Justice League Dark (Video 2017) Poster

(2017 Video)

33 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
David takes on Goliath ,,, and David wins
A_Different_Drummer24 January 2017
You have probably wandered into this review expecting some kind words about a "good effort" from Warner Animation but, of course, compared to the concurrent zillion-dollar Dr. Strange epic from Marvel, "no cigar." Well, you would be wrong.

For two reasons.

First, in spite of the big budget, and the big Benedict, Dr. Strange suffers from all kinds of narrative problems, and gaps in continuity. Mainly, I think, the result of trying to cram too much into a film -- trying to give a typical Marvel backstory while at the same time trying to present an exciting self-contained thriller.

(Dr. Strange also suffers from following too closely the original arcs of the original comics. And, before you start pounding on the NOT USEFUL key, you should know that this reviewer not only read all the originals in the series but actually SUBSCRIBED to Dr. Strange back in the day, which meant that the nice Marvel people actually mailed me each issue as it came out. In an envelope. The original story arcs were far from Marvel's best, compared to its better-known heroes, featuring the same two villains over and over, Nightmare and Dormammu, each taking turns boring the reader to death.)

Which brings us to this ambitious JLA entry, an attempt to show that the mighty DC library can possibly take on the mighty Marvel library, sort of a David Goliath thing....? Frankly, they nail it.

Part of the fun is the script. Man, is it tight. One of the best I have ever encountered in a "superhero" animation. Early in the story, a hot babe who is actually the essence of Constantine's magic house does a 30 second analysis of Batman and concludes he is mainly pain and darkness.

"How do you manage?," she asks sincerely.

"I HAVE A BUTLER" Batman responds deadpan.

That is one of the best lines of dialog I have ever encountered from DC. You could even hear the guys over at Pixar getting nervous. And, even better, the quality of the writing holds up for the entire film. Wow.

To sum up, the high score is because DC/Warner attempted the impossible, taking on a Marvel live action film with their own animated product at a fraction of the cost, and more or less pulled it off. And because the boyz at DC/Warner understood that sometimes less is more, and wisely kept the other (over-exposed) members of the JLA in the background. And, most of all, because this is an entertaining and engaging film.
123 out of 151 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A solid DC animated piece that will not be for everyone
thatguyyouknow18726 January 2017
This movie is an interesting take on the JLD run. I do not agree with everything it does, but I do believe it holds it's own. One complaint people new to the magics of the DCU may have is that Zatana and Constantine seem to have limitless power. Trust me there are lomits, it's just this is a short animated piece, that really doesn't have time to go into that.

If you can overlook that, then this movie will entertain you, but it will fall short if they never do anything with JLD again. Over all the animation is toght, the plot is dense with out seeming to rushed, and they got personalities right.
24 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another solid addition to DC's Animated Feature Universe
Michael Yee29 January 2017
In the wake of the inconsistency of the live-action, universe building marathon, it's refreshing to see a simpler, more straightforward, yet still effectively intriguing story-telling pace set by DC's animated feature titles. JLD continues the trend of it's predecessor, excelling at brief but complete introductions to some of DC's more obscure characters, bringing them out of the shadows. The use of the overly popular Batman is very fitting here and die-hard and new fans should find a bunch to like. Animation is solid, the voice-casting is even better. Admittedly, this kind of animation is not for everyone (it's not on the grand scale of say, Disney). In retrospect, the Suicide Squad film would've benefited from a similar screenplay/storytelling. Hey WB, can we get some of these writers on board with the live action stuff?
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best version of a great concept
hasheerzulfiqar25 January 2017
After a bad year for DC animation in the form of Batman the killing joke. Justice league Dark makes up for it and more. The story follows the exploits of some of DC's biggest magical characters. A simple yet well told story with enough intrigue and heart to keep one's interest. The visualization of magic was perfect and the abilities and variances of each character were well done. A personal worry for me before watching the movie was the amount of batman, considering he was front and center on the cover. Yet the movie uses him well. As nothing more than and outsider, with some action during the climax. The voice acting is spot on from Matt Ryan's reprisal of Constantine to Camilla Luddigton as Zatanna. Jason O'Mara does a good job as batman and although not as good as Kevin he is a good replacement. it must be mentioned that some may find it overwhelming to meet about 8-9 magical characters from the depths of DC's lore as this is the first movie outing for some of them and they range from straight forward to down right weird, they all have enough screen time and charm. Overall a solid movie to add to DC's brilliant library of animation and one that has great potential for the future.
21 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Different but ended up being the same in the end
TurtlesFever30 January 2017
"Beings with supernatural powers join together to fight against supernatural villains. This team of supernatural beings include John Constantine, Zatanna and Jason Blood also known as the demon Etrigran."

Directed by Jay Oliva, Justice League Dark brings a new story with different characters. It started off well, intriguing and different, but ended being a cliché movie. Still entertaining and fun to watch, but a bit disappointed at the end.

The actors were all great. Got to love Matt Ryan as Constantine, he's perfect, and he has a really good chemistry with Camilla Luddington who portrays Zatanna.

I feel like Batman was not needed and put in the movie for the sake of it, but I understand why DC wanted him in there, so that people have more interess in this film.

The film is rated R, but it could have been even darker... Anyone 13+ will have no problem with it, I don't see it as a 18 years old type of movie. But it's still more mature than other DC Animated movie.

Overall it's pretty enjoyable. I would recommend to take a look at it if you are interested in new characters and a different vibe. Worth a watch !
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the Top three DC Animated movies
Saurabh Anand24 January 2017
After watch 'Batman: The killing joke' I thought now DC don't have good stories to make nice animated movies but I prove wrong after watching latest DC animated movie 'JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK'. Hell of a story-line, some immense, powerful and totally unexpected heroes. Even though in this movie there are only 2 or 3 shots of whole justice league team except Batman. Fighting scenes are just amazing. Dark Magic is in the air. People killing people, heroes fighting heroes. I an not going to tell you about the whole movie from the first scene to last one because I want to create suspense for you but this suspense is totally worth it. So just download this movie and watch and you will be amazed.
35 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A fun watch
Jatin Ganhotra6 February 2017
Surprisingly, a fun watch for a superhero movie featuring characters from the DC universe.

I didn't expect much from the movie but I had quite a pleasant surprise and enjoyed watching it.

The movie did justice to the plot and I feel gave enough attention to each of the characters in the movie to stand out for themselves and explain their actions.

A lot of humor and subtle emotions displayed throughout the movie in an articulate manner. DC universe has a lot of potential to grow if they keep making movies like this.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Justice League Dark
Argemaluco18 February 2017
One of the most audacious decisions of DC Comics during the launching of The New 52 was the comic Justice League Dark, which promoted the integration of "magical" characters (such as John Constantine, Swamp Thing and Zatanna) to the universe of "normal" superheroes (like Superman, Flash and Batman). Many of those characters were kept for years (some ones even decades!) under the shelter of the publishing house Vertigo, in which editors such as Karen Berger and Shelly Roeberg organized a sturdy sub-universe theoretically included into the DC Comics cannon, but with its own rules and continuity, established by authors and artists akin to those themes. The comic Justice League Dark broke that barrier, and even though it never was a big sales success, it earned various fans throughout 4 years and 40 editions. However, I have never been one of those fans, and as a consequence, my expectations for the animated film Justice League Dark were quite low. Fortunately, the movie ended up being much better than I expected. The simple premise is pleasantly complicated with betrayals, false clues and the gradual acceptation of Batman by his "alternative" colleagues. In fact, I liked the magical plot of Justice League Dark much more than the one of the movie Doctor Strange, specially regarding the coherence in the villain's plan and the clarity in the answer from the "good" ones. I also found the humor much funnier, thanks to the sarcastic reactions from Batman when something completely away from his earthly experience happens. The voice performances are perfect, and the animation is above the average of the DC Animated Universe. In conclusion, I found Justice League Dark an excellent film on its own merit, and a very promising augury for future collaborations which had previously been relegated to the "fan fiction" world.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Take a walk with me on the darkside...........
AviCoolChatt25 January 2017
So we finally have a Justice Dark movie, eh? Bloody hell its time.

Let's get one thing sorted though. Its nice to see Batman in the movie, and he has ties to Zatanna actually - but its a stretch to see his usefulness in this universe. But John and Bruce are actually quite alike, except for the backstabbing thing. They both see the world more black than white and are the ultimately escape artists with plans within plans. One is a human walking with gods, and the other is a conman playing the angels and demons.

Coming to the movie, the animation is solid and I loved how they used the spells with multi coloured sigils for different mages. The character designs are nice (though I could do with a more fresh faced John, that aftershave look was doing him no favours) and the action scenes are well rendered.

Story: There are actually three threads here, two are character stories and one the main A-plot. Both Deadman and Jason Blood get fleshed out backstories though I dispute the latter was in any way better than the one given in the Timmverse. That was actually tragic but it seems Jason's backstory keeps getting changed to the main plot whenever he's involved to make him more important. Deadman and his budding need for friends and love was more intriguing and he was a good comic relief. The main plot of Destiny resurrecting and plaguing people with nightmarish visions would have been bland if not for Ritchie being involved. So Ritchie is a seriously bad luck guy. His Hellblazer end was worse, but he was a nice twist when I was expecting someone like Felix or Winters to be a pawn of Destiny (we all know he was to be the main bad guy, c'mon!). All in all, the Deadman back story was shoehorned, but he was necessary for the plot. I just wish Bruce tied in better, especially given how awesomely he handled an alternative version of Destiny in the Timmverse.

So overall a nice introduction to the Dark Universe of DC and I'm hoping this can be expanded to a good two and a half hour life action feature film in the DC movie verse. Some points of improvement: 1. Don't include Batman in everything. Be confident in your other properties and take a chance DC! 2. If you replace Matt Ryan, do it well. He's been a great casting choice and hopefully whoever his counterpart is in the movieverse, lets hope he captures the character well (accent which has been a problem for Matt, is not as big an issue as his portrayal). And the romance with Zatanna was done well. Include that. 3. Etrigan was brilliant in this movie. But ensure he doesn't always have a backstory change just to be relevant! 4. Be better in integrating Origin stories. Deadman's was superfluous and jarring to the flow of the movie. This is one thing BvS got right in how they showed Batman's origin. I would have placed this origin at a movietime when Rama Kusha the deity connected to Deadman gave him the task to unite everyone. At the beginning of the movie maybe.

Overall an above par movie with a solid cast and a good story.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
As a casual comic reader, i liked it.
leftmefordead24 January 2017
Only writing this because there's no other reviews listed at the moment. A basic summary - We're introduced to the backstories of each character as the generic story/villain plays out in the background until we get a more focused conclusion at the end, with a few connections to protagonists like the etrogan/sorcerer(villain, ritchie,), tho that felt a little thrown in as fan service, it worked. I know ritchie is a old school character from the hellblazer series. So its a great animation to watch it you're interested in learning more about dc characters you were unaware of or didn't know well before. And for avid comic fans i'm sure seeing less appreciated characters on screen, and not done poorly, would be a satisfying thing to watch. Tho i don't know the characters in depth so perhaps they were done poorly to the astute comic fan. But for me, it seemed more fleshed out that other DC films in there treatment of backstory and context for each character. Except batman.. Who was thrown into this film for the sake of it and almost takes this rating down to a 7 for that sake... But his role ended up working. So i can forgive that DC cash grab/afraid will fail without batman approach.

Ultimately, this is the next big DC film to come out since the Klling joke.. Both of which i had high hopes for. And for me, This is the better film of the two by a bit. Perhaps because i expected the killing joke to be really brilliant and it was a mix of batgirl and pretty good. This film fit my expectations allot more. So i expect allot less people to be let down by it, especially DC comic fans.

7.5/10
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I Have a Butler xD
adonis98-743-18650330 January 2017
Beings with supernatural powers join together to fight against supernatural villains. This team of supernatural beings include John Constantine, Zatanna and Jason Blood also known as the demon Etrigran. Justice League Dark is DC's Newest Animated Film and probably one of the best ones in a while it was dark and action packed but also pretty funny when it was needed to with most of the humor being delivered by the great Batman himself voiced by Jason O'Mara who although seems to be the main guy in the story he really isn't. Matt Ryan reprises his role as Constantine and fans of the cancelled show will not be disappointed by his voice performance and overall i found the film very enjoyable with the pacing being really good and each character getting a good introduction and amount of screen time. Like i said it was funny, dark and bloody at times and for me way better than The Killing Joke for sure (A+)
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It is a nice movie but expected a lot more
ironbat-8541710 February 2017
Warning SPOILERS ahead. I assure you this movie is good but its not great if have not seen it go watch the movie its worth your time but don't have great expectations before going to buy this movie. Its like any other New 52 DC movie and I would say it is better than some of the last DC movies. Well I like the point some major flaws and great little things about the movie - 1. They over emphasize the presence of Batman.Don't get me wrong batman is my favorite superhero. 2. A weak and predictable villain.The villain of this movie reaches some power levels which are quite very high.But he is easily defeated by some brains by falling by the old Trojan horse technique. 3. Entertaining but not deep characters 4. Has many unanswered questions. 5. More action expected. 6. More Darkness was required. 7. More tension was required to enhance the flavors. 8. Expected to see Dr. Fate 9. Shouldn't have been rated R
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
it's.... okay. no more no less, which is a shame
MisterWhiplash4 March 2017
This was a surprisingly dull entry in the WB/DC animated run of films. Just a run-of-the-mill plot, odd voice-acting at times (maybe the comics explain it but why does Deadman sound like a cab driver?) and a lack of Swamp Thing - I know that's a petty thing to say, but Swamp Thing is an outstanding character in the comics, and is so little used here he barely should make the cover of the DVD (Batman gets most prominence because... Batman, but, honestly, Green Lantern is in this more than ST).

It's not that I can pinpoint to a specific moment like 'here is where this whole thing falls off a cliff and omg it's so good until before then. Jay Oliva's direction is simply standard throughout, never really rising too far above what is absolutely required for such a boilerplate comic book story, and I think it's because there seems to be so much potential with these characters and the world that it's set in that to all of sudden see that it's just... well, time to fight a God that is doing all of this because, y'know, God and all that, that it falls radically short. Not to mention there's things that make it feel painfully standard like the 'oh no here's the twist/reveal that this character was not what we thought he was!' that feels weak and hackneyed.

Even the writing for a character like John Constantine, who is a wonderful bad-ass in his own series, is often here giving simple exposition. Occasionally a character will have a good line or quip, and the writing tries really hard (and maybe once or twice succeeds) in giving Zatanna some dimension and pain in moments with her magic usage. But overall this feels poorest in the writing than in the animation, though that comes standard as well. Lastly, it doesn't help knowing that there *could* have been a out of this world JLD movie from Guillermo del Toro, which is probably another in the long ranks of lost, promising works of his.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My second favorite DC's Animated Movie
Yoza Nirwan4 February 2017
Well, that's a lot to say about this animated movie. Firstly it was astonishing. This is far better than what I suspected. Justice League vs. Teen Titans (latest JL animated movie before this one) had put me on the ground with DC's Animated. But, somehow JLD picking' me back to hell... I mean heaven. There are so many good things that pull me back to DC's animated. I like the way they introduce each one members of the league. Especially Demon Etregan. The backstory of him could be another animated movie that would love to watch. And the way they connect his back story with the main plot is tricky. I didn't see it's coming. That is some awesome idea to pull someone like me back to the game. The action though is really good. By the way, Batman is so funny in this one. The way he reacted to all of these craziness of magic is make me giggle a little. And yet i love it. So do Deadman. The voice actors has done really good job. One of my favorite of course Constantine. I think he is the actor that plays as Constantine in Arrow TV show too. All i have to say about his performance is "well done". That's it. I have nothing to say anymore.

Wait..... I forgot about something.

Of course SWAMPTHING. How can I forget about him. He is my FAVORITE part of JLD besides Demon Etregan. DC please i beg to you. MAKE SWAMPTHING HIS OWN ANIMATED MOVIE.... 😉
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Moderately enjoyable
Pramitheus24 January 2017
I put up this disclaimer before reviewing anything related to comic books and that is, I am not a very avid comic book reader because of it's unavailability here. I keep myself at pace via websites and I am certainly up to date regarding the DC animated movies. Believe it or not, but I've watched all of them.

SCREENPLAY - The story and the dialogues are very 50/50 but thank you DC, for making it R-rated. The banter is pretty good. Especially Deadman and Batman. They have the best punch-lines and Batman's "hmmm" always cracked me up. Without going too much into detail, a part of the movie felt a tad bit like Kingsman. If it's a reference to the comics, which the readers can point out, then it's cool but to me, it felt a bit clichéd. The expository stuff was surprisingly kept at a minimum. There was some of it of course but, I've seen in the other animated movies where everything just comes to a halt and some character is just hurling exposition. The callbacks between Zatana and Constantine sometimes felt over-used. I have watched the T.V. Show of Constantine, so I know what happened in Newcastle but they were ranting about things that happened all over the world. I mean, maybe it's entertaining for the comic-book readers but from a writer's point of view, using the same trope too many times reduces it's effect.

ART-DIRECTION - Let me get rid of the gripes I had about the animation. First of all at around 17 minutes into the movie, Deadman is opaque and transparent even when he hasn't been made visible by Constantine. Second, sometimes the expressions of the characters didn't change with the dialogue. I know it is nitpicking but you'll begin to notice after some time. If that would happen to a live actor, I would call it a wooden performance. Now, the pros. The action sequences were amazing. Especially the second last fight. That really got me pumped up. Earlier there used to be a lot of cut- away's during a fight sequence. The difference here was that each individual fight was done for a longer time before interjecting it with a scene. That increased the intensity of the fights by a notch.

VOICE-ACTING - There were a lot of known actors and actresses doing the voices like, Rosario Dawson as Wonder Woman, Alfred Molina as Destiny and of course Matt Ryan as Constantine. It's so sad that his show got cancelled. It was the only DC character I was invested in, especially due to his performance. Nicholas Torturro was amazing as Boston Brand. I know people will be hypothetically punching me for saying this, but he felt like the Deadpool of the lot. All the others were great as well, no complaints in the voice-acting department.

FINAL VERDICT - At one point I was thinking that what is Batman doing in the middle of all this magic and hocus-pocus. Just then all these magical elements started to deconstruct his character and I was like,"Oh! That's why he is there". It is quite rightfully rated R because there is a lot of violence, but personally, I wanted a little bit more. Maybe I am sadistic but if you agree then give me some assurance that I am not as sadistic as I think I am. Do give this one a watch. I am sure DC fans will, but if you're a fan of animated movies, I am sure this one won't disappoint.
10 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
DARK Indeed
john31028 January 2017
From the powerhouse of DC comes yet another good film if not awesome to some others. the main character s are constantine batman, zatanna, swamp thing (a cameo of sort),deadman,demon etrigan, black orchid (cameo of sort). The story is really good and almost close to the quality of other good films like JL doom, crisis on two earths. The twist near the end is quite good and not expected. It really surprised me and of course the film does indeed lives up to it's name "DARK" for including some really dark scenes which i won't mention and thought it was quite violent for even DC but that's where it's good. The voice actors are perfect specially Matt Ryan and his hard British accent,batman's and deadman's dry humor is on point. Another thing i want to point out is the music which i know or hope that everyone will like because it's seriously good- haunting and eerie perfectly fit for this kind of film. The film's really good for both casual fans and hardcore fans alike, although it could have been better but for their first outing with the occult it's very very good, they do need to make another story with these characters with spectre and other anti heroes.

I personally love to see the underrated and less used characters who are indeed very awesome. Dr occult, the phantom stranger, nightshade and various other occult dealing characters with even deadlier villains. The ending leaves you wanting more and i am disappointed as there was no post credits scene. here's to hoping there's a sequel.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very good
jmuller13-134-876923 February 2017
This is by no means their best but it is up there. *SPOILERS*!!! Starts off like any JL animation then quickly goes to it's R Rated spectacle. Batman, As always, Rules.... Even death is afraid of him. the voice acting is on a brilliant par. the beautiful Rosario Dawson fill our minds with her gracious voice as Wonder Woman. As a fan of the new Tomb Raider game series I can comfortably say that Camilla does yet another great voice over. And to hear her in other things besides Tomb Raider is a treat. I have always loved the DC Animated films and this is no let down. So for anyone who complains about this (the people against BvS and Suicide Squad {Great films btw}) Read a comic and appreciate what we are getting. Love y'all
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Justice League Puke
dcarsonhagy11 February 2017
I am not going to spend too much time on this big old mess, either by boring the readers of my review or inciting a riot--take your pick.

"JLD" is an ANIMATED story about people world-wide experiencing visions of ghoulies, and goblins, and long-legged beasties, and things that go bump in the night. So, natch, the Justice League decides to investigate.

I did learn a few things I did not know about these "marvels": (a) demons get together and play cards. Enchanting. (b) there is actually such a thing as a "killer turd," and (c) Batman grunts quite a bit.

I tried to watch this three times before giving up. Actually, it put me to sleep every time. The animation is awful. Each male character looks exactly the same, with the only difference being a different outfit. Same thing goes for the females. There is NO life to any of the characters. In fact, the cast of characters were as lifeless as they were drawn.

This "thing" was rated "R"--why? I'll never know. Uninteresting (except for the rampage of the killer turd).
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An adequate venture in the darker Justic League universe...
Paul Magne Haakonsen20 July 2017
It was the cover/poster for "Justice League Dark" that made me decide to watch this 2017 animated movie with my son. Normally I am not keen on the superhero genre, be it animated or actual movie. But the cover and the synopsis for this movie sounded like it could be an interesting watch.

First of all I must say that I wasn't particularly much of a fan of the art style they used here. It didn't match that which was used on the cover/poster, so it was a sore disappointment to watch something that looked like a hybrid between the 1980s cartoon style and the Manga/Anime drawing style. It just didn't really work out that well for me.

While I wasn't a fan of the art style, I will admit that the animation itself was good, and the pacing of the story was quite good as well. The story didn't really have moments where it lost its breath and slowed down.

As for the voice acting, which is very crucial for an animated movie, then I must say that the actors and actresses that they had gotten together for "Justice League Dark" were doing quite good jobs.

The storyline was adequate, although it wasn't outstanding or particularly memorable. Sure, it was entertaining enough, but it had some gaps and plot holes.

Granted, I am not a superhero fan, but it was difficult to look at Wonder Woman in that particular outfit, and I must admit that I am not even familiar with the Zatanna, Destiny, John Constantine and that yellow demon character - I don't even know his name. So I guess parts of the plot and concept idea was lost on me.

Having watched it once now, I can say that I have seen it, and I know for certain that I am not going to return to watch it a second time around, because it just wasn't all that impressive. Plus, it is a superhero story after all, so not a win-me-over for me.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Its not perfect but it is enjoyable for comic book fans
secretzfan10 February 2017
Since this new 52 reboot in DC animation where all the films are based in the new 52 continuity they haven't been as good as they were previously. But as they have continued they really feel like there getting close. From the very start of the film it has this dark and deadly tone to it as we get some really gruesome scenes. Law biding citizens are doing heinous acts and things don't look pleasant.

Sadly the film's first halve doesn't live up to the rest. That right the scene that was released on the PlayStation network is probably the darkest scene in the entire film. Everything else is just par for the course and feels like every other Hollywood blockbuster with some over powered villain and some light in the sky.

The main antagonist really doesn't do the film any favors. He feels like he was plucked right from the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He is typical and kinda unneeded and is something we have seen before. There is just nothing new there.

The film does succeed tho with the way the characters are developed. Zatana, Constatine, Swamp Thing and Etrigan the Demon are given quite a lot of interesting development and we come to care about all of them. Deadman does also have a good role to play even if his voice doesn't really work for the character.

The voice work here overall isn't very strong. Aside from Matt Ryan returning as Constantine there are no notable performances which is kinda sucky. The casting director, Wes Gleason, needs some work. I wish they could get back Merdith Layne who worked on Justice League: Flashpoint Paradox and has Emmy Award on her mantle.

I know I sound like I am ragging on the film, but I did like it. I loved Constantine and Zatanna's relationship here. And I actually did feel all the other members got just enough needed screen time. I don't feel Batman was needed, but I didn't mind him when it was in the context of the film.I actually loved the way all the Justice League members were used.

So I would consider this a pretty good film. Maybe not worth the extra money on DVD or Blu Ray, but still a pretty nice film if your a fan of DC animation.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Different, but ended up being as superficial as a DC live-action movie
'Justice League Dark' follows the chronology from "the new 52" animated movies that was left in 'Justice League vs Teen Titans. The movie centers in a different and darker team of superheroes that have to join together in order to save humanity from demonic forces.

I think that this movie is a little bit overrated because, I mean, the animation was very good, and it was interesting for me to know these characters better, particularly John Constantine, and the movie started off very well, but then it became quite a bit superficial, to the grade of not understanding what was going on.

I also think that this movie was not worthy of an R rating at ALL! It is violent as any other DCU animated movie nowadays, but Son of Batman and The Dark Knight Returns Part II were far more bloody and violent than this one, and still they're PG-13. 'The killing joke' was definitely worthy of it, but this one is completely OK for anyone above 12. That was a big let down for me, because I was expecting something darker and much more violent than this.

Overall, it is worth to watch, but don't do it with very high expectations as I did, because you will be probably disappointed.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good Movie, More then I was expecting
Whoaa Nelly Boom Johnson24 January 2017
Bad expectations good movie. I didn't expect much from this title but this was actually a good movie, No spoilers but batman's "Hmmmmmmm"....LOL classic made me burst out laughing each time I heard it. Typical batman humor. As for the other characters the movie nails their characterization. I'm a huge fan of the comics although not as familiar with the magic side. However it was a great movie and I enjoyed it greatly. The action was good I didn't notice it was rated R until a Shi! bomb. But overall anyone 13+ should be able to watch didn't really see it as an 18 or older type of movie. A solid 9/10 because I'm a DC fan but unbiased 8.0/10
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The New52 movies are getting better again
DCfan13 December 2017
Considering how bad Justice League VS. Teen Titans was I lost my hope for a good movie from New52 but this movie changed all of that.

There was more fighting, scary and gore scenes and an actually story behind it even though I wished they used Hawkman, Flash and Martian Manhunter properly for a better movie. But I am glad the never used Hal Jordan but instead John Stewart. However there are a few scenes that are pretty WTF is this like when the purple alien lady walks into a fire place and burns to death and in the last scene when Ritche gets dragged by demons into the portal. Also some unexpected deaths like Alec Holland and Jason Blood's. The opening scenes of the movie was also WTF because Wonder Woman stops a woman driver after running over a bunch of people because of the demon visions, Superman stops a husband from killing his wife and two kids because again the man sees demons and finally Batman tries to stop a mother from throwing a baby from a building because she believed she gave birth to the devil. She throws the baby batman catches him/her and as an ending to the opening the woman commits suicide .

Overall considering all those scenes it was actually a good movie with a great voice cast and good music. It was even nice seeing Matt Ryan reprise his role as John Constantine.
Dark justice
TheLittleSongbird9 December 2017
There are some good to excellent animated superhero/comic book films out there. 'Justice League Dark' is not one of the best of them, but it is nonetheless a worthy effort. People will either love it, be disappointed in it or find a lot to like while finding things that didn't work, there's a bit of all three going on here.

'Justice League Dark' is somewhat too short, 75 minutes doesn't seem anywhere long enough for a film with so many characters, rich themes and a very densely structured story. As a consequence, some of it is a little rushed and there are instances of parts in need of more exploration or characters having nowhere near the amount of screen time they deserved (Swamp Thing is one of the biggest wastes).

Most of the voice acting is fine, others not so much. There could have been more variety in some of the female voices and while good as Brand Nicholas Turturro's voice doesn't fit Deadman's personality or look. Oh and the villain Destiny is underwhelming, too underwritten, weak motivations and defeated too easily.

However, to me, the animation was not a problem. The atmospheric colours and fluidity are simply remarkable. The music is haunting and beautiful at the same time, giving intensity to the action scenes and giving weight to the more emotional and dramatic scenes.

Dialogue is smart and intelligently written and while the story isn't perfect it's absorbing and thematically interesting, with intriguing use of mythology and mystery and celebrating in a fun way the supernatural elements. Constantine and Zatanna, and their chemistry, are particularly well done.

Not all the voice acting works, but most of it does just fine. Matt Ryan and Jason O'Mara (filling in giant shoes with aplomb) are perfect as Constantine and Batman. Roger Cross, Enrico Colantoni and Rosario Dawson are also very good fits. Whatever reservations there are with Destiny, Alfred Molina's voice work is not among them.

In summary, falls short of being great but has a lot of impressive elements that make it worthy. 7/10 Bethany Cox
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nothing like the justice league you knew
Tyfyh Tyfyh4 July 2017
I completely lost my interest after the ghost said to batman "Do something!". As a big Batman fan to see that someone is reacting and thinking faster than Batman makes you feel ripped off. There was another instance of hero-like behaviour, but I'm not going to spoil. I'll just say that after these moment you get the feeling "wtf?!". I'm rating it almost with the lowest score. These are not my heroes from the childhood I knew. I wish those who made movies like this.. would stop making them like this.