IMDb > "In the Flesh" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"In the Flesh"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"In the Flesh" More at IMDbPro »

brilliant English zombie drama

Author: Kevin Arthur Hopkins from rochdale uk
24 March 2013

well,I'm two episodes in and I'm hooked.i was a bit dubious at first about the cast,but i have to say they've all got into their roles brilliantly.its especially worth noting the performances of steve evets and ricky tomlinson,both truly underrated actors who have a larger than life screen presence and boy can they deliver those emotional scenes...

'in the flesh' is gritty,solid,brilliantly written and delves into questions never asked before.even the soundtrack has its moments of simple beauty.

if you like zombies and you like good television,'in the flesh' is well worth watching.

9/10.....(it loses a star because 3 episodes is not enough...which when you think about it,is a compliment to the writers and their ability to weave a gripping story....I'm hooked and 3 eps just isn't enough)

Zombie series with a brain and a heart.

Author: John Sherwin from Ireland
3 June 2013

Just watched "In The Flesh" and thoroughly enjoyed it. An interesting take on Zombie apocalypse, playing with our preconceptions of Zombie rules and presenting a tense personal drama. Many plot lines and complex relationships with plenty to make you think about in between episodes.

Disappointed to see one (spectacularly) bad review for this mini-series but I think all of the other positive reviews speak for themselves. If you want to see some Zombie carnage (which I do like) then this is not it. However, given that almost all Zombie films/series feature brains and blood letting action, I think there is room for something a bit more contemplative, gentle and thought provoking.

British Zombie Brilliance-EASILY on a par with the Walking Dead

Author: c_hookham from London
12 April 2013

When you see a new drama previewed on BBC Three you can be sometimes forgiven for thinking 'its on a channel for kids and student types -must be rubbish' and then forgot all about it. I remembered Id seen the trailer and decided to give it a go-not expecting much...after all its on BBC Three.

So I gave it a go and I wasn't disappointed. In the Flesh is a brilliantly written and acted, realist, British 'kitchen sink drama' take on the Zombie apocalypse that gives the viewer lots to think about on Life, Death and Love.

With standout performances from Ken Loach stalwarts Ricky Tomlinson and Steve Evets and newcomers Luke Newberry and Harriet Cains In the Flesh delivers as emotionally driven drama and a horror

Refreshing!

Author: mellyb-492-279453
18 March 2013

*CONTAINS SPOILERS*

I find it very refreshing the show starts off with a completely different view than TWD for example. We get to step into the zombie shoes; lead actor's humanity is re-installed by medication and we follow his rehabilitation back to society. As expected, it doesn't go nice and smooth.

We get to see humanity from a perspective most of us would not think to think on our own and I believe this is one of the strong points the show has.

The cast seems great and I'm very much looking forward to the next episode.

A reminder of how the simplest things can still be so complex.

Author: yourwardrobewasopen
29 March 2013

In The Flesh begins at the end, by asking us this question: What if the un-dead could be cured?

The un-dead have been cured, reclassified as Partially Deceased Syndrome sufferers and are returning to their homes, their lives, their towns. Towns filled with non-sufferers who have spent years fighting PDS sufferers (Rotters), fearing them, killing them to survive themselves.

And that's where we are invited to watch how the integration unfolds.

You could simplify it down to homosexual allegory (there is a queer aspect to the central character's storyline), but that's like saying that Casablanca is about a bar in Morocco. The philosophical concepts dealt with so far are more complex than that.

How we accept, or don't accept, the things we don't understand and the consequences of that. The concept of nature versus nurture (There is this scene toward the end of the second episode, involving a father and his daughter. Heartbreakingly beautiful in it's simplicity). Honesty - how we deal with the truth when it is often so hurtful.

Everything feels real about this series. Other shows I'm watching at the moment either break the fourth wall and remind you they aren't real, or they make mistakes and it takes you out of the world they have created for a moment - Revolution should work, but the soundtrack is mismatched with the events on screen and keeps jolting me out of the shows reality. The Following has fantastic actors and the idea is great but there are still moments where you catch yourself thinking something was a little too convenient, even within the confines of the reality of the show.

I haven't had that with In The Flesh yet. The soundtrack is minimalist, and that works for this kind of television. The actors are talented, the conversations on screen are so understated, which is refreshing. I hope the series creators can continue what they've begun, I think it will be interesting to see where this goes.

A great zombie drama!

Author: Papa-Poo-Poo-Pee-Pee-Shire from United Kingdom
22 March 2013

Now, I would have given it a ten, but I've only seen the first episode and drama's normally cannot achieve a ten and I doubt they ever will.

The good: This is one of the only drama's that aren't over dramatic, most over dramas have them overreacting to everything which is stupid and pointless. But in the flesh captures the drama genre perfectly like no other drama could ever do.

The action is spectacular and fresh, it's not everyday you see a zombie drama is it? This one just get's the job done just right.

The lighting sets a great effect that really capture the atmosphere of it all.

The storyline is also superb and strong.

It's very unique of how the zombies can be good if they aren't rabid!

The bad: Only 3 episodes, now this is one of the only bad points. It isn't so bad but I would love it to be at least six part drama.

Can be sometimes confusing, like sometimes you won't know what's going on. Like some people won't know what a rotter is.

9/10 it's an amazing drama that is worth checking out.

Great approach

Author: Not Jim from Brasil
23 July 2013

In The Flesh did something most series or movies can't do to me: it actually caught my attention, it motivated me to stay with my eyes glued to the screen and even go back when I didn't pay attention for a minute.

The thing I like most about this series is that it doesn't portray "zombies" as other productions. They're not the cruel creatures that come to kill you, even though they can be like that in their most primitive stages. Those who have the so called PDS are as rational or emotional as anyone who hasn't died before.

The fact that the protagonist is one of the "zombies" makes it more interesting, for we see their suffering from their own point of view, we feel their struggles to overcome the prejudice that targets them and to deal with the bad they involuntarily did.

With its moral questions, innovative plot and entertaining production, In The Flesh is definitely a must see. The only reason I didn't give it a higher rating is that it hasn't yet answered many questions I have, but I trust that new seasons will come and bring the required information.

Simply and purely amazing!

Author: Tony Richens from United Kingdom
22 March 2013

SPOILERS BELOW.

In the flesh was simply amazing from start to finish i was caught up in whirls of emotion , from disgust to empathy. Set after a outbreak for the dead rising from the graves the government has invented a vaccine that is injected directly into the back of the neck to stop the rotters from turning back into savage beasts they once where. All the undead are kept in a special army /nhs ran hospital to treat them for the illness. The government is someday hoping for them to return back to normal life by sending them back to their families.

However there is a horde of civilians that aren't to happy about the idea of co-existing with the once mindless zombies that ate human brains. Armed with some of the latest weapons they set out to stop them coming back into civilian life.

The plot is simply sublime never in my life of watching horrors would i of though about a event that could happen after a invasion of zombies. It was always just a massacrer and ended badly. But somehow the writers of this show have thought up something so unique its stunned and shocked me to my very core.

If your a fan of zombie films , and great British acting. Please watch this 3 part show! I cant credit the writers enough for bringing a new age of zombie shows on us.

What if there were a cure for zombies?

Author: bregund from San Francisco
11 June 2013

There must be an industry term for this style of television writing; it requires you to pay attention to every scene and everything that the characters say, so that you can form an idea of the world that the writer is creating. This is refreshingly challenging for the TV viewer who is accustomed to the plodding pace of The Walking Dead, for example. In The Flesh takes advantage of flashbacks to fill in the story as the relationships among the characters are slowly filled in. It's engaging to watch, but sometimes a bit disorienting.

The show hints at themes without overtly addressing them; for example, when a member of the HVF shoots the old woman, is it murder? No, because she's already dead. But was she the same person after she returned home? This is why Jem relentlessly needles Kieren, unconvinced that he is the same person that she grew up with. Also, will Kieren get older, or will he always stay the same age? After returning home, Kieren's younger sister is now his older sister. Will millions of PDS sufferers forever wander the earth, watching generations of normal people grow old and die before them, including their family? Can PDS sufferers reproduce? These ideas are ripe for exploration.

There are some odd but funny scenes: Amy and Phil sleeping together, Kieren's odd dining habits, Kieren looking into his own grave, the PDS social worker bit, Kieren & family playing the game of Life, Amy's hilariously inappropriate small talk, the processing center, "rotters" in the amusement park, Kieren's bizarre makeup to make him look "normal", etc. This show accurately portrays what would happen if zombies were repatriated into their communities, and it does it with an authentic, hometown feel, and all the paranoia and anger from the villagers that you might expect.

For all its good points, the show is sometimes manipulative and sappy, for example at the end when the father recounts finding his son, dead, in the cave, and father and son embrace; what should have been an emotionally crushing moment comes off as weak, especially with the father standing there blubbering. It doesn't work. But this show is so well-written that I was happy to learn that BBC green lit a second season; theses are characters that I want to learn more about, especially the colorful and irreverent Amy.

I expect the Syfy channel will probably create their own version and it will be predictably watered down and sucky.

A Brilliant Zombie Show with a lot of heart.

Author: IgnisWolf from Australia
12 December 2013

\Going into this series i knew only one thing about this show and that was it had zombies in it and I needed something to tie me over until the next season of Walking Dead arrived. What i got was an emotional roller coaster which not only takes the typical zombie gore fest in a new and less mindless direction but provides an inescapable emotional roller coaster ride which i would highly recommend.

The series focuses on Kieren Walker a recovering zombie who is placed back with his family and has to deal with his new condition as well as the prejudice and hate that comes from the accepting community around him. The concept itself is very interesting and many of the subjects it touches upon has real world and often very relative implications.

In The Flesh is not a TV show to watch for mindless entertainment, it looks deeply at real world issues and can get quite dark, looking at ideas of prejudice, suicide, sexuality and extreme religious views. What ever you do don't watch In the Flesh for loads of gore or violence because you wont get much, however this I think serves the show well and its sparing use of violence and gore even more impact when situations do escalate to deadly results.

Visually the show is a treat and beautifully shot, with excellent locations and a diverse range of settings its hard to falter the production values of this show. Acting is top notch and every cast member gives memorable performances and I think this is what really brings in the flesh to life. It creates these living breathing characters that you feel for and understand, which makes their problems even more relatable and interesting.

I have to warn you though that this is not a feel good tap your heels and skip off into the sunset type of show and I often tell people that if you get into this show there will be more than a few tears shed by the end. To me this show has positioned itself quite comfort next to some of my favourite TV shows. Well worth a check out. Bring on Season 2 is all I can say!