IMDb > "Maron" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Maron" More at IMDbPro »

Worth watching

Author: Rob Wilson (rowi111@hotmail.com) from Bryantsville Ky
14 January 2014

It's hard to separate my fandom from WTF and this show to give an honest review, but I'll give it a shot. My initial reaction was to stop after the first episode. Frankly, Marc's acting was a bit hard to watch at times. But knowing his ungodly knack for comfort on the radio, my guess was that he would get better. My patience paid off. You see a mostly steady increase in his confidence as each episode progresses, though I'm not convinced they were all shot in order.

Marc has the ability to both draw you in and annoy you in the same sentence. Gregory House couldn't do this any better. But that is his real life. What might seem like a tense moment for some, as Marc often confronts those friends (and enemies) he has on his podcast, is simply his bread and butter. He operates in a world of bitterness, jealousy, and chaos. He openly admits his frustrations with life and the decisions he makes, yet recognizes his unhealthy habits.

Much of this comes through on the show but in a far less depressing manor. What some may consider as "Hollywooding" (odd thing to say about IFC) Marc's life, I would say is a necessity to making this story watchable.

The cameos (especially for fans of comedians) are another part of the show that lifts what could have been dark and depressing sitcom, into a competent story of a neurotic entertainer. And while this fictional world parallels Marc's life in some ways, it manages to keep it's distance at times.

This is no Louie. It does not try to be. Both shows are very different. Surprisingly, Maron would seem to me more appealing to a broader audience than Louie, though I hate to compare them. Louie's show reaches a level of dark that I think most people will not appreciate, though it obviously has a large following (and yes, I am a fan).

For now, this show belongs on IFC. If Marc's acting continues to improve, Maron could really benefit from a network change. I would encourage everyone to give it a shot (It's on Netflix!), to see if it's right for you.

Brilliant

Author: stasw-1 from Australia
29 June 2013

I have had the pleasure of watching 8 out of the 10 episodes so far and I love this show. The balance of humour and sincere reflection is well maintained and I love the ongoing theme of Maron trying to dig inside himself and find the best of who he is. (All the while wrestling with his neuroses and general crankiness at the world).

For a show that is meant to be about one man's personal drives and insecurities, the other characters are really well drawn, from his manic vitamin enriched father to new girlfriend Jen who brings an acutely sane kind of crazy to Maron's life.

Marc Maron strides through each episode with great comedic sensibility and an honesty that captures a head on approach to life that veers from sincere self-exploration to full-on neurotic hissy fits. The celebrity cameos are worked in beautifully and there is never, ever a dull moment.

its great and i think its only going to get better

Author: jmac-46 from United States
12 June 2013

the other two reviews were pretty f**king harsh, those guys need to get laid. i hate a lot of shows and other types of art forms but you still have to respect that people worked their ass off to create it and make it. at least they followed their dream and succeeded instead of writing reviews on IMDb.com . I love the show Maron and i think its going to grow and get even better. i love comedy and i want as much as possible all the time. I've been a listener of the Podcast since the beginning and i always listen to Maron's rants, he has some very funny, very deep introspective, and intelligent things to say. i would like to see Andy kindler and the kyle character more and i even thought Marc and Dave Foley had great chemistry, id like to see Dave again too. all in all if you are into neurotic comedy i think you'll dig this show.

and my favorite shows are parks and rec, 30 rock, community, arrested development, Louie, curb your enthusiasm, portlandia, comedy bang bang, Tim and Eric, Delocated. so i'd like to think i have a good idea of whats comedic gold.

Original and witty!

Author: joseph-kalouch-843-934262
20 December 2013

To be honest, I never heard of Marc Maron before this show, so the reason I watched it was to figure out who the hell he is! I'm quite happy that I did, as both my wife and I have enjoyed this 1st season and are hoping they will continue with it.

Maron is obviously all about Marc Maron, who plays himself on the show. It's a smart dramatization of Maron's daily life, with the people that surround him and his sharp pod-cast.

I wish the guy below me would stop comparing this to Louis..I don't see the connection. the acting is different, the way the show is written is also different and the whole plot/message is also different.

I felt that Maron is very honest straight comedy, very original from all the other shows these days and although both Louis and Maron rank first and second on my list i feel they are very different. I hope this goes on for more seasons!

A Midlife Dramedy That Can Be Enjoyed By Many

Author: Josh Thomas from United States
29 December 2013

I'm 17 and I was introduced to Marc Maron with Almost Famous, but I really got to know his brilliant, real-life comedy from his stand-up show ("Thinky Pain") on Netflix. I was pleasantly surprised that IFC picked up a show for Marc Maron that has a slight, "Louis" (Louis C.K.'s show) style. Which led me to, at first, be a bit concerned that there would be a lack of originality, but this show is definitely original. It's depressingly hilarious to see this struggling comedian in his late-40s trying to get famous with a podcast all the while, looking for acceptance with offense. Marc Maron is a different comedian and it's refreshing to see him finally get some well-deserved notice. I hope to see more from this comedian, because I feel like he has a lot to say - be it hilarious or amazingly true.

Old stand up comedian finally gets shot

Author: rockfishcc8 from Tampa, Fl.
9 August 2014

Marc Maron has been on the stand up circuit for well over two decades,however it took his podcast to finally break through on IFC with his own,horribly written show.Maron is most famous for calling other comedians sell outs and claiming he was funnier and always better looking.Bragging about his conquests sexually,usually 20 year olds he claimed,is another Maron staple which he uses in this show.

The episode I just saw had Maron angrily denying he acts a lot like a woman,followed by his asking if he looks fat.This from a man who liked to call others sell outs?If I wanted to listen to a 50 year old man bitch all the time while worrying about his cats.,I might find this moderately amusing.But I don't on either count.Mash,Taxi,Cheers and a host of good comedies usually turned to sentimental drivel at the end of their runs,due to running out of really funny stuff.Maron just starts up right there.You have to spend over half the show listening to this egomaniacs personal problems.Something stinks!!!!!!!!

Decidedly unfunny like Louie, but you'll probably not kill yourself after!

Author: wjpiv
24 June 2014

Get ready not to laugh! Ever wondered how the comedy sausage is made? Here's your chance to see the laughter being mechanically separated from the sad lonely misunderstood life of a comedian! I'll say this much in his defence, Maron is slightly less grating than Louie C.K. when he acts his little heart out. He comes from a place of rage on a consistent basis, so his more than abundant whining tends to lean towards angry old man rant whereas Louie C.K. sounds like a depressed Deputy Dawg crossed with a suicidal Eeyore when he tries to do serious acting. Nevertheless, if Marc would only realize that the 60s ended long ago so he can stop saying "man" every two minutes than that would be totally far out and groovy. Also, could he please never have sex on screen ever again. I know that it's all the rage lately thanks to people, like cutting-edge feminist savant Lena Dunham, for unattractive people to get laid on camera. However, when a dude pulls that BS, it just seems self-indulgent unless the actress involved is equally unappealing and let's face it, working actresses, even if they're "character" actresses, don't tend to look like a constipated old shoe. Anyway, just like Louie, I will continue to watch this show, because I hate myself and I don't deserve even a few minutes of pleasure, let alone a lifetime of happiness. It's truly part of my penance for being such a bad person over what I can only assume are multiple evil incarnations. Besides others keep calling it "art" given that American culture is so devoid of any mastery of dark comedy so many of us North Americans don't know for that genre (hint - people tend to still laugh at it - awkwardly, but still there's humour of the funny variety involved). Still it could be worse... After all, in France, they still think Jerry Lewis is funny when he does his "Ching-Chong Chinaman" impressions and I don't think that it's even in an ironic sense.

Better as a download

Author: OldDeliSlicer from United States
18 May 2013

The comedian Marc Maron has an interesting story. I read his autobiography. That same story is not to be found in this stale sitcom version of his life. Woefully copying the formula of other self-titled series based upon a comedian's actual circumstances, this is one of the more lugubrious shows you will ever watch. As far as the real story: Maron's career was in decline and all but over when he made a Hail Mary pass at becoming a pod caster and interviewing other comedians. The show took off, driven by increasing star power, but what made the show compelling was Maron in the role of interrogator and psychiatrist, not comedian. When a lot of people listen to WTF they fast forward through the first ten minutes which consist of Maron's actual comedy and rants before settling in for a conversation with the guest.

The sitcom calling itself "Maron" tries to replicate this origin story, placing tracing paper as a guide over the movie that did the same for Howard Stern called "Private Parts," but winds up being derivative and grating. Giving Maron the comedian center stage without the star power of his guests just underscores why he never was able to become a star. He's really unappealing and one note. What I learned from watching this tripe before I bailed was how deceptively easy people like Seinfeld, Louis C.K. and Larry David make it seem playing themselves. Maron is not a good actor. His talent seems rooted in being truthful and this series is filled with false notes. The plots are predictable and the resolutions safe and easy. What's truly pathetic are the staged interviews within the show now filled with the lower tiered names that are comparable to the low rated network that airs this show, IFC. Check out who the advertisers are and you'll learn everything you need to know about how low the viewer-ship must be.

Technically the series looks like it a show for You Tube. It's unpolished. Still, Maron's real life story is fascinating and even inspiring so read his book instead of watching this homogenized and boring fake version. The show isn't truthful, bludgeoned by executive notes to make it more accessible for the masses it will never reach because masses don't watch IFC. Such a shame.

About these comparisons to Louie

Author: laballatician
4 May 2013

If its trying to be like Louie, it fails.

Louie is self-centered without being narcissistic. It's dark, but deep. It has heart. Plus, it's hilarious. It's freaking poetry.

This show? I came in ready to love it, but I'm left feeling frustrated. It's mean-spirited. It's narcissistic in a way that completely lacks the self-awareness that Louie has. Even the moments that feel designed to make us think Maron has the ability to mock his self feel false and prideful.

I don't really think it's fair to compare shows, though. Each should be judged on their own. And on its own merits, Maron ultimately fails because it's not funny.