IMDb > The Den (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Den

The Den More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Great modern horror. Not good for my cyber-paranoia.

Author: kuronox from United States
11 July 2014

This movie is very fresh and modern. I've never seen a horror movie done like this before (webcam style). I honestly don't understand all the negative reviews here. This movie was very fun to watch, made me jump a few times, and the story unwound perfectly. Don't be asking yourself "why is she filming this" - that totally defeats the purpose of storytelling. I feel like too many people might be going into this movie with high expectations? Sure there are some logical errors, but what horror movie is completely devoid of those?

Actually, don't take my review into consideration. Only consider all the other negative reviews and just give this movie a try. Then perhaps you'll like it a bit more.

I feel like the build up was great, the storytelling was fresh, and the ending was clever. The overall plot and ending might be a bit too sick and twisted for some (probably not for the average horror movie goer), but this is actually real life. There are some sick people out there and I feel like this movie made a great commentary about it.

Most original found footage I've seen in a while, and I've seen a lot

Author: victoryismineblast from Canada
11 May 2014

Cautionary tale finds a young woman, Elizabeth, receiving a grant to study the habits of webcam chat users. Elizabeth uses a site that allows her to randomly chat with literally anyone on her chat site all over the world.

Things quickly go bad as she and her friends and family are drawn into a nightmare from which they can't escape. I don't want to give anything else away as the reveals are so much fun.

This gruesome found footage horror has almost everything you could ask for in a horror movie. Parts of it almost play as a slasher and it has a lot of scares. I found references to several other popular horror movies and had a great time with this one.

If you are a fan of found footage please give it a try. Most of you won't be disappointed.

Why video yourself while being chased by a lunatic?

Author: j_erome888
28 March 2014

Its an OK film but one thing really bugged me. Why would you video yourself getting chased by a lunatic?! Its wrecks the feeling of fear in the movie. Instead of believing that the character was getting chased, I just kept thinking why don't you just drop your phone and get something more useful like a gun or something?! I think they should have not shot this movie purely with the characters cameras. I don't even know how these types of movies are getting popular. Like paranormal activity. Its just a bunch of poorly shot footage that is suppose to be scary. People the the film making industry are getting lazy to get those different amazing shots with the camera.

Starts with such potential, collapses into absurdity.

Author: joeywyss from Jackson, MS, United States
19 March 2015

**Possible spoilers *** The most disappointing thing about this one is it started off with so much potential and good execution, and then collapsed into stupidity. Cast with some actual talent who weren't stumbling around in front of the camera , a tightened script that wasn't stuffed with ad libs and improv being tossed off inexperienced actors, and production that didn't look like they went shopping at the dollar store. It even handled the found footage camera excuse with a nice twist, at least at first. It hums along building up a good head of steam, and then at the halfway mark, totally crashes and burns. Of course there's the inevitable and inexcusable camera angles as they keep their phones pointed at their faces while they run from murderers or phones drop at just the right angles during the attacks. Plot holes you could drive a bus through like strangers strolling through crime scenes surrounded by police and even interviewing witnesses or moving and removing evidence in full view of a dozen detectives, or expert computer techs who can't find spy-ware but can evaluate a multi server IP address, or cams that work even after hard drives have been wiped. Then it gets worse as it warps into some sort of Saw meets Texas Chainsaw movie, with even more plot travesty like not stopping unarmed killer with your sledgehammer. Then, the ending twist you can see coming a mile away, topped off with the writer/director wanting to make ' a point' at the last scene. So disappointing. Typical when writer/director is the same person.

Build Lead-up to Nowhere

Author: nysalesman from New York
3 October 2016

OMG, how many relatives of the producers, actors in the movie, or brain dead people are there for this movie to have so many high star reviews?

The movie is your typical shaky cam crap. One reviewer mentions in his title that this is the most original horror movie he has ever seen. Another a horror gem. I can tell you that this movie is neither original or a gem.

The first half is pretty good in that it is a lead up. Sets the stage, builds some tension, and gets you ready for what's to come. The problem is the second half goes into la la land. The antagonists are not supposed to be supernatural, but they have a magical ability to break into peoples computers, sneak into their homes, avoid the police, and not get hurt. I mean how many times does she have to stab these guys and run them over with a car before they are either seriously injured or hurt? The answer is multiple stabbings in the stomach just left a stain on the guys shirt and hitting with a car didn't do anything at all. And boy, did the second half drag. It just dragged and dragged on with the same crap to fill at least 30 minutes that added nothing to the movie.

There was a poor ending, with what I'm sure the writers thought was a clever twist. Unfortunately, it was neither clever or a twist. There was absolutely no closure. Yes, the ending did hint to the motivation of the perpetrators, but it never explained how they got super human and magical abilities.

Terrible

Author: kaitou1kid from USA
15 August 2014

This movie is by far one of the lamest and most unsatisfactory horror movies I've ever seen. Second only to Dark Skies. The end offers very little explanation and leaves the viewer with a lot of questions and more than a little frustrated. The plot takes twists and turns and ultimately turns around and goes backward leaving the conflict unresolved (kinda like Dark Skies). all of the characters are very static and have no progression including our main heroine. And not to mention most of the camera work (shot entirely through the cameras on the phones and computers) was a lot like Cloverfield what with all the running and screaming and the viewer can't really see anything unless she/he wants to end up with a migraine. I wish I hadn't wasted the seventy six minutes watching it, and my advice is that you go watch something interestingly thought provoking like The Tall Man.

A Horror Gem!!!!!

Author: Adam Baehr from New Jersey
9 August 2014

OMG those are my first words about this movie. I will first say I'm a Horror movie buff and I have seen more horror films then I can count and it is my favorite genre of films so with that said I will begin. I had first seen a trailer and heard about this movie a few months prior to it's release and I couldn't wait to watch it just based on the premise. I love found footage movies.

I will say that I didn't know any of the actors nor was I worried bc that doesn't always make a great horror film as this shows. The actors did a terrific job especially the main girl Elizabeth. I will say that for a short film it was Uber intense and very much kept you on the edge of your seat. The violence was gritty and in your face and the questions it raises are very valid especially from a technology standpoint. I for one don't scare easy at all and the jump scares were the best I have seen in a while and even knowing they were coming and it still got me was Impressive.

I would recommend this movie to any and all that love horror and appreciate what this film does in the time span it is allotted. I would also note that the movie does raise one or two questions but nothing that would kill the movie buzz once the credits start rolling. I for one hope this director keeps up with his career bc as I said I love this movie and it is def going in the books for direction as well as great scares and overall atmosphere.

First half > 2nd half

Author: Rob = from United States
18 January 2015

Unfortunately this movie's ending and 2nd half was just completely unrealistic. So you're telling me if you were getting hacked you'd still leave the laptop open at all times? A typical start when the cops and even her friends are doubting her, telling her she is crazy. There's a few comedy bits sprinkled throughout the movie, mostly involving penis videos. The plot gets messy once they kill an actual officer and it is discovered that there's possibly dozens of people working in this operation in some possibly nearby area, something that would definitely not be possible in the modern 1st world country. The ending really turned me off, the female lead almost escapes but gets captured, and forced to die on a web cam. Then it shows some dude watching it, for sexual pleasure? Then he pays to watch another video, you know because the FBI/NSA wouldn't have cracked down on that site and be raiding his house within seconds. Highly unrealistic, they should have kept a simple plot from the beginning and had people BE realistic about the situation. That pregnant woman was almost killed but she still slept alone in that house afterwords? what? eh

Lessons Learned

Author: davisonhorst from Florida
19 August 2014

Yes, this movie was done in a very unconventional format. A lot of people probably turned it off after the first 5 minutes or so as they were bothered by it. However, if you stick with it to the end it all comes together in a strange sort of way. The very beginning sets the stage for what is to transpire throughout the film. I believe that this movie is in the Lessons Learned category. Shows what could happen when people are too revealing about themselves in today's high tech electronic media. How, in an instant, your reputation and lifestyle could be altered in such a way as to destroy you. In some instances it could lead to devastating circumstances and possibly end your life. Be prepared for a few shocking scenes unlike you have seen before. It was necessary, I believe, to show the reality of what probably happens in some of these instances.

Could have been better.

Author: amber-e95 from Nottingham
13 March 2015

I did enjoy this movie, don't get me wrong, there was some good tense moments and on the whole it's a pretty smart way to go about their sinister desires. I know if someone sent me a video depicting someone being murdered I would think it was someone's idea of a sick joke... But there's also too many moments in this film where I wanted to whack them round the head myself! Under no circumstances, would a pregnant woman living alone, after just receiving a call from their friend screaming at them to get out the house, upon hearing clattering somewhere in the house go and look for the perpetrator!! Having experienced pregnancy myself, I can tell you that every instinct in your body would scream at you to get the f#ck out of there. There were a few more incidents like this that frustrated me beyond belief and the ending reminded me of a techno version of Hostel but all in all, not a bad watch if you're looking for a mild horror to watch alone one evening :)

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]