IMDb > Burnt (2015/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Burnt

Burnt More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

He yells a lot. Sooo he must be a great chef/coach/teacher/captain...

Author: Dr_Sagan from the Edge of the Cosmos
4 January 2016

There are a lot of movies out there where the leader of a team, talented, strict and know-it-all, tries to discipline his group, in the background of a match or a contest of some sort. Music, sports, army, classes, even spelling contests and of course ...haute cuisine.

Common factor in all these movies: The leader ...yells a lot! And he is mean to his pupils. And he doesn't forgive the tinniest of mistakes. And he has enemies. Or rivals. And an old teacher who was mean to him like he is now mean to them. And there is a purpose. A trophy. And a love subject.

Pretty much this summarize Burnt too. So, the premise is not so original but in the end it's all about the execution and the fun and the interest.

Well, I think in this department 'Burnt' succeeds. The plot has some clever twists. The pace of the film is right and there are some great natural performances especially from the chameleon actress Sienna Miller and the always serious Daniel "Nikki Lauda" Brühl.

You wont get any cuisine lessons with this movie though. I know this is not the point, but other movies leave you with some knowledge and an increased interest about the special craft. What is that haute cuisine all about? We only get a glimpse of that. Something about 'Culinary Orgasms' but we never get to understand what this could actually be.

Overall: Not boring. Good Pace. Miller's and Brühl's performance very good. Plus the movie itself is not ...fattening! (unless you eat a lot of popcorn!) So, What else do you need?

Ignore the negative reviews

Author: shbeach from United States
11 November 2015

A must see for those interested in the inner workings of a restaurant kitchen and the world of high end chefs. Most people have no clue what it is like to be at the top of the restaurant world or how difficult it is to be in this type of a service profession. The intense pressure they put on themselves to be "perfect". Is the movie a bit disjointed along the way, yes but the acting is stellar and its worth it just to see the food prep and get the overwhelming inside experience. Bradley Cooper is fantastic! Very good supporting actors. Many of them are unknowns. The kitchen scenes are the best. Watching the process and the artistry is a unique peek behind the kitchen doors. Go see this one!!

Visually appetizing, but bland taste

Author: Jazzy31133 from NYC
5 January 2016

Movies like burnt are so frustrating to watch and in cases like this, the fault almost always lies with the director and / or meddling producers. I am not 100% sure, but I believe that this script was on the black list and even if it was not it probably was damn good to attract the acting talent to such a project. The acting was well done (no pun intended) and none of the actors mailed in their performance. So why does the sum equal less than the parts?

In my reviews, I like to rate movies based on promise and delivery. The trailer is the promise and the viewing experience is the delivery. And I always try to give films the benefit of the doubt. Rating a movie a 1 or a 10, is not helpful to your fellow users.

When you decide to spend your valuable time and money on burnt, you know you're not getting a big budget, special effects extravaganza or a gripping whodunit. You want the movie to show you the inner workings of a kitchen, the struggle and cut throat atmosphere of creating and maintaining a top rated restaurant and some relationship drama that feels possibe. Doesn't have to be good will hunting emotion, but enough to keep us invested. The story and character motivations should never be so illogical or vague as to distract the viewer.

Burnt is not a complete misfire. I enjoyed the scenes in the restaurant kitchen, they were beautiful shots. And most of the scenes themselves were well acted, Bradley seemed invested in the role. The role actors also did an adequate job. The major problem was there was no real tension. The stakes never seemed remotely high.

SMALL SPOILERS: Bradley's character had a vague back story about drug abuse and wanting redemption, but he never seemed to really struggle. He vanishes from the restaurant scene after burning out, and then, after some self penance, he is able to finagle his way into running a brand new restaurant and in no time at all wins a Michelin star? There is some tension with the debt he owes, but you never feel worried because he could always borrow the money from the super rich Maître d'. And in the end his gorgeous ex waltzes in and pays it off?

You can tell as you watch the movie that there are some plot points that were probably compelling in the screenplay, but unfortunately just got lost in translation. I read that when the movie was edited, an actor's entire role was edited out. Maybe that was why the movie seemed kind of disjointed. Every genre of movie has fatal flaws. In niche genres like this, you never want your movie to feel "like a day in the life". It's a movie, give us some stakes. Burnt felt like I got a behind the scenes peek at running a top restaurant. If I wanted that I could watch a 30 minute Food Network show.

Final verdict: Bradley Coopers fans would enjoy. Otherwise, wait till it comes out NetFlix and you're bored one rainy night.

This question probably makes more sense in the forum section, but I find it an interesting parallel. Another food movie came out around the same time called Chef. It was marketed more as a family drama / feel good, subtle comedy. The main character also finds semi redemption by falling back in love with cooking, by going back to the basics after burning out. He also reconnects with his young son. I had the same after taste watching that movie. Cool scenes involving food, but no real stakes or unexpected turns. That movie, however, got stellar reviews. Sometimes I just do not understand professional movie critics at all.

Amazing!

Author: alivissianos from Melbourne, Australia
30 October 2015

Having worked in kitchens i found this incredibly realistic and everything in this film stays true to the life of so many chefs abusing substances and their passion controlling their lives. I'm not normally a fan of Bradley Cooper, however i was amazed to see his acting talents here and how true he was to a real chef. Definitely a game changer for his career after being unimpressed with him in hangover or wedding crashes.

If you have a passion for anything i think you'll like this film, it simply displays every aspect of what people go through when they're putting everything in their being into something, when it's all in, all or nothing, life and death.

9/10. A must see for all food lovers.

Badly burned

Author: nando1301-1 from Amsterdam, The Netherlands
8 May 2016

A sorry excuse of a film. Awful writing, from the plot to the terrible dialogs. There are so many goofs regarding what a real chef does in a high class kitchen, that you could fill pages with them. Too many inconsistencies, one after another. Examples: a two-star Michelin chef does not "do everything" by himself, shouting constantly at all his staff; he does not do the starters, the main courses AND dessert. There are "sub-chefs" who specialize in different items.

The film is so full of Hollywood clichés... It's "one of Hollywood's eight plots," set in a fancy kitchen environment: the plot reads like a sports film about a failed college basketball coach, trying to make a comeback. Such a waste of ingredients.

Excellent movie, both fun and inspirational.

Author: acosonic from Serbia
8 January 2016

Obviously kids are giving rates on IMDb, so јudge movie by it's IMDb rating is ridiculous.

I personally hope that IMDb will hide its rating, or at last categorize it somehow, because to be able to fully understand some movies you need to fit the criteria, and in this movies case:

A. You are aged over 20 B. You tried to accomplish something in your life C. You cooked at last 100 meals :) D. You are driven by passion in your life

In my humble opinion, Bradly Cooper's acting is awesome, I didn't really expect he can handle such complex personality well, but he nailed it.

The plot and storyline are perfect. I rarely feel so motivated and inspired after a movie. So, my thanks to the director, writers, actors and producers for creating this movies!

Keep up the good work!

Bradley Cooper is brilliantly convincing!

Author: jlvickers from Georgia USA
31 October 2015

Definitely worth seeing if you enjoy fine dining, haute cuisine, or are simply a Bradley Cooper fan. Convincing performances by a great cast. Cooper is brilliant and continues to reveal the depth of his talent.

Burnt offers a unique perspective and behind the scenes peek into professional kitchens, which I found fascinating and gave me a new appreciation for the demands, artistry, and creative genius of great chefs.

The message on the need for professional counseling and support for someone whose life has self-destructed through substance abuse was in balance. Watching Cooper's character struggle to start anew while still afraid to face his demons is a story line relevant to many. Excellent movie!

Found it hard to enjoy this movie even with delectable food in it

Author: awester
8 January 2016

I watched this movie simply because it starred Bradley Cooper and because I couldn't imagine a movie about food wouldn't be enjoyable. But the truth is I felt it was far away from being scrumptious.

Bradley Cooper's acting was not bad I should say, but it was just hard to love the character who was like an active volcano. Even at the end of the movie, I still feel he is gonna erupt anytime. The movie gave me the feeling that it wanted to touch on something but it never really reached there. There is always some distance between what it wants to tell and what it tells. Just like the part about Adam's history in Paris, I eagerly wanted to know how terrible it went all throughout the movie, but in the end I only got the impression it was pretty ugly. Some flashbacks might have helped. And what's the point of the language change? The intermittent use of French didn't add to the plot of the movie. It only gave a frail point that they used to live in Paris. And that's it.

The only scene I liked is the birthday cake Adam made for Helene's daughter. The only few minutes I felt I was enjoying it a bit. It was a tiny triumph overwhelmed by the tormenting characterization.

Must see for people who love cooking

Author: Jesse Maas from Netherlands
4 January 2016

Despite some pretty bad reviews I think it's a pretty strong movie. Especially for people who love to cook of like high-end dining, it's a great movie. Burnt gives an excellent look in the world of high- end dining and professional kitchens. Bradley Cooper puts on a good performance and makes the experience very real. The evolution his character makes may be a little predictable, but I think that's not a bad thing. You should not underestimate the acting skills of Bradley Cooper. The character is written for him in my opinion. Also the character that's played by Daniel Brühl, Tony, is an interesting one and I think that Daniel performs this role outstandingly. Tony is a very proper and tight man, but his character evolves during the movie into a very pleasant one. Brühl makes his character very real with the accent and a particular way he moves in. The plot of the movie may be a little predictable, but that's not a problem. I think all the roles are filled in nicely and all of the characters make the story into a real experience, not only about cooking but also about the difficult world of a Michelin-star restaurant. Summarized I can say this movie is a must-see for people who love cooking and things like that. It's not a mind-blowing story, but in combination with some great acting it makes the movie worth watching. An average of 6,7 is way to low for this movie in my opinion.

Movie Has Been Written A Thousand Times

Author: cullen73 from Canada
12 September 2016

"It must be great. Bradley Cooper acts in award winning film." But no. It's the same movie that every other actor has done at least once in their career. The lead is arrogant, chip on their shoulder, lacks social skills, loner by choice... There is sexual tension with opposite sex (usually) supporting character. This tension helps the lead start to let down their guard. Something happens that upsets the lead so bad they are worse than every before. Then the lead has a mental break down. The opposite sex character helps pick them up. Usually at that same time the sexual tension is broken. The lead makes peace with their demons from the past. Voila!! He/she is no longer an angry prick but a lovable person with great social skills. It all revolves around an unique career, skill or hobby. The only reason to watch the film. In this movie it is world class chef, but it could be a snake milker, innovative uke player or a deep sea crab hunter.

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]