trout, Italia, Different Not Gay and Astrology. To conclude, really fantastic fun, more than well worth anyone's time. 9/10 Bethany Cox

Simply spectacular

Author: professorjeffreypbrown from United States
19 May 2016

Couple points of note. First that cast: Russell Brand, Billy Connolly,Tim Curry, Eric Idle, Eddie Izzard, Jim Piddock, Tracey Ullman. We're talking the royalty of British comedic actors. And if you know Python, specifically Eric Idle, you just know there's going to be some crazy,zany, complex lines to read. I think Billy Connolly had the worst of it, especially with that Daffy Duck inspector's voice. The fact that he cracked up on several occasions testifies to the challenge of some of the passages and the plain-old fact that Idle just wrote some very funny stuff. The readings were all fantastic. I think Connolly and Ullman were the standouts, but Curry and Izzard had their moments too. It's zany, crazy funny material. And the fact that Idle wrote it all by himself is the most impressive thing. I'm a writer myself, so I know what it takes to put down ninety minutes of solid material that flows evenly. I just can't say enough. Sure worth your time, but pay attention, the material flies fast and furious. You don't want to miss a gem or a nugget.