IMDb > One Direction: This Is Us (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
One Direction: This Is Us

One Direction: This Is Us More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

I'm 46, a guy, a Beatles' fan, and I liked it!

Author: claytonchurch1 from United States
4 September 2013

I'm 46 and the father of five daughters, the three youngest being in the One-Direction target age: 12th, 8th, and 6th grade. My daughters (including a 22 and 20 year-old) have managed not to go gaga over the Back Street Boys, N-Sync, the Jonas Brothers, Justin Bieber, and the like. 1D has been a little different, in that they caught my girls' interest and have kept it. My youngest three wanted to see this, and I surprised them on Labor Day by taking them. I thought about just dropping them off, but am glad I didn't. I read a critic's review that basically said that these guys are truly nice, decent guys, and that that comes through in the movie. It does.

I'm a huge Beatles' fan, so for me, much of the movie was spent not only enjoying the music (really, it's not bad stuff) and their humble and charming personalities, but also evaluating the sociological aspects of their "Beatlemania"-type popularity.

Here's what's interesting in the comparison. Unlike the Beatles, these guys are not skilled musicians and phenomenal songwriters. Mainly, they just sing, and they're good at that. What lies under their popularity are two things that also lay under the Beatles': 1) they are very humorous and relaxed (lots of quick, on-the-fly, funny comments); and 2) they're working-class boys (lads) who are really great friends and enjoy each other. With the Beatles, I've always thought that their palpable friendship and fun humor were the factors that made them so magnetic--they enjoyed each other, were great friends, and had fun with each other on stage and off. This is even more true for One Direction, as you don't have the leadership struggle with 1D that was there between John and Paul, nor the building resentment of a George. None of One Direction is trying to become the leader, and all are avoiding being the Justin Timberlake or the Sting. They really care for each other, are great friends, and, most striking to me, are tremendously and truly humble about their success. Along with this, they verbalize many times how each member is necessary, how they'd be less successful (or may not have even made it) had one member been missing, how it was a freak of nature/act of God, so to speak, that they wound up together, and that they'd all be doing menial jobs back home right now (factory worker, fireman, working in a bakery), were it not for their fans making them big (and they're really appreciative of their fans, and treat them well). Last thing on this: there's a segment when they go back home, and we see none of them acting like a big deal with any of the folks in their home towns. That was really refreshing.

Certainly these guys aren't the musical giants the Beatles were--not even close. But just as fun, even to adults? Yes, and maybe even a little more so. This movie, the "Hard Day's Night" of One Direction, was a really fun watch.

The Worst Documentary I Have Ever Seen

Author: TheRetroNerd
31 August 2013

I'm gonna start off by saying that I know that I am not the target audience for this movie. This is for the prepubescent little girls who like their "music". But, a documentary should entertain someone no matter what the topic. A good documentary would entertain anyone no matter if they like what the documentary is about or not. That being said, this movie does not do that. It is pretty much an hour and a half long commercial for One Direction; not a movie. This movie was like the first 20 minutes of the movie 'Moonwalker' but if it was the whole movie. I can't exaggerate enough on how this is the worst documentary ever. If you wanna sit through a hour and a half long infomercial then be my guest. But, if you have a functioning brain and would rather watch something that resembles a movie then I'd stay away from this.

Brilliant

Author: Meg Allen from United Kingdom
30 December 2013

Okay, so I'm a massive directioner, I can understand why people are commenting saying they do not like it because it is about a boy band whose fans in general are teenagers like themselves. I don't understand though why people are commenting saying its sh*t and a waste of time, surely if they think so strongly that way, they would of realised near enough at the start of the film if it was for them or not, and if they decide it wasn't then go and 'make better use of the your time' I think that it is a perfect film for directioners, and the boys should be proud of their achievements and their stories, and making this film is one of them.

A Great Movie!!

Author: esternhagen from United States
20 December 2013

I loved this movie. I watched this movie for the first time when it came out. I thought it was going to be just another stupid biography but it was amazingly good! It isn't just a bunch of boys screwing around! There is good and happy moments and then there is the sad touchy feely moments! They are hilarious and loving boys who have made it so far in life. They are there for their families, fans, and friends and no matter how much they get caught up in their career they will never forget about the ones they love. Most people hate on them but after they see this movie they will take interest.I can't wait to see them perform live! Directioners... this one is for you!

Really quite good

Author: John from Boston, MA USA
24 May 2014

It is difficult to understand why anyone would pan this movie.

I watched this on an 8 foot high-definition screen. The images are razor sharp, the color is wonderful, the editing is in a modern style but not too jumpy. The story flow should keep your attention. On a decent 5.1 surround system the sound quality is very good. If there were technical flaws I was in a good position to find them. I didn't find any.

You get to see the members of the group perform and go about their lives. If you say (like one reviewer) that it was too scripted then you weren't paying attention. The boys revel in being spontaneous and doing what they want to do and wearing what they want to wear, or so it seems. It kept my interest.

All in all it was just fun - and I'm not even a fan.

Great movie of 1D

Author: Paola Sanchez from Venezuela
28 May 2014

I really love the movie because first I am a big fan of this boy band and I really like them, the another reason for I like the movie its because in this movie we can see the life of the boys of the band, for example his houses and his family's, another reason is that in this movie we can see his concerts of his world tour called take my home tour and really I like this because they have never come to Venezuela, because of this I have not had the opportunity to see them in a concert in alive, other thing that we can see in the movie its all that happens in backstage (for example things like them playing and fleeing of the security guards,they practicing for his concerts, they mitting his fans in the meet and greet from his concerts and another things), also it is possible to see many of his interviews,all the country's that they visit around the world like Japan, Spain, Italy, Mexico, etc. For these reasons really I like the movie and I think that Morgan Spurlock (the director) and all his team did a really good work.

This wasn't a documentary. This was an hour and a half long infomercial.

Author: thehappyspaceman from United States
20 November 2015

First of all, I know I'm not in the target demographic for this movie, but I feel like an interesting and informative documentary can be made about something no matter what its subject matter is. And this movie... ugh. I'm not going to go out on a limb and say that One Direction: This Is Us is the worst movie I've ever seen, because then someone could bring a different one to my attention that's even worse, but I will say that it's definitely the worst concert documentary I've ever seen. And even that feels really wrong, because at the end of the day, this was just propaganda. As a movie, nothing happens in it. As a documentary, it relies on the audience already knowing everything about this band. And as something called "This Is Us," I don't even leave it knowing all their names, much less anything else about them. There's no plot that it builds up to, there's no conflict or resolution, and this seems to be a common problem in the era when any schmuck pop star can get a theatrical movie made about them (such as Justin Bieber, Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus, and the Jones Brothers). And for a 3D movie, there isn't even anything interesting to look at apart from the five guys in the band going around and pointing at things. I actually lost a lot of respect for its director Morgan Spurlock when I saw this movie. It felt like he wanted to make a better movie that wasn't just a huge commercial, but was held back by someone--probably the record company--and instead made this. I'm glad to see that even some of the band's own fans are seeing through this quick grab for cash and are leaving negative reviews. Movies like this are created with zero effort and are only made to steal fans' money, because the people who make these movies know that some people will buy anything as long as it has a popular band's name attached.

Bad editing. Boring.

Author: kluccis from Latvia
3 January 2015

Throughout the film i thought, that it's a live concert recording. Songs, that they showed were mostly slow, so it was hard to be awake sometimes.

Whole movie was like all their bloopers put on in one film. It was without core. One Direction guys are too young, to make a movie about them. It was clearly seen, that they had nothing to show us, apart from their childish jokes on tour.

Overall, you can see, that directors of the film knew, that theaters would be full of little One Directioners, so it was easy money to them. But from documentary view, there isn't much bad to say. I mean, you can't actually shoot wrong with documentaries.

Nice concert film about One Direction

Author: lisafordeay from Ireland
10 October 2014

Let me start off by saying im not a crazy fan of 1D,in fact I knew them since X Factor back in 2010 while they were runner ups to Rebecca Ferguson so yesterday I bought the DVD for a bargain at my local supermarket and decided to watch it today. The film chronicles the 5 boys Louis,Zayn,Niall,Harry and Liam who all rose to fame thanks to The X factor as they were all solo artists who got together by Simon Cowell and since then they are the biggest boyband in the world. They have been to London,Berlin,NYC,France,Amsterdam you name it even Japan and Sweden. What interested me was the fact that EVERY girl is stone mad over them and there is hardly any male fans since 1D is aimed at tweens.

So in the film it goes into depth with the 5 lads who are all devil may care average teenagers who are enjoying the fame and spotlight. Also the 5 lads parents are also in this film as they talk about what its like for there sons to be in the biggest boyband ever and there is one where Zayn Maylik buys a house for his mother which was nice of him,and another scene was Niall Horan going undercover as a Scottish bodyguard and his saying oh One direction is crap.

Overall there isn't much to say about the film as its just an everyday life of what its like being a pop star and the pressure it has on you. If you seen Katy Perry's Part Of Me concert film you will get the jest of it as its basically just a behind the scenes documentary. Their greatest songs are in this film like Live While Were Young,All These Little Things,Best Song Ever,and One Way Or Another to name a few.

If you love One Direction than this is for you,if not then skip it.

Out of 5 stars: 2.5/5

AWESOME Movie for Directioners!!

Author: sintona-kaur from INDIA
6 August 2014

This movie is a must for all directioners out there. Believe me It's awesome!! But I'll advice you to watch it in 3D because this movie becomes an out of the world experience in 3D. I loved the way 1D's life is shown in this movie. And the best part is when all of them change into superheroes for a second or two.

Its just amazing how their life has taken a toll. From X factor to this! They just do what the do best and do it with all their heart. They are like brothers and are really funny and that's what is shown in the movie.

In my opinion ,Nothing important is kept away from the audience. They are down to Earth guys who made it big just by believing in themselves. They are there for their families, fans, and friends and no matter how much they get caught up in their career they will never forget about the ones they love.

I don't understand though why people are commenting saying its sh*t and a waste of time, surely if they think so strongly that way, they would of realized near enough at the start of the film if it was for them or not, and if they decide it wasn't then they should have gone and 'made better use of the their time' though I think that it is a perfect film for directioners.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but when it is based on what others thinks and isn't logical, it's just pathetic. The boys are amazing lads and anyone with eyes and an open heart would realize that even if they don't understand why dedicated fans like me feel so proud and in love with them. They empower and have saved a lot of our lives, they're an incredible significance to us and will always have a special place in our hearts.

I'm a massive directioner so I loved the movie.Thank you Morgan for bringing us such a fantastic movie.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]